Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% (17169 Views)

New Note Crisis: CBN May Print Naira Abroad To Ease Cash Crunch / Uk Slashes Import Of Nigerian Oil By 60% / Price Of Garri Drops By 60% In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by 989900: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2017
pol23:
This news is just a hype.
The total worth of the Tank Farm is $330M.
How possible can this cut the Apapa congestion by 60%?.
It's not near being real...Sure they'll reduce the Traffic, many of the suppliers will prefer to buy from them, when you consider their location,you don't need to enter Lagos and Face traffic or having to que for days at the port.
But talking about the availability of the product and their Capacity,they can't serve 20% of the suppliers.
Their Proposed output is 600M litter monthly and Nigeria runs on over 40M litter daily...that's over 1.6B litter monthly.
It's a welcome Development,but The Lagos traffic will still be there.

1. We don't consume 40m litres a day (that has been disproved . . . that was subsidy racketeering figures).

2. While I get the angle you are coming from, you need to factor in the fact that not all petroleum products consumed in the country comes in through Apapa (some NNPC refineries still work at roughly 30% or so).

3. Petrolex is building a 250,000 BPD refinery in the complex as well.

4. I see Dangote and Petrolex 'probably' doing throughput business if this comes to fruition.

5. Taking the above into consideration and the renovation/reconstruction works going on along the Apapa-Oshodi-Oworonsoki route, not to mention the train networks (Lagos Blue Line, LA-IB rail, etc.), and the proposed move of cargo to Papalanto by rail for clearance.
I strongly feel our Apapa nightmares will be forgone history in few years.

2 Likes

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by EvilMetahuman: 9:18am On Dec 09, 2017
DaudaAbu:
So what is innovative here?

Are they hoping that the country will continue to import petroleum product

I thought they should be building refinery. Abi na dangote product they want to be stocking
it will handle the country's distribution needs. Not necessarily imported.

Even when dangote completes his refinery, he still needs distributors like this (adebutu), or otedala, ubah etc to distribute refined products.

3 Likes

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Ihatepork: 9:19am On Dec 09, 2017
Segun Adebutu is the son of Kessington Adebutu (Baba Ijebu)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by EvilMetahuman: 9:21am On Dec 09, 2017
NCP:
Ogun again, SW? What's happening to private investments in other regions?
because we will not one day blow their investment up just to punish the entire country or spit on the face of the president.

9 Likes

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Larryton(m): 9:27am On Dec 09, 2017
kay29000:

Thanks for the comment, but I still don't know exactly where that is. Where is Itokin? Which other popular area is close to the place? Ikorodu? Sagamu?

About 15mins drive from Ìjẹ̀bú ode and not too far from ikorodu as well, u can check Google for more info sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by kay29000(m): 9:28am On Dec 09, 2017
Larryton:

About 15mins drive from Ìjẹ̀bú ode and not too far from ikorodu as well, u can check Google for more info sir.

Okay. Thanks.
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:06am On Dec 09, 2017
When would the project take off and be completed? People are really suffering around the Apapa axis. Total nightmare.
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Spylord48: 10:17am On Dec 09, 2017
Larryton:

Ibefun share boundry with Lagos and ogun state very close to Itokin in lagos state. I once worked as a surveyor in petrolex, then we were creating part where there pipeline will pass. Massive construction is going on there.

Please do you know if the firm is recruiting now?
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 09, 2017
NCP:
Ogun again, SW? What's happening to private investments in other regions?

Akwa ibom has bn attracting a lot of private investments lately.

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Nobody: 11:08am On Dec 09, 2017
I just hope apapa returns to d way it was. The apapa I grew up knowing was so beautiful. Even in the 80's & early 90's. Good ol days.

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Zico5(m): 12:05pm On Dec 09, 2017
countryfive:

sorry o! its not your fault , your attitude has something to do with ur upbringing.
u are just a slowpoke. Tell who is more trained between Yoruba and ur tribe. we don't wake our parents with kicks or murder them in cold blood.
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Larryton(m): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2017
Spylord48:

Please do you know if the firm is recruiting now?

