Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,044 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania (26235 Views)

Poll: Who is to blame?

Nigerians are mostly to blame: often fraudulent.: 50% (30 votes)
Tanzanians are mostly to blame: too intolerant.: 49% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Checkout Africa’s First Underwater Hotel In Tanzania / How Is Life In Tanzania? / Welcome To Tanzania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mrmetoo(m): 5:02am On Feb 26, 2007
I just found this story and it was very shocking and depressing to me that this could happen to a citizen of the so called "giant of Africa".

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/no-nigerians-welcome.html

RECENTLY, my good friend, Chief Udeh, the Head of Nigeria's Immigration Services has been sounding upbeat about changing the face of immigration services. I am so far impressed by his talk and thoughts. I have decided to narrate a story I had for two years decided to live down. It is the story of my own humiliation in the hands of Kenyan and Tanzanian immigration officials. It seems I am also not alone as some of our journalists have suffered similar fates. As the story went, a group of Nigerian journalists had been denied entry into Tanzania on the same grounds that they had the misfortune of being from Nigeria. I suffered a similar fate but perhaps the difference lay in the fact that my own story had a bizarre and rather hilarious ending as the reader will see.

My first experience was in 2003 at the Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi. I was on a Kenyan Airways flight bound for Cape Town, South Africa. We had a stop over and the airline had kindly booked a hotel for me for the night. At the airport, I went to get a transit visa, which I was told was a mere formality. I queued up with a few passengers, mostly white. A bunch of smiling Kenyan Immigration officials enthusiastically stamped visas into their passports. I got to the desk, handed in my passport, but the official took one look at me and handed by passport back to me, saying he could not issue me a transit visa. I was told that I was being denied a visa on the grounds that I had a Nigerian passport. I was in shock, but I did not wish to create a scene, so I simply stepped aside. I simply returned to the Business Class lounge where I spent the remaining part of the night. Later, when one of the white who had been behind me on the queue met me at the lounge, as he poured himself a scotch, he asked if I had got my transit visa, I nodded because I felt so ashamed to admit that I had been refused a transit visa and that I had to cry on a white man's shoulder for a cup of humiliation being served to me as a Nigerian. As I settled down, I said to myself: Nigeria has just turned the corner and ended military rule, the Kenyans had just sworn in Mwai Kibaki as the new President. Both he and Obasanjo were supposed to be a sign of the new dawn in Africa. Was this the sign of the Africa to come? Though I had traveled to South Africa on two different occasions, I was wondering what would await me for being a Nigerian at the other end. Thank God, the South Africans were gracious.

My second and more traumatic humiliation took place in 2004 as I was completing a research trip which I had undertaken to Rwanda. As an African, the Rwandan genocide had hit me rather badly. As Catholic priest, I had felt even worse and as Secretary General of the Catholic Secretariat then, I was pained by the feeling of total helplessness that engulfed me. The genocide had come and gone, but I was sad that I still had not managed to get a proper idea as to what had happened to the body of Christ in Rwanda. When the opportunity to visit Rwanda presented itself, I took it with both hands. My trip to Rwanda was a spin off from a Lecture I delivered on civil society in Africa in Dublin in 2003. But that is another story.

My trip to Kigali was fantastic. The people were wonderful and I found that so many doors opened to me as a Nigerian. The people here pronounced President Obasanjo's name with greater affection than in many parts of Nigeria. In fact, at a Sunday mass in the Cathedral in Kigali, I met some five Nigerians who were members out of the Technical Aid Corps in Rwanda who told me they had found wonderful reception in Rwanda. But my real nightmare, the subject of this piece was outside Rwanda.

In the course of my stay in Rwanda, I had spent time listening to stories, interviewing senior Church men and women, government officials, priests, sisters, lay men and women and so on. I was satisfied with my trip. Due to my experience with Oputa Panel, my interest naturally had gravitated towards the efforts at the restoration of justice in Rwanda. I had first heard about this initiative from the Rwandese Attorney General who had shared a platform with me at the University of Edinburgh in 2002. He had helped greatly in fixing up appointments for me. After my field work, I felt that I needed to do a comparative analysis of the effectiveness or otherwise of the Gacaca system of African justice system. I had also known about the United Nations International Tribunal on Rwanda based in Arusha, Tanzania. To ensure my smooth passage to Arusha, I had obtained a visa in Abuja from the Tanzanian High Commission. That exercise was smooth and the Tanzanian officials were courteous.

