Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. (19102 Views)

8 Things Every Smartphone User Should Consider When Getting A New Phone / 5 Things To Consider When Buying A New Smartphone. / 5 Great Specs To Consider When You're Choosing Your Next Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by pepenini88(m): 7:46am On Dec 03, 2017
I need a good this Xmas so I went for Infinix hot 5, I still don't know why hot 4 is expensive shocked shocked than hot 5. Phone gurus pls which one is better between the 2 phones with reasons. Thanks shocked
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Afamed: 7:49am On Dec 03, 2017
labanj1:

Bro. Some of them aren't really crap. Huawei, ZTE, One plus, Xiaomi, Umidigi are good and they're all Chinese brands.
They are good but their second hand value is the problem.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by pointstores(m): 7:56am On Dec 03, 2017
2 things I consider is ram and battery

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by donhils: 7:59am On Dec 03, 2017
U said 1gb ROM, wondering what you meant by that. Then did I see at least 5000mah battery there? U mean phones with lesser than 5000mah batteries are not good? You must be joking.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 03, 2017
pepenini88:
I need a good this Xmas so I went for Infinix hot 5, I still don't know why hot 4 is expensive shocked shocked than hot 5. Phone gurus pls which one is better between the 2 phones with reasons. Thanks shocked

I intend to get this phone this week too. Have any idea of the cost?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by dreamworld: 8:34am On Dec 03, 2017
AishaBuhari:
1GB RAM device and 1.3GHz Processors are too stressful. MTK devices are guilty of this crimes embarassed

Don't look at battery capacity by quantity but by quality:- Qualcomm, Snapdragon, Exynos Chipsets are good at battery/performance optimization no matter the capacity of the battery!
Mtk don't consume battery like qualcomm and the rest

MTK6569 ,Uses Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) processor. Can utilise all cores at the same time, or just a single core for low-intensity tasks. This can provide powerful performance or increased battery life respectively.
snapdragon 400 doesn't support HMP because of that it have poor battery backup than MTK6569.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 03, 2017
donhils:
U said 1gb ROM, wondering what you meant by that. Then did I see at least 5000mah battery there? U mean phones with lesser than 5000mah batteries are not good? You must be joking.

Most places in Nigeria don't enjoy adequate power supply. I'm using a 1500mAH battery and I know it really sucks especially in towns where there is no power.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by maxwell530(m): 8:39am On Dec 03, 2017
calddon:
For me:
Physical Build(sleek and stylish... The reason i loved my HTC A9)

Developer support (OEM releasing a phone with a particular OS version doesn't mean they will provide future software update support. eg, Gionee)

Spare part availability (when you crack your screen... The way forward)

Utility (expandable storage support, MultiSim card support)

How can i forget.... SCREEN QUALITY... I LOVE OLEDs
Bro I love that HTC a9,pls can you share your experience with the phone in terms of the chipsets,OS,multi tasking,how fast is the fingerprint,camera and battery life. Am currently using the infinix hot4 but it hang sometimes and i hate it for that,do you think the HTC a9 will be a good upgrade on the hot 4?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by kunlexyfred(m): 8:44am On Dec 03, 2017
pepenini88:
Hot 4 has 3specs. Hot 4 , hot 4 lite and hot 4 pro. I reviewed hot 5 and hot 4 pro and d differences are :
Hot 4 pro support 4G lite while hot 5 don't and hot 4 pro has better camera.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by whisper88(m): 8:45am On Dec 03, 2017
Please guys I already ordered for blackview bv8000 a phone, I hope I haven't made a mistake. Anyone who has used it shld pls share an experience
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Achillesdam500(m): 8:46am On Dec 03, 2017
Guys what do you think of oukitel6000 plus?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Abudu2000(m): 8:53am On Dec 03, 2017
labanj1:

Bro. Some of them aren't really crap. Huawei, ZTE, One plus, Xiaomi, Umidigi are good and they're all Chinese brands.
I get u Bru but everyone with their preference. Fr me I live on budget, I like my phone lasting up to 3years min, I bought iPhone 6plus 2014 and I used it till this year I got iphone 8 and I hope to use it till 2020, I'm not into those buying phones yearly habit. I bet non of those phones can last 2years not to mention they are not even upgradeable
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by shedy03(m): 11:21am On Dec 03, 2017
whisper88:
Please guys I already ordered for blackview bv8000 a phone, I hope I haven't made a mistake. Anyone who has used it shld pls share an experience
its sturdy, with loaded spec. water proof too, right?
how much in naira?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by shedy03(m): 11:23am On Dec 03, 2017
Achillesdam500:
Guys what do you think of oukitel6000 plus?
comes with excess juice, 6000mah battery. 4G/64G RAM/ROM. its a thumbs up.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by leonard002(m): 11:50am On Dec 03, 2017
If you want quality, bring out money and buy a good Samsung phone
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by simplyakinz(m): 11:53am On Dec 03, 2017
Can Somebody Share His/her Experienc On Google/Mtn 13k Smart Phone. Is It Worth It?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Justdare: 12:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
10000 mAh of battery shocked shocked
Is that a phone or dumbbell??
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by labanj1(m): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
I get u Bru but everyone with their preference. Fr me I live on budget, I like my phone lasting up to 3years min, I bought iPhone 6plus 2014 and I used it till this year I got iphone 8 and I hope to use it till 2020, I'm not into those buying phones yearly habit. I bet non of those phones can last 2years not to mention they are not even upgradeable
Cool Bro. Maybe its because I know how to manage a smartphone. I used my Infinix hot note for more than two years. I am no more interested in Infinix because its too common.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Simitrendy: 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
Please have the fear of God now, why will you buy IPhone 6s plus in 2014.. Haba grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by IgedeBushBoy(m): 2:02pm On Dec 03, 2017
It depends on your lifestyle. But everybody wants to spend less, and everybody use smartphones heavily. So it is fundamentally price and battery.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by adetes: 2:33pm On Dec 03, 2017
The first to consider is what u v in ur pocket, then go for all mentioned abive .
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Ugoeze2016: 3:10pm On Dec 03, 2017
GraveMan:
@OP which phone can u recommend for me, i am a heavy user and a picture fan. i have 40k with me. the phone must be snapdragon

Please check out this link suggestions

https://www.nairaland.com/4204162/top-10-cheap-smartphones-buy
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by NigerianScholar: 4:53pm On Dec 03, 2017
Some of the points you mentioned are not accurate scientifically. A bigger battery doesnt always mean the phone will last longer. I believe the most important factor is after sales support. All in the name of loyalty. I got a blackberry dtek 50. Great phone. Until i broke the screen. Searched the whole of computer village and online repair shops. I couldnt get it fixed. That was since last year september
basidoo:
There is no need to keep wondering, asking people, or searching the internet for different models of smartphones and then pestering on which one to buy.

1. OS Version: Check the phone out if its OS version isn't one of the latest in town, don't even risk it because it doesn't worth it. As of the time of this post writing Android version 8.0 is the latest so a version of 4.4 below is considered to be outdated and insecure.
2. Security/Extra Features: [/b]Most smartphones these days have started coming with extra security features such as fingerprint sensor or even iris sensors. These are not just to lock/unlock a handset but as a password to access certain files, documents or apps. You should chose a phone with advantage over your friend's or boss or even your co-workers phone.It's preferable to buy a smartphone with these extra security features since most of us have personal information on our handsets these days.
3. [b]Battery:
Gone are those days of using phones with 1,300mAh, an average/light internet user should consider buying a phone of at least 5000mAh which could last a day. But if you are the heavy user type, i would suggest you buy a 10000mAh (cool isn't it). And also you don't just get to buy a phone with large battery capacity but slow charging. Things won't get done.
4. Camera: If you are the selfie type you should also consider your camera since its essential in your selfie life. Just having higher number of megapixels does not mean that the smartphone camera is better. Several specifications such as camera aperture, ISO levels, pixel size, autofocus and more are essential as well. A 16MP rear camera does not necessarily be better than a 12MP camera. Same theory goes for the front-facing camera.

