Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915789 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by doublezero7(m): 9:11pm On May 28, 2018
walex57:
Here Is my transcript 6 years ago. For you all to read maybe it can encourage a person or two. Sorry this was all typed on a mobile phone 6 years ago so abeg make una manage the thing grin

me: good morning (fake smile)
vo: good morning (faking smile it as well) , pass me ur docs
vo: (typing and checking some tins for a while) hummm....so what school are u going to and course?
Me: california state university sacramento, mechanical engineering
vo: why dis school?
Me: this was the school dat offered me admission in the area of my interests amongst d other schools i applied to and owning to d fact that they have good facilities as well as a good research environment but majorly because i was offered admission there...
Vo: so what benefits do ur course have in nigeria
Me: well...(listed some manufacturing coys in naija) and said with the developing economy of my country need for expertise and professionalism is highly needed.
Vo: hummm....so what other schools did u apply to
me: london school of commerce uk and d national power training institute of nigeria.
vo: so did u get admits there also?
Me: yes at both schools
vo: so why didn't u go to the uk, do they not offer manufacturing there? (i'll be majoring in manufacturing)
Me: the school in uk offered me masters in information technology and the one here offered me a graduate skills prog in the power sector here nd also manufacturing was what i majored in during my undergraduate studies
vo: so what school did u graduate from
me: university of ilorin
vo: so what have u been doing since u left school
me: i went for my nysc and den started working at a civil/mechanical engineeering coy
vo: so how much was ur salary, do u have payslips (me wey no dey earn shishi wey still dey hunt for job)
me: i wasn't collecting salary as i was there to gain experience pending wen admission into the schls i applied to pulls through.
Vo: so what were ur functions at ur work
me: was involved in repairs and maintenance of earth moving equipment and generators majorly earth moving equipment and we also consult for other coys by maintaining their machine and moreover the coy is owned by my dad
vo: oh...so ur dad will be paying for your tuition and living expenses
me: no....my mum
vo: ohhhh...ur mum....what does ur mum do
me: she's a legal practitioner and property consultant
vo: so does ur mum have personal property
me: yeah (final smackdown!) and we also have family property
vo: (wrote something like a small code on my ds-160 and tore d green ticket for me and also gave me the white paper and said ur visa will be ready on friday...blah blah blah........
Me: thank you

note: try to demonstrate while talking, it shows sign of confidence, i wasn't even asked to show a single document or bank statement or toefl or gre scores.

This is very nice. You did very well. smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 9:18pm On May 28, 2018
walex57:

My oga Hafa, you still dey here. Nice job Bro

Hey. How are you.

I'm here again because this is my off season..... you know grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by uchechukwu007(m): 9:33pm On May 28, 2018
odimbannamdi:

This was really extensive and insightful reply. Even though my case isn't same as the OP, i learnt a lot all the same. I would also appreciate your useful explanation on my situation.

I studied Microbiology (3.4 CGP), graduated in 2012 and finished service in 2014. My low grade (which was largely due to entering the university at a very young age), notwithstanding, i am well grounded in microbiology, especially the medical aspect and I had passionate intentions to tow the medical/clinical microbiology line, but getting a job in that field was very difficult as employers preferred Medical Lab scientists to Microbiologists.

So, I became more open minded in my search for a job, resolving to make a lemonade out of whatever lemon life threw at me. In early 2016, i landed a contract job with a global Power Generating firm and since then, i have built competencies and developed experience in business operations at the corporate/organized level. By the side, i am an entrepreneur, operating an e-commerce venture

With almost 3 years experience and cognate skills under my belt, i think it is now time for me to further my education. I am torn between the options of either going for an MBA degree or an M.Sc degree that is related to my course of study. I fancy an MBA degree because, apart from the obvious fact that it is more related to my current ventures, i believe it will afford me more expertise, exposure and network, not mentioning increased chances of being employed in good organizations; But then i have a Microbiology degree and one would expect i further in that field. Both fields appeal to me and i know i will excel effortless in either of them, but then i crave the experienced advise of folks here especially as regards career prospects and solidification of my visa application.

Also, i am keen on a foreign degree and topping my list are US, Canada and Germany. But then, my considerations are affordability (i have mapped out 4m for this venture) and chances of working alongside schooling to sustain myself while schooling. I presently have Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada, in view, especially because of their low tuition fees. But then, i will appreciate more advise for experienced people here.

