Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad (17380 Views)

Five Reasons Nigerians Choose To Study At The University Of Dundee / 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad-opinion / Can An Average Student Study Medicine And Surgery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nukilia: 8:04am On Dec 10, 2017
FrenchWay:

Good reasons op.
In as much as u raised salient points, I could feel a little hate in ur tone. What's ur own with people who went abroad to study Med?

Back to the topic... I believe u re ryt on the racism aspect. I can confirm that one. Its pathetic. An average racist white would not allow a black to touch him/her even at the point of death.

Just as our RACIST politicians won't allow themselves to be treated by doctors in their own country but prefer to die in the hands of their European SLAVE MASTERS grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by doyinbaby(f): 8:08am On Dec 10, 2017
When you study abroad you complete you study on time.......to study medicine in Nigeria you may waste time on account of AASU strike and health workers strke........it is better to study medicine in republic of Benin than to study medicine in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 10, 2017
EsotericMonk:

Right on the money, I see no reason for the shaming. Its really uncalled for. That's not to say some of the so-called medical schools in Eastern Europe aren't fit to train docs and should be blacklisted

Anyone with sense can be tell that his write up has a hateful and envious undertone. Last time I had a simple cannula inserted in my hand in a Nigerian hospital, my whole left fist was covered in scars, plus Nigerian medics lack the compassion and empathy to be carers. They are very mean, rude, nonchalant and corrupt.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by iluvpomo(m): 8:22am On Dec 10, 2017
This thread/OP really over generalizes and contains a lot of very shallow points. Quite surprising it made FP or maybe not, it is NL after all ... grin

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by IDEKEALUMONA(m): 8:30am On Dec 10, 2017
TWoods:
Who needs 3 reasons when there is just 1 major reason? Nigeria is a complete zoo and only a fool will stay in it when other opportunities are available.

If they left because Nigeria is a zoo,why did they have to come back to practise in the same zoo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 10, 2017
Bidobado:

Anyone with sense can be tell that his write up has a hateful and envious undertone. Last time I had a simple cannula inserted in my hand in a Nigerian hospital, my whole left fist was covered in scars, plus Nigerian medics lack the compassion and empathy to be carers. They are very mean, rude, nonchalant and corrupt.
Yeah I must admit that is one thing those trained in Western Europe have over us trained in Nigeria - compassion. Sadly, the system gives no room for such as aggression is usually transferred. IT OUGHT NOT TO BE but that's the sad reality of medical practise in Nigeria.
For some of us who try to show empathy, nurses and even patients see us as 'soft' and weak. That's the funny experience I encounter.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Edtcals96: 8:35am On Dec 10, 2017
I joined naria land forum today because of this doom personnel that bring up dis topic.. u re suffering from low self esteem..u think sch abroad allows cheating and blocking like Nigeria universities? Yes must of the Nigeria medical student and graduates block their way through the university.am in my room come and beat me. Go take a chilling peels ... frustrated anofia

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by yassinattah(m): 8:36am On Dec 10, 2017
Nukilia:

Just as our RACIST politicians won't allow themselves to be treated by doctors in their own country but prefer to die in the hands of their European SLAVE MASTERS grin
You are making sense and creating awareness. Keep it up

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by samsard(m): 8:40am On Dec 10, 2017
@OP acupicin, you are a big thief! this was written by facebook friend of mine who is a Doctor! You stole his writeup without giving him any credit, thief!!
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Mbediogu(m): 8:40am On Dec 10, 2017
acupikin:
cc:lalasticlala,seun help move to fp

I remember one such doctor when we were growing up at the teaching hospital. He did not observe the the L and R signs on an Xray. He and his fellow FMG , a urologist went in for nephrectomy on a Bulgarian woman married to a Nigerian and ended up excising the functional organ. Those days everything removed in the theatre was sent for histology. That was how it was found out. The patient had no chance and the two FMGs (one from Lagos, the other from Edo) left unceremoniously on their own. Re training is very important for suspect graduates in ALL PROFESSIONS especially in these days of 419 when even the dollar is being forged talk of certificates.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Edtcals96: 8:45am On Dec 10, 2017
Fool did I hear u say u can't do enough practical I. Abroad medical sch? Abroad medical sch u start ur practical at the hospital first yr second semester...motherfucker go get ur fact bfr u bring up nonsense topic here man! Hypocrite like u, said they gave u the opportunity to study medicine abroad u declined.. jealous , low self esteemed frustrated fish in human form . Ode in the highest form

