Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? (2419 Views)

Poll: Is corporal punishment right or wrong?

Yes, it's very often right.: 73% (11 votes)
No, it's almost always wrong.: 26% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

My Aunty Gave Me Her Breast Milk To Drink: Right Or Wrong? / AT The Age Of 12 Her DAD Still Baths Her In The Bathroom. "Right Or Wrong? / The Dangers Of Spanking A Child . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by sweetberry(f): 10:21pm On Feb 25, 2007
Do you believe in spanking a child if he/she [does something bad]?

If no what other method do you use to correct your child.

I think there are some children that are so stuborn you can't just sit them down & talk to them because they wouldn't listen.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by fatliar(m): 10:42pm On Feb 25, 2007
i love ur profile
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by cuteass1(f): 1:30am On Feb 26, 2007
Well the bible does say, "spoil the rod and spare the child" but the truth of the matter is that every kid/child is different. Some kids obey to spanking while others obey to oral corrections, its just left for the parent to find out what tune his/her kid dances to.

Here in Norway(and i'm sure, many other countries) its against the law to spank a kid, as a parent , you might even risk your kid dialling the 911 number.
So when i was a kid, say about 3-4 years old, cool each time i was naughty, my mum would lock me in the toilet and swith off the light and i'll have to sit in there for hours on end cry cry cry.
I've never bothered to ask her what effect that treatmeant had om me but i'll guess positive since she continued with the method for a looonnnnggg time cool

I guess that's why she made up her mind to send me down to Nigeria for primary and secondary education, to be thoroughly disciplined. I know of lots of our family friends both in the UK, US and here in Norway that do the same (as in send their kids to Nigeria, to live there for some years)
For that i'll ever remain grateful to my parents, it didn't seem as fun at the time but now i couldn't be happier for the lady i've turned out to be cool
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Bolarge(m): 11:44am On Feb 27, 2007
Whoop da silly brat's ass!! angry
Can't count d number of times mine got whooped. grin
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 12:17pm On Feb 27, 2007
there are some children that are so stuborn you can't just sit them down & talk to them because they wouldn't listen.
That's the lame excuse used by every irresponsible parent. It's a lie. Almost all children can be talked to.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Free(f): 8:06am On Feb 28, 2007
is not wrong to spank a child

it all depnds on how hard u spank and how often

u dnt have to spank em' for evry bad thing ,

kids nowadays need some spanking

aint natin wrong wit it, i was spanked as a child

look how i turned out, perfectly fine grin grin grin grin
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Grouppoint(m): 3:50pm On Mar 01, 2007
Before I started having children, I said to myself that I would never smack my kids.
Now I am living the reality, andaAgainst all my plans, I find that children can be so frustrating that many times it appears the only way to get the ideas into their mindset is to smack them.

What I do afterwards is explain to them what they did wrong. I ensure that they are clear on it and I extract a promise from them that it wont happen again. Also, if it happens, then they know whats coming to them.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 12:14am On Mar 02, 2007
Nowadays, I might only hit a child if I catch him hitting his junior ones. Beating is not worth it, in my opinion. It only increases the distance between the adult and the child. Fear is not the best tool for controlling them.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Bolarge(m): 9:40am On Mar 02, 2007
No disrespect intended but[b] Oga [/b] Seun d'you mind intimating us on the reason for this selective deleting of posts?
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Grouppoint(m): 11:01am On Mar 02, 2007
Seun:

Nowadays, I might only hit a child if I catch him hitting his junior ones. Beating is not worth it, in my opinion. It only increases the distance between the adult and the child. Fear is not the best tool for controlling them.

Seun. Are you then saying that retribution is your preferred tool?

Children can drive one crazy. One really has to be in the position to appreciate what parents go through, especially the mothers. Sometimes you really just want to angry exorcise your own child. Its really that bad sometimes.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by LadyT(f): 11:18am On Mar 02, 2007
Children rule their parents nowadays. No one likes to be smacked. I hated being smacked but I can now see it was needed. We were always smacked after being given warnings. I think it should be a last resort and children should understand why they were smacked.

Nowadays I wish I could get a smack instead of the horrendous lectures my mum gives! grin

I will smack my kids if needed.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 11:39am On Mar 02, 2007
It won't be needed unless you choose not to devote enough time to your kids.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by LadyT(f): 12:15pm On Mar 02, 2007
Thats a lie Seun. All children are different. But tell me unless you plan to home school them and give up your job it will be impossible to spend enough time with them as you have put it. Even if they have a good grounding at home they can still pick up bad habits. And if lecturing doesnt work. A short hard slap across the arse will!
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by 4Play(m): 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2007
Seun speaks with all the confidence of a man who is not yet a father.By the time he becomes a father,he will be realistic.