Thanks guys

CC: Justwise
Lagosismyhome
Twoods
Nogen
Theamerican

Following
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by odimbannamdi(m): 10:09pm On May 28, 2018
walex57:
Here Is my transcript 6 years ago. For you all to read maybe it can encourage a person or two. Sorry this was all typed on a mobile phone 6 years ago so abeg make una manage the thing grin

me: good morning (fake smile)
vo: good morning (faking smile it as well) , pass me ur docs
vo: (typing and checking some tins for a while) hummm....so what school are u going to and course?
Me: california state university sacramento, mechanical engineering
vo: why dis school?
Me: this was the school dat offered me admission in the area of my interests amongst d other schools i applied to and owning to d fact that they have good facilities as well as a good research environment but majorly because i was offered admission there...
Vo: so what benefits do ur course have in nigeria
Me: well...(listed some manufacturing coys in naija) and said with the developing economy of my country need for expertise and professionalism is highly needed.
Vo: hummm....so what other schools did u apply to
me: london school of commerce uk and d national power training institute of nigeria.
vo: so did u get admits there also?
Me: yes at both schools
vo: so why didn't u go to the uk, do they not offer manufacturing there? (i'll be majoring in manufacturing)
Me: the school in uk offered me masters in information technology and the one here offered me a graduate skills prog in the power sector here nd also manufacturing was what i majored in during my undergraduate studies
vo: so what school did u graduate from
me: university of ilorin
vo: so what have u been doing since u left school
me: i went for my nysc and den started working at a civil/mechanical engineeering coy
vo: so how much was ur salary, do u have payslips (me wey no dey earn shishi wey still dey hunt for job)
me: i wasn't collecting salary as i was there to gain experience pending wen admission into the schls i applied to pulls through.
Vo: so what were ur functions at ur work
me: was involved in repairs and maintenance of earth moving equipment and generators majorly earth moving equipment and we also consult for other coys by maintaining their machine and moreover the coy is owned by my dad
vo: oh...so ur dad will be paying for your tuition and living expenses
me: no....my mum
vo: ohhhh...ur mum....what does ur mum do
me: she's a legal practitioner and property consultant
vo: so does ur mum have personal property
me: yeah (final smackdown!) and we also have family property
vo: (wrote something like a small code on my ds-160 and tore d green ticket for me and also gave me the white paper and said ur visa will be ready on friday...blah blah blah........
Me: thank you

note: try to demonstrate while talking, it shows sign of confidence, i wasn't even asked to show a single document or bank statement or toefl or gre scores.

This was really insightful. I just hope God will grant us all our heart desires, especially now that the rules are more stringent

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by MrPresident1: 10:19pm On May 28, 2018
odimbannamdi:

This was really insightful. I just hope God will grant us all our heart desires, especially now that the rules are more stringent

Nnamdi you wan go heaven grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by odimbannamdi(m): 10:29pm On May 28, 2018
femi312:
Your low undergraduate should not deter you from chasing your dream. I have some friends with 3rd class grade in Engineering and they have gone ahead to obtain a masters degree in the US and doing fine now. Give it a trial and do your part, If you fight you might win but if you don't fight you have lost already. However, I am not a proponent of doing MBA in a low ranked or no ranking at all school. You wont know the effect until you graduate and you start looking for job. I know some international MBA graduates from some schools I never even knew exist still looking for job or doing other stuff not related to MBA because they cant get a job. If you were an American, it might be different. This is just for you to weigh your options. Additionally MBA is very expensive in the US without some kind of funding, so you might want to consider Canada also. You can also research on good schools in the US and see if you can ace the GMAT/GRE well to stand a better chance

Thanks for your comment, sir. I understand your skepticism. I think i will also research on MUN's standing/ranking and how much advantage being an MBA graduate from the school will afford me.

Do you know if one could be offered fundings based on excellent GMAT score?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by odimbannamdi(m): 10:31pm On May 28, 2018
MrPresident1:

Nnamdi you wan go heaven grin
This man...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ayopaul84(m): 10:54pm On May 28, 2018
Well, I guess there was a mix up somewhere.
My post, 'Anyone with any useful info...' was sent before your response. Your second response which i responded to with a 'Thank you bro' put a rest to the query. So spamming the thread? I don't get that.
I'm sorry I don't see any need for this post.
Thanks

learner007:

He is a doubting Thomas, let him keep spamming the thread. I clearly answered his question but he wants a useful answer. Best of luck to him
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ayopaul84(m): 11:08pm On May 28, 2018
Well, I think that's the reason for creating the platform grin
I sure will bro. Few days to go! Hope you are good. Regards.

Time2Smile:

Always eager to get help from the forum. I hope you will give back and post your visa interview transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by nelronaldo(m): 11:25pm On May 28, 2018
Chiomlucy1:

Very reliable,I used them.
Please as regards ECE, kindly respond to my PM.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by whyqueu(m): 11:38pm On May 28, 2018
note: try to demonstrate while talking, it shows sign of confidence, i wasn't even asked to show a single document or bank statement or toefl or gre score

is this above true ? during interview ?

theamerican
femi312
twoods
sorelee

et al.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sammietos(m): 12:23am On May 29, 2018
Thanks you have been able to break it down to the minutest detail. I hope I can keep in touch with you as I continue the process?

