Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire (752 Views)

Things Fall Apart VS Arrow Of God (pics) / Is “Things Fall Apart” Really Chinua Achebe's Best Work? / Achebe's Things Fall Apart Named One Of 50 Most Influential Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire by Orikinla(m): 12:51pm On Mar 30, 2010
He was speaking in an interview he granted Deborah Solomon for The New York Times on his historic Things Fall Apart which has been translated into over 40 different languages worldwide and sold over 8 million copies.

"That would be possible. I’m not grumbling; I have done well. But don’t imagine I’m a millionaire," Achebe said.

http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2010/03/chinua-achebe-acting-president-goodluck.html
Re: Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire by Greycells(m): 11:16am On Apr 01, 2010
This is not cheering news! embarassed
Re: Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire by AzukaO(m): 12:17pm On Apr 01, 2010
Many Nigerians would give an arm to be as 'poor' as Achebe. He is the Literary Don, the Weaver of Words.

Thanks, Orikinla, for confirming the fact that Achebe was crippled in1990. I have seen many posts that say he had the accident in 2003 or something like that. I remember that he had the accident after he celebrated the Eagle on Iroko at UNN not long after Mandela was released from Prison in 1990.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe Says Things Fall Apart Has Not Made Him A Millionaire by Orikinla(m): 11:16am On Apr 03, 2010
Chinua Achebe is a great writer, but he has taken many things for granted in his relationship with people.
He gave the original manuscript of Things Fall Apart to someone who never returned it and that manuscript is still missing. Then the publishers and translators of Things Fall Apart have been cheating him and have not paid him all his royalties. There are publishers who have made millions of dollars from Things Fall Apart.
Millions of copies of Things Fall Apart have been pirated by Igbo traders and they are still doing so openly.
All the copies of Chinua Achebe's books sold on the streets of Nigeria are pirated copies.

There are other versions of Things Fall Apart that were not authorized by Chinua Achebe.

(1) (Reply)

Cant See Views Posted For Ma Topics / How Can One Discover His Purpose? / Ebook Cover Or Software Box Design Secret I Discovered!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.