Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,727 members, 7,831,307 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (921859 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ajokeomopupa: 2:17pm On May 04, 2018
Hello house, can i book or check for available dates for interview while awaiting I-20?thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 2:31pm On May 04, 2018
@Joelbunmi2018 After posting all those stuff, what have you achieved by doing that? Because you disagree with someone's opinion does not mean you have to denigrate them. This kind of behavior is meant for kids and its sad this person might actually regard you as a friend.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Chiomlucy1: 3:24pm On May 04, 2018
nelronaldo:

Thank you very much! Please how reliable is ECE?

Very reliable,I used them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by yuscodguy(m): 3:37pm On May 04, 2018
Chidinho10:

He actually got some tit bits from a "friend" and added some lies to make it look interesting

I have nothing against him.
Absolutely!!!

I know his full name and his credentials
Any day he seeks my help in anything, I'll gladly help out

It's just an act of envy which is perfectly normal with humans

I wish him the very best in life and I hold nothing against him. cool

It won't stop me from having healthy conversations on this thread. Anywhere I feel I can contribute, I will.

Bro your contribution is okay, everyone knows what is good for him. They main thing is to get some little advice and add to what you have. Please i will urge you to stop replying him and focus on here. I hope you have secured your visa bro?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by CalebClinton: 3:40pm On May 04, 2018
@Chidinho10 and joelbunmi2018 pls enough of all this ranting, dis trend is not for envry or the likes rather to impacts lives...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 04, 2018
yuscodguy:

Bro your contribution is okay, everyone knows what is good for him. They main thing is to get some little advice and add to what you have. Please i will urge you to stop replying him and focus on here. I hope you have secured your visa bro?

Thanks fam

I haven't started the visa process yet. Will do so in the next few days.

cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ajokeomopupa: 3:42pm On May 04, 2018
ajokeomopupa:
Hello house, can i book or check for available dates for interview while awaiting I-20?thanks
Pls i need someone who knows better than me to answer me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by salo4resolute: 3:50pm On May 04, 2018
[quote author=justwise post=63156889][Vo..good morning
Me.. Morning sir
Vo how many school did u apply to
Me.. 2.
Vo.... Name them
Me.... Webster university and Lincoln university
Vo..... Wat happen to webster
Me... Am still expecting to hear from dem
Vo... Why these two schools
Me... because they r business schools, and I evidently seen the products of the school.who are my referrals
Vo.... Thousands of business schs in America?
Me... Yeah, but In a business submit I attended, I met with a colleague differently that discussed about these schools wit me, wic I got convinced to apply
Vo... Are u married
Me... Yes
Vo.... How many kids
Me... None but am expecting a child
Vo... When did u graduate
Me.... Since 2013
Vo.... What have u being doing ever since
Me ....doing buiz like real estate and movie distribution
Vo.... Where do u sell the movies
Me.... I have a sale outlet at oshodi, (but I think I should have let him know am not just a movie seller, but major distributor, and I also produce not just sell, so I need a social cultural experience on how to take nollywood movies across the globe) but didn't tell him all this
Vo.. Who is sponsoring u
Me.... My dad
Vo....have u traveled before?
Me.. No.
Vo..... Under section 2...blabla u r not eligible for vis
Me....thank u
The question now is Wat av I missedquote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by salo4resolute: 4:02pm On May 04, 2018
smartmachine:
visa granted pls share ur experience
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 04, 2018
[quote author=salo4resolute post=67278312][/quote]

@salo4resolute

1. The "why these schools" response no gel well

Talk about unique features of the school. What attracted you to it. Is their curriculum structured to meet your career goals? Do they have experiential programs you desire to undertake? Is their alumni network large enough in Nigeria to help you secure a job back home? Did they give you financial aid?

These are things you should talk about. Things unique about the business school that attracted your attention.

There are several business schools in the US. The VO just wants to know why exactly you chose this one (out of others)

2. What have you been doing since graduation?

VOs like seeing a normal progression in your pre-graduate school work experience. Maybe you should have tushed it a little better.

Like saying "I worked as a Sales Analyst for xxxxxxxxx company" or "I worked as a Real Estate Personnel for xxxxxxxxx company".