2 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by oluwamitomisin: 8:45am On Dec 10, 2017
Guys, before bashing the OP, try to reason from his position.
I do agree with him on some points, especially number 2. I have net several people studying abroad who their only reason they left Nigeria was because they couldn't pass UTME. And God helping them they could move abroad....
When it comes to hands on training, these foreign countries limit their access and exposure, they definitely will lack behind. Nigeria isn't always bad, try change your perspective sometimes.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ramatintin(m): 8:50am On Dec 10, 2017
wiloy2k8:
they love to study medcine in Ukraine and India
still our people go for medical treatment in these so called India and Ukraine.
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ramatintin(m): 8:53am On Dec 10, 2017
op u are a bloody hell lair my bro started his practicals from his first year in the Ukraine.
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by yassinattah(m): 9:06am On Dec 10, 2017
Yes there was a bit of hate in the writers 2nd and 3rd point just as if the writer was whinging but when u look at it 4rm a holistic point of view he's correct to some extent,may I remind the writer that most of the so called Nigerian trained Doctors including me
-didn't have the opportunity to study abroad reason best known to an individual in question.
-The only way as @ then in 9ja was to score above 250 in jamb/Post UTME or remedials and make good grades in ur Waec be it through intelligencia or Crookery
-Or know sum1 that knows the VC,Registrar or lecturer as @ then.
-or by doctoring ur way rait 4rm the very beginning during childhood staying focussed
-After Entering is another ball game entirely because in a 9grian Universities,Medicine is like survival of the fittest as many were called few were chosen.
-landslide along the way is or if not always envisaged due to Strike by ASUU or repeat a whole year if u fail a class or victimisation.
-Then when u eventually become certified as a Doctor in 9ja,the pursuit for placement of housemanship is another tussle after which u obey the clarion call if u r <30yrs or try to secure a job.
-Really a 9grian Trained doctor isn't suppose to see the foreign trained doctor colleague as a fierce competitor or rival but instead a close ally that will expose and broaden his/her clinical horizon because @ d end of the day its the same salary the only difference is d@ u ll be awarded MBBS in ur certificate which is similar to MD and MBBCH in other countries.
Nairalanders what is the fuzz all about then.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ModestGal(f): 9:12am On Dec 10, 2017
am a medical aspirant. Am following
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by kurupt1: 9:19am On Dec 10, 2017
Its obvious the Op is one jealous muthafucker.....who tell ur papa make him be poor man no send you go abroad?The guys that trained abroad are trained more about medical care in the temperate areas while Nigerians are grounded in tropical medicine. So they tend to struggle to get the grasps of tropical medicine when they come back

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 10, 2017
oluwamitomisin:
Guys, before bashing the OP, try to reason from his position.
I do agree with him on some points, especially number 2. I have net several people studying abroad who their only reason they left Nigeria was because they couldn't pass UTME. And God helping them they could move abroad....
When it comes to hands on training, these foreign countries limit their access and exposure, they definitely will lack behind. Nigeria isn't always bad, try change your perspective sometimes.

UTME, I don't know about now, but most candidates cheat with their cell phones.

WACE, almost all private and public schools cheat.

when the system has lacked to maintain its integrity, what do you expect?

This one results in Nigeria producing future cheaters not leaders to continue their corrupt practices.

its true, no place like home, but my brother when you have the opportunity to attain quality education, go for the best.

this should never be s debate.

1 Like

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ModestGal(f): 9:25am On Dec 10, 2017
Any nice person in the thread,should tell me the conclusion please. am a medical student aspirant. I want the best
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by SmooshCHN: 9:37am On Dec 10, 2017
I clicked on this thread to see if there'll be any sane points someone else will come up with which may be different from the sheer hatred for Foreign Medical Student that has been expressed by the MDCN, the regular citizen like you and down to the senate..

All your points only showed how shallow, shameless and incompetent people like you think and the MDCN..

I'll start from here.

There are 3 reasons why Nigerians choose to study Medicine outside Nigeria

1. To be exposed to global standards in training and practice
It's good you know Nigeria isn't up to the global standard in medical practice or healthcare. While it's still a developing country, it totally makes sense that students will study abroad and definitely go for countries with better medical standards compared to Nigerias'

2. Because they couldn't secure admission into a Nigerian medical school

Medicine and Surgery requires higher cutoff marks compared to most courses.. First there is competition, corruption in the admisson system, candidates picking wrong school choices, being an indigene of a particular state (I got 272 in my Jamb, wrote post utme and got 70 when the cut off mark is 60 but i was offered ANIMAL SCIENCE.. Not even Microbiology. when those from the state who got 60 to 65 were offered Medicine and 66 to 70 were for those on Dean's or H.O.D's list . I was then told i'm supposed to settle some individuals to get my name on the admission list). This is what our Universities have turned into..

