Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (913326 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by imperiouxx(m): 9:47am On Dec 30, 2017
OluDare01:

Thanks for this. I've heard from gurus here and things like this are very helpful as no one is an island of knowledge. I am an analytical chemist and what I do is separation science and environmental fingerprinting; basically using chromatography and mass spectrometry to detect environmental pollutants. My interest is not limited to this because I can also work as a QC chemist in pharmaceutical industries but I fancy my chances as a lab analyst in a food, drug amd envirinmental analysis laboratory.
On applying early, how early should one apply? I've heard different opinions about this.
Also, the main challenge as we all know is visa sponsorship. How can one navigate this puting into consideration OPT work authorization? Thanks.

From our last discussion early this year, you should start applying early in your last semester. Some jobs would look at your location and how much you have left in school. This is the time you should start your post opt application too. Dont forget that it takes about 3 months to get the work authorization and a semester is about 4 months. Visa sponsorship for a Chemistry job is rare. Your best bet is to get job in a research institute and see if they can retain you after your opt. All the best!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 9:48am On Dec 30, 2017
kidUrbane:
Dear House,
Please help me answer this question. Is it a red flag to apply for a us visa to pursue my masters degree without going for NYSC? I’ll be graduating next year but I don’t think I want to go for the NYSC. Will this affect or have any effect on my visa application?
no sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Johnolukolade(m): 9:56am On Dec 30, 2017
No, NYSC isn't a requirement for admissions, neither is it for visa issuance. I wish you luck.

kidUrbane:
Dear House,
Please help me answer this question. Is it a red flag to apply for a us visa to pursue my masters degree without going for NYSC? I’ll be graduating next year but I don’t think I want to go for the NYSC. Will this affect or have any effect on my visa application?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Joan011: 10:04am On Dec 30, 2017
Good morning, NL family, fall '18 members get ready ooo the torch has been handed to us Happy New Year in advance to all of you.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Senate111: 10:10am On Dec 30, 2017
Just sent you a PM. Or email me @ datelineltd@gmail.com

Pearl93:

Hello. I am also going to Texas A and M commerce. Congratulations on getting the Visa. We should hook up
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kidUrbane: 10:28am On Dec 30, 2017
@John Olukolade @Ponpon thanks for the response. God bless.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by gbollytee(m): 10:32am On Dec 30, 2017
please i need accommodation in Connecticut o. Who can help?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 10:44am On Dec 30, 2017
Hello everyone,I want to start my university education in the US.I just want to start all my preparations from the scratch.I will like to know the budget so as to prepare my parents starting from now on.These are my questions:
1.How much is the amount of money that I will need to start my preparations from the begining in Nigeria?
2.Apart from the tution fees,how much will I need in US for my upkeep,bills,accommodation and taxes,e.t.c for a year?
Thanks in advance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:00am On Dec 30, 2017
Albertone:
Hello everyone,I want to start my university education in the US.I just want to start all my preparations from the scratch.I will like to know the budget so as to prepare my parents starting from now on.These are my questions:
1.How much is the amount of money that I will need to start my preparations from the begining in Nigeria?
2.Apart from the tution fees,how much will I need in US for my upkeep,bills,accommodation and taxes,e.t.c for a year?
Thanks in advance.
Undergrad or Post Grad

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 11:06am On Dec 30, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
Undergrad or Post Grad
undergraduate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bushlance(m): 11:12am On Dec 30, 2017
Ezeigbo1ofImo
Twoods
Lagos
Is my home
Please can y'all share your thoughts on my earlier post.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:27am On Dec 30, 2017
Albertone:
undergraduate.
Ah!.. undergrad, The real cash cow for over paid university administrators cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Unlike Nigeria, sir, there is no uniform cost for undergraduate education across the vastness of the american space , Tuition and Living conditions will vary according to the school type.
1) For Profit Private Universities charge Insanely High amount for tuition (>=$40,000 per semester). These universities aren't worth it in most cases due to their lax admission process and unworthiness of their certificate (Let no one deceive you, school matters in great ole murica)
2) Not So great Private Universities - These universities aren't really for profit , and a lot of people on this thread routinely apply to them. But, take heed, their tuition can also be insanely expensive(>=$30,000 per semester,) ,and the degree may not be worth much after you're done. This universities cater mainly to Inner city and not so middle class Americans who have public education out of their reach. These universities also have lax admission. process ( so this may save you from SAT, TOEFL etc wahala)
3) The good and semi-good Private universities - Now these Universities are great in the value they give, and they receive some sort of federal funding and have nice large endowment, hence , even though their tuition is on the high side (>=$20,000 per semester) , There are opportunity for tuition waivers and GPA based scholarships
4) PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES!!- Public Universities are the darlings of any right thinking immigrant. the opportunity for Low tuition, Great ranking ,Great social scene, and closeness to that sweet federal $$ , makes it just right for someone like you. Albeit the admission process is fierce and rigorous as you would be competing with people from literally everywhere (SAT scores ,TOEFL, Transcript, LOR etc would be compulsory). Tuition could range from ($8,000-$25,000)
Asides tuition, Living expenses really depend in where you are, a sleepy college town somewhere in the mid west would be a lot cheaper than a college In a Urban North Eastern City.

