Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,068 members, 7,828,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe (1851 Views)

Buratai Arrests Soldiers Involved In Benue Killings, Hands Them Over To NHRC / Buhari Is Weak: He Will Not Change His Attitude. - IBB. / Jonathan Is Weak -buhari ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by trueword: 5:56am On Mar 30, 2010
Jos killings: Jonathan is weak –Achebe
By Agency reporter, Published: Tuesday, 30 Mar 2010

One of Nigeria’s foremost authors, Prof. Chinua Achebe, has criticised the Acting President Goodluck Jonathan’s handling of Jos crisis, saying that he is weak as a leader, Empowered Newswire reports.

Achebe, the author of the widely successful book, Things Fall Apart, which marked its 50 years of publication between 2008 and last year spoke to New York Times over the weekend on several issues including the state of the nation.

He said, “My own explanation would be the failure of the authorities in Nigeria to address the issue. The nation cannot be trusted to use the machinery of law and order. And in that kind of situation, all kinds of people who are normally sort of put aside suddenly find an opening for evil.”

When asked of what he thought about the Jonathan’s dissolution of cabinet, Achebe said, “He suddenly doesn’t seem to bring good luck. He is weak. A strong man in any position in Nigeria should be horrified by what happened in Jos.

“Shamed is what we should feel. We don’t seem to have any government. People don’t know where their president — before the present acting president — where he went or where he is.

Speaking for the first time on ailing President Umaru Yar’Adua’s disappearance, Achebe said “People don’t know where their President — before the present Acting President — where he went or where he is, Presidents do not go off on leave without telling the country.”

Achebe further criticised the killing in Jos, saying that there was no justification for the ugly development.

On Umar Abdulmuttalab bombing of a United States aircraft, Achebe said, “I would say to him: “That is insane. Drop it. You cannot solve any problems by blowing up innocent people.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100330352385
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by sjeezy8: 6:36am On Mar 30, 2010
Jonathan isnt weak hes doing what he can without getting assassinated or bringing the country into further peril.

To be a leader in Nigeria you cant be a cowboy voicing your damn opinion every where- esp under the circumstances that brought him into the position of acting presido.- thats just common sense

Thank God achebe or his likes arent in the same position as the acting presido if so there would have abeen a civil war already- coup take over etc . . .

Jonathan is playing it smart and being advised by the right people. If the US, EU, Britain can applaud jonathan then achebe should shut his trap and stick to writing books about his opnions because he obviously doesnt know shiot about politics- esp naija politics.

1 Like

Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by sjeezy8: 6:42am On Mar 30, 2010
him and soyinka are losing my respect when they talk they arent being truthful or realistic.
annoying
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by udezue(m): 6:49am On Mar 30, 2010
Sjeezy
U need to shut the 4k up. What have u achieved in ur useless life to even have mouth to talk about Achebe and Soyinka? Idiot. Those men have always stood up for the truth and he is right. Jonathan is weak.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by RichyBlacK(m): 7:03am On Mar 30, 2010
sjeezy8:

him and soyinka are losing my respect when they talk they arent being truthful or realistic.
annoying

Hmmm, you need to start thinking and slow down on the typing. Soyinka and Achebe have too much brain power to be ignored by lawless Nigeria. As far as I'm concerned, those two guys - alongside a few others, are usually right about Nigerian politics.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by sjeezy8: 7:04am On Mar 30, 2010
udieze we know idiots like you dont use their brains and like to have wars because you cant think your way out of situations.

[size=13pt]US applauds fast Goodluck moves[/size]

Nigerian acting President Goodluck Jonathan has consolidated his grip on power, easing a political crisis that fanned fears of instability in Africa's most populous nation, a senior US official said on Friday.

Assistant Secretary of State Johnnie Carson said Washington was encouraged that Jonathan was moving on electoral reforms, anti-corruption efforts and peace outreach in the restive Niger Delta, the centre of Africa's largest energy industry.

"I think he's done a very good job of consolidating his authority and reassuring all segments of the community," Carson, the Obama administration's top diplomat for Africa, said.

__________________________________________________________________________________

[size=13pt]U.S., Britain back Nigeria’s acting leader[/size]

ABUJA (Reuters) – Britain and the United States offered support to Nigerian Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Friday after the return of Nigeria’s ailing leader prompted fears of a power struggle in Africa’s most populous nation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

[size=13pt]European Union commends Jonathan [/size]

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan today received the support of the European Union which commended the way he has handled the country's affairs at a difficult period.

In a statement released in Brussels from the office of the Vice President and High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy at the EU Commission, Mr Jonathan was lauded for his efforts at fostering stability in the nation. The spokesperson, Catherine Ashton, said, "the EU encourages the efforts of Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan and the government of Nigeria to foster stability in the country and sub-region." T

The Union acknowledged the challenge and the current uncertainty in the nation's political process, and commended the will of the Nigerian democratic institutions to remain faithful to the principles of democracy, responsible governance and the rule of law.
______________________________________________________________________________________
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by sjeezy8: 7:10am On Mar 30, 2010
Whether soyinka or achebe say the truth isnt the matter its the dont say the whole truth and how things really are and go blindly talking rubbish.

The point is Jonathan is doing what he can without causing more trouble in Nigeria.  The last thing Nigeria needs is a acting presido to come out and say why are msulims killing xtians in Jos or these northerners dont want me to be presido.

A good presido doesnt go around with an opinionated attitude on religion or ethnicity.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by RichyBlacK(m): 7:12am On Mar 30, 2010
sjeezy8:

Whether soyinka or achebe say the truth isnt the matter its the dont say the whole truth and how things really are and go blindly talking rubbish.

The point is Jonathan is doing what he can without causing more trouble in Nigeria. The last thing Nigeria needs is a acting presido to come out and say why are msulims killing xtians in Jos or these northerners dont want me to be presido.

I agree, but his weakness is not a fault of his (Jonathan) but of the situation he's found himself in.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:33am On Mar 30, 2010
Jonathan has mishandled the Jos crisis. First of all he didn't punish the Beroms for what they did at Kuru Jenta, Kuru Karama, etc (1st round of killings). He deployed the military (predominantly Hausa/Fulani) and he promptly sat on his hands expecting things to calm down. He more or less paved the way for the 2nd round of killings at Dogo Nahawa.

He is weak, in that he's scared of the army. Up till now he still hasn't called Dambazau to account for what the soldiers did in Jos.

The second wave of reprisal killings in Jos shouldn't have occurred if he had taken the right security precautions by actively involving the SSS and the Police in the military occupation of Jos. In fact, al that has happened in Jos is enough grounds for a state of emergency. Jonah Jang should be sacked and an administrator appointed in his place to bring things back to normal.

Jonathan didn't punish the Beroms the 1st time around, I can bet you those herdsmen/butchers caught at Dogon-Nahawa are going to be quietly released. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, abi no be so?
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by slap1(m): 8:38am On Mar 30, 2010
I'd say Jonathan WAS weak! But Achebe is right in my opinion, cos he was not generalizing but talking about the Jos Crises.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by slap1(m): 8:40am On Mar 30, 2010
I'd say Jonathan WAS weak! But Achebe is right in my opinion, cos he was not generalizing but talking about the Jos Crises.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by 006(m): 8:42am On Mar 30, 2010
I hate it when an emptiness like sjeezy8 talk.

Who are you for saying such things against great people like Achebe ande Soyinka just because you're hiding behing the net to type rubbish. I pity you shaaa.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by nex(m): 8:49am On Mar 30, 2010
Well, Jonathan is weak, but Chinua Achebe is a bloody cripple! If he was so powerful, why didn't he become Nigeria's president so he could use his Things Fall Apart wisdom to solve all of our problems.

I used to respect this man so much, but if he continues like this, there will be nothing left to remember him by. This is the same rubbish that Wole Soyinka has thrown himself into. Prescribing literary solutions to real life issues.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:52am On Mar 30, 2010
nex:

Well, Jonathan is weak, but Chinua Achebe is a bloody cripple! If he was so powerful, why didn't he become Nigeria's president so he could use his Things Fall Apart wisdom to solve all of our problems.

I used to respect this man so much, but if he continues like this, there will be nothing left to remember him by. This is the same rubbish that Wole Soyinka has thrown himself into. Prescribing literary solutions to real life issues.

The problem is that those of you who wanted Yar'adua to run Nigeria from the grave have simply failed, get used to it.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by igboboy1(m): 8:57am On Mar 30, 2010
sjeezy8:

udieze we know idiots like you dont use their brains and like to have wars because you cant think your way out of situations.

Nigerian acting President Goodluck Jonathan has consolidated his grip on power, easing a political crisis that fanned fears of instability in Africa's most populous nation, a senior US official said on Friday.

Assistant Secretary of State Johnnie Carson said Washington was encouraged that Jonathan was moving on electoral reforms, anti-corruption efforts and peace outreach in the restive Niger Delta, the centre of Africa's largest energy industry.

"I think he's done a very good job of consolidating his authority and reassuring all segments of the community," Carson, the Obama administration's top diplomat for Africa, said.

__________________________________________________________________________________

ABUJA (Reuters) – Britain and the United States offered support to Nigerian Acting President Goodluck Jonathan Friday after the return of Nigeria’s ailing leader prompted fears of a power struggle in Africa’s most populous nation.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan today received the support of the European Union which commended the way he has handled the country's affairs at a difficult period.

In a statement released in Brussels from the office of the Vice President and High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy at the EU Commission, Mr Jonathan was lauded for his efforts at fostering stability in the nation. The spokesperson, Catherine Ashton, said, "the EU encourages the efforts of Acting President, Goodluck Jonathan and the government of Nigeria to foster stability in the country and sub-region." T

The Union acknowledged the challenge and the current uncertainty in the nation's political process, and commended the will of the Nigerian democratic institutions to remain faithful to the principles of democracy, responsible governance and the rule of law.
______________________________________________________________________________________

very dumb thing, Inferiority complex dey worry u. So whatever ur white master endorses that is right, Always waiting for commendation from your oyibo master u effing bingo, go and fetch the bone grin

America talk say wow Jonathan is the shiiett then he is the shiiett, America talk say Jonathan is mad then he is mad? na wa o, they way una dey think sef
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by naso2(m): 8:59am On Mar 30, 2010
Was OBJ weak too? what is happening now in Jos that is strange? When CAN confronted OBJ on the perceived inaction of Govt., Obj responded with the popular "CAN MY FOOT " phrase.

It is one thing to say the Govt may have made mistakes in handling the Jos crisis, but coming with a verdict that the Govt is weak, was way off for Chinua Achebe. He missed the point. The issues are far more complicated than he sees it.

To my mind this Jos crisis will only end when both parties see that in wars like this there are only losers-- No winners. When they take toll and see what they have lost and can potentially lose, then they will work out a peace formular.

For those exalting Achebe and soyinka  to some infallible height, I have to submit that being a literary genius does not confer political infallibility. Yes they have made their marks in literature but need to e cautious in the utterances about  Nigerian politics and for issues that have to do with religion and tribe. It is not as simple as the tend to paint it most times.

I personally dey diss soyinka because na him bring campus cult come this country.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by igboboy1(m): 9:01am On Mar 30, 2010
nex:

u dont know how to talk to about ur elders? I hope someone in ur family ends up a cripple so then maybe u can have some humanity in you, You can insult the man just like sjeezy always do but leave his crippleness out of it (aint his fault he is crippled)
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Afam(m): 9:13am On Mar 30, 2010
sjeezy8:

Real shame. So whatever the US or EU says makes more sense than what our own people say?

This is the highest level of inferiority complex being displayed by the poster. This is really disgusting.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by RichyBlacK(m): 9:46am On Mar 30, 2010
nex:

Whatever is said by Soyinka or Achebe is of more relevance than anything the multitude of politicians in Abuja and every state capital can utter. There is no point comparing these guys to the babbling zombies running Nigeria.

Being president of Nigeria is not the height of achievement and Soyinka and Achebe will not get into barbarian presidential politics a la Nigeria, where loafers are selected to become president and all the votes by the citizens are ignored.

Yes, Achebe may be a cripple, but he's far better of than your vegetative/probably dead president. How has being president changed his fortune?

One reason why Nigeria's march to nothingness continues unabated is the flagrant and wholesale disregard of her intellectuals and mindless servitude to the whims and caprice of charlatans, mediocre minds and the basest savages, by many Nigerians.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:31am On Mar 30, 2010
na_so:

Was OBJ weak too? what is happening now in Jos that is strange? When CAN confronted OBJ on the perceived inaction of Govt., Obj responded with the popular "CAN MY FOOT " phrase.
It is one thing to say the Govt may have made mistakes in handling the Jos crisis, but coming with a verdict that the Govt is weak, was way off for Chinua Achebe. He missed the point. The issues are far more complicated than he sees it.

To my mind this Jos crisis will only end when both parties see that in wars like this there are only losers-- No winners. When they take toll and see what they have lost and can potentially lose, then they will work out a peace formular.

For those exalting Achebe and soyinka to some infallible height, I have to submit that being a literary genius does not confer political infallibility. Yes they have made their marks in literature but need to e cautious in the utterances about Nigerian politics and for issues that have to do with religion and tribe. It is not as simple as the tend to paint it most times.

I personally dey diss soyinka because na him bring campus cult come this country.

Exactly! They somehow expect the man to perform miracles! angry angry
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by DisGuy: 10:39am On Mar 30, 2010
lol @ people making excuses for Jonathan - he is a weakling probably the weakest fi-de-he we ever had
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by tolu001: 12:33pm On Mar 30, 2010
u better shut ur stinking mouth and stop quoting, US said this Uk said that , who is the cause of these problems in the first instance.

Use ur brain, that is if they are still working well though
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 30, 2010
Talk is cheap, If he is stronger let him come and do a better job
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Abagworo(m): 2:40pm On Mar 30, 2010
aisha2:

thank you my sis.theres more to politics than literature
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by bibiking1(m): 3:53pm On Mar 30, 2010
"The seeming weakness of Jonathan is a political tool", Now with this statement, it is obvious that Achebe being on the outside is pretty in the right with his assertion, as he can sense a listlesness about the manner with which the bayelsa-born leader is carrying out his duties. On the other hand, Jonathan does not really have to come out all aggressive as this could ultimately be counter-productive. We the people are enmeshed in a quagmire however!
While the public analysts are calling for more aggressiveness on the part of Goodluck, the Political 'wiseguys' understand that there is Chess game that has to be played with painstaking concentration!

Lets be careful how we cast aspersion on our legendary figures please! People calling Achebe names are themselves not better than the learned man, i plead for caution and patience.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by slap1(m): 4:04pm On Mar 30, 2010
aisha2:

Are you mocking the man? I'm disappointed at YOU.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 30, 2010
slap1:

Are you mocking the man? I'm disappointed at YOU.
No far from it, i respect Him so much. Howver, its unfair of him to pass such Judgement on a man who is barely settled in the seat of acting president. There are so many things Goodluck is dealing with now, the first is the urgency in forming his cabinet. I am from Jos, the crisis is confusing and intertwined in so many issues even to me who has been a victim. There are over 70 tribes in Jos, each with its own politics and agenda, one of the greatest problems of Plateau is the lack of unity withing the tribes, so depending on who you are listening to you are bound to hear different sides of the crisis and angles. Jonathan has all the Acting or not Actig Issues, The Cabal, His own party, Governors Forum,The YarAdua is resuming work Issues, Working Cabinet ETC, so its unfair at this point to write him off as weak. Governance is hard work
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by slap1(m): 6:31pm On Mar 30, 2010
aisha2:

No far from it, i respect Him so much. Howver, its unfair of him to pass such Judgement on a man who is barely settled in the seat of acting president. There are so many things Goodluck is dealing with now, the first is the urgency in forming his cabinet. I am from Jos, the crisis is confusing and intertwined in so many issues even to me who has been a victim. There are over 70 tribes in Jos, each with its own politics and agenda, one of the greatest problems of Plateau is the lack of unity withing the tribes, so depending on who you are listening to you are bound to hear different sides of the crisis and angles. Jonathan has all the Acting or not Actig Issues, The Cabal, His own party, Governors Forum,The YarAdua is resuming work Issues, Working Cabinet ETC, so its unfair at this point to write him off as weak. Governance is hard work
Got ya!
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by 9ijaprince(m): 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2010
I quite disagree with achebe on this.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by Fhemmmy: 6:43pm On Mar 30, 2010
I do admit that Jonathan needs to do more
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by sjeezy8: 10:12pm On Mar 30, 2010
The same OBJ that people labeled a stooge for the north and the norths boyboy was/is probably the most powerful person in Nigeria and even got jonathan that far.

The same IBB that everyone labeled weak and a stooge for the hausas-fulanis is more powerful then any hausas-fulani.- IBB the most powerful person in Nigeria.

Jonathan could aswell be the president in 2015 if he keeps on this path- builds northern allies- I pray he does.
he could as well be a very powerful person in the future, his predicament is like that of Objs in the 1970's-

some times I think why are southerners dont think and gosh its a bad habbit- they are just tooo silly to think about gaining alliances outside the south.
Re: Jos Killings: Jonathan Is Weak – Chinua Achebe by metalgong5(m): 10:41pm On Mar 30, 2010
aisha2:

Another imbecilli.c statement!!

nex:

Well, Jonathan is weak, but Chinua Achebe is a bloody cripp[/b]le! If he was so powerful, why didn't he become Nigeria's president so he could use his Things Fall Apart wisdom to solve all of our problems.

I used to respect this man so much, but if he continues like this, there will be nothing left to remember him by. This is the [b]same rubbish that Wole Soyinka has thrown himself into
. Prescribing literary solutions to real life issues.
At your age, can you tell us what you have achieved in life with your pot belly stomach and F.ugly face . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

It's 3: 45pm, Thursday May 2010: So Far Goodluck Is Missing For Yaradua's Burial / Yayale is Nigeria's new V.P / Abu Professor Nabbed With ‘explosives’ On London Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.