Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania (26275 Views)

Poll: Who is to blame?

Nigerians are mostly to blame: often fraudulent.: 50% (30 votes)
Tanzanians are mostly to blame: too intolerant.: 49% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

Checkout Africa’s First Underwater Hotel In Tanzania / How Is Life In Tanzania? / Welcome To Tanzania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 11:39am On Jun 10, 2007
Yu need am cos u no dey sleep i guess.

Oh u want to?LOL. I go try even though i dnt trust u sef.

U don go 9jeria b4?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mukina2: 11:42am On Jun 10, 2007
i slept enuff but i am just tired grin cheesy

yeah is ur im on sef? grin no more war cheesy grin

haa trust me .i wont blackmail you grin
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 11:43am On Jun 10, 2007
Hahahaha

Muki its on bt den i dnt trust u oh

Wateva life itself na risk
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mukina2: 11:45am On Jun 10, 2007
lol . . 
and no i havnt been to 9jA B4 grin
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 11:49am On Jun 10, 2007
K i wld do dt

LOL
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mellow(m): 11:53am On Jun 10, 2007
Hnnmnm lipsrsealed
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 11:54am On Jun 10, 2007
Wat oh
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mukina2: 11:59am On Jun 10, 2007
he forgot to talk grin
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Mustay(m): 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2007
@ Muki ain't got no tiff with you o
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by mukina2: 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2007
Mustay:

@ Muki ain't got no tiff with you o

mustay hwat are you saying?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 10:29pm On Jun 10, 2007
@Mustay

How 2dai?
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by chiegemba(f): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2007
Hey!

@9ja4eva; this ur joint sef! tongue
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Mustay(m): 4:19am On Jun 12, 2007
9ja4eva yo crazy!
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2007
Mustay you no well
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Mustay(m): 8:41am On Jun 14, 2007
Back fire. Muki aint got me
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 9:01am On Jun 14, 2007
Guy ao ur end
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by dblock(m): 7:42am On Jun 15, 2007
This thread has been Hijacked.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Mustay(m): 1:37am On Jun 19, 2007
Na your profession be that? No wonder them no accept you 4 zanzibar
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by 9ja4eva: 2:18am On Jun 22, 2007
Una don come scatter this thread
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by kaisari(m): 11:18am On Feb 25, 2008
It sounds as though shaka mc and others in this site are mad at the great people of Tanzania. I'm sorry for what happened to the reverend. Tanzania is a great country, it is arguably the most beautiful land on earth, with Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, Zanzibar, and being the only source of Tanzanite. Nigerians will need Tanzania sooner or later. The economy is growing fast there and the country slightly lager than the size Nigeria has less than 40 million people. Dar es Salaam is becoming one of the leading financial and economic centers in Africa. I can't imagine a Tanzania migrating to an overpopulated Nigeria, but I can see Nigerians moving out of their overpopulated and corrupted "giant". So, think twice. By the way Tanzanians have found natural gas and are currently exploring for oil in the their country. I believe those are only two natural resources the "giant of corruption" has. You real need to go to East Africa, especially Tanzania to appreciate God's creation.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by londoner: 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2008
My sister went to Zanzibar, appantly the people are very lazy, she said its foreigners who are making progress there, the natives are very idol and quite shadist towards dark skinned Africans. I'm sure Tanzinia is a nice country, I will go their one day, but it doesn't stop Nigeria's potential. Nigerias oil and gas is largely unexplored, it is doing exploits in the banking sector, it is spilling over to neighbouring countries, There is no country in Africa who will ignore Nigeria as a market for business, so maybe its you who needs to do your research Kaisari.

Or do you think the word corruption applies to Nigeria alone?, Sweetie, look around Africa. There is no way Nigeria will NEED Tanzania at any time.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by kaisari(m): 12:31am On Feb 27, 2008
@londoner. I understand all you say about Nigeria, and some of what you saya about Zanzibar. It is true that most of the Zanzibaris are laid back, and the mainland Tanzania (Tanganyika) is vey important in their lives. Otherwise they are great people too. The blend of African, Indian, Arabic, Persian, and European cultures makes Tanzania a unique place to live or visit. You said your sister visited Tanzania, did she have any problem with the Tanzanian immigration? The Tanzanian and Kenyan immigration authorities have reputation of being tough even to their own citizens, it won't surprise me to hear someone from another part of the complaining about them. Three or four years ago the Tanzanian High Commissioner to Nigeria was asked to go back to Tanzania by their immigration authorities because he was found to be not a citizen of Tanzania. Upon his arrival to Tanzania he was required to apply for a stay permit while he is working on his application for permanent residency. Anyways, I really encourage you to go there. It is a very special land.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by kaisari(m): 12:49am On Feb 27, 2008
I'm originally from Tanzania, but every Nigerian I meet with thinks that I'm from Nigeria. They say I look Nigerian that's why I'm concerned with what's going on in Nigeria. I used to read about Nigerian politics, which is dominated by the military. Perhaps Nigeria could be better if there was no military involvement in their politics. I would like to visit Nigeria one day in order to change my view on this great African nation.

I have a few Nigerian friends here. and no one seems to think about going back there, for good. I have seen many Tanzanians returning to Tanzania after their education because of their desire to be a part of Tanzanian Dream. Nigeria's "strong" economy is probably owned by few multi-billionaires, while Tanzania's "weak" economy is under majority of Tanzanians, and that's the difference between the two. I have learnt how to didistinguish between the economy on paper and the real life economy. Education in all levels and healthcare is free in Tanzania. I would love to learn more about Nigeria.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Mustay(m): 1:22am On Mar 10, 2008
kaisari:

I'm originally from Tanzania, but every Nigerian I meet with thinks that I'm from Nigeria. They say I look Nigerian that's why I'm concerned with what's going on in Nigeria. I used to read about Nigerian politics, which is dominated by the military.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by jookco(m): 5:19pm On Mar 10, 2008
This is the kind of humiliation we face every time we travel, I can remember the kind of treatment I got from two french police, who seize my passport on transit to Amsterdam at Paris Charles de Gaul airport on the ground that I have to undergo drug test , after the test through my urine the simply tell me that a pastor from Nigeria was nabed this morning with 1 kilor or drug , so the problem is from we Nigerians though the Government don't treat us well,our embassies and consulate abroad have nothing to do with it's citizens than to collect Visa fee from foreigners;
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by maasai1(m): 3:28pm On Mar 30, 2008
Why do some Nigerians think they are the best in africa , its amusing readind through this thread. First of all its sad what happened to this guy, i dont know who to blame but one things for sure majority of those drug peddlers arressted are sorry to say nigerian. But anyway apart from nigeria having a large economy, which by the way makes sense given its very large population, i really dont see why anyone should reall have great respect for nigeria. Nigeria has great problems and so does kenya so whyt are you guys talking bad of kenya.
Btw id rather use th HDI index to measure how much a country is developed and guess what, Ghana Botswana Southafrica, Moat of north africa and KENYA yes KENYA does better than trhe all mighty nigeria,, And by the way NAirobi is The best city in ss africa outside SA.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by maasai1(m): 3:31pm On Mar 30, 2008
And by the way kenya is very beautiful, 2 million tourists a year cant be wrong, you dont believe me check this out
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-51356.0.html
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by kengirl: 12:24am On Mar 31, 2008
COMPARE AND CONTRAST

This information is from the CIA World Fact Book 2008.