Once again, thanks.

femi312:
imperiouxx and oludare01 might able to give you more insight on clinical chemistry schools after you have put in some work. However, this website is a good place to start to give you a general application and funding information, http://graddecision.org/ So step 1) Decide on the course you want to study 2) Search for schools using a)
www.msinus.com (b) www.gradschools.com c) www.google.com (you can just type 'msc in bla bla in the us in google' d) www.usnews.com e)
www.4icu.org . 3) check up the website of the schools you find, to see the requirements. most schools will require GRE and some will require both gre and toefl . 4) Register for standardize exam and take it. You can register for gre as soon as you are ready and prepared to take the exam. Its done online at www.ets.org. You can also get all the information you need about the exam on the website. You will get adequate materials to prepare for the exam in this dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t9ot6d07hp1lkm7/AADL_dTihjEvNBRCBsmAcoXja?dl=0

As for the Tuition, if you have good profile (GRE, GPA, Toefl), SOP and LOR; US schools do offer assistanship to graduate students. This can either be Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Administrative Assistant. Depending on the school, if you get an assistantship, your Tuition will be waived and you will also be paid a monthly stipend that can take care of your living expenses. One advice, once you shortlist schools, send emails to the grad cord of the schools and ask specific questions relating to that course and funding opportunities, be very explicit. With your first class, you have a VERY good chance of getting a full assistantantship in a good school. Just make sure you ace your GRE, > 315 is a very good score to complement your GPA

Lastly, there are basically 2 admission session in the US, Spring (Jan) and Fall (August). Schools admit more students in Fall, so Its advisable you plan towards Fall 2019. If you plan to resume in fall 2019, make sure you submit all your application documents before ending of Dec 2018. If you don't give it a trial, you will never know. Always do your part, with that your don't get to regret later. Above all, if you believe in God,pray to him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 1:12am On May 29, 2018
whyqueu:
note: try to demonstrate while talking, it shows sign of confidence, i wasn't even asked to show a single document or bank statement or toefl or gre score

theamerican
femi312
twoods
sorelee

et al.....

Do you want to stand like a mannequin? And Yes, true. cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Joshtrix(m): 6:20am On May 29, 2018
Please I want to ask if I can still apply for an expidited interview even if the initial date given is a month earlier than my resumption date ? Thanks �
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by learner007(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2018
ayopaul84:
Well, I guess there was a mix up somewhere.
My post, 'Anyone with any useful info...' was sent before your response. Your second response which i responded to with a 'Thank you bro' put a rest to the query. So spamming the thread? I don't get that.
I'm sorry I don't see any need for this post.
Thanks

Now I see. I'm really sorry. Please accept my apologies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:59am On May 29, 2018
whyqueu:

et al.....

What works for A might not work for B ..... so it 50/50 . That been said you want to sound alive, confident and upbeat as it really an interview that you are selling yourself

If you want to demonstrate, as with all things do it in moderation. Don't go using all your hands and almost poking the VO eyes because u are explaining one thing ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dan5loriel: 7:52am On May 29, 2018
This part got me demonstrate, as with all things do it in moderation. Don't go using all your hands and almost poking the VO eyes because u are explaining one thing ooo Lmao

LagosismyHome:

What works for A might not work for B ..... so it 50/50 . That been said you want to sound alive, confident and upbeat as it really an interview that you are selling yourself

If you want to demonstrate, as with all things do it in moderation. Don't go using all your hands and almost poking the VO eyes because u are explaining one thing ooo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sirleo004(m): 9:53am On May 29, 2018
Good morning house, I'm new here. pls I need clarifications on an issue. After paying the visa fees. Is it compulsory an interview is scheduled immediately?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by crownchi1: 10:38am On May 29, 2018
Hi guys so i just got a 2 year B1/B2 visa. How best can i maximize it. I really need to know.
Looking forward to your feedbacks

Crownchi
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by adedoja99: 10:54am On May 29, 2018
yemiosinbajo:

Are you going for undergrad?

Morehouse is a liberal arts college that focuses on undergraduate education only smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ezenwa28: 11:02am On May 29, 2018
How are you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by olukoredejay: 11:03am On May 29, 2018
Good morning house, please is University of Arkansas, Little rock a red flag for MBA? How's is the city and life there like?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Topweez(m): 2:08pm On May 29, 2018
Sirleo004:
Good morning house, I'm new here. pls I need clarifications on an issue. After paying the visa fees. Is it compulsory an interview is scheduled immediately?
No o nt immediately.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:59pm On May 29, 2018
olukoredejay:
Good morning house, please is University of Arkansas, Little rock a red flag for MBA? How's is the city and life there like?

