Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,804 members, 7,827,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (488) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (920387 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by seeakeem: 12:50pm On Aug 04, 2018
Nairalanders, thank you all for the wonderful job you're doing on this thread. I'm very sure your rewards is in manifolds.

I noticed so many people are not posting their transcripts these days. I'm thinking in my mind the real reason behind this is because of high rate of refusal.

Though I may be wrong, just my thoughts, there are many reasons why people are not posting.

But I believe frankly the transcript in no small measure helps those preparing for theirs, at least boost their confidence, I mean both denials and approvals. It has really helped me.

I was at the embassy today and will soon post my transcript. Majority of applicants were students but from what I saw the rejection rate was more than 90%. I too was among.

What could be responsible for this and is it always like this around this time as someone told me it has been like this for sometime now.

Do you think I should reapply or just wait and differ my admission as this is my first time as student applicant.

Please let those who did their interview today endeavor to post their transcripts. Especially if you have your visa approved.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sorelee(m): 12:55pm On Aug 04, 2018
Sorry about your denial. failure to pronounce Where your dad worked correctly caused you and that is really unfortunate and that was why he said your dad doesn't work there. He took the stuff in so has to clerify things further with his seniors. what you should have was just done was to prove that your dad works there... infact he knows Schlumberger is the world's largest oilfield services company, it would have just taken an Administrative processing to prove that your dad works there instead Of defending your self on why you had to pronounced it that badly. Why he asked you if he had travel to the states was so he could check from his computer at that moment. you would have just told him to further confirm this and put your application on AP....

FriendlyTop:
Denied today at Lagos embassy.. Am a silent follower. My confidence level boosted few minutes before the interview. There were many stammerers,
Some people don't even why they chose their courses.. A guy was asked d difference between CAT 5and CAT 6 (mere Ethernet cable oh), he couldn't answer. Another guy says his company is a solution provider in software and he doesn't know about any programming language, he said something about Microsoft (I laughed) the Chinese guy was trying to help him sef, he answered most of his questions for him, he still got denied. I was hoping to get the Chinese guy cos d guy is good and knows a lot about IT.
My interview
Was directed to window 3.
The guy wore Ankara.
Vo: Good morning
Me: morning
Vo; pass me ur passport and I 20
I did before he even landed.
Vo: how did you hear about the school
I didn't hear him properly, told him to repeat and he did.
Me: After I made d decision of going for masters, I used internet tool to search for schools, listed out some school online with software as d keyword, took it inside Kimberly Clark (an American company). Fortunately for me, d present automation engineer inside d plant did his masters there so it's more like a recommendation.
Vo: what do you do
Me: am an automation technician
Vo: so u write code in c++
Me: am not really good with c++, but I write c#..as an automation person, I basically write PLC programming from Rockwell automation (he told me to repeat Rockwell).
Vo: who's ur sponsor
Me; my dad
Vo: what does he do
Me: he is into oil and gas
The vo guy laugh scatter
Vo: explain further
Me; he is a professional project engineer with schlumberger oil field services in ph
He corrected the pronunciation of schlumberger. I said that's what I call it right from time.
Vo: do u have his bank statement
Me; showed him
he perused through it and took it inside for over 7minutes.
When he got back
Vo: has ur dad been to US before cos of his job
Me: no he has been to Istanbul and UK
vo :you couldn't pronounce your dad's company well which means he doesn't work there.
I laughed and repeated that's what I call it since its German, he said he has never heard anyone pronounced it that way
Me; ok
Vo:what does ur mum do
Me; she's into real estate.
Vo: how many siblings
Me; 4 am d second born
Vo : I believe you are a genuine student but you will be paying 40k USD as tuition fee and am not sure u can afford it
And he gave me blue paper and I left.
Am not reapplying until I find a good school with moderate tuition fee and the course has to be related with software programming cos that's d only course I can defend cos of my job. Any recommendations
Thanks in anticipation.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lasthero: 12:59pm On Aug 04, 2018
August 4th applicants, we are awaiting your transcripts biko.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Predstan: 1:12pm On Aug 04, 2018
Anyone Going to Georgia southern university. I just got admitted into MSc electrical/Electronic system program for spring 2019 but it does not come with any form of assistantship or scholarship although the admission letter States that if any form of assistantship or financial aid is involved, a separate letter will be sent. I got this decision yesterday but I just want to know if the school does offer their assistantship after admission offer or I have to push on to faculties to see if there is any research assistantship position available.

And for the experienced, do you think assistantship positions are available for spring entry? Can I defer the admission to fall 19 and look forward to any form of financial aid or assistantship.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gavrelino123: 1:24pm On Aug 04, 2018
sureb0yy:

Thanks. My advice is for them to stay the hell away from stupid people lol. Once you see someone who doesn't want your progress, plan your life on code and keep telling them you're failing. It's gonna make them happy when they think you're failing. If you hear you can't survive on $1k a month, simply say "Yes o, that's true". Agree with them, spend your $700 quietly and save your $300. No need to argue with negative idiots.

Secondly, read the rules and stay legal. Look at success stories and emulate positive vibes. Block away negative nonsense and never ever let anybody tell you what you can't do. Lol
excellent

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kelvinUchiha(m): 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2018
I was at the embassy today and i think its safe to say everybody that apploed before me was rejected both from my window and all the windows around me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Smartconcept1: 1:50pm On Aug 04, 2018
kelvinUchiha:
I was at the embassy today and i think its safe to say everybody that apploed before me was rejected both from my window and all the windows around me

Abuja or Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 4peace4: 2:03pm On Aug 04, 2018
Please those of you coming here to talk about how everyone was rejected at the embassy today pls speak for yourself and stop killing ppl morale i wonder if you guys stayed all through in the interview hall monitoring the rejection and you are still there currently typing this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kelvinUchiha(m): 2:06pm On Aug 04, 2018
Smartconcept1:

Abuja or Lagos
Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kelvinUchiha(m): 2:10pm On Aug 04, 2018
My advice is..if its students visa..show proof of coming back. If you only say u are coming back to get a job they will refuse u.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by roniex2(f): 2:15pm On Aug 04, 2018
People shouldn't come back here and say everyone was denied abeg. It's so discouraging and people that have their interviews the next day or soon can lose confidence with this. I believe if you answered your questions well, have proofs of coming back other than the job you will take at xyz(Like you can't find a better job in the US) and you have more than enough stated in your bank statement. You will be good.
Come here with transcripts so people can correct you.
Then pray!
Shikena

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 04, 2018
kelvinUchiha:
My advice is..if its students visa..show proof of coming back. If you only say u are coming back to get a job they will refuse u.
How are prospective applicants expected to show they will return? Enlighten the house

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by NefT: 2:33pm On Aug 04, 2018
Nahum777:
My admission letter states that I must be at the school before orientation. Maybe you should read your admission letter very well, they wrote everything in there.
It is not there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Flaame(m): 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2018
Yes.....please what better proof of coming back should we give Enlighten us please!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ExpressBooking(m): 2:47pm On Aug 04, 2018
I was denied