BOTTOM LINE : Undergraduate studies in America is insanely expensive , and should not be undertaken by the financially handicapped ; Too many stories of out of status, and incessant transfers to community colleges have become the Norm. If possible, Go to a nice private school like Covenant University in Nigeria, get good grades and then come for Graduate studies, which is a whole lot pocket friendly. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:36am On Dec 30, 2017
bushlance:
Visa delayed today.
Vo : Why are you gong to the US
Me: I am going for a master in Project Management at Morgan state university.
Vo: What do you do?
Me : I am a GIS Technician with XYZ
vo: GIS?
Me : Geographical information systems technician
Vo : what do you do?
Me: (stammered here) I interpret maps and GIS data for clients, I also make diagrammatic representation of field data on paper.
Vo: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3 and I named them.
Vo : Did all these schools give you admission
Me : yes
Vo: so why Morgan
Me: Morgan offers an interdisciplinary course for professionals who wish to grow in their career, In addition to this masters I will bag 2 professional certifications ( I named them) after my program.
Vo: So the others schools don't offer those certifications ?
Me: Yes they don't.
1: You applied to all three schools knowing fully well that one only offered what you really wanted didn't sell to well to our dear VO,other tangible things like research groups and Possibility for Assistantship, and Industry Exposure would probably have sold cheesy

Vo : What will this degree do for you?
Me : It will equip me to launch in the managerial level of my career, ( I went blank here)
He was typing.
Nothing too bad here, every wants career advancement, but you could have done a lil bit better sir cheesy
Vo: So did you write any standardised exams
Me : No ( I was explaining but he was typing)
Vo: No?
Me: Yes no. For my course a standardised exam is not required. Rather I am to take a comprehensive project management exam in my last semester.
At this point, your fate was pretty sealed and doubt was cleared from our dear VO's mind, He just wasn't ready to buy your explanation , more especially if he did a quick glance at your schools website cheesy
Vo : who is paying
Me: my uncle.
Vo : I am sorry blablabla.
Your fate was already sealed, this was just for future reference sake, if you reapply, and give another story other than "uncle", you'll raise even more deadly red flags.

Guys kind criticise this transcript and advice cos I am reapplying. School resumed 22nd of January.
Maybe you'll meet a nicer VO, and articulate your points better when you reapply

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
Ah!.. undergrad, The real cash cow for over paid university administrators cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Unlike Nigeria, sir, there is no uniform cost for undergraduate education across the vastness of the american space , Tuition and Living conditions will vary according to the school type.
1) For Profit Private Universities charge Insanely High amount for tuition (>=$40,000 per semester). These universities aren't worth it in most cases due to their lax admission process and unworthiness of their certificate (Let no one deceive you, school matters in great ole murica)
2) Not So great Private Universities - These universities aren't really for profit , and a lot of people on this thread routinely apply to them. But, take heed, their tuition can also be insanely expensive(>=$30,000 per semester,) ,and the degree may not be worth much after you're done. This universities cater mainly to Inner city and not so middle class Americans who have public education out of their reach. These universities also have lax admission. process ( so this may save you from SAT, TOEFL etc wahala)
3) The good and semi-good Private universities - Now these Universities are great in the value they give, and they receive some sort of federal funding and have nice large endowment, hence , even though their tuition is on the high side (>=$20,000 per semester) , There are opportunity for tuition waivers and GPA based scholarships
4) PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES!!- Public Universities are the darlings of any right thinking immigrant. the opportunity for Low tuition, Great ranking ,Great social scene, and closeness to that sweet federal $$ , makes it just right for someone like you. Albeit the admission process is fierce and rigorous as you would be competing with people from literally everywhere (SAT scores ,TOEFL, Transcript, LOR etc would be compulsory). Tuition could range from ($8,000-$25,000)
Asides tuition, Living expenses really depend in where you are, a sleepy college town somewhere in the mid west would be a lot cheaper than a college In a Urban North Eastern City.

