Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (916699 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ability247(m): 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2017
Ladson:
Good morning all
please I need your advice,because I am in between two decisions.
Base on future relevance and Job prospects, i would love to know which of the two courses is the best to pursue as Ms in US.
I have HND mechanical engineering- power and plant engineering. My project was development of mathematical model for a mini- robot arm for welding.
I did direct entry into uniben- chemical engineering.
my final year project was Numerical studies of Initial value problem for gluconic acid production using pseudonomas ovali. it's about simulation, numerical analysis application and mathematical modelling.
since my HND days I have developed interest in Energy especially alternative energy sources, my project in uniben has made me to start thinking about simulation,modelling and numerical analysis.
so the two specialization could be :
Doing an MS that focuses on alternative energy sources such as renewable energy source, energy systems.
or
process simulation, numerical analysis and mathematical modelling of complex systems as related to chemical engineering even energy systems inclusive.

I relate. My undergrad was chemical and MS is on mechanical.

You can do one first and do the other as PhD or a second masters. A numerical analysis-based degree can easily get you into any energy degree, and hone your math skills. While at it, you can then plan on how to fulfil the alternative energy aspect of your career mission. You may find out you can get fulfillment doing numerical analysis on alternative energy systems without getting a formal degree on energy systems. Or after your masters, you can get a scholarship for a PhD on energy systems and your math skills will make you shine there. Process simulation, however, is usually focused on industrial processes, reactors. Not exactly a solar and wind energy thing (the two hottest alt energy sources at the moment). Remember chemical engineering as a course was developed during the industrial revolution so as to provide knowledge for advancement. In this computer revolution age, a math degree would get you more returns going forward. So the numerical analysis part sounds good, then you can get another masters in energy systems, or a PhD if you love research and papers. I will not advice you to choose one and forget the other, if you feel strongly about both fields. You can have the two if you want.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ability247(m): 12:56pm On Dec 16, 2017
scaezar:
Okay. Ive posted my situation here sometime ago but there was no major response. I feel i should post again cuz interview date is nigh and mans nervous.

First, im 28. And im going for undergraduate BA fine art. I left high school in 2006. I went for bsc in local government administration in 2010, OAU. Finished in 2015. NYSC 2016 till April 2017. Im a full time portrait artist @scaezar on IG. But im selftaught but i want to start from the roots uno. I want to be a fineart student.

Im going to troy university. Gotten admission. Only toefl was needed. Got 91. 6k scholarship because of my WAEC result. Dad is sponsoring and im using his hotel's SOA.

Im not going to ask any question in particular. Can anybody just gimme pointers or advice? What do you think? If you were a VO, what would you think? Would you believe? Am i even asking y'all the right questions? EJHUR, E HELP MI

Someone said to use your dad's personal soa. That's good advice.

1. Why Troy University? U need to have a convincing answer for that.

2(a) What would this degree do for you? If you can already sketch well and you are pretty well known on social media, then why do you want to go spend 4 years or so basically starting from the scratch?

2(b) Why do you need an art degree?

3. How did you hear about the school?

Remember, you are to prove you are a genuine student, with home ties. Someone else also gave you questions to consider. You can answer them to the best of your ability and post them here so people can critique it.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by scaezar: 1:08pm On Dec 16, 2017
Wolexy1212:

The Scaezar I know is a brilliant and hardworking fine artist�. Sadly, the VO doesn't know this and you would need to engage in a convincing discussion why/what
1) you didn't pursue this degree in a Nigerian uni
2) this degree would offer you
3) you're going for another undergraduate degree
4) aren't you going for masters degree that relates to your last degree.
Answer all these questions and assess them if they're convincing enough to earn you your visa. I wish you good luck and God's favor.

Haha. Thanks for the kind words bro. Ill review these questions and work on answers to them. GOD BLESS SIR!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by scaezar: 1:10pm On Dec 16, 2017
Messibliss207:
the artiste himself! That wants to win our money on BOM. just go confidently and don't go with the hotel SOA. use your dad's personal SOA. I went for a second bachelor's degree and I got approval. You can do that too.