I don't know sir because I have left there due to disturbance of all these ọmọ onílè (land speculator) which the management have to resolve before our work can continue
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Spylord48: 1:13pm On Dec 09, 2017
Larryton:

I don't know sir because I have left there due to disturbance of all these ọmọ onílè (land speculator) which the management have to resolve before our work can continue

thanks
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Blue3k(m): 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2017
LordAdam16:

Nonsense trash.

Has pipeline ever been blown in Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers or Edo.

Abi is there no vandalism in Lagos, Ogun and virtually all states where pipelines cross.

I'm not hating on the SW, but this misconception has to stop. ExxonMobil is still in Akwa Ibom, Cheveron run much of their operations in PH.

If the investors are worried about pipeline being blown up, there are peaceful areas in SS to site projects like this. They can keep the administrative branch in the SW since it's the financial nerve of the country.

If you say since it's majorly a gasoline tank farm, so they have to cite it close to the ports where gasoline is offloaded, I'll understand. But don't switch to the default security risk argument.

Anyway, nothing concern me, I don hands-up for this country mata.

-Lord

Lol you were the one celebrating the militant's proclamation now you're here saying it's not that bad. Investors should dump money because you have them green light? Don't talk with a forked tongue now tongue.

The same Akwa Ibom where the governor crying over Exxon Mobil HQ them ordering them to return on nonexistent directives. Company's generally keep their HQ and opperation together. This why most oil companies are based in Houston instead of New York.

Akwa Ibom and SS does attract investment but their antics does drive away some investors. It's the regions reputation now. 2 major refineries went to SW. What I said then is proving to be true. I don't need to better proof.

5 Likes

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by scherzo247: 4:34pm On Dec 09, 2017
Nice development I visited the site last 3 weeks ago and I don't believe what am seing there I no with this Ogun state gain weight sure grin
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by miraclear: 5:32pm On Dec 09, 2017
Rotentina:

Do you know the owner or the brain behind this gigantic business?

YES I KNOW....BECAUSE GREAT MIND THINK ALIKE WATCH OUT FOR ME TOO .... BUT THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS :

Segun Adebutu is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Petrolex Oil & Gas Ltd, a company presently building "the second largest refinery in sub-Saharan Africa and the largest petroleum product depot in Nigeria" in Ogun State[2][3] Segun Adebutu serves as the Executive Director and member of the Board of Premier Lotto Nigeria Limited. He is the Chairman of Bluebridge Marine and Oladiran Agro-Allied Company, Oladiran Engineering & Trade Limited. He ventured into entertainment business when he founded a music record label, named Baseline Records, which signed on music artistes like: Skales, Saeon, and others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segun_Adebutu

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:14pm On Dec 09, 2017
all this one na still for the south west e dey...n.a. ogun state youths go benefits from the 10,000 jobs that will be created....well let it become a reality that's my own...cheers
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 10:19am On Dec 10, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol you were the one celebrating the militant's proclamation now you're here saying it's not that bad. Investors should dump money because you have them green light? Don't talk with a forked tongue now tongue.

The same Akwa Ibom where the governor crying over Exxon Mobil HQ them ordering them to return on nonexistent directives. Company's generally keep their HQ and opperation together. This why most oil companies are based in Houston instead of New York.

Akwa Ibom and SS does attract investment but their antics does drive away some investors. It's the regions reputation now. 2 major refineries went to SW. What I said then is proving to be true. I don't need to better proof.

The militants proclamation has nothing to do with any of this.

They don't target refineries. We have 3 refineries in the SS, none of them has been targeted since they were built.

Saying security is a reason not cite a refinery in the SS is a moot point. As I said, I have nothing against the SW, but don't insult anyone's intelligence by using unreasonable points to justify citing the refineries in the SW.

Dangote can say he is citing the infrastructure in Lagos because the state is basically the hub of distribution of refined petroleum products and is the financial nerve of the country. Adebutu is citing his in Ogun since he is from the state.

If the three refineries in the SS are sold, they'd function optimally without any disruption to their activities.

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 10:24am On Dec 10, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
because we will not one day blow their investment up just to punish the entire country or spit on the face of the president.