I too used to think like that but when I listen to people who actually have kids,i realise that sometimes you have to spank them
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by 4Play(m): 12:20pm On Mar 02, 2007
@Groupoint
So you spank your kid?Social services are on their way grin
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by bunmii(f): 12:27pm On Mar 02, 2007
4 Play:

@Groupoint

social services lol that is the problem you can't say slap a child in public without people lookin at you as if you have done something abominable or you fearing social services won't come banging on your door

@ topic i believe you got to smack a kid once or twice but not everytime just to correct them, they wouldn't break if you smack them. next time they wouldn't do it what you smack then for again well some kid won't
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by mamaput(f): 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2007
I can count how many times i layed hands on my kids. And each time it was frustration.
Only once when my daughter was 3 and ran on the road and once still three wanted to throw something at me.
But i have found a better soulation.
My kids have all the freedom to do what they want and go were thery want sometimes i only find a note at home telling me were they are.
But they have to know for themselves were they can go and for how long. Because my motto is ."Nobody has to fight for their freedom but i can take it away from them"
They are not fools so they know by them selves that if they mess up they have a high price to pay. A very high one as that.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Grouppoint(m): 1:08pm On Mar 08, 2007
4 Play:

@Groupoint

Na you sabi. wink That's a story for another day. You will need to educate your kids on what to say when social services do come lipsrsealed, otherwise.

But really, the frustartion has been known to send mothers into severe depresion. Why do you think many oyibos these days dont want to have any children?
They have weighed the whole thing and since they cant bear to smack a child, then they wont even bother to have one.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by RiffRaff: 10:13am On Mar 14, 2007
Free:

is not wrong to spank a child

it all depnds on how hard u spank and how often

i dnt have to spank em' for evry bad thing ,

kids nowadays need some spanking

aint natin wrong wit it, i was spanked as a child

look how i turned out, perfectly fine grin grin grin grin

i was spanked as a kid look how i turned out, tout cry cry cry cry

it's wrong to spank kids, it widen the gap between adults and kids.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 10:50am On Mar 14, 2007
Seun speaks with all the confidence of a man who is not yet a father.
By the time he becomes a father,he will be realistic.
I'm a principled man. I won't suddenly become a child abuser just because my children are bugging me.
However, if I catch my child hitting or beating her junior ones or other children, I might do the same to her.

But tell me unless you plan to home school them and give up your job it will be impossible to spend enough time with them as you have put it.
If I have to choose between home-schooling my child and hitting her like a monkey, I'd go ahead and home-school her. What's the point in having a child if you're not going to devote lots of time to raising the child?
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by nnada(f): 11:04am On Mar 14, 2007
Spanking a child is not wrong, cos am somebody today, my parents especially my mum spanked me.
It is not every thing u talk to a child about, sometimes, before they understand u are serious, u must spank them, cos some are dead sturbbon grin
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Free(f): 11:40pm On Mar 14, 2007
tank U, am wit U grin grin
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 8:21am On Mar 15, 2007
Spanking a child is not wrong, because am somebody today, my parents especially my mum spanked me.
It is not every thing u talk to a child about, sometimes, before they understand u are serious, u must spank them, because some are dead stubborn
I've been able to get along with quite a few "stubborn" children without the use of a cane. Yes, it was quite exhausting, which is why I won't start breeding until I have the time to do it properly. Most of the so-called "stubborn" children are just naturally restless. You just need to occupy them with lots of work, sports and games.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by dudubobo1: 11:12am On Mar 17, 2007
does the bible not say that foolishness is bound in the heart of a child and the rod of correction drives it far from him?
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 11:53am On Mar 17, 2007
No, that was Solomon. The same man who couldn't control his lust for women. You should ignore him.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by namdee(m): 8:30pm On Mar 18, 2007
Nothing wrong in spanking child,@seun it is easy to say you won't do such,wait till you have yours and find out if they require such measures.I have seen kids that are smart,testing to see what you will do if they try something nutty,and they easily take your mildness for granted.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by LadyT(f): 9:55pm On Mar 18, 2007
I'm sure Seun will spank his child or children. I love his "ideal" world fantasy that stuff don't happen its hilarious you think you can home school your children yet you are a strong advocator for people to run their own business wink how will you manage that when you have kids you want to home school or will you expect your wife to be a fulltime mother?

If you warn them several times and they don't listen give them a smack.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 9:59pm On Mar 18, 2007
If you warn them several times and they don't listen give them a smack.
I refuse. I didn't require such measures as a child, and I'm yet to meet a child that requires such measures. However, I've met children who have been beaten so much that they are less sensitive. I have also met some sensitive children, who would cry if you look at them the wrong way. I won't smack anyone who doesn't smack others.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by dudubobo1: 12:01pm On Mar 19, 2007
Seun:

No, that was Solomon. The same man who couldn't control his lust for women. You should ignore him.

It is the Bible.

I was spanked a few times as a child and it never killed me. It helped put me on the straight and narrow. I have my own children now and I have had to spank the first one a couple of times before when he was younger. i have not had any need to do so again.

I wont ignore anything the bible tells me. Our legislators are a bunch of thieves. yet, we dont ignore the laws they make.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by Seun(m): 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2007
I wont ignore anything the bible tells me. Our legislators are a bunch of thieves. yet, we don't ignore the laws they make.
That's primarily because we can be thrown in jail if we disobey them. In the case of Solomon, that won't happen. wink
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by queenesthr(f): 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2009
Children should be spanked as and when due. Parents that fail to spank when appropriate are heading for disaster.
Re: Spanking A Child: Right Or Wrong? by agathamari(f): 6:14pm On Oct 30, 2009
positive reinforcement works better then negative

(1) (2) (Reply)

As A Parent, Can Your Teen Date? / Aftermath / REAL STORY: 'my Husband's Deception Led Me To Commit An Unforgivable Sin'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.