When I finished with my field work in Rwanda, I had the option of flying by a UN helicopter from Kigali to Arusha which was just across the border, but I opted to travel back through Nairobi with Kenyan Airways. I was so anxious to see some part of rural Kenya and Tanzania that I opted to both fly back to Nairobi and continue my trip by road. My flight was to take me through Kilimanjaro which I would have loved to see, but from Nairobi, I opted to go by road.

On arriving Nairobi, I had checked into the Nairobi Hilton which I was told was nearest to the motor Park where I could get the Taxi/Bus from Nairobi to Arusha. The next morning, I arrived at the Park, bought my ticket and boarded a bus. There were about eight of us in the bus and I recall that apart from the driver, I was the only black face. We stopped for refreshments and finally got to the Kenya-Tanzanian border. The bus driver pointed at the border post and told us to go and have our passports stamped.

For some strange reason, I took the lead, feeling that this being African soil; I should be the one to lead the four white men and the three women to the post. I got there first and feeling like a tour guide, I smiled at the officer and then depleted the only Swahili I knew: We are all traveling together, I said. The mzungus handed in their passports and I made sure that mine was the last almost as a courtesy. The officer had no hesitation in stamping the passports of the seven mzungus. When he handed them back to us, mine was missing. Hey, I said, where is my passport? He sized me up and said: My friend, you are from Nigeria. You will have to wait a while. What for? I demanded. Because you have a Nigerian passport, he said.

The mzungus looked back and then moved on to the bus. They waited for me in the bus and then the driver came over to find out what the problem was. He is a Nigerian, the immigration official said, as if those were the imprints of the badge of my criminality. The driver tried to plead that I was his passenger, to no avail.

After over 30 minutes, the driver went back to the vehicle, took down my bags, brought them to me and drove on. I wondered to myself, what those mzungus would have thought: that the Nigerian had been detained because he was criminal, carrying drugs, or whatever. But I was calm.

I took out my lap top and settled down to work. Since it was a Sunday, I asked the immigration officer if he was sure that his boss was really going to come to work. My plans to be at Sunday Mass in Arusha had crumbled. Since I had a ticket, I wondered if I should simply return to Nairobi, abandon my wild life search and take the flight to Arusha. But the officer said: The Mass should finish at 12.00noon so my boss will be here after 12p.m., unless they have a meeting in the Church. I felt relieved by the thoughts that first, the boss was a Catholic and secondly, if he was also a leader in the Church, my problems were over and who knows, I might even get lunch before I continue my journey. At about 12.30 p.m., one gentleman walked in and from the reaction of the officer, I knew this must be the boss and I thanked God that there had been no Church Council meeting. After he settled in the office, the officer nodded and asked me to go in. What of my passport, I asked? Just go and explain yourself, he will call for me later, the officer said, as if he and I were acting out some conspiratorial plot. I went into the office, retrieved my Habari, the only Swahili I knew and put it again to use. He looked up and then smiled.

Even before I introduced myself, he stood up when he saw my collar. Good afternoon Father, he said as he stretched out his hand. What can I do for you? Goodness me, was I pleased to see this gentleman? I was already preparing a plea bargain for his officer because I was sure that the officer was going to be seriously reprimanded by this good Catholic for keeping a Catholic priest waiting, especially having just come from Mass. I was wrong. As soon as I finished my side of the story, he called the officer. Yes Father, he said, you are from Nigeria. Unfortunately, the law does not allow us to let Nigerians in. You fall within a category of countries that we have problems with. So, I am really very sorry, I cannot do anything for you. But, I stammered, you have a High Commission in Nigeria, I have a valid visa from your High Commission, I paid for it. Do you suspect that the visa is fake; I asked him, feeling a bit clerically agitated with an erring parishioner. No, it is not about the visa. In fact, Father, it is not your fault. You see, there is something that is supposed to be in this visa but which our officers in Abuja keep forgetting to put. What is it, I asked? The visa has a signature and a stamp, so what else do you need? We are the only ones who know, Father. I am really sorry about this and for the inconvenience. I thought for one moment. Should I ask him to take me back to his parish priest so I can lay my complaint? I thought no, I would sweat it out and see.