Saying you were doing biz like Real Estate and Movie Distribution didn't sound well in the VOs ears

Those are my observations. Other gurus can chip in a thing or two

Did you take GRE or GMAT? That may be asked in your next outing

Goodluck in your next trial

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 4:06pm On May 04, 2018
[quote author=salo4resolute post=67278312][/quote]

You missed everything like you asked... from why these schools ( your answer gave the VO reason to deny you ) to what have you been doing after graduation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by theamerican(f): 4:45pm On May 04, 2018
femi312:
Yes life comes with no guarantee but then again you have to be smart in life. I completely disgaree with the sentence in bold. You guys keep forgetting restrictions to get a job as a foreigner in the US and as such you have to stand out to be gainfully employed. Coming to the US to study typicall courses many Americans study is not a good idea. No matter how good you are at that course, 100 out of 100 companies will employ an American over a foreigner. This is not about looking down on anyone or course but coming to study social works, arts, psychology etc is not a smart move. Even the HIb law is about employing foreigners in specialization where they cant find no American. Getting a job is one thing, getting H1b appoved is another. Not everybody that gets picked at the Hib lottery will eventually be given the h1b visa at the end of the day due to not meeting certain criteria. This post does not apply to PRs or people who can find there way by getting PR through other means

This is exactly the mindset I criticized with my post. Saying you "disagree with the bolded" simply means you're saying having a creative arts/insurance background means you're sure to fail in the U.S if you don't change to Engineering, IT or Medicine. I will NEVER accept that. Changing to those things guarantee absolutely NOTHING! Again, not thinking outside the box is the reason people fail.

I'll simply remind you that at the time of VISA applications/interviews, everyone tells the VO they ONLY wanna go study and go back to their country. All the ideas about OPT/H1B visa etc plans after school (if we're strictly going by the book) ARE ILLEGAL. I'm sure you know that having/hiding an immigrant intent during a NON-IMMIGRANT visa application is illegal and that's already a reasonable ground for denial.

If you don't believe me, someone here should go for a visa interview and when asked why they chose the program/school, they should say: "because it's a STEM program, after graduation, good companies will hire me and I stand a better chance of getting H1B visa".

My point: people who sit on the moral high ground with the same IMMIGRANT INTENT, should not come here discouraging a section of people who wouldn't do things their way and encouraging others. There are other ways to become an immigrant and have a life in the U.S., it's not just for programmers/nurses/engineers and that's why I always say leave people to think outside the box and have a plan with their life.

Let's be consistent! If we wanna advise people to come here to study, let's do JUST that! Encourage them to study and go back to where they're coming from. If we wanna start advising people on how to achieve their American dreams (whatever the dreams are), let's level the playing field.

The American dream is NOT only for students on scholarship, first class graduates, engineering/IT/Medical majors. Anyone in life can be successful in anything they set their hearts on with good planning and a bit of luck.

23 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Scholastica16: 4:46pm On May 04, 2018
theamerican:
I have said it many times, the problem with Nigeria is not just with the corrupt politicians, but with the mindset of the average Nigerian citizen. Looking down on people/places/things in 2018? *sigh*

@thegrandchemist put it absolutely spot on!!! "KNOW THYSELF". Know your strengths and weaknesses, and plan your life according to them. If you have a background in creative arts or Insurance, don't let anyone fool you into thinking you'd be a complete failure here unless you switched to an engineering or nursing program. Life comes with NO guarantees.

Not everyone can score 320+ on their GRE or 110+ on TOEFL to get into top programs/schools. Don't look down on people who can't get into those programs and go to lesser known schools instead. As @Femi321 put it, the country has changed. Most of the employers now lose interest in hiring foreigners who need to be sponsored to get legal status to work. Going to study at the white house guarantees absolutely NOTHING.

Getting into top programs is great! I encourage people who have what it takes to shoot for them, but let's encourage others who cannot. A friend of mine went to a school no one knows about at age 32 and got a Bachelor's in finance. She works for Microsoft now and makes $120k+ per annum.
Another friend with a Nursing Masters degree makes so much less than her. They are both happy with their lives.

Other examples, a truck driver friend went to truck driving training for 8 weeks or so, job he got now pays him about $60k, CNAs (after 6 weeks of training) get jobs that pay $14+ per hour. Happiness in life is subjective, let's encourage people.

You have no idea how difficult it is for some people to even get into those schools you laugh at and the joy on their faces when they finally see the admission letters from them. Encourage people to believe in themselves and think outside the box.

It is unfortunate, I cannot like this post more than once.

16 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Scholastica16: 4:47pm On May 04, 2018
TheGrandChemist:
Having read all the brouhahas on which school(s) is/are the best and the size of the opportunities that awaits the grads of these supposed best schools, I will want to join my voice with the voices of all other strong believers of the words of Socrates:

" Man know thyself "

Make of that what you will.