1) Nigeria

Introduction Nigeria Top of Page
Background:
British influence and control over what would become Nigeria grew through the 19th century. A series of constitutions after World War II granted Nigeria greater autonomy; independence came in 1960. Following nearly 16 years of military rule, a new constitution was adopted in 1999, and a peaceful transition to civilian government was completed. The government continues to face the daunting task of reforming a petroleum-based economy, whose revenues have been squandered through corruption and mismanagement, and institutionalizing democracy. In addition, Nigeria continues to experience longstanding ethnic and religious tensions. Although both the 2003 and 2007 presidential elections were marred by significant irregularities and violence, Nigeria is currently experiencing its longest period of civilian rule since independence. The general elections of April 2007 marked the first civilian-to-civilian transfer of power in the country's history.
Geography Nigeria Top of Page
Western Africa, bordering the Gulf of Guinea, between Benin and Cameroon
Geographic coordinates:
10 00 N, 8 00 E
Map references:
Africa
Area:
total: 923,768 sq km
land: 910,768 sq km
water: 13,000 sq km
Area - comparative:
slightly more than twice the size of California
Land boundaries:
total: 4,047 km
border countries: Benin 773 km, Cameroon 1,690 km, Chad 87 km, Niger 1,497 km
Coastline:
853 km
Maritime claims:
territorial sea: 12 nm
exclusive economic zone: 200 nm
continental shelf: 200-m depth or to the depth of exploitation
Climate:
varies; equatorial in south, tropical in center, arid in north
Terrain:
southern lowlands merge into central hills and plateaus; mountains in southeast, plains in north
Elevation extremes:
lowest point: Atlantic Ocean 0 m
highest point: Chappal Waddi 2,419 m
Natural resources:
natural gas, petroleum, tin, iron ore, coal, limestone, niobium, lead, zinc, arable land
Land use:
arable land: 33.02%
permanent crops: 3.14%
other: 63.84% (2005)
Irrigated land:
2,820 sq km (2003)
Total renewable water resources:
286.2 cu km (2003)
Freshwater withdrawal (domestic/industrial/agricultural):
total: 8.01 cu km/yr (21%/10%/69%)
per capita: 61 cu m/yr (2000)
Natural hazards:
periodic droughts; flooding
Environment - current issues:
soil degradation; rapid deforestation; urban air and water pollution; desertification; oil pollution - water, air, and soil; has suffered serious damage from oil spills; loss of arable land; rapid urbanization
Environment - international agreements:
party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Law of the Sea, Marine Dumping, Marine Life Conservation, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Wetlands
signed, but not ratified: none of the selected agreements
Geography - note:
the Niger enters the country in the northwest and flows southward through tropical rain forests and swamps to its delta in the Gulf of Guinea
People Nigeria Top of Page
Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2007 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 42.2% (male 28,726,380/female 28,301,729)
15-64 years: 54.7% (male 37,543,678/female 36,277,038)
65 years and over: 3.1% (male 1,987,521/female 2,194,818) (2007 est.)
Median age:
total: 18.7 years
male: 18.8 years
female: 18.6 years (2007 est.)
Population growth rate:
2.379% (2007 est.)
Birth rate:
40.2 births/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Death rate:
16.68 deaths/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Net migration rate:
0.26 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Sex ratio:
at birth: 1.03 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.015 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.035 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.906 male(s)/female
total population: 1.022 male(s)/female (2007 est.)
Infant mortality rate:
total: 95.52 deaths/1,000 live births
male: 102.44 deaths/1,000 live births
female: 88.38 deaths/1,000 live births (2007 est.)
Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 47.44 years
male: 46.83 years
female: 48.07 years (2007 est.)
Total fertility rate:
5.45 children born/woman (2007 est.)
HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate:
5.4% (2003 est.)
HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS:
3.6 million (2003 est.)
HIV/AIDS - deaths:
310,000 (2003 est.)
Major infectious diseases:
degree of risk: very high
food or waterborne diseases: bacterial and protozoal diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid fever
vectorborne disease: malaria and yellow fever
respiratory disease: meningococcal meningitis
aerosolized dust or soil contact disease: one of the most highly endemic areas for Lassa fever
water contact disease: leptospirosis and shistosomiasis
note: highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza has been identified in this country; it poses a negligible risk with extremely rare cases possible among US citizens who have close contact with birds (2008)
Nationality:
noun: Nigerian(s)
adjective: Nigerian
Ethnic groups:
Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the following are the most populous and politically influential: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%
Religions:
Muslim 50%, Christian 40%, indigenous beliefs 10%
Languages:
English (official), Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani
Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 68%
male: 75.7%
female: 60.6% (2003 est.)
Government Nigeria Top of Page
Country name:
conventional long form: Federal Republic of Nigeria
conventional short form: Nigeria
Government type:
federal republic
Capital:
name: Abuja
geographic coordinates: 9 12 N, 7 11 E
time difference: UTC+1 (6 hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time)
Administrative divisions:
36 states and 1 territory*; Abia, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Benue, Borno, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Federal Capital Territory*, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Kogi, Kwara, Lagos, Nassarawa, Niger, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe, Zamfara
Independence:
1 October 1960 (from UK)
National holiday:
Independence Day (National Day), 1 October (1960)
Constitution:
new constitution adopted 5 May 1999; effective 29 May 1999
Legal system:
based on English common law, Islamic law (in 12 northern states), and traditional law; accepts compulsory ICJ jurisdiction with reservations
Suffrage:
18 years of age; universal
Executive branch:
chief of state: President Umaru Musa YAR'ADUA (since 29 May 2007); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
head of government: President Umaru Musa YAR'ADUA (since 29 May 2007)
cabinet: Federal Executive Council
elections: president is elected by popular vote for a four-year term (eligible for a second term); election last held 21 April 2007 (next to be held in April 2011)
election results: Umaru Musa YAR'ADUA elected president; percent of vote - official results not yet posted as of September 2007
Legislative branch:
bicameral National Assembly consists of the Senate (109 seats, 3 from each state plus 1 from Abuja; members elected by popular vote to serve four-year terms) and House of Representatives (360 seats; members elected by popular vote to serve four-year terms)
elections: Senate - last held 21 April 2007 (next to be held in April 2011); House of Representatives - last held 21 April 2007 (next to be held in April 2011)
election results: Senate - percent of vote by party - official results not yet posted as of May 2007; House of Representatives - percent of vote by party - official results not yet posted as of May 2007
Judicial branch:
Supreme Court (judges appointed by the President); Federal Court of Appeal (judges are appointed by the federal government on the advice of the Advisory Judicial Committee)
Political parties and leaders:
Accord Party [Ikra Aliyu BILBIS]; Action Congress or AC [Hassan ZUMI]; Alliance for Democracy or AD [Mojisoluwa AKINFENWA]; All Nigeria Peoples' Party or ANPP [Edwin UME-EZEOKE]; All Progressives Grand Alliance or APGA [Victor C. UMEH]; Democratic People's Party or DPP [Jeremiah USENI]; Fresh Democratic Party [Chris OKOTIE]; Labor Party [Dan NWANYANWU]; Movement for the Restoration and Defense of Democracy or MRDD [Mohammed Gambo JIMETA]; National Democratic Party or NDP [Aliyu Habu FARI]; Peoples Democratic Party or PDP [vacant]; Peoples Progressive Alliance [Clement EBRI]; Peoples Redemption Party or PRP [Abdulkadir Balarabe MUSA]; Peoples Salvation Party or PSP [Lawal MAITURARE]; United Nigeria Peoples Party or UNPP [Mallam Selah JAMBO]
Political pressure groups and leaders:
NA
International organization participation:
ACP, AfDB, AU, C, ECOWAS, FAO, G-15, G-24, G-77, IAEA, IBRD, ICAO, ICC, ICCt, ICRM, IDA, IDB, IFAD, IFC, IFRCS, IHO, ILO, IMF, IMO, IMSO, Interpol, IOC, IOM, IPU, ISO, ITSO, ITU, ITUC, MIGA, MINURSO, NAM, OAS (observer), OIC, OPCW, OPEC, PCA, UN, UNAMID, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UNHCR, UNIDO, UNITAR, UNMEE, UNMIL, UNMIS, UNOCI, UNOMIG, UNWTO, UPU, WCO, WFTU, WHO, WIPO, WMO, WTO
Diplomatic representation in the US:
chief of mission: Ambassador Oluwole ROTIMI
chancery: 3519 International Court NW, Washington, DC 20008
telephone: [1] (202) 986-8400
FAX: [1] (202) 775-1385
consulate(s) general: Atlanta, New York
Diplomatic representation from the US:
chief of mission: Ambassador Robin SANDERS
embassy: 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Abuja
mailing address: P. O. Box 5760, Garki, Abuja
telephone: [234] (9) 461-4000
FAX: [234] (9) 461-4036/4273
Flag description:
three equal vertical bands of green (hoist side), white, and green
Economy Nigeria Top of Page
Economy - overview:
Oil-rich Nigeria, long hobbled by political instability, corruption, inadequate infrastructure, and poor macroeconomic management, is undertaking some reforms under a new reform-minded administration. Nigeria's former military rulers failed to diversify the economy away from its overdependence on the capital-intensive oil sector, which provides 20% of GDP, 95% of foreign exchange earnings, and about 80% of budgetary revenues. The largely subsistence agricultural sector has failed to keep up with rapid population growth - Nigeria is Africa's most populous country - and the country, once a large net exporter of food, now must import food. Following the signing of an IMF stand-by agreement in August 2000, Nigeria received a debt-restructuring deal from the Paris Club and a $1 billion credit from the IMF, both contingent on economic reforms. Nigeria pulled out of its IMF program in April 2002, after failing to meet spending and exchange rate targets, making it ineligible for additional debt forgiveness from the Paris Club. In the last year the government has begun showing the political will to implement the market-oriented reforms urged by the IMF, such as to modernize the banking system, to curb inflation by blocking excessive wage demands, and to resolve regional disputes over the distribution of earnings from the oil industry. In 2003, the government began deregulating fuel prices, announced the privatization of the country's four oil refineries, and instituted the National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy, a domestically designed and run program modeled on the IMF's Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility for fiscal and monetary management. In November 2005, Abuja won Paris Club approval for a debt - relief deal that eliminated $18 billion of debt in exchange for $12 billion in payments - a total package worth $30 billion of Nigeria's total $37 billion external debt. The deal requires Nigeria to be subject to stringent IMF reviews. GDP rose strongly in 2007, based largely on increased oil exports and high global crude prices. Newly-elected President YAR'ADUA has pledged to continue the economic reforms of his successor and the proposed budget for 2008 reflects the administrations emphasis on infrastructure improvements. Infrastructure is the main impediment to growth. The government is working toward developing stronger public-private partnerships for electricity and roads.
GDP (purchasing power parity):
$294.8 billion (2007 est.)
GDP (official exchange rate):
$126.7 billion (2007 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
6.3% (2007 est.)
GDP - per capita (PPP):
$2,200 (2007 est.)
GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 17.6%
industry: 53.1%
services: 29.3% (2007 est.)
Labor force:
50.13 million (2007 est.)
Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 70%
industry: 10%
services: 20% (1999 est.)
Unemployment rate:
5.8% (2006 est.)
Population below poverty line:
70% (2007 est.)
Household income or consumption by percentage share:
lowest 10%: 1.9%
highest 10%: 33.2% (2003)
Distribution of family income - Gini index:
43.7 (2003)
Inflation rate (consumer prices):
6.5% (2007 est.)
Investment (gross fixed):
24.3% of GDP (2007 est.)
Budget:
revenues: $20.5 billion
expenditures: $21.82 billion (2007 est.)
Public debt:
14.8% of GDP (2007 est.)
Agriculture - products:
cocoa, peanuts, palm oil, corn, rice, sorghum, millet, cassava (tapioca), yams, rubber; cattle, sheep, goats, pigs; timber; fish
Industries:
crude oil, coal, tin, columbite; palm oil, peanuts, cotton, rubber, wood; hides and skins, textiles, cement and other construction materials, food products, footwear, chemicals, fertilizer, printing, ceramics, steel, small commercial ship construction and repair
Industrial production growth rate:
3.1% (2007 est.)
Electricity - production:
22.53 billion kWh (2005)
Electricity - consumption:
16.88 billion kWh (2005)
Electricity - exports:
0 kWh (2005)
Electricity - imports:
0 kWh (2005)
Oil - production:
2.44 million bbl/day (2006 est.)
Oil - consumption:
302,000 bbl/day (2006 est.)
Oil - exports:
2.141 million bbl/day (2006)
Oil - imports:
167,900 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves:
35.88 billion bbl (1 January 2006 est.)
Natural gas - production:
21.48 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - consumption:
9.936 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - exports:
11.55 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - imports:
0 cu m (2005)
Natural gas - proved reserves:
5.015 trillion cu m (1 January 2006 est.)
Current account balance:
$14.61 billion (2007 est.)
Exports:
$61.81 billion f.o.b. (2007 est.)
Exports - commodities:
petroleum and petroleum products 95%, cocoa, rubber
Exports - partners:
US 48.9%, Spain 8%, Brazil 7.3%, France 4.2% (2006)
Imports:
$30.35 billion f.o.b. (2007 est.)
Imports - commodities:
machinery, chemicals, transport equipment, manufactured goods, food and live animals
Imports - partners:
China 10.7%, US 8.3%, Netherlands 6.2%, UK 5.8%, France 5.6%, Brazil 5.1%, Germany 4.6% (2006)
Economic aid - recipient:
$6.437 billion (2005)
Reserves of foreign exchange and gold:
$50.33 billion (31 December 2007 est.)
Debt - external:
$5.815 billion (31 December 2007 est.)
Stock of direct foreign investment - at home:
$31.66 billion (2006 est.)
Stock of direct foreign investment - abroad:
$12.44 billion (2006 est.)
Market value of publicly traded shares:
$32.82 billion (2006)
Currency (code):
naira (NGN)
Exchange rates:
nairas per US dollar - 127.46 (2007), 127.38 (2006), 132.59 (2005), 132.89 (2004), 129.22 (2003)
Fiscal year:
calendar year
Communications Nigeria Top of Page
Telephones - main lines in use:
1.688 million (2006)
Telephones - mobile cellular:
32.322 million (2006)
Telephone system:
general assessment: further expansion and modernization of the fixed-line telephone network is needed
domestic: the addition of a second fixed-line provider in 2002 resulted in faster growth of this service with fixed-line subscribership nearly tripling over the past five years; wireless telephony has grown rapidly, in part responding to the shortcomings of the fixed-line network; multiple service providers operate nationally; combined fixed-line and mobile-cellular teledensity reached 25 per 100 persons in 2006
international: country code - 234; landing point for the SAT-3/WASC fiber-optic submarine cable that provides connectivity to Europe and Asia; satellite earth stations - 3 Intelsat (2 Atlantic Ocean and 1 Indian Ocean)
Radio broadcast stations:
AM 83, FM 36, shortwave 11 (2001)
Television broadcast stations:
3 (the government controls 2 of the broadcasting stations and 15 repeater stations) (2001)
Internet country code:
.ng
Internet hosts:
1,968 (2007)
Internet users:
8 million (2006)
Transportation Nigeria Top of Page
Airports:
70 (2007)
Airports - with paved runways:
total: 36
over 3,047 m: 6
2,438 to 3,047 m: 12
1,524 to 2,437 m: 10
914 to 1,523 m: 6
under 914 m: 2 (2007)
Airports - with unpaved runways:
total: 34
1,524 to 2,437 m: 1
914 to 1,523 m: 14
under 914 m: 19 (2007)
Heliports:
2 (2007)
Pipelines:
condensate 124 km; gas 3,071 km; liquid petroleum gas 156 km; oil 4,347 km; refined products 3,949 km (2007)
Railways:
total: 3,505 km
narrow gauge: 3,505 km 1.067-m gauge (2006)
Roadways:
total: 194,394 km
paved: 60,068 km
unpaved: 134,326 km (1999)
Waterways:
8,600 km (Niger and Benue rivers and smaller rivers and creeks) (2007)
Merchant marine:
total: 55 ships (1000 GRT or over) 284,400 GRT/483,316 DWT
by type: cargo 5, chemical tanker 8, combination ore/oil 1, liquefied gas 1, passenger/cargo 1, petroleum tanker 37, specialized tanker 2
foreign-owned: 3 (Norway 1, Singapore 1, Spain 1)
registered in other countries: 23 (Bahamas 2, Bermuda 11, Cambodia 2, Panama 6, Poland 1, Seychelles 1, unknown 2) (2007)
Ports and terminals:
Bonny Inshore Terminal, Calabar, Lagos
Military Nigeria Top of Page
Military branches:
Nigerian Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force (2007)
Military service age and obligation:
18 years of age for voluntary military service (2007)
Manpower available for military service:
males age 18-49: 26,802,678
females age 18-49: 25,668,446 (2005 est.)
Manpower fit for military service:
males age 18-49: 15,052,914
females age 18-49: 13,860,806 (2005 est.)
Manpower reaching military service age annually:
males age 18-49: 1,353,180
females age 18-49: 1,329,267 (2005 est.)
Military expenditures - percent of GDP:
1.5% (2006)
Transnational Issues Nigeria Top of Page
Disputes - international:
Joint Border Commission with Cameroon reviewed 2002 ICJ ruling on the entire boundary and bilaterally resolved differences, including June 2006 Greentree Agreement that immediately cedes sovereignty of the Bakassi Peninsula to Cameroon with a phase-out of Nigerian control within two years while resolving patriation issues; the ICJ ruled on an equidistance settlement of Cameroon-Equatorial Guinea-Nigeria maritime boundary in the Gulf of Guinea, but imprecisely defined coordinates in the ICJ decision and a sovereignty dispute between Equatorial Guinea and Cameroon over an island at the mouth of the Ntem River all contribute to the delay in implementation; only Nigeria and Cameroon have heeded the Lake Chad Commission's admonition to ratify the delimitation treaty which also includes the Chad-Niger and Niger-Nigeria boundaries
Refugees and internally displaced persons:
refugees (country of origin): 6,051 (Liberia)
IDPs: undetermined (communal violence between Christians and Muslims since President OBASANJO's election in 1999; displacement is mostly short-term) (2006)
Illicit drugs:
a transit point for heroin and cocaine intended for European, East Asian, and North American markets; consumer of amphetamines; safe haven for Nigerian narcotraffickers operating worldwide; major money-laundering center; massive corruption and criminal activity; Nigeria has improved some anti-money-laundering controls, resulting in its removal from the Financial Action Task Force's (FATF's) Noncooperative Countries and Territories List in June 2006; Nigeria's anti-money-laundering regime continues to be monitored by FATF