But, he said, what is taking you to Arusha? I was a bit angry but wondered if I should answer such a stupid question. If I did not have anything to do in Arusha, why would I buy a ticket, apply and get a visa and come all the way here, I thought. But, somehow, I thought it would be nice to remain calm and end it peacefully even though it was clear I was going nowhere. I am going to the International War Crimes Tribunal, I said to him calmly. Whom are you going to see there, he said? I am going at the invitation of the Secretary General of the Tribunal, I said. Do you work for the United Nations, he asked. No, I am just interested in what is going on there. As you can see from my passport, I am just coming from Rwanda. So, I am merely completing the second leg of my research. Not satisfied, he continued: Are you a Researcher for the United Nations? No, I am merely undertaking this research out of interest as a priest and as an African. He gave me a curious look and then asked: So where are you based, Father, in a Parish or a University? At this point, I was desperately suppressing my anger, but I pressed on. I am in both actually. But, he said, you cannot be in a University and a Parish at the same time. I shot back: That is what I just told you, I am in both. The dialogue continued: How and where? Do you have any identity? Well, I am a student at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University in the United States and I live in a Parish in Boston. As if stung by an insect in his pants, he jumped up. You are from Harvard? A Nigerian, an African at Harvard? My goodness. Let me shake your hand, again Father as he surged towards me. I am proud of you as a Catholic and an African. Harvard, he repeated with the reverence of a babalawo in a shrine.

Sorry about all this Father. Felix, he called out to the officer, stamp Father's passport immediately. Please get him a soft drink. Tell my driver to please hurry up and check in the Park if there are taxis going to Arusha now. All of a sudden, the heavens opened up. I sipped my coke as a waited for the driver's return, shocked by this sudden turn of fortunes. There was a taxi, he said, but it was still waiting for two passengers for the front seat, the driver said. Tell the taxi to bring his car here, my new friend thundered. In less than 10 minutes, the taxi pulled up in front of the office. Please take the Rev Father to Arusha immediately. Do you have enough money, Father? I nodded as I pulled out my rosary.

I did not wish to tempt fate by continuing any form of conversation. I could find no words to thank the officer. I felt more shame than gratitude. But, as we sped past the border post, a sad smile danced across my face. The smile retreated as I tried to wipe a surging tear, I sank into deep thoughts and asked myself. Is this my beloved continent, Africa? Is this the Tanzania of my greatest hero, Julius Nyerere? Is this the Tanzania that our Nigerian soldiers put their lives on the line to save in the 60s? Is this the Africa that the likes of Thabo Mbeki have tried to re-enkindle the fires of the African renaissance? Is this Africa after apartheid? How could Harvard mean more to my brother than our common brotherhood both in faith and skin?

So, when next these African Presidents and Ministers sit in their ill fitting suits and clink their glasses in Abuja, will President Obasanjo remember to ask why this humiliation of Nigerians and Nigeria persists? The President has been quick to tell Nigerian immigration officials to issue visas in 36 hours. Does he care to know what Nigerians are going through? What exactly is responsible for this nonsense? By the way, the big man at the border offered to show me the list in which Nigeria appeared. It includes citizens from Afghanistan, Bosnia, Iran and some strange nations that we have nothing in common with. This nonsense has to end now. Kole Omotosho has argued for more than 20 years that Africans should have no reasons to seek visas within Africa. Sadly, our leaders are too comfortable in their little diplomatic privileges to bother about the rest of us. This is the greatest shame of the leadership of Africa.

* Rev. Fr. Kukah is the Vicar-General of Catholic archdiocese of Kaduna and Parish Priest, St. Andrew Catholic Church, Kakuri, Kaduna

P.S. - If this article has been posted before please feel free to delete or redirect

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Tornadoz(m): 5:57am On Feb 26, 2007
But we should not forget, that its our fellow country men that has brought this humiliation upon us. When Nigerians start's to do business the proper way, this problem will cease to exist, until then we can't really do much, apart from us making our govt take the image of Nigeria seriously.
Shame.

2 Likes

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Easyy(m): 2:02pm On Feb 26, 2007
The humilation which any Nigerian passport carrying individual gets subjected to is very lamentable and it is the duty of everyone of us to do something about it.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by ugodaniel(m): 2:11pm On Feb 26, 2007
Sad Sad Sad!!!. Now Havard is more important than THE GIANT OF AFRICA. My pipo, i tire ooo!!!