Since you did not specify what you meant by red flag, I'll assume you're talking about getting visa and getting jobs

UALR is a well known school. A couple of people here have gotten visas for the school. So I don't think it will pose a problem at the embassy for your interview especially if you have some financial aid from them. So, it isn't a red flag in terms of getting an F1 visa.

If working in a managerial position at a top company is your goal, the probability of getting there with an MBA from UALR is very slim. So it's a red flag on the job market.

Other gurus can throw more eight on the city and life there as I have no idea

Goodluck!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ezenwa28: 4:14pm On May 29, 2018
Hello house, please my wife has a HND in computer science, Is there any possibility for her to apply for nursing program in US what will be the requirements . Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 4:21pm On May 29, 2018
ezenwa28:
Hello house, please my wife has a HND in computer science, Is there any possibility for her to apply for nursing program in US what will be the requirements . Thank you

Computer science to nursing grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by theamerican(f): 4:24pm On May 29, 2018
Chidinho10:

If working in a managerial position at a top company is your goal, the probability of getting there with an MBA from UALR is very slim. So it's a red flag on the job market.

I'm struggling with this. Please explain, I really wanna know. What did you know about the MBA program at UALR prior to making this statement?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 4:35pm On May 29, 2018
ezenwa28:

No. Her profile screams “intending immigrant”.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 4:38pm On May 29, 2018
theamerican:

I'm struggling with this. Please explain, I really wanna know. What did you know about the MBA program at UALR prior to making this statement?

People spend hundreds of thousands to do an mba at Harvard, UPenn etc. for a reason. Aside from the prestige, you are almost likely guaranteed a top paying job after school. Can you say the same for an mba from UALR?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:57pm On May 29, 2018
Chidinho10:

Since you did not specify what you meant by red flag, I'll assume you're talking about getting visa and getting jobs

UALR is a well known school. A couple of people here have gotten visas for the school. So I don't think it will pose a problem at the embassy for your interview especially if you have some financial aid from them. So, it isn't a red flag in terms of getting an F1 visa.

Other gurus can throw more eight on the city and life there as I have no idea

Goodluck!!

red flag on the job market .......

Yes it important to go to a good MBA program especially if you need H1B , i am all for it but a school doesn't always determine success in life .There are many managers who dont even have a degree and work their way up . Similarly you can enter an MBA program , but enter at an entry level position and work your way up . Nobody can really predict what the Job market looks like . Even the school recruitment officer can not predict how the market will go one year from another

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 29, 2018
LagosismyHome:

red flag on the job market ....... Here you go again with this nonsense .

Yes it important to go to a good MBA program especially if you need H1B , i am all for it but a school doesn't always determine success in life .There are many managers who dont even have a degree and work their way up . Similarly you can enter an MBA program , but enter at an entry level position and work your way up . Nobody can really predict what the Job market looks like . Even the school recruitment officer can not predict how the market will go one year from another

1. "Very slim" was my statement. I didn't say it is impossible. When you run the stats and check placement records, you'll discover that career outcomes at top MBAs are better than that of UALR. No matter how we drag this talk, it won't still change the fact that getting a top top paying job post-MBA FOR INTERNATIONAL students is sensitive to ranking and alumni network. Even on MBA forums like GMATclub, the hard rule for international students is not to go beyond the top 40 mark for MBAs in the US.

So if the poster wants to work in a top top company especially in the best finance and consulting firms, UALR may not be the best choice because it is not a target school.

2. MBA is a mid-career degree, not a degree for entry level positions. It is often advised that people do it after a few years of working if they want to get the best out of the degree. That explains why most schools require a few years of experience before entering an MBA degree. I won't advise anyone to use an MBA for entry level positions.

Shalom!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by nwendujudy: 5:44pm On May 29, 2018
Hello all. Good day. Please i need help. I was denied visa sometime this month and I have made up my mind to forget about this fall and go for spring 2019 admission. One of the schools I want to apply to just replied my mail informing me I can resume this fall,the school is of top rank too. I have all documents handy but my fear is *getting an appointment between now and June or first week of July latest* . Please who have been denied this period that wanted/want to reapply? Any success with the reapplication? I wouldn't want to be asked to pay another seat deposit to secure a deferral into Spring session next year. I just wish to know if I can secure another appointment for Fall by first week of June. Is there anyway I can check? I need answers please. Thanks everyone

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.