Getting admission isn't even by Merit anymore.. You need to know people that knows someone and pay to study for a course of your chioce. Meanwhile, the schools abroad require your SSCE certificate, accept BSc, TOEFL, etc and other academic qualifications and don't stress your life or waste your time. All they do is convert the results to their standard and yes!! Even Asain countries reject poor SSCE grades.
And

3. Because they think they can harass the rest of us with their tag of "abroad doctor"
Reasons 2 and 3 are shameful and desperate. Reason 1 will take them to countries like the US, Canada, and UK while reasons 2 & 3 will get them to Ukraine, Hungary, India, Bulgaria, UAE, Egypt, and even Sudan. I know about these destinations because I've personally interacted with medical graduates from there. We call them foreign medical graduates (FMG).

This is jealousy, pure inferiority complex and low self esteem speaking. You should've just said you feel intimidated by the so called "children of rich people" who can afford to study abroad. The problem is from you who already feel inferior. Those who attempted the exams were already tortured psychologically because they are "FMGs", they faced verbal harassment from the lecturers who are already filled with hate and jealousy.

Those nonsense you wrote about racism are pure lies just to buttress your empty points.. I have friends in Ukraine, China, Russia and they go for practical classes from first year, exposed to cadavers as early as first year, and go to hospitals, interact with patients (no treatments allowed because students are not licence doctors), allowed to diagnose patients (including taking patient's history and vital signs, performing physical examinations, discussing the signs and symptoms and treatments according to patient's case etc.) as early as 2nd year up till final year.. This is how it is done here in China. You can apply for license exam in these countries so far you observed your internship there and passed the license exam with proper working documents. So please stop the lies about not touching patients or getting to the theater room throughout medical school.

Where the problem lies is what foreign students actually study. The cases they deal with on a daily basis is totally different from Nigeria or Africa.. Most diseases they study are related to Cancer, Cardiovascular diseases, Intestinal and non communicable diseases compared to Africa or Nigeria where we have tropical diseases and communicable diseases.. This major difference is why the MDCN 4 month compulsory tutorial was set up (The one at Ilorin only lasted 3 months marred by poor organization from the tutorials down to the exam). They are supposed to be prepare that stage of transition for the Foreign Medical Students.. How do you expect people who studied a different system for 5/6yrs catch up to your system in 3 months? Are they robots? Even if they are, your constant expression of jealousy and hatred wouldn't even allow a fair ground. The failed transition process prove they are incompetent. Nigerian doctors who run to the UK fail PLAB on their first attempts as well. It doesn't mean they are incompetent.

There has to be a well structured platform for transition, well organized lessons (not the nonsense the MDCN organized at Ilorin), fair platform not inspired or filled with hatred and jealousy. No sane "children of rich people" in your language FMG seeking medical license will go about harrassing you with their tag. Organize a transparent system and if they fail, they fail.

Foreign Medical Students fail Licence Exams every time, everywhere in the world, some aren't academically sound enough and some are sound but lack a competent transition platform.. If Nigeria is satisfied with the Doctors they have, they can just scrap the MDCN program for FMGs instead of going about trying to ridicule them as if the country hasn't already failed it's own people.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 10, 2017
ModestGal:
Any nice person in the thread,should tell me the conclusion please. am a medical student aspirant. I want the best

If you are bright enough, write utme for a place in a Nigerian university. Some schools in Naija spend less than 6 years in medicine(strike or no strike) . They include: University of Ilorin, University of Nigeria Nsukka and Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. Others spend more than 7 years: Uniben, University of Uyo, Obafemi Awolowo University etc.

All you need to secure admission is have a jamb score above 290 and clear all your papers in waec with As and Bs.

If you know you won't be able to score high in utme, go abroad. The painful truth is that most of our guys that studied abroad couldn't get admission in a Nigerian medical school. Most not all.

I wish you all the best in your aspiration.
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ModestGal(f): 9:41am On Dec 10, 2017
following
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by SmooshCHN: 9:49am On Dec 10, 2017
Nyoyokomkpat:

If you are bright enough, write utme for a place in a Nigerian university. Some schools in Naija spend less than 6 years in medicine(strike or no strike) . They include: University of Ilorin, University of Nigeria Nsukka and Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. Others spend more than 7 years: Uniben, University of Uyo, Obafemi Awolowo University etc.