1 Like

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Ferlie(m): 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2007
mumus - no be the thing we una turn una country to be that? country wey citizens no wish well for government - wetin u expect - shut up b4 i slap u there.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by nivea1806(f): 3:13pm On Feb 26, 2007
what else can u expect we caused it all. angry sad

1 Like

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 3:15pm On Feb 26, 2007
Did u say we caused it all? I totally disagree with you
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mrmayor(m): 3:34pm On Feb 26, 2007
Are you guys really surprised! Well am not.What is the Nigerian High Commision doing about all these harassment Nigerians go through in other countries?Its so annoying to get this kind of sh*t from Aids ravaged African countries.

"No Unity Based On Race" Afeni

1 Like

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by shakamc(m): 4:01pm On Feb 26, 2007
imagine!!!! ordinary tanzania,anyway what on earth will take me there only if am going there to sell their country to harvard.useless bastards
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by tobbyjohn(m): 4:15pm On Feb 26, 2007
u apart 4rm the fact that maybe nigerians have not acted appropriately , other african countries seem to be seriously envious of us in nigeria else how come they 4get so easily the good weve done to them and only remember our vices?

1 Like

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by olawa20(m): 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2007
it is what we are doing presently that they will remember. Get into any cyber-cafe and see what every tom, dick and harry is trying to do.
when we travel abroad a good number of us are doing all manner of crooked things just to make money.

Last year, the CNN did an investigative documentary on Nigerians living in Texas and concluded that most Nigerians living in the US are involved in one fraud or the other. Nigerians had to to stand up and demand a retraction of the story and an aplology, which they did.

This year again Chatham house, a think-tank group in the UK also brought out a damming report about internet fraud from Nigeria claiming that losses to Britain last runs into millions of pounds.

No matter how much we scream about it, the activity of those perpetrating these atrocities will continue to soil our image abroad

Even our vice president was in US and the UK in the last few months and interestingly enough not to launder our image but to deliver bad news about nigeria

1 Like

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 4:48pm On Feb 26, 2007
To a great extent, it is a leadership problem. In as much as they continue to travel with their God forsaken diplomatic passport, they careless what you and I pass through.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 5:02pm On Feb 26, 2007
@Olawa

Please don't be brainwashed by most report you get from foreign media esp. CNN. It all depends on who is telling the story. As far as I know, it takes two to tango.

What CNN and their likes are doing could be best described as imperialistic Journalism. Have they ever taken time to do a report on the environmental mess that foreign companies are causing in the Niger Delat in the name of oil exploration?

Has that think-tank group called Chatham House deemed neccessary to publish a report of all the foreign banks who are being used a heaven for Nigerian looted monies?

They want you to see yourself as dirty and you accepted it. No I reject it, though some people might accept it.

There is no country on this earth that does not have bad people including the US and Britain not to talk of Tanzania
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by olawa20(m): 5:33pm On Feb 26, 2007
@youngies
don't get me wrong.

i was just trying to list the very many sources where people receive report about Nigeria and form an impression about nigeria. To Non-nigerians, it is very easy to form an opinion from these sources.

someone resumed at a school abroad for post-grad studies, on introducing himself as a nigerian to his couresemates, he is inundated with stories of scam mails they receive from nigerians.

that's why i say nigerians may continue to receive such treatment except we clean our acts
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by oge4real(f): 5:41pm On Feb 26, 2007
God! I was fighting 2 hold back tears as I read this article.it is really sympathetic and has further strenghtened my resolve not to seek visa 2 any country at all for any cause whtsoever,even for pilgrimage! sad sad sad
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 5:42pm On Feb 26, 2007
I didn't get you wrong. The point I was making is that we the "clean" Nigeria should resist at all times the temptation to be cowed by the negative reports coming out of Nigeria.

If you search now for Nigerian news, I bet you 90% of what you will get is negative. None of them is interested in reporting our postive side.

Always keep your head high, while internally we are fighting the menace in our mist.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 5:48pm On Feb 26, 2007
Oge

That's not the spirit. We must find out ways of telling the world that they are not better people than us.

Think of ways of doing that
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by my2cents(m): 5:59pm On Feb 26, 2007
I have always wondered y, for the most part, it is those countries which we help financially that turn around and bite the hands that feed them. I may not be able to speak for Tanzania, but I do know that we have provided various African countries with vehicles, planes, electricity, water, etc.