Lmao! Thank you! People are saying i should be disqualified already lol.anyways.. About the SOA, was gonna go with his certificate of ownership, then a photocopy of his passport. Thanks for your contribution!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
tomshach:
Morning House. Have being a quite follower of this forum since I was encourage to apply for American schools by my friend BigFrancis21 who has been a brother right from our undergraduate days at UNN.
My First Visa outing was on the 27th of Nov 2017 which ended with a delay for no reason. My transcript goes like this

Vo: why are you going to the US?
Me: am going for my master in cyber security. Then Vo cut in and said but your i20 says engineering
Me: yeah is a program in college of engineering. He now noded
Vo: how did you know abt d sch?
Me: I catalogue using google search engine and academic website such as Princeton review and usnews. Then I streamline my search to sch with teaching and research concentration in cyber security. Then I further narrow it down to umd cos it meets my ambition and goal in cyber security.
Vo: have you traveled out b4?
Me: no, I have never had reason to travel out before.
Vo: are you married?
Me: no am not married.
Vo: what will you be doing after this course
Me: I intend to return to Nigeria, use the knowledge and skilled acquired work for 5yrs the start up my own private cyber security firm. Always have dream of consulting for organizations and our security outfit in terms of cybersecurity
Vo: who is paying
Me: my elder brother,
Vo: what does he do
Me: he is the md/CEO of XYZ maritime services ltd. The company is into shipping, marine and logistic services. He then type for a while and said sorry we can't issue you visa this time around.
I was so devastated because I no I gave the preparation process my best shot.
I was like to hell with them am moving on but my friend encourage me that I should reapply. Which I did and am glad I did.
Fast forward to my new interview day which is 12th of December 2017 I try to modified my response trying to establish more home tie as their form 214b says.
This time around my visa was approve by the same VO who interviewed me last. I was told that you can't be interview by the same vo that denied you but in my case that protocol was broken. Fast forward to the interview, the protocol officer assigned me to window 1. Which was the window were the guy is though the previous interview he was in window 6. I objected I told the protocol guy am not going to that window and he asked why and I told he that vo was the guy that denied me visa the last time. The protocol guy insisted I must go to him that if he was the vo that denied me visa last he will send me back to him so he can reassign me to someone else. But to my amazement the fellow didn't turn me back. He collected my i20 and my passport type something in his computer and immediately raised his head up and looked at me with this look of like I was the one that denied you visa last?
He the proceed with the interview
The transcript goes like this
Vo: why are you going to the us
Me: to pursue my professional masters of Engr in cyber security
Vo: so tell me more about this course
Me: me is a program in the faculty of engr. The course will equip and enable me to be able to design, implement and analyzed an organizations security policy, the course will help me design, implement and deploy cyber security solutions for protecting an organizations info resources , it will enable me design and implement the appropriate incidence handling procedures in the event of security breach, it will enable me design and implement secure software, it will enable me analyse the cyber vulnerability of an organization network against cyber attack and it will help me in attend to clients with a more sense of responsibility.
Vo: tell me how many more sch you applied other than this one
Me: 2
Vo: name them
Me:Utelp and UCM
Vo: why umd
Me: of the 3sch I applied to, the cyber security program in umd is consistently ranked among the top 25 graduate engr program in the us by usnews nd world report. Umd is home to world renowned faculty members and working experts who participate in teaching the course and conducting research in leading edge technology. Also the cyber security program at umd merges engr applications to computer principles. Also the student to faculty ratio at umd is 17: 1 which is good for academic standard.
Vo: are u married
Me: no
Vo: who is sponsoring you
Me:my elder brother
Me: he owns a shipping company
Vo: why will a shipping company want to sponsor a cyber securist
Me: actually he is sponsoring me because he wants me to come back and take up job with him as a cyber security professional. Where I will be saddled with the responsibilities of securing and managing the company's online presence especially the logistic aspect and the marine service
Vo type for a short while and say this the around your visa is approved you will be communicated by mail when your visa is ready take this white paper to enable you during collection.
Me at this moment I went blank and even forgot my folder on his desk their I just collected my i20 and the white paper as I was about leaving the next guy called me back to collect my folder.