All you need to secure admission is have a jamb score above 290 and clear all your papers in waec with As and Bs.

If you know you won't be able to score high in utme, go abroad. The painful truth is that most of our guys that studied abroad couldn't get admission in a Nigerian medical school. Most not all.

I wish you all the best in your aspiration.
290?? Bruh!!! How many people who got 280 above have you seen? Sorry to bust your bubbles, I spent 3yrs of my life trying 3 of those schools you wrote up there.. Candidates as low as 250 were admitted based on who you know and how much you can pay. 40% was by merit even the other 60% is our najia way eve with the brains..
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by dokJ: 9:51am On Dec 10, 2017
Most medical drop outs here I know travel abroad esp to Ukraine n b4 u say Jack Robinson, they r certified... Seems any person can easily study medicine there even an imbecille. That's y if any Nigerian trained doc does well when dey eventually make it to Europe.
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 10, 2017
SmooshCHN:
290?? Bruh!!! How many people who got 280 above have you seen? Sorry to bust your bubbles, I spent 3yrs of my life trying 3 of those schools you wrote up there.. Candidates as low as 250 were admitted based on who you know and how much you can pay. 40% was by merit even the other 60% is our najia way eve with the brains..

Lol
I am one of them. And many of my friends.
There are years that jamb scores will low across board such that someone with 220 can be admitted.
About the merit part, you are not far from the truth.
Some schools do 60% based on merit, 10% based on educational less developed states, 10% catchment areas,10% to indigenes of the community and the other 10% to VCs people. It happens in the world over.
Their thinking is that you can't put someone from IMO state on the same level with someone from Benue state, though I have never been a fan of all thos non-merit shit though.

If your parents have money, go Afe babalola university and study medicine ohh. They are good. They won the south west Medical quiz beating Unilag, Uni Ibadan and Unilorin.
All the best
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ModestGal(f): 9:59am On Dec 10, 2017
SmooshCHN:
hope you finally gaint admission?
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by ModestGal(f): 10:01am On Dec 10, 2017
Nyoyokomkpat:

Lol
I am one of them. And many of my friends.
There are years that jamb scores will low across board such that someone with 220 can be admitted.
About the merit part, you are not far from the truth.
Some schools do 60% based on merit, 10% based on educational less developed states, 10% catchment areas,10% to indigenes of the community and the other 10% to VCs people. It happens in the world over.
Their thinking is that you can't put someone from IMO state on the same level with someone from Benue state, though I have never been a fan of all thos non-merit shit though.

If your parents have money, go Age babalola university and study medicine ohh. They are good. They won the south west Medical quiz beating Unilag, Uni Ibadan and Unilorin.
All the best
wow, i know soon, private universities will override even the federal universities in this country
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by acupikin: 10:04am On Dec 10, 2017
samsard:
@OP acupicin, you are a big thief! this was written by facebook friend of mine who is a Doctor! You stole his writeup without giving him any credit, thief!!
I didn't steal the credit is on my site,maybe I forgot to add his name on nairaland he is also my fb friend ,a very good one
Re: 3 Reasons Why Nigerians Choose To Study Medicine Abroad by SmooshCHN: 10:21am On Dec 10, 2017
ModestGal:

hope you finally gaint admission?
ModestGal:
Not gonna lie to you. It's tough if you study abroad and you want to pass the MDCN licence exam... If you decide to study abroad, take all 5yrs seriously especially the last two years and most importantly, start learning about Tropical diseases in Africa and diseases common to Africa not them cancer and all we do here.. Two out of 4 of my friends who studied here passed and two failed on their first attempt. The ones who passed had a really good experience with the 4 months tutorial organized by the MDCN in Kaduna and passed the exam. The other two were victims of the Ilorin saga. I don't need to start sharing details of the daily embarrassments they faced from the lecturers and Doctors, classes that were cancelled because there was no light and the stressful 3 months (instead of 4) they faced due to poor organization, expressed jealousy and bias up till the exam day where questions were suddenly changed (remember most of them 5yrs study background is different from Nigeria and they had to catch up in 3months).. That's failure even before writing exams.
It's much better if the state the license exam is Foreign student friendly like Kaduna, Edo etc. Don't let Nigeria decide your fate. The hatred is already a problem if you studied abroad.

I hope it won't be like this for those of us attempting in few years to come.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thread For 2019 JAMB Mock Exam / Seventy Percent Of Teachers In South-west Are Unqualified - TRCN / UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.