This page was last updated on 20 March, 2008

2) Kenya

Introduction Kenya Top of Page
Background:
Founding president and liberation struggle icon Jomo KENYATTA led Kenya from independence in 1963 until his death in 1978, when President Daniel Toroitich arap MOI took power in a constitutional succession. The country was a de facto one-party state from 1969 until 1982 when the ruling Kenya African National Union (KANU) made itself the sole legal party in Kenya. MOI acceded to internal and external pressure for political liberalization in late 1991. The ethnically fractured opposition failed to dislodge KANU from power in elections in 1992 and 1997, which were marred by violence and fraud, but were viewed as having generally reflected the will of the Kenyan people. President MOI stepped down in December 2002 following fair and peaceful elections. Mwai KIBAKI, running as the candidate of the multiethnic, united opposition group, the National Rainbow Coalition (NARC), defeated KANU candidate Uhuru KENYATTA and assumed the presidency following a campaign centered on an anticorruption platform. KIBAKI's NARC coalition splintered in 2005 over the constitutional review process. Government defectors joined with KANU to form a new opposition coalition, the Orange Democratic Movement, which defeated the government's draft constitution in a popular referendum in November 2005. KIBAKI faces a tough reelection challenge from leading opposition candidate Raila ODINGA in polls slated for late 2007.
Geography Kenya Top of Page
Eastern Africa, bordering the Indian Ocean, between Somalia and Tanzania
Geographic coordinates:
1 00 N, 38 00 E
Map references:
Africa
Area:
total: 582,650 sq km
land: 569,250 sq km
water: 13,400 sq km
Area - comparative:
slightly more than twice the size of Nevada
Land boundaries:
total: 3,477 km
border countries: Ethiopia 861 km, Somalia 682 km, Sudan 232 km, Tanzania 769 km, Uganda 933 km
Coastline:
536 km
Maritime claims:
territorial sea: 12 nm
exclusive economic zone: 200 nm
continental shelf: 200 m depth or to the depth of exploitation
Climate:
varies from tropical along coast to arid in interior
Terrain:
low plains rise to central highlands bisected by Great Rift Valley; fertile plateau in west
Elevation extremes:
lowest point: Indian Ocean 0 m
highest point: Mount Kenya 5,199 m
Natural resources:
limestone, soda ash, salt, gemstones, fluorspar, zinc, diatomite, gypsum, wildlife, hydropower
Land use:
arable land: 8.01%
permanent crops: 0.97%
other: 91.02% (2005)
Irrigated land:
1,030 sq km (2003)
Total renewable water resources:
30.2 cu km (1990)
Freshwater withdrawal (domestic/industrial/agricultural):
total: 1.58 cu km/yr (30%/6%/64%)
per capita: 46 cu m/yr (2000)
Natural hazards:
recurring drought; flooding during rainy seasons
Environment - current issues:
water pollution from urban and industrial wastes; degradation of water quality from increased use of pesticides and fertilizers; water hyacinth infestation in Lake Victoria; deforestation; soil erosion; desertification; poaching
Environment - international agreements:
party to: Biodiversity, Climate Change, Climate Change-Kyoto Protocol, Desertification, Endangered Species, Hazardous Wastes, Law of the Sea, Marine Dumping, Marine Life Conservation, Ozone Layer Protection, Ship Pollution, Wetlands, Whaling
signed, but not ratified: none of the selected agreements
Geography - note:
the Kenyan Highlands comprise one of the most successful agricultural production regions in Africa; glaciers are found on Mount Kenya, Africa's second highest peak; unique physiography supports abundant and varied wildlife of scientific and economic value
People Kenya Top of Page
Population:
note: estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2007 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 42.1% (male 7,826,804/female 7,720,456)
15-64 years: 55.2% (male 10,219,575/female 10,174,922)
65 years and over: 2.6% (male 446,355/female 525,609) (2007 est.)
Median age:
total: 18.6 years
male: 18.5 years
female: 18.7 years (2007 est.)
Population growth rate:
2.799% (2007 est.)
Birth rate:
38.94 births/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Death rate:
10.95 deaths/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Net migration rate:
0 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2007 est.)
Sex ratio:
at birth: 1.02 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.014 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.004 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.849 male(s)/female
total population: 1.004 male(s)/female (2007 est.)
Infant mortality rate:
total: 57.44 deaths/1,000 live births
male: 60.44 deaths/1,000 live births
female: 54.38 deaths/1,000 live births (2007 est.)
Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 55.31 years
male: 55.24 years
female: 55.37 years (2007 est.)
Total fertility rate:
4.82 children born/woman (2007 est.)
HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate:
6.7% (2003 est.)
HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS:
1.2 million (2003 est.)
HIV/AIDS - deaths:
150,000 (2003 est.)
Major infectious diseases:
degree of risk: high
food or waterborne diseases: bacterial and protozoal diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid fever
vectorborne disease: malaria
water contact disease: schistosomiasis (2008)
Nationality:
noun: Kenyan(s)
adjective: Kenyan
Ethnic groups:
Kikuyu 22%, Luhya 14%, Luo 13%, Kalenjin 12%, Kamba 11%, Kisii 6%, Meru 6%, other African 15%, non-African (Asian, European, and Arab) 1%
Religions:
Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, Muslim 10%, indigenous beliefs 10%, other 2%
note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely
Languages:
English (official), Kiswahili (official), numerous indigenous languages
Literacy:
definition: age 15 and over can read and write
total population: 85.1%
male: 90.6%
female: 79.7% (2003 est.)
Government Kenya Top of Page
Country name:
conventional long form: Republic of Kenya
conventional short form: Kenya
local long form: Republic of Kenya/Jamhuri y Kenya
local short form: Kenya
former: British East Africa
Government type:
republic
Capital:
name: Nairobi
geographic coordinates: 1 17 S, 36 49 E
time difference: UTC+3 (8 hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time)
Administrative divisions:
7 provinces and 1 area*; Central, Coast, Eastern, Nairobi Area*, North Eastern, Nyanza, Rift Valley, Western
Independence:
12 December 1963 (from UK)
National holiday:
Independence Day, 12 December (1963)
Constitution:
12 December 1963; amended as a republic 1964; reissued with amendments 1979, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1997, 2001; note - a new draft constitution was defeated by popular referendum in 2005
