Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,705 members, 7,820,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (13128 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Why Do Pentecostal Christians Shake Their Heads Vigorously While Praying? / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 30, 2010
This topic is totally random. I was just wondering why we close our eyes when we pray. It has been instilled in me right from sunday school to always close my eyes. I think d reason then was to prevent distraction, esp as children. Now that i'm all grown up does that still apply? Is it a biblical injunction or something? Cos whenever my eyes are open during prayers, i feel a lil guilty.
So my question is, as christians is it mandatory to close our eyes when in prayer.
BTW cud u also touch a little on covering of hair 4 women as well. Thanks
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by muhsin(m): 11:24am On Mar 30, 2010
What is your religion?
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by agathamari(f): 11:47am On Mar 30, 2010
closing of your eyes is supposed to show you are concentrating on the lord and ignoring all distractions, that he is the most important thing in that moment. the covering of hair is a nigerian/african thing not dictated by the church and most countries dont do it.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Brisingr(m): 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2010
U do not want 2 b poked in d eye by d evilspirits livin d other members body
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by SuperT(m): 1:49am On Mar 31, 2010
Closing of your eyes while praying is to prevent 1. desracted 2. your sprit man from wondring about 3. you from being carried away by what is happenning at that time

4. you from missing divine revelation.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by rite2salas(m): 3:13am On Mar 31, 2010
Brisingr:

U do not want 2 b poked in d eye by d evilspirits livin d other members body

lol
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Mudley313: 4:39am On Mar 31, 2010
Closing of your eyes while praying is to prevent 1. desracted 2. your sprit man from  wondring about 3. you from being  carried away by what is happenning  at that time

4. you from missing divine revelation.

lol @ the 3 bolded/retarded answers above
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by afrobaby(f): 10:16am On Mar 31, 2010
It's basically to avoid DISTRACTION, either u are young or old, u can be distracted
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by kenpaam: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2010
SO guys no go see all dem fine girls and see fake visions.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by manmustwac(m): 12:31am On Apr 01, 2010
closing your eyes help to block out distractions and help u focus on your prayers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Nobody: 12:37am On Apr 01, 2010
because that is what they believe

you can pray anywhere, it's all your mind set, close eyes or open eyes

it's the same, as long as u know u re praying to God. God knows your mind

U don't need to start screaming b4 God can hear ur prayers

Just my own thought #3
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by mamagee3(f): 12:37am On Apr 01, 2010
Cause we are talking to God, Is this even a question?
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by InesQor(m): 12:46am On Apr 01, 2010
I'm a Christian but I don't usually close my eyes when I pray because when I close my eyes, that's when I get distracted and in that "blackness" I start day-dreaming. I'm serious.

So, one man's food is another man's poison.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by CuteAngel(f): 7:57am On Apr 01, 2010
Its optional as long as ur mind is in it, u can either close ur eyes or open them.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by promiseA: 3:40pm On Apr 01, 2010
Closing of eyes when praying is to prevent you from being distracted. What you see causes your mind to wonder. so for you to concentrate both physically and spiritually, is adviced that you close your eyes.
For covering of the head for ladies it is Biblical. 1Cor11:3-6 advice the woman to cover her head when praying or she shave her hair. Your hair does not provide the covering because you would not have been told to shave. please honour your head who is your husband. If you are not married Christ is your head, honour him when you pray. God bless you
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Fhemmmy: 4:07pm On Apr 01, 2010
Praying while eyes are looking all over the place cld distract you.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by papagiddy(m): 5:39pm On Apr 01, 2010
some people dont like closing eye when praying. even TB Joshua sef!
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Fhemmmy: 1:10am On Apr 02, 2010
^^^ There is no law that said you must close your eyes
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 2:32am On Apr 02, 2010
[size=13pt]because Christianity , there have always been tricks to deceive . . . . . cheesy[/size]
Fhemmmy:

^^^ There is no law that said you must close your eyes
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by SuperT(m): 6:10am On Apr 02, 2010
Closing your eyes while praying is for your own good. You will be able to concentrated on your prayers

and if you open your eyes, you will only see your follow prayer partners but if you closed your eyes you can

get Divine instructions.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by ukotmi: 6:34pm On Apr 02, 2010
If I want to eat, I keep my eyes open tongue tongue tongue tongue. You know now, My younger ones may make away with my food while I close my eyes grin grin grin grin.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by SuperT(m): 8:35pm On Apr 03, 2010
If you open your eyes while praying does not your prayer will answer if you concentrated and remain focus throughout the

prayer secsson. But in other not to missed in any is better to closed eyes while praying.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by bee444: 1:15am On Apr 04, 2010
Closing of eyes in Nigerian Churches and all other Black Churches is a perpetuated misconception that has for decades turned Churches into being stereotype. The Pastors should know better and stop forcing it on everyone.

These are some of the genuine reasons why we close our eyes when praying;

1. So that you won't be carried away/arouse by the a.s.s of that sister standing/sitting in front of you
2. so not to feel inferior/condemned by the vibrant prayer of that brother/sister beside you
3. We close our eyes sometimes for the Pastor's selfish mission (can't expand on this, pls use ur initiative)
4. To give 100% of our attention to God
5. To avoid talking to another whilst prayer in going on
6. To avoid seeing the overly-emotional sisters/brothers sentiments.

, to be continued,
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by SuperT(m): 3:02pm On Apr 04, 2010
Prayer is spiritual activities , you are talking to God that is Spirit, you need to be inspirit, so the state of your spiritman is
what is very important ,open your eye to see what are not to see may distract your spiritman.
Also there a lot spirit come out of person. when they come out they look for careless one to enter. Nigeria and all other Black
Environment are polluted and demonic. They can program any in ones life. therefore you need to be very carefull. Closing your eyes
will place you on the saver side.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Mckybarf(m): 12:33am On Oct 31, 2012
Cherechy: This topic is totally random. I was just wondering why we close our eyes when we pray. It has been instilled in me right from sunday school to always close my eyes. I think d reason then was to prevent distraction, esp as children. Now that i'm all grown up does that still apply? Is it a biblical injunction or something? Cos whenever my eyes are open during prayers, i feel a lil guilty.
So my question is, as christians is it mandatory to close our eyes when in prayer.
well i never understand it myself until i prayed for a while with my eyes opened. I can barely concentrate and my mind seems to wonder quite a lot from my engagement. Thats just it.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by rabbinisha: 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
to avoid destruction, try it your self you see you won't concentrate.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by JesusisLord85: 9:49pm On Sep 01, 2014
Cherechy: This topic is totally random. I was just wondering why we close our eyes when we pray. It has been instilled in me right from sunday school to always close my eyes. I think d reason then was to prevent distraction, esp as children. Now that i'm all grown up does that still apply? Is it a biblical injunction or something? Cos whenever my eyes are open during prayers, i feel a lil guilty.

You do not need to close your eyes. Daniel opened his window and looked toward Jerusalem while they were in captivity. Same way Muslims look towards Mecca.

Daniel 6:10 "Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime."

Why did he do this?

1 Kings 8:30 And hearken thou to the supplication of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, when they shall pray toward this place: and hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place: and when thou hearest, forgive.

You must cover your head when you pray. It is uncomely for a woman to not do so. Christendom ignores this because they do not like rules. They think grace (which simply means mercy) means anything goes.

Shalom
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Infomizer(m): 9:00am On Sep 02, 2014
I can still close my eyes and lose focus, so the distraction thingy doesn't work for me...#JustSaying
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by jdilight(m): 11:35am On Sep 02, 2014

We close our eyes to concentrate, it is not an obligation. Most occassions I don't close mine eyes. Most times I don't even pray to be heard by the nearest person.
Re: Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 18, 2016
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

The Tithing Issue / Muhammed And The Flying Horse / The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.