Can you give one instance where a gasoline depot or refinery in the SS have been blown up? Just one.

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by EvilMetahuman: 11:16am On Dec 10, 2017
LordAdam16:

Can you give one instance where a gasoline depot or refinery in the SS have been blown up? Just one.

-Lord
so it has to be gasoline depot or refinery?

how old are you?
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Blue3k(m): 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2017
LordAdam16:

The militants proclamation has nothing to do with any of this.

They don't target refineries. We have 3 refineries in the SS, none of them has been targeted since they were built.

Saying security is a reason not cite a refinery in the SS is a moot point. As I said, I have nothing against the SW, but don't insult anyone's intelligence by using unreasonable points to justify citing the refineries in the SW.

Dangote can say he is citing the infrastructure in Lagos because the state is basically the hub of distribution of refined petroleum products and is the financial nerve of the country. Adebutu is citing his in Ogun since he is from the state.

If the three refineries in the SS are sold, they'd function optimally without any disruption to their activities.

-Lord

Lol this is too funny. You can target the oil pipelines they need and you don't feel that effects the refinery's business. Oil output drop like a rock because of they clowns you support till government pays them off. You should explain how disrupting downstream sector doesn't effect upstream sector to these investors.

Dangote and this guy both had choice on building refineries in SS but they don't. People internationally don't care to build new one. The same opportunities exist in both regions. There's only a few differences people could point out like infrastructure and safety.

Your point about him being from Ogun doesn't matter. His love for his state won't come before profits especially if he wants to put company of stock exchange. Lenders don't care about Ogun they just want him to bring back profits. I won't argue this any more.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LaudateII: 12:47am On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

Gbam!! sad Na true word you talk, jare!

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 8:24am On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

Lol this is too funny. You can target the oil pipelines they need and you don't feel that effects the refinery's business. Oil output drop like a rock because of they clowns you support till government pays them off. You should explain how disrupting downstream sector doesn't effect upstream sector to these investors.

Dangote and this guy both had choice on building refineries in SS but they don't. People internationally don't care to build new one. The same opportunities exist in both regions. There's only a few differences people could point out like infrastructure and safety.

Your point about him being from Ogun doesn't matter. His love for his state won't come before profits especially if he wants to put company of stock exchange. Lenders don't care about Ogun they just want him to bring back profits. I won't argue this any more.

Read what you typed again and tell me it makes sense.

If a pipeline is blown, it doesn't matter where you cite the refinery. Whether in Lagos or Kaduna, there wouldn't be a flow of oil. So the idea about oil assets being potentially compromised as a reason for citing a refinery in the SW is a massive sinkhole. It is baseless.

Is this actually too complex for you to understand?

Rainoil has the largest depot for gasoline in Delta, it has never been blown up.

When facts are brought up, you switch to sentimentality, because you simply can't measure up.

And how can you say the point of him being from Ogun doesn't matter? It plays a role.

Many of these newer refinery players know that at some point the state refineries would be sold and would hit their full potential, which means there's likely to be surplus of refined products. Those in the SW have a better chance of coping with it, since they can easily load products onto ships to export to other African countries cheaply.

Not everything is about a phantom security risk that only exists in your imagination.

You are educated and you're informed, but some of your opinions are colored by bias instead of being rooted in verifiable facts. When talk about the Ogoni cleanup being stalled comes up, you'd be no where to be found. The moment we talk about heading back to the trenches to jolt the establishment to their senses, you'd emerge from your cocoon.

That's sad.

And it's part of the problem in this country. We don't have a friendly competition between regions, it's practically a cold war. And we can so quickly push facts to the back burner as long as doing so gives us the opportunity to display our ethnic and regional bias crassly.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 8:26am On Dec 11, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
so it has to be gasoline depot or refinery?

how old are you?

Yes, it has to be.

Can you kindly show the stats, or am I to assume you've been talking out of your a$$ as usual?