Legal system:
based on Kenyan statutory law, Kenyan and English common law, tribal law, and Islamic law; judicial review in High Court; accepts compulsory ICJ jurisdiction with reservations; constitutional amendment of 1982 making Kenya a de jure one-party state repealed in 1991
Suffrage:
18 years of age; universal
Executive branch:
chief of state: President Mwai KIBAKI (since 30 December 2002); Vice President Stephene Kalonzo MUSYOKA (since 10 January 2008); note - the president is both the chief of state and head of government
head of government: President Mwai KIBAKI (since 30 December 2002); Vice President Stephene Kalonzo MUSYOKA (since 10 January 2008)
cabinet: Cabinet appointed by the president
elections: president elected by popular vote for a five-year term (eligible for a second term); in addition to receiving the largest number of votes in absolute terms, the presidential candidate must also win 25% or more of the vote in at least five of Kenya's seven provinces and one area to avoid a runoff; election last held 27 December 2007 (next to be held in December 2012); vice president appointed by the president
election results: President Mwai KIBAKI reelected; percent of vote - Mwai KIBAKI 46%, Raila ODINGA 44%, Kalonzo MUSYOKA 9%
Legislative branch:
unicameral National Assembly or Bunge (224 seats; 210 members elected by popular vote to serve five-year terms, 12 so-called "nominated" members who are appointed by the president but selected by the parties in proportion to their parliamentary vote totals, 2 ex-officio members)
elections: last held 27 December 2007 (next to be held in December 2012)
election results: percent of vote by party - NA; seats by party - ODM 99, PNU 43, ODM-K 16, KANU 14 other 38; ex-officio 2; seats appointed by the president - TBD
Judicial branch:
Court of Appeal (chief justice is appointed by the president); High Court
Political parties and leaders:
Forum for the Restoration of Democracy-Kenya or FORD-Kenya [Musikari KOMBO]; Forum for the Restoration of Democracy-People or FORD-People [Simeon NYACHAE]; Kenya African National Union or KANU [Uhuru KENYATTA]; National Rainbow Coalition-Kenya or NARC-Kenya [Raphael TUJU]; Orange Democratic Movement or ODM [Raila ODINGA]; Orange Democratic Movement-Kenya or ODM-K [Kalonzo MUSYOKA]; Party of National Unity or PNU [Mwai KIBAKI]
Political pressure groups and leaders:
Council of Islamic Preachers of Kenya or CIPK [Sheikh Idris MOHAMMED]; Kenya Human Rights Commission [L. Muthoni WANYEKI]; labor unions; Muslim Human Rights Forum [Ali-Amin KIMATHI]; National Convention Executive Council or NCEC, a proreform coalition of political parties and nongovernment organizations [Ndung'u WAINANA]; Protestant National Council of Churches of Kenya or NCCK [Canon Peter Karanja MWANGI]; Roman Catholic and other Christian churches; Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims or SUPKEM [Shaykh Abdul Gafur al-BUSAIDY]
International organization participation:
ACP, AfDB, AU, C, COMESA, EAC, EADB, FAO, G-15, G-77, IAEA, IBRD, ICAO, ICCt, ICRM, IDA, IFAD, IFC, IFRCS, IGAD, ILO, IMF, IMO, IMSO, Interpol, IOC, IOM, IPU, ISO, ITSO, ITU, ITUC, MIGA, MINURSO, NAM, OPCW, PCA, UN, UNAMID, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UNHCR, UNIDO, UNMEE, UNMIL, UNMIS, UNOCI, UNWTO, UPU, WCO, WHO, WIPO, WMO, WTO
Diplomatic representation in the US:
chief of mission: Ambassador Peter Rateng Oginga OGEGO
chancery: 2249 R Street NW, Washington, DC 20008
telephone: [1] (202) 387-6101
FAX: [1] (202) 462-3829
consulate(s) general: Los Angeles
Diplomatic representation from the US:
chief of mission: Ambassador Michael RANNEBERGER
embassy: US Embassy, United Nations Avenue, Gigiri; P. O. Box 606 Village Market Nairobi
mailing address: Box 21A, Unit 64100, APO AE 09831
telephone: [254] (20) 537-800
FAX: [254] (20) 537-810
Flag description:
three equal horizontal bands of black (top), red, and green; the red band is edged in white; a large warrior's shield covering crossed spears is superimposed at the center
Economy Kenya Top of Page
Economy - overview:
The regional hub for trade and finance in East Africa, Kenya has been hampered by corruption and by reliance upon several primary goods whose prices have remained low. In 1997, the IMF suspended Kenya's Enhanced Structural Adjustment Program due to the government's failure to maintain reforms and curb corruption. A severe drought from 1999 to 2000 compounded Kenya's problems, causing water and energy rationing and reducing agricultural output. As a result, GDP contracted by 0.2% in 2000. The IMF, which had resumed loans in 2000 to help Kenya through the drought, again halted lending in 2001 when the government failed to institute several anticorruption measures. Despite the return of strong rains in 2001, weak commodity prices, endemic corruption, and low investment limited Kenya's economic growth to 1.2%. Growth lagged at 1.1% in 2002 because of erratic rains, low investor confidence, meager donor support, and political infighting up to the elections. In the key December 2002 elections, Daniel Arap MOI's 24-year-old reign ended, and a new opposition government took on the formidable economic problems facing the nation. After some early progress in rooting out corruption and encouraging donor support, the KIBAKI government was rocked by high-level graft scandals in 2005 and 2006. In 2006 the World Bank and IMF delayed loans pending action by the government on corruption. The international financial institutions and donors have since resumed lending, despite little action on the government's part to deal with corruption. The scandals have not weighed down growth, with estimated real GDP growth at more than 6 percent in 2007.
GDP (purchasing power parity):
$57.65 billion (2007 est.)
GDP (official exchange rate):
$29.5 billion (2007 est.)
GDP - real growth rate:
6.3% (2007 est.)
GDP - per capita (PPP):
$1,600 (2007 est.)
GDP - composition by sector:
agriculture: 23.8%
industry: 16.7%
services: 59.5% (2007 est.)
Labor force:
11.85 million (2005 est.)
Labor force - by occupation:
agriculture: 75%
industry and services: 25% (2003 est.)
Unemployment rate:
40% (2001 est.)
Population below poverty line:
50% (2000 est.)
Household income or consumption by percentage share:
lowest 10%: 2%
highest 10%: 37.2% (2000)
Distribution of family income - Gini index:
44.5 (1997)
Inflation rate (consumer prices):
9.3% (2007 est.)
Investment (gross fixed):
22% of GDP (2007 est.)
Budget:
revenues: $5.444 billion
expenditures: $6.399 billion (2007 est.)
Public debt:
50.8% of GDP (2007 est.)
Agriculture - products:
tea, coffee, corn, wheat, sugarcane, fruit, vegetables; dairy products, beef, pork, poultry, eggs
Industries:
small-scale consumer goods (plastic, furniture, batteries, textiles, clothing, soap, cigarettes, flour), agricultural products, horticulture, oil refining; aluminum, steel, lead; cement, commercial ship repair, tourism
Industrial production growth rate:
6.1% (2007 est.)
Electricity - production:
5.502 billion kWh (2005)
Electricity - consumption:
4.464 billion kWh (2005)
Electricity - exports:
0 kWh (2005)
Electricity - imports:
28 million kWh (2005)
Oil - production:
0 bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - consumption:
64,000 bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - exports:
8,563 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - imports:
70,540 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves:
0 bbl (1 January 2006 est.)
Natural gas - production:
0 cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - consumption:
0 cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - exports:
0 cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - imports:
0 cu m (2005)
Natural gas - proved reserves:
0 cu m (1 January 2006 est.)
Current account balance:
-$980 million (2007 est.)
Exports:
$3.76 billion f.o.b. (2007 est.)
Exports - commodities:
tea, horticultural products, coffee, petroleum products, fish, cement
Exports - partners:
Uganda 15.9%, UK 10.3%, US 8.2%, Netherlands 7.9%, Tanzania 7.7%, Pakistan 4.9% (2006)
Imports:
$7.602 billion f.o.b. (2007 est.)
Imports - commodities:
machinery and transportation equipment, petroleum products, motor vehicles, iron and steel, resins and plastics
Imports - partners:
UAE 11.8%, India 8.8%, China 8.3%, Saudi Arabia 8.3%, US 7%, South Africa 6.4%, UK 5.3%, Japan 4.7% (2006)
Economic aid - recipient:
$768.3 million (2005)
Reserves of foreign exchange and gold:
$3.1 billion (31 December 2007 est.)
Debt - external:
$7.715 billion (31 December 2007 est.)
Stock of direct foreign investment - at home:
$1.169 billion (2006 est.)
Stock of direct foreign investment - abroad:
$124 million (2006 est.)
Market value of publicly traded shares:
$11.38 billion (2006)
Currency (code):
Kenyan shilling (KES)
Exchange rates:
Kenyan shillings per US dollar - 68.309 (2007), 72.101 (2006), 75.554 (2005), 79.174 (2004), 75.936 (2003)
Fiscal year:
1 July - 30 June
Communications Kenya Top of Page
Telephones - main lines in use:
293,400 (2006)
Telephones - mobile cellular:
6.485 million (2006)
Telephone system:
general assessment: inadequate; fixed-line telephone system is small and inefficient; trunks are primarily microwave radio relay; business data commonly transferred by a very small aperture terminal (VSAT) system
domestic: no recent growth in fixed-line infrastructure and the sole provider, Telkom Kenya, is slated for privatization; multiple providers in the mobile-cellular segment of the market fostering a boom in mobile-cellular telephone usage
international: country code - 254; satellite earth stations - 4 Intelsat
Radio broadcast stations:
AM 24, FM 18, shortwave 6 (2001)
Television broadcast stations:
8 (2001)
Internet country code:
.ke
Internet hosts:
2,120 (2007)
Internet users:
2.77 million (2006)
Transportation Kenya Top of Page
Airports:
225 (2007)
Airports - with paved runways:
total: 15
over 3,047 m: 4
2,438 to 3,047 m: 1
1,524 to 2,437 m: 4
914 to 1,523 m: 5
under 914 m: 1 (2007)
Airports - with unpaved runways:
total: 210
1,524 to 2,437 m: 12
914 to 1,523 m: 113
under 914 m: 85 (2007)
Pipelines:
refined products 900 km (2007)
Railways:
total: 2,778 km
narrow gauge: 2,778 km 1.000-m gauge (2006)
Roadways:
total: 63,265 km (interurban roads)
paved: 8,933 km
unpaved: 54,332 km
note: there also are 100,000 km of rural roads and 14,500 km of urban roads for a national total of 177,765 km (2004)
Waterways:
part of Lake Victoria system is within boundaries of Kenya (2006)
Merchant marine:
total: 1 ship (1000 GRT or over) 3,737 GRT/5,558 DWT
by type: petroleum tanker 1
registered in other countries: 5 (Bahamas 1, Comoros 1, St Vincent and The Grenadines 2, Tuvalu 1, unknown 1) (2007)
Ports and terminals:
Mombasa
Military Kenya Top of Page
Military branches:
Kenyan Army, Kenyan Navy, Kenyan Air Force (2007)
Military service age and obligation:
18 years of age (est.) for voluntary service, with a 9-year obligation (2007)
Manpower available for military service:
males age 18-49: 7,303,153
females age 18-49: 7,083,726 (2005 est.)
Manpower fit for military service:
males age 18-49: 3,963,532
females age 18-49: 3,471,926 (2005 est.)
Military expenditures - percent of GDP:
2.8% (2006)
Transnational Issues Kenya Top of Page
Disputes - international:
Kenya served as an important mediator in brokering Sudan's north-south separation in February 2005; Kenya provides shelter to almost a quarter of a million refugees, including Ugandans who flee across the border periodically to seek protection from Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebels; Kenya works hard to prevent the clan and militia fighting in Somalia from spreading across the border, which has long been open to nomadic pastoralists; the boundary that separates Kenya's and Sudan's sovereignty is unclear in the "Ilemi Triangle," which Kenya has administered since colonial times
Refugees and internally displaced persons:
refugees (country of origin): 150,459 (Somalia), 76,646 (Sudan), 14,862 (Ethiopia)
IDPs: 431,150 (KANU attacks on opposition tribal groups in 1990s) (2006)
Trafficking in persons:
current situation: Kenya is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children trafficked for forced labor and sexual exploitation; children are trafficked within the country for domestic servitude, street vending, agricultural labor, and sexual exploitation; men, women, and girls are trafficked to the Middle East, other African nations, Western Europe, and North America for domestic servitude, enslavement in massage parlors and brothels, and manual labor; Chinese women trafficked for sexual exploitation reportedly transit Nairobi and Bangladeshis may transit Kenya for forced labor in other countries
tier rating: Tier 2 Watch List - Kenya is placed on the Tier 2 Watch List due to a lack of evidence of increasing efforts to combat severe forms of trafficking
Illicit drugs:
widespread harvesting of small plots of marijuana; transit country for South Asian heroin destined for Europe and North America; Indian methaqualone also transits on way to South Africa; significant potential for money-laundering activity given the country's status as a regional financial center; massive corruption, and relatively high levels of narcotics-associated activities