Higher number of pixels mean that the size of the image is bigger, which becomes more sharper when seen on a small screen. A photographer enthusiast might want a camera with 12 or 16MP sensor under f/2.0 or lower aperture for speedy shots even in low lights. A casual shooter can go by even with an 8MP 0r 12MP camera with f/2.0-f/2.2 aperture.
5. Storage: Your storage spec does matter when it comes to choosing a phone for yourself. Firstly you need a phone of at least 1G ROM and up to 32G SD Card. A 16GB/32GB/64GB or more don’t really come with exact mentioned space. If you like to keep less number of apps on your devices, you can go for 32GB storage.

Users who like to keep larger number of apps can go for 64GB or 128GB variants. You can also buy a 16GB model that supports microSD card as well.
6. Processor: The processing power of a smartphone varies from one device to another depending on several factors such as OS version, UI, bloatware and more.

If you are a heavy user who need to edit images/videos/documents online, play heavy games, stream videos or often use apps in split screen mode, then smartphones with Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 or Snapdragon 820/821 should make multitasking fluid for you.

Light users will be happy with handsets that come with MediaTek processors.
7. Audio Quality: Speakers and the quality of audio coming out of it can be an important parameter for those who rely on heavy video streaming or video conferences. If you like entertainment-on-the-go, buy a handset that has front-facing speakers. This gives clear sound even while holding the smartphone in landscape mode.

If you don’t indulge in video streaming or video conferencing much, then a regular handset with bottom-firing speakers should be just fine. Those with speakers placed at the back are also fine.processor

I hope you find the best amongst the best of phones.
Read more: https://techtip.com.ng/things-consider-buying-smartphones/
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
when I mean smartphones I don't mean these craps, I'm talking of real phones bru
buh Xiaomi is not crap sir
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by perryy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 03, 2017
Simitrendy:
Please have the fear of God now, why will you buy IPhone 6s plus in 2014.. Haba grin

I wonder oooooo. I thought I was the only one that sighted the lies.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2017
Abudu2000:
hahahaha. Sir, the iphone you've had was assembled in China, even your new iphone 8. Most of the components that Apple fits into its devices are manufactured outside the US, most of them in Taiwan and China. Then when it comes to assembling all of the parts produced by those different manufacturers into one phone, it is exclusively done by Foxconn and Pegatron in China. If your 'Chinese' iphone could last your for 3 years, a Xiaomi, Huawei, ZTE, Oppo phone (etc) can also last you that long. The only downside is OS upgrade which is not even a big obstacle after all.

1 Like

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Spoilt4toto: 6:11pm On Dec 03, 2017
Huawei rocks!! Still rocking my Huawei P10.

Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 03, 2017
Spoilt4toto:
Huawei rocks!! Still rocking my Huawei P10.
how much?
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by fibonacci2526: 7:08pm On Dec 03, 2017
Mine is Brand-Processor-price-Camera-Battery.
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by donhils: 7:29pm On Dec 03, 2017
writerights:

Most places in Nigeria don't enjoy adequate power supply. I'm using a 1500mAH battery and I know it really sucks especially in towns where there is no power.
Which phone? In as much as 1500mah is not good, nonetheless, you can't say it must be at least 5000mah. Any battery from 3000mah and above is decent enough. iPhone users even have less than 2000mah in their very expensive phones yet they're surviving with it
Re: Things To Consider When Buying Smartphones. by calddon(m): 7:59pm On Dec 03, 2017
maxwell530:
Bro I love that HTC a9,pls can you share your experience with the phone in terms of the chipsets,OS,multi tasking,how fast is the fingerprint,camera and battery life. Am currently using the infinix hot4 but it hang sometimes and i hate it for that,do you think the HTC a9 will be a good upgrade on the hot 4?
D camera is wonderful... D front camera is amazing...... Its an ultra pixels.... Not too strong on ba3 life. Processor is really really cool.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Replace The Back Glass For An Iphone X? / Comparison Between Samsung Galaxy Note 9 And Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus / How To Transfer Airtime Credit From Etisalat Line To Another

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.