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Blue3k(m): 9:08am On Dec 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

I don't comment on every story. Next
If a pipeline is blown, it doesn't matter where you cite the refinery. Whether in Lagos or Kaduna, there wouldn't be a flow of oil. So the idea about oil assets being potentially compromised as a reason for citing a refinery in the SW is a massive sinkhole. It is baseless. 

You are educated and you're informed, but some of your opinions are colored by bias instead of being rooted in verifiable facts. When talk about the Ogoni cleanup being stalled comes up, you'd be no where to be found. The moment we talk about heading back to the trenches to jolt the establishment to their senses, you'd emerge from your cocoon.

The militants don't care. I already said they can be bribed then they disappear. The Ogoni clean i havebt read much on it. Government and oil companies should clean it up. Last time I checked they found companies to start work.

The refinery citing does matter. Let's start with dangote refinery, the sources of oil aren't exclusive or dependant ND. As you know the ease of getting oil is dependant on where refinery is.

Today, the Dangote Refinery can process a wide range of crudes, such as all the African crudes including those of Algeria, Libya, Angola, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, the U.S. crudes, Arab Light, etc. Since we are not dependent on Nigerian crude, we are not prone to the risk of the Niger Delta disturbance. We do not use pipelines; rather, we use ships. We use Single Point Mooring Buoys (SPMs) for offloadingthe crude and loading the products.

3 Likes

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 9:32am On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

The militants don't care. I already said they can be bribed then they disappear. The Ogoni clean i havebt read much on it. Government and oil companies should clean it up. Last time I checked they found companies to start work.

The refinery citing does matter. Let's start with dangote refinery, the sources of oil aren't exclusive or dependant ND. As you know the ease of getting oil is dependant on where refinery is.

So you knew the sources of oil for Dangote's refinery are not exclusively Nigerian, and you were bringing up security like it was the huge elephant in the room?

As I said, REPEATEDLY, there are lots of reasons why it makes sense to establish a refinery and depot in the SW, none of which is security.

Certainly, it makes sense to cite a refinery in the SW when you intend to take in crude oil from other West African countries. So why on god's green earth did you bring up pipeline vandalism? When Dangote isn't putting all his eggs in the Nigerian basket?

Even if there was no pipeline vandalism, I wager to think that Dangote would have established a refinery in the SW anyway, because he knows the opportunity that new oil discoveries around WA presents. Many of these countries don't produce lots of oil to make it viable to have local oil refineries, so he's presenting himself as a viable option instead of shipping said crude half way around the world to be refined.

And about the militants not caring. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why none of the refineries and depots in the SS have been compromised even in the height of militancy? It makes zero sense for the militants to leave the safety of the creeks to go sabotage an installation in an urban area that'd have civilian casualties.

It's infinitely easier, safer, and logistically sound to simply locate an unguarded stretch of a trunk line be it onshore or offshore. It also has the most impact on the nation's finances. Which is the only thing that'd bring the government to the negotiation table.

No one would risk his life to go blow up a refinery in the heart of PH. To what end?

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Blue3k(m): 9:41am On Dec 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

So you knew the sources of oil for Dangote's refinery are not exclusively Nigerian, and you were bringing up security like it was the huge elephant in the room?

As I said, REPEATEDLY, there are lots of reasons why it makes sense to establish a refinery and depot in the SW, none of which is security.

And about the militants not caring. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why none of the refineries and depots in the SS have been compromised even in the height of militancy? It makes zero sense for the militants to leave the safety of the creeks to go sabotage an installation in an urban area that'd have civilian casualties.

It's infinitely easier, safer, and logistically sound to simply locate an unguarded stretch of a trunk line be it onshore or offshore. It also has the most impact on the nation's finances. Which is the only thing that'd bring the government to the negotiation table.

No one would risk his life to go blow up a refinery in the heart of PH. To what end?

-Lord

They choose not to use pipelines because they can be compromised. The article said so twice. Saying it's phantom threat ignores facts. Yeah they want to be paid off like I said nothing more. They know the people would turn against them if they end up harming them. This doesnt mean you care about public good you just don't want to harm image.

On the restiveness in the Niger Delta and crude supply

The original thought was that we had everything we needed in Nigeria, that is the crude oil. When we started analysis, we realised that it was highly risky to place all our eggs in one basket, by relying only on Nigerian crude.