BOTTOM LINE : Undergraduate studies in America is insanely expensive , and should not be undertaken by the financially handicapped ; Too many stories of out of status, and incessant transfers to community colleges have become the Norm. If possible, Go to a nice private school like Covenant University in Nigeria, get good grades and then come for Graduate studies, which is a whole lot pocket friendly. grin
Thank you very much,sir!What if I managed to secure a scholarship?Is the cost of preparation in Nigeria not pocket-friendly?Is the cost of living in the US also extemely expensive too?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Judgepelumi(m): 11:47am On Dec 30, 2017
Hello house.
Can I use a fixed deposit bank statement and certificate as proof of funds at the embassy? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:51am On Dec 30, 2017
Albertone:
Thank you very much,sir!What if I managed to secure a scholarship?Is the cost of preparation in Nigeria not pocket-friendly?Is the cost of living in the US also extemely expensive too?
There aren't lots of scholarships exactly for Undergrad applicants as universities tend to be "Needs Blind". Most scholarships I know of are awarded by external agencies, e.g MasterCard, USAP etc, But these scholarships are very fierce and they take only the best of the very bests on the continent. If you're young (<=18) you can apply for community college, the fees are very very cheap, and later on you can transfer to a university.
Cost of preparation may include all or some of the following
1) A Nigerian Passport - 35,000NGN
2) SAT 1 Exam - 50,000NGN
3) SAT 2 Exam (optional )- 50,000NGN
4) application Fees (average of $100 per school)- if you're applying to let's say 5 schools - 180,000NGN(You can apply for tuition waver sha grin)
5) Miscellaneous- 30,000 NGN
Total - approx 300,000-350,000NGN
Solution - Drag yourself down to Walter carrington on Wednesday for the EducationUSA counselling. After the general session, You can join them for one on one sessions for about 35,000 NGN, its way better than meeting an agent, or constantly coming online. EducationUSA is the excellent solution for you sir grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 11:51am On Dec 30, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 11:58am On Dec 30, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
There aren't lots of scholarships exactly for Undergrad applicants as universities tend to be "Needs Blind". Most scholarships I know of are awarded by external agencies, e.g MasterCard, USAP etc, But these scholarships are very fierce and they take only the best of the very bests on the continent. If you're young (<=18) you can apply for community college, the fees are very very cheap, and later on you can transfer to a university.
Cost of preparation may include all or some of the following
1) A Nigerian Passport - 35,000NGN
2) SAT 1 Exam - 50,000NGN
3) SAT 2 Exam (optional )- 50,000NGN
4) application Fees (average of $100 per school)- if you're applying to let's say 5 schools - 180,000NGN(You can apply for tuition waver sha grin)
5) Miscellaneous- 30,000 NGN
Total - approx 300,000-350,000NGN
Solution - Drag yourself down to Walter carrington on Wednesday for the EducationUSA counselling. After the general session, You can join them for one on one sessions for about 35,000 NGN, its way better than meeting an agent, or constantly coming online. EducationUSA is the excellent solution for you sir grin grin
Thanks alot,I appreciate

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2017
Albertone:
Thanks alot,I appreciate
No problem sire... also, one last thing.. when you finally join the paid EducationUSA circle, Ask them about the USAP program, push for it and apply. cheesy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Albertone(m): 12:02pm On Dec 30, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
No problem sire... also, one last thing.. when you finally join the paid EducationUSA circle, Ask them about the USAP program, push for it and apply. cheesy
Ok,thanks sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2017
Olasunkey:
I'm heading to La Roche college and I went to my interview on Friday was interviewed by one white man in his 30's I think window 21 and he approved my visa after he checked my dad statement of account and I was given white paper and my dad statement of account back I tried tracking my visa status and I saw AP on it... I'm confused... 

transcript loading 80%

You got visa but refused to post transcript. Now you need help you come dey tell us transcript loading 80%. Oga keep your adulterated transcript to yourself. We no be fools here.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Horlanrewajuh: 12:42pm On Dec 30, 2017
Good morning guys . I sincerely wish to appreciate you all for the insights and advices I have gotten here at this forum . God bless you all .

consequent of my denial of an F1 visa on the 28th , and my school resuming on the 2nd of January, I realize that even an emergency date will still not help so I have sought to your advice to defer till fall 2018.

However, I have some questions here I need to ask and I sincerely will appreciate your responses and advices once again. Firstly, is it possible to change institution as against fall 2018 and seek for a higher degree such as masters as I already have a BsC and was seeking for another bsc of which I was denied ?

Secondly , a masters degree in philosophy at Texas AM is what I intend to further in as I have a bsc , 4.0 in philosophy. I will be contacting the school and department in January about this but I need to ask. Which standardized test would be required for me ?
Will I do a translation of my previous degree?
My school does not give students transcripts, of which I believe it would be needed . I have my certificate tho and will be ending Nysc soon . Pls guys I need advices . If my phone number is needed to discuss this with me , I am willing to provide and pay for the airtime you use in calling . Thanks very much and I will be here waiting for replies.