My Observations
if you are reapplying after any denial, pls try and be consistent with your response something happen that day. The guy that was interviewed b4 me had a previous denial.this time around he came up with different response and the vo guy nabbed him cos they have all the details of your previous response. Some of his flaws are like this
Vo: how many sch did you apply to
Guy: 3 sch,
Vo now say the last time you were here you told my colleague you applied to one sch. The guy was mute he couldn't respond in defence to his new response
Vo: who is sponsoring you
Guy: my father
Guy: he is into export and import bla bla bla
Vo now say the last you came you told my colleague your dad is a lawyer. Guy was quite again. Vo now say sorry you are not qualified this time around again.

To God be the glory

Congratulations

And also thanks for sharing your observation I actually learnt from it

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 1:41pm On Dec 16, 2017
I called the embassy already. I was told I can do it only once and My only chance is to keep checking the appointment if I can see any earlier date to reschedule, which seems impossible so far.

temitope2598:

You already wrote what you need to do. Do that and reapply for the emergency request.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dayoseun70: 1:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
grin grin... I have no relations with FUTA sir
Oh am I wrong, I saw a post of yours on the GRE thread. Sorry if I'm wrong. Please still id like to have a PM with you. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by gathanson(f): 3:40pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello, a response here please.

Thanks.

gathanson:
Hello house, please I want apply to beauty schools in the US to study cosmetology but was advised by someone that this particular course might not be legible enough to be considered by the Visa Officer. Please how legit is this statement? Should I pursue this or it's just a waste of time and resources.
Please advise. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by temitope2598: 4:07pm On Dec 16, 2017
jagaban17:
I called the embassy already. I was told I can do it only once and My only chance is to keep checking the appointment if I can see any earlier date to reschedule, which seems impossible so far.

Hi...Sorry about that!
I just checked now and I can see Dec 29 is still available.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by aamstih: 4:21pm On Dec 16, 2017
You did justice to that bro.

I don't know how I had the wrong notion, I had all along thought you weren't of a STEM background.

Are you in Texas?

Or did I get your moniker mixed-up?

Ability247:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Austinjeffy: 5:17pm On Dec 16, 2017
[left][/left] congratulations and good luck.
Adeish:

Congratulations

And also thanks for sharing your observation I actually learnt from it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by righturn: 5:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
bigfrancis21:

AP often means that you have been granted but your documents have to be verified first. If your documents are genuine, no worries you would be granted. A member of this thread, Sharles, had a similar experience last month or so - he was put under AP and after two weeks or so his visa was issued.

Visit this website to check on the status of your visa: https://ceac.state.gov It changes from 'AP' to 'Issued' once your visa has been approved and produced.

There is no need returning to the embassy. I doubt you would be granted entry into the embassy without an appointment anyway. All you need to do is wait for 1 week or 2 for your visa to be issued once your documents are valid.

Hope this helps.

thank you, yes it helps
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by righturn: 5:53pm On Dec 16, 2017
Eeffy:

That was on 14th of dec

okay, wish you the best too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ekiee: 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
Brothers, I got admitted to FIU, and visa approved, but I wasn't given funding, but as a hustling boy, I intend proceeding with the program, my questions. Goes thus
1, can I get a job at miami, that I can confidently save 3k a month, I have skills in painting and interior decorations
2, to people to FIU, I read my books well and get a high GPA, can this make me applicable for a TA,RA,GA or grants, as I really need this masters certificate,
Bros TWOOD, abeg don't start with me abeg, I'm just a Nigerian boy looking for greener pastures

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Eeffy: 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2017
[quote author=righturn post=63341169]

okay, wish you the best too[/quote
Amen. The issue was that u wasn't asked for any documents, apart from the one the vo took inside after some mins and returned to me. He took my statement of account and i20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2017
I was able To reschedule from 18th to 8th of January Just now (My last chance of rescheduling) .Tho class starts Jan 16th.

I think its better..Thanks for your response.

bigfrancis21:

You can't request an emergency date except you pay SEVIS fee first. It is written on the instructions page that you read before you apply. Learn to read and follow instructions, especially now that you intend entering the US or you could end up making very little but serious mistakes that can affect you.

Pay your SEVIS fee first, then try requesting the ED again (upload your I20 and SEVIS fee receipt), let's hope that they approve it this time (given that your ED request has been denied previously).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 7:23pm On Dec 16, 2017
If you want to reschedule appointment ,try to check this evening. Some earlier dates are there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 7:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
I missed it. Its gone. I saw 19th dec and 8th Jan ..Tho I chose 8th Jan,Which was my last chance of rescheduling. I didn't want to risk waiting to see another date.
temitope2598:

Hi...Sorry about that!
I just checked now and I can see Dec 29 is still available.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Messibliss207(f): 7:44pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello guys, please I need to know how genuine Cheapflight.com.ng is.... Anyone booked with them? I need to be sure cos I want to book right away. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tekecoms1(m): 7:44pm On Dec 16, 2017
December 29th is readily available now for anybody seeking for a closer date.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 7:55pm On Dec 16, 2017
ekiee:
Brothers, I got admitted to FIU, and visa approved, but I wasn't given funding, but as a hustling boy, I intend proceeding with the program, my questions. Goes thus
1, can I get a job at miami, that I can confidently save 3k a month, I have skills in painting and interior decorations
2, to people to FIU, I read my books well and get a high GPA, can this make me applicable for a TA,RA,GA or grants, as I really need this masters certificate,
Bros TWOOD, abeg don't start with me abeg, I'm just a Nigerian boy looking for greener pastures
This is why twoods hammers that you plan and not just waka go amelika cheesy cheesy cheesy
1. As an international Student, you're entitled to 20 hours per week of work, on Campus; Anything outside this is illegal, and may earn you persona non grata status by Department of Homeland Security. Most Jobs on campus are minimum wage. So, it is IMPOSSIBLE to save $3K a month from minimum wage campus jobs
2. FIU is a school whose total endowment is not enough to fund one Lab at MIT grin grin, so I highly doubt if they have scholarship packages. If you can get a Co-signer, there may be some loan packages you can obtain, but Federal Aid is off limits.
The only available option Right Now, Is to resume and immediately transfer to a dirt cheap community college ( it is fully legal to do so) and transfer your i-20. If you had some Mad ass coding skills, all these advise wouldn't have been necessary; just 3-4 freelance jobs would fetch you $4K +. grin grin grin. The life of an undocumented immigrant is a hard one sir

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2017
Painful. I wanted it, didn't see it when. I checked..Chose 8th Jan.
Tekecoms1:
December 29th is readily available now for anybody seeking for a closer date.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adesegun14: 8:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
hello Great nairalander.
I'm trying to reschedule my appointment which is 8th jan, 2018 to 29th dec,2017, but it came up with this message:

" If you cancel this appointment, then you will have exceeded the limit of appointments canceled, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid"

I have not cancelled any appointment since I booked the appointment. I don't know why this came up.
I'm reapplying and the school resumes on 10th Jan.
Anybody with any clue if there is something I can do? Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by aithusa: 9:02pm On Dec 16, 2017
adesegun14:
hello Great nairalander.
I'm trying to reschedule my appointment which is 8th jan, 2018 to 29th dec,2017, but it came up with this message:

" If you cancel this appointment, then you will have exceeded the limit of appointments canceled, and will not be able to schedule another appointment until another MRV fee has been paid"

I have not cancelled any appointment since I booked the appointment. I don't know why this came up.
I'm reapplying and the school resumes on 10th Jan.
Anybody with any clue if there is something I can do? Thank you
why not call their agent & ask if u can reschedule or send a mail to support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adesegun14: 9:15pm On Dec 16, 2017
aithusa:

why not call their agent & ask if u can reschedule or send a mail to support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com

Issue solved.
I did not cancelled, I just rescheduled straight, and it worked.
Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by k199192: 9:28pm On Dec 16, 2017
I got a mail from travel docs that my document has been collected from the embassy. Do I have to wait for a message from DHL before I go to their office to pick it up or do I just go and pick it it up. I really want to travel back to ph. money for hotel is almost finishing.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sirhamilton(m): 11:02pm On Dec 16, 2017
texrem:

Seen! Hit me up this weekend.
Done and waiting!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 4peace4: 11:25pm On Dec 16, 2017
@misspezz pls I sent u a pm it's urgent thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 16, 2017
k199192:
I got a mail from travel docs that my document has been collected from the embassy. Do I have to wait for a message from DHL before I go to their office to pick it up or do I just go and pick it it up. I really want to travel back to ph. money for hotel is almost finishing.
I think you will be given a call/text for ur pick up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ladson: 11:50pm On Dec 16, 2017
Thanks for your response

I Love the way you want me to blend the two together.
I used MATLAB for my project,I did the coding myself and I don't want the knowledge to be wasted.

I have not seen funding for research in energy systems, it's only on IT and computer science and engineering that I have seen people discussed here.

Please,do you have idea of schools that give funding for research in energy systems .

Will I be considered for admission for Ms that focuses on numerical analysis and simulations​. This is because it's computer science Dept of most institutions that offer programs related to my interest. And also considering prerequisites of some of the courses to be offered for the Ms.

You can do one first and do the other as PhD or a second masters. A numerical analysis-based degree can easily get you into any energy degree, and hone your math skills. While at it, you can then plan on how to fulfil the alternative energy aspect of your career mission. You may find out you can get fulfillment doing numerical analysis on alternative energy systems without getting a formal degree on energy systems. Or after your masters, you can get a scholarship for a PhD on energy systems and your math skills will make you shine there. Process simulation, however, is usually focused on industrial processes, reactors. Not exactly a solar and wind energy thing (the two hottest alt energy sources at the moment). Remember chemical engineering as a course was developed during the industrial revolution so as to provide knowledge for advancement. In this computer revolution age, a math degree would get you more returns going forward. So the numerical analysis part sounds good, then you can get another masters in energy systems, or a PhD if you love research and papers. I will not advice you to choose one and forget the other, if you feel strongly about both fields. You can have the two if you want. [/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by RoninSignals: 12:03am On Dec 17, 2017
I would be so glad if someone could share useful materials for GRE and TOEFL and some school that accept both for Msc accounting.
I had a low school in my last GRE n couldn't get admission . I would appreciate.
#lagosishome
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by electronic(m): 1:00am On Dec 17, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
This is why twoods hammers that you plan and not just waka go amelika cheesy cheesy cheesy
1. As an international Student, you're entitled to 20 hours per week of work, on Campus; Anything outside this is illegal, and may earn you persona non grata status by Department of Homeland Security. Most Jobs on campus are minimum wage. So, it is IMPOSSIBLE to save $3K a month from minimum wage campus jobs
2. FIU is a school whose total endowment is not enough to fund one Lab at MIT grin grin, so I highly doubt if they have scholarship packages. If you can get a Co-signer, there may be some loan packages you can obtain, but Federal Aid is off limits.
The only available option Right Now, Is to resume and immediately transfer to a dirt cheap community college ( it is fully legal to do so) and transfer your i-20. If you had some Mad ass coding skills, all these advise wouldn't have been necessary; just 3-4 freelance jobs would fetch you $4K +. grin grin grin. The life of an undocumented immigrant is a hard one sir

Well said Bro...Life is quite Hard if you are struggling to pay your fees...

Even with funding things here are tough...school is intense..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.