This page was last updated on 20 March, 2008
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by kengirl: 12:45am On Mar 31, 2008
oops, my sources were https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ke.html and https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

The reason why I posted the information above is so that people can argue using facts. Nigerians (not all, but many) tend to think their country is the best (in every way, literally) in Sub Saharan Africa. However, you guys should realize that, in spite of all your natural wealth e.g. oil and gas, you still have a myriad of problems. According to the stats, more than half the population lives below the poverty line. Your literacy level is low in comparison to many other African countries (69%), your life expectancy level is low (48 years), and your infant mortality death rate is high, among others. Many citizens of other African countries actually enjoy a better quality of life than many Nigerians living in Nigeria. That is why you find Nigerians migrating to other African countries like Gabon, South Africa, Kenya (yes, believe it, we have a growing Nigerian immigrant population in Kenya), etc. The reverse is not the case though. You will not find Africans from other countries migrating to Naija unless it is on a job assignment. So that should tell you something.

You guys, (and I'm talking to the people on this forum, not Naijas in general), are running around shouting about how unworthy other African countries are, and how the rest of us cannot hold a candle to you. Well, allow me to ask, what have you got to show for all the oil, gas, and other minerals? What? It's a shame that, in a country as blessed as yours, more than half the population still lives below the poverty line. So think before you go insulting other countries. There is a swahili saying that states "Kutangulia sio kufika", meaning, being ahead, or leading, doesn't necessarily indicate victory, or first place, so to speak. Yes, your country has great potential. We all know that. But do not undermine other countries. You do not know what they may discover tomorrow. So please, desist from insulting other African countries. Thank you.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by maasai1(m): 11:41pm On Mar 31, 2008
Thanks kengal for that. Couldnt have said it better. Well its a good thing not all naija people hold the same veiws as some people here.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by Nobody: 5:18am On May 20, 2011
Kai!! Nigerians don suffer!

it's messed up.
Re: No Nigerians Welcome In Tanzania by AjanleKoko: 2:48pm On May 20, 2011
Well. . . if you travel around Africa a lot, you'll realise just how ignorant Africans are. Found it particularly hilarious how the bumpkin's attitude changed when he heard Fr. Kukah was at Harvard. I wonder what he'll do if he hears that there are dozens of Nigerian professors at Harvard.

Truth be told, we are miles ahead of the rest of SSA in terms of exposure. Most of the hatred we experience is some kind of inferiority complex. Been to a few African countries myself, and all I hear is Nigerians are this, Nigerians are that. Na so we gangsta?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pregnant Woman Dies In An Accident On Zamfara Road ( Graphic Photos) / Asaba, Delta Flooded After Heavy Rainfall (Photos) / Tanker Explosion Around MCC-Abayi In Aba This Morning (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 193
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.