1 Like

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 9:47am On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

They choose not to use pipelines because they can be compromised. The article said so twice. Saying it's phantom threat ignores facts. Yeah they want to be paid off like I said nothing more. They know the people would turn against them if they end up harming them. This doesnt mean you care about public good you just don't want to harm image.

So you effectively agree that citing in the SW is not because he is worried that his installations will be attacked, but because he knows he may not get as much oil as he needs?

You do know those two things are different right?

And more importantly, where did you pull your security excuse from?

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by Blue3k(m): 10:05am On Dec 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

So you effectively agree that citing in the SW is not because he is worried that his installations will be attacked, but because he knows he may not get as much oil as he needs?

You do know those two things are different right?

And more importantly, where did you pull your security excuse from?

-Lord

Again you think upstream not effected by your millitant buddies bombing downstream pipelines? The company doesn't need to be directly attacked. If all his inputs are at risk then there's issue. Petrolex probably wanted to avoid ND aswell. The only major difference between SS and SW is security. Then you have Lagos as the giant economy.

The fact they use ships, pipelines and made sure oil can be sourced multiple spots shows the risk. In the interview they specifically talked a out insecurity of ND. We already know about issue of ND begging for HQ's to return. SW offered better security and business environment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LordAdam16: 10:32am On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

Again you think upstream not effected by your millitant buddies bombing downstream pipelines? The company doesn't need to be directly attacked. If all his inputs are at risk then there's issue. Petrolex probably wanted to avoid ND aswell. The only major difference between SS and SW is security. Then you have Lagos as the giant economy.

The fact they use ships, pipelines and made sure oil can be sourced multiple spots shows the risk. In the interview they specifically talked a out insecurity of ND. We already know about issue of ND begging for HQ's to return. SW offered better security and business environment.

Militants don't bomb downstream pipelines. They bomb midstream pipelines. And refineries are in the downstream not upstream. Upstream is exclusively exploration and production.

The difference between SS and SW for refineries is not security and business environment. It's business environment and proximity to a wider market.

Before there was militancy, there was illegal bunkering and pipeline vandalism. In fact, every region where there's a downstream pipeline has pipeline vandalism. Just like people vandalize transmission cables and IT infrastructure. Because I remember vividly when the NSCDC busted vandals in Lagos who built a makeshift house over a downstream pipeline (transporting refined products) and were siphoning from it for years.

Dangote's and Adebutu's refineries would refine a combined approx 1m bpd. Nigeria's best ever production capacity was 2.2m bpd. Sure it may increase in the future to 3m bpd. But we have 4 state refineries that may soon be sold to improve productivity (and would inevitably be considered first since they're in the hinterland), and the government has also approved around a dozen refinery applications.

With the competition and instability, it would be silly for Dangote not to have a plan B which is to tap into the opportunities present in the wider WA crude oil market. When he completes it, it'd be the 7th largest refinery in the world by bpd. SEVENTH. He'd need to guarantee supply to and from it or he'd lose money, whether or not Nigeria has a stable midstream. It's common sense.

All of the top 10 largest refineries in the world are situated on a coast. Even in countries that produce oil like UAE, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, and the US. You can verify it. Which state has the most developed coastline in Nigeria?

All these facts are easily verifiable. But no you wouldn't stick to facts. You'd instead take the sentimental route.

-Lord
Re: Petrolex Mega Oil City To Ease Apapa Gridlock By 60% by LaudateII: 12:28pm On Dec 11, 2017
Blue3k:

You are right. The SS also has an extensive shoreline, and great access to the sea. Afterall, what are the major differences between the coastline of the SS and SW?? If Dangote had set up his refinery in the SS, he could still have imported crude from any part of the world, to use in his refinery. Dangote could have sited his refinery there, but chose not to. It still boils down to security and ease of doing business in each region. Security concerns definitely played a part in his consideration.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Foundation And UNDP To Empower Only Northern Nigerians? / Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users / NURTW: The Pains and Agony A Union Is Causing Nigerians - AutoReportNG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.