Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? (619 Views)

Will Capital Punishment Stop Looting In Nigeria? / Robert Clarke: Death Sentence Won’t Stop Corruption, It’s In Blood Of Nigerians / Gun Legalization Will Stop Corruption In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by HonSTONE(m): 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2017
WILL CAPITAL PUNISHMENT STOP CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA?

Nigeria is a country made up of over 186 Million inhabitants and the rate of corruption has increased dramatically over the years. Corruption has become a norm and a regular practice in the lives of the people. How then can Nigerians stop corruption?

Will capital punishment stop corruption in Nigeria? Let’s find out together.

Corruption is a form of dishonest or unethical conduct by a person entrusted with a position of authority often to acquire personal benefits. Corruption may include many activities such as bribery, embezzlement, unfair judgement, fraud, blackmail, extortion, favouritism. There are various types of corruption such as petty corruption which occurs in smaller scale, family corruption, academic corruption, grand corruption which occurs in the highest level of government.

However Capital Punishment is also known as the death penalty. It is a government sanctioned practice whereby a person is put to death by the state as punishment for a crime. Crimes that are punishable by death are known as Captial Crimes or Capital Offences and they include murder, treason, war crime, genocide, terrorism, crime against humanity. These are the offences that require capital punishment and the methods for the execution include shooting, beheading, electrocution, hanging, gas inhalation or lethal injection.

I ask again, “Does Nigeria need capital punishment law to deter the menace of corruption?”

Capital punishment is a punishment for capital crimes or offences but corruption is not to my knowledge a capital offence. Corruption is not only practiced among top government officials but corruption is now a general practice. There is corruption in our judiciary sector, academic sector, and political sector even down to our family.

First and foremost, there is a general moratorium on capital punishment in the world as a whole. About 102 countries have completely abolished the capital punishment for all crimes and 6 countries have abolished it for ordinary crimes. However 56 countries in the world retain capital punishment. Such countries include North Korea, China, Saudi Arabia, etc. yet corruption is still high in these countries. Countries are moving away from capital punishment, why should Nigeria adopt it to deter the menace of corruption?

Death penalty is inhumane. Killing people for their corrupt acts is not the wisest thing to do. Corruption as said earlier is in all aspects of our society; both old and young are now involved in the corrupt act. Should we kill the young lady who didn't obey the traffic light? Should we kill the young students who engaged in examination malpractice? Should we kill the father who has favouritism for his children as against others?

We should not conclude that only our political leaders are corrupt because corruption started from the home and killing parents and children for engaging in corruption is creating more problems in the society than the already existing ones.

Few weeks ago, I read on the newspaper that the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria gave an order to the World Bank to focus their resources in the Northern part of the country. Such an act is favouritism and do you suggest the president be killed?

Capital punishment is injustice to some. People should be persecuted base on the level of their crimes. Giving death penalty to anyone who engages in corruption is not justice in a democratic country like Nigeria. Why should a student who engages in an examination malpractice be given death sentence? A man steals ₦1,000 and another steals ₦10 billion but the court orders both men to be executed. Here I ask, where is the justice in that? All crimes are not equal, why then should capital punishment be the punishment for all corrupt practices? ‘This injustice is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf’.
Click here to read full article https://imonitielivingstone./2017/12/01/will-capital-punishment-stop-corruption-in-nigeria/
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by Northernonyenku(m): 3:28pm On Dec 01, 2017
Nothing can stop corruption in Nigeria..deal with it
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by DuchessLily(f): 3:33pm On Dec 01, 2017
It will help
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by MasterKim: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2017
Capital punishment is wrong.
No BODY even the government has any sensible right to take anyone's life.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by HeyCorleone(m): 4:13pm On Dec 01, 2017
I believe the best way to answer this question is to look at countries where such practice is in place and check to see the rate of corruption in their political system - China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, India amongst others.

For those saying Capital punishment is wrong, in times of war, would you rather let your enemy take your life because killing him is wrong?

You can't fvck with money meant to develop the society and expect to go scot free. Let them make use of 3 as scapegoats and watch if others won't get their senses back.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by Impenia: 5:11pm On Dec 01, 2017
No! That is because, even the process of prosecution and conviction will be tainted with corruption, which will make the entire process self-defeating.
---
For instance, the Scandinavian countries have the least crime rate, yet the police there rarely use force, let alone shoot. Compare that to Nigeria where all manner of force, threat and dehumanising methods are used, yet the crime rate is still beyond high.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by orisa37: 5:39pm On Dec 01, 2017
No. Put Osinbajo/Saraki there, Corruption will stop.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by orisa37: 5:40pm On Dec 01, 2017
No. Put Osinbajo/Saraki there, Corruption will stop.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by Alexgeneration(m): 7:16pm On Dec 01, 2017
Capital punishment will certainly bring back sanity among the politicians. When some of them have been made scape goats , others will straighten up.
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by Mazeltovscotty(m): 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2017
Does death penalty stop people from killing eachother. People build law. Law does not build people. Law is useless when the people it is guiding are not ready for change.
HeyCorleone:
I believe the best way to answer this question is to look at countries where such practice is in place and check to see the rate of corruption in their political system - China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, India amongst others.

For those saying Capital punishment is wrong, in times of war, would you rather let your enemy take your life because killing him is wrong?

You can't fvck with money meant to develop the society and expect to go scot free. Let them make use of 3 as scapegoats and watch if others won't get their senses back.
all things being equal, we can't build a corrupt free society no matter the severity of the punishment.
Secondly, I do not think capital punishment is the pillar holding those countries to be corrupt free.
Let us clearify it, one thing is to have a corrupt free society another thing is to be a good and law abiding citizen. Nevertheless, a corruptless society is achievable when my its citizens allow full operation of the law.
In summary, my point is, capital punishment cannot make Nigeria corrupt free when the basics (obeying law and order) requirement seems like mount everest to its citizens.
My proposed solution is, we need to rewire our mentality, we need to change the way we think and not changing of laws and constitutions guiding us.
Do you think America is working becuase people are scared of punished or sentence to death?
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by Mazeltovscotty(m): 7:55pm On Dec 01, 2017
a corrupt free society start with people's mind not law
Re: Will Capital Punishment Stop Corruption In Nigeria? by HeyCorleone(m): 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2017
Mazeltovscotty:
Does death penalty stop people from killing eachother. People build law. Law does not build people. Law is useless when the people it is guiding are not ready for change.
all things being equal, we can't build a corrupt free society no matter the severity of the punishment.
Secondly, I do not think capital punishment is the pillar holding those countries to be corrupt free.
Let us clearify it, one thing is to have a corrupt free society another thing is to be a good and law abiding citizen. Nevertheless, a corruptless society is achievable when my its citizens allow full operation of the law.
In summary, my point is, capital punishment cannot make Nigeria corrupt free when the basics (obeying law and order) requirement seems like mount everest to its citizens.
My proposed solution is, we need to rewire our mentality, we need to change the way we think and not changing of laws and constitutions guiding us.
Do you think America is working becuase people are scared of punished or sentence to death?

Africans work by sanctions.

Enforce the death penalty, make some scapegoats and see if everyone won't sit tight.

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO | President Buhari Visits Kano On Wednesday, To Commission Projects / PHOTO: Governor Wike Forces Spokesmen Of The Rivers United FC To Kneel / See What Former Akwa Ibom Infor Commissioner Wife Is Doing In A'Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.