I have a sponsor who is ready to sponsor my education and I don't want to miss this opportunity to pursue my dream . Pls help a brother !
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Solomon27(m): 12:47pm On Dec 30, 2017
Chidinho10:

You got visa but refused to post transcript. Now you need help you come dey tell us transcript loading 80%. Oga keep your adulterated transcript to yourself. We no be fools here.

Lols
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Accscholar: 1:08pm On Dec 30, 2017
Horlanrewajuh:
Good morning guys . I sincerely wish to appreciate you all for the insights and advices I have gotten here at this forum . God bless you all .

consequent of my denial of an F1 visa on the 28th , and my school resuming on the 2nd of January, I realize that even an emergency date will still not help so I have sought to your advice to defer till fall 2018.

However, I have some questions here I need to ask and I sincerely will appreciate your responses and advices once again. Firstly, is it possible to change institution as against fall 2018 and seek for a higher degree such as masters as I already have a BsC and was seeking for another bsc of which I was denied ?

Secondly , a masters degree in philosophy at Texas AM is what I intend to further in as I have a bsc , 4.0 in philosophy. I will be contacting the school and department in January about this but I need to ask. Which standardized test would be required for me ?
Will I do a translation of my previous degree?
My school does not give students transcripts, of which I believe it would be needed . I have my certificate tho and will be ending Nysc soon . Pls guys I need advices . If my phone number is needed to discuss this with me , I am willing to provide and pay for the airtime you use in calling . Thanks very much and I will be here waiting for replies.

I have a sponsor who is ready to sponsor my education and I don't want to miss this opportunity to pursue my dream . Pls help a brother !

1. Yes, you can change institution, as long as they issue you another I-20, and your SEVIS record is updated, and as long as it's reflected in your new Visa application. Otherwise, there may be issues at the POE.

2. Check the school website for the standardised test required, but for that course, it is likely GRE.

Some schools require an independent agency to do transcript evaluation, but most schools don't if your transcript is already in English. Again, check with your department/school.

If your school does not give transcript, they should be able to send it to the school directly (official, that is), at a cost.

That said, since you have not written the GRE at this time, I'm not sure you can still meet with Fall 2018, but it is possible.

Best wishes

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Olasunkey: 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2017
Chidinho10:

chairman no be fight na me that I said 80... Shey I should post half transprict here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 30, 2017
Olasunkey:
chairman no be fight na me that I said 80... Shey I should post half transprict here

You rush ask question but your transcript still dey 80%. Wehdon sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by OluDare01(m): 2:16pm On Dec 30, 2017
imperiouxx:

From our last discussion early this year, you should start applying early in your last semester. Some jobs would look at your location and how much you have left in school. This is the time you should start your post opt application too. Dont forget that it takes about 3 months to get the work authorization and a semester is about 4 months. Visa sponsorship for a Chemistry job is rare. Your best bet is to get job in a research institute and see if they can retain you after your opt. All the best!
Thanks Egbon!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jagaban17: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2017
Anybody with the way forward for my next application/interview?
Will appreciate. Thanks.

jagaban17:
Hello People. I got denied today by the guy in Window 6,really felt bad because I couldn't pinpoint what really went wrong because I felt I was lecturing (I really prepared and prayed well too) the guy all the minutes in his front and he kept on nodding like an agama lizard as we were both smiling.

I'm going to Tamuk for masters in Electrical and electronics engineering,been working in a power engineering firm in Lagos. I got home and read my denial under section 214(b)( Bottom line, I'm not able to show proof I'm coming back after my studies) so I suspected where the problem came.

VO- so where do you work and your responsibilities.
Me- Told him where I work and all what i wrote on my DS-160.
The next question was
VO- Are you on a study leave.
Me- Yes. The management of organization are fully aware of my desire to pursue a masters degree as it would help me to attain the post of the head of operations in my dept when i come back and I have my study leave here.
VO- oh Good. Is your study leave with pay or without pay.
Me- My study leave is without pay as my dad will be responsible for my study throughout my programme.

Few questions after that and he was typing for like a minute and I was thinking I killed it and I should get an approval.

Then he issued me a blue paper. Asked him what went wrong, he said 'I'm really sorry, I don't coach bla bla' and I left.

So please any advise? I'm reapplying for sure but I can't get a study leave with pay at my organization and how else can I change my situation to stand a chance of getting a positive outcome.

Thanks. Please I need kind and frank response.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by bigfamo(m): 2:33pm On Dec 30, 2017
Solomon27:

If you have been reading the transcripts in this room, you would have seen many approved BSc to BSc, so far they are of different fields. Just have a good presentation on why this course? And why another BSc/ or change of field?
Thank you sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2017
smartmachine:
visa granted
congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 30, 2017
smartmachine:
visacongrats granted
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2017
Joan011:
Good morning, NL family, fall '18 members get ready ooo the torch has been handed to us Happy New Year in advance to all of you.
Hello is there anyway I can write here apart from quoting I'm new here

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.