If you know, you know.

grin. grin

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 4:51pm On May 04, 2018
ajokeomopupa:
just wait until you receive your i20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Scholastica16: 4:55pm On May 04, 2018
TheGrandChemist:
Well, it looks like a checkmate here.

cheesy cheesy

Omniknowest but refused to know himself.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by DeFavoured60(f): 4:56pm On May 04, 2018
theamerican:

You are one of a kind.....theamerican & Lagosismyhome gang cool.....knowledgeable and inspiring smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ThePianoGuy: 5:00pm On May 04, 2018
jolowizzy11:
hello house . I just got admission into alliant international university San Diego C.A ...project management bsc......i have a whopping six years gap ,hope is not a problem ? and it is how can I prepare for the question ? thanks all
it’s not a problem just explain what you have been doing for the past 6years to the VO
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 04, 2018
theamerican:

This is exactly the mindset I criticized with my post. Saying you "disagree with the bolded" simply means you're saying having a creative arts/insurance background means you're sure to fail in the U.S if you don't change to Engineering, IT or Medicine. I will NEVER accept that. Changing to those things guarantee absolutely NOTHING! Again, not thinking outside the box is the reason people fail.

I'll simply remind you that at the time of VISA applications/interviews, everyone tells the VO they ONLY wanna go study and go back to their country. All the ideas about OPT/H1B visa etc plans after school (if we're strictly going by the book) ARE ILLEGAL. I'm sure you know that having/hiding an immigrant intent during a NON-IMMIGRANT visa application is illegal and that's already a reasonable ground for denial.

If you don't believe me, someone here should go for a visa interview and when asked why they chose the program/school, they should say: "because it's a STEM program, after graduation, good companies will hire me and I stand a better chance of getting H1B visa".

My point: people who sit on the moral high ground with the same IMMIGRANT INTENT, should not come here discouraging a section of people who wouldn't do things their way and encouraging anothers. There are other ways to become an immigrant and have a life in the U.S., it's not just for programmers/nurses/engineers and that's why I always say leave people to think outside the box and have a plan with their life.

Let's be consistent! If we wanna advise people to come here to study, let's do JUST that! Encourage them to study and go back to where they're coming from. If we wanna start advising people on how to achieve their American dreams (whatever the dreams are), let's level the playing field.

The American dream is NOT only for students on scholarship, first class graduates, engineering/IT/Medical majors. Anyone in life can be successful in anything they set their hearts on with good planning and a bit of luck.

So on point

Nice analysis
I totally agree with you

Mind you, we aren't arguing here. We're just sharing ideas for everyone to pick points from

And you've made a nice analysis here
Kudos

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 04, 2018
Scholastica16:

Omniknowest but refused to know himself.

Hehehehehehehhehehehehehe
I'm bigger than somethings you know
Way way way bigger than some thrash
cool cool cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 5:20pm On May 04, 2018
theamerican:

[b]This is exactly the mindset I criticized with my post. Saying you "disagree with the bolded" simply means you're saying having a creative arts/insurance background means you're sure to fail in the U.S if you don't change to Engineering, IT or Medicine. I will NEVER accept that. Changing to those things guarantee absolutely NOTHING! Again, not thinking outside the box is the reason people fail.

My point: people who sit on the moral high ground with the same IMMIGRANT INTENT, should not come here discouraging a section of people who wouldn't do things their way and encouraging anothers. There are other ways to become an immigrant and have a life in the U.S., it's not just for programmers/nurses/engineers and that's why I always say leave people to think outside the box and have a plan with their life.
[/b]

To be honest I cant pinpoint exactly what your point was. 1) The bolded is just like beating around the bush without actually making any point. I cant see the importance of this to this discourse 2) You keep saying people are discouraging people since forever but I think you really need to calm down to really understand what was written. Saying people should think twice about courses to study because some courses seem to have more opportunity than others is not discouragement but an advice. The honest truth is most people will stay back to work and very few will go back home, advising people to do proper planning about what to study is not discouragement. People need to know the reality of things on ground and people like you sugar coating this wont really be of any good to them. You cant want to stay back and not look for ways the law will benefit you like H1b etc. Does this law favor INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS in arts? mba? psychology? No! so what exactly is your point? by the way I guess you missed this at the back of my post 'This post does not apply to PRs or people who can find there way by getting PR through other means'. Next time calm down and read

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by theamerican(f): 5:40pm On May 04, 2018
@Femi321 I'll let the matter slide. The first thing when giving a counter-argument is to understand the point of the original argument. As you have stated that you didn't understand the point I tried to make in what I wrote, I'll let it go. smiley

We've both made our points known. You're saying going for STEM courses would help someone's odds of achieving the American dream, and that's good. I'm saying people who can't go that path shouldn't beat themselves up and think they'd never succeed here, that's all.

Like you asked, "does THIS law favor students in those disciplines?". You're right, it may not favor them. I'm sure you know there are other laws that could favor them and this is where thinking OUTSIDE the box comes into play.

Thank you. smiley

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.