I have even met a few Kenyans who have told me that prior to leaving their homeland for the states, that their folks told them to avoid Nigerians at all cost.

It's a shame. Perhaps we should just cut off such assistance and see how they view us after that.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2007
are you suggesting it as a way to solve our image problems?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by oge4real(f): 6:17pm On Feb 26, 2007
not really,but I'm not interested in solving a problem I did not cause.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by olawa20(m): 6:19pm On Feb 26, 2007
oge4real:

God! I was fighting 2 hold back tears as I read this article.it is really sympathetic and has further strenghtened my resolve not to seek visa 2 any country at all for any cause whtsoever,even for pilgrimage! sad sad sad
u don't have to take it to the extreme. we have to continue to hold our heads high.

@youngies
i can understand what you mean
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 6:20pm On Feb 26, 2007
Oge,

You must be interested, if you didn't caused it, maybe your uncles, cousins or other relations did. You never can say
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by oge4real(f): 6:25pm On Feb 26, 2007
NO WAY! we are genetically law abiding peoplr in my family.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by egoldman(m): 6:26pm On Feb 26, 2007
frankly i am lost of words here ,don't be surprised that very soon people from Liberia,sierraleone would also treat Nigerians as the scums of the earth .
we are sending over 1000 troops in the next weeks to Somalia ,so that they would have peace ,later they would turn and tell Nigerian that he has committed a crime by traveling with his Nigerian passport,and our leaders would see that and do nutting ,damn it our leaders are assholes ,i wish the days of idiabgo or even abacha would come back cos am sure they would not tolerate this at all ,just ask urself if a Colombian would get to Kenyan or Tanzanian border ,would they turn him back and say he is drug dealer ,cos hi8s country is known for drugs ? but when its about Nigerians ,collective punishment would make sense and to make it more painful and worst, some hopeless Nigerians are posting on this forum that it is "our" faults ,Jesus imagine Kenyans and Tanzanians ,i see them hopeless citizen on mumbai streets everyday angry angry angry angry angry
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by youngies(m): 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2007
eGoldman,

Honestly, I feel you, but like Ghandi said, "an eye for eye, will leave the whole world blind"
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by oge4real(f): 6:32pm On Feb 26, 2007
youngie,
are you now a peacemaker or what?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by egoldman(m): 6:42pm On Feb 26, 2007
youngies:

eGoldman,

Honestly, I feel you, but like Ghandi said, "an eye for eye, will leave the whole world blind"

so we keep turning the left cheek abi ? tell that to the jews angry angry angry nna we need to teach this people some lessons jare,i repeat again idiagbo or abacha would solve this matter rather too quickly and this rubbish countries would come back to their senses at once,sometimes the only way to get peace is by going to "war" we need to stand our ground on this ,why should our own embassies issue visas to people from Kenya and Tanzania ?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by tEsLim(m): 7:02pm On Feb 26, 2007
Motherfathers!@!!!!! I love myself I see nothin in beggin for visas!!!! And for those motherfathering HIV stricken south africans!!! they envy us. Gba be! Na envy
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Gamine(f): 7:12pm On Feb 26, 2007
Abeggie
i rather stay in Naija
all them African countries r just jealous of Nigerians
i was in Kenya d other day, gosh i was like hmm Thank God im Nigerian ooooh
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by donjazzie(m): 7:48pm On Feb 26, 2007
it's quite unfair to have a bastardised country like tanzania,have to mete out such treatment to one of our citizens,it's more like a leadershhip problem just like some mentioned.i just wonder wat would have happened if our dear Rev.father wasn't from harvard or on some visit maybe he would have been locked up for something he knows nothing about.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by donjazzie(m): 7:54pm On Feb 26, 2007
it's quite unfair to have a bastardised country like tanzania,have to mete out such treatment to one of our citizens,it's more like a leadershhip problem just like some mentioned.i just wonder wat would have happened if our dear Rev.father wasn't from harvard or on some visit maybe he would have been locked up for something he knows nothing about.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by naijacutee(f): 8:32pm On Feb 26, 2007
I am grateful for whomever wrote that article! Just shows us how bad segregration has eaten into the very core of us . . . Later we complain that the whiteman is racist but look at what we do to ourselves!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

AirForce Training Helicopter Crashes In Lagos / Container Truck Falls On Honda Accord, Near Lagos (PHOTOS) / Tanker Explosion Around MCC-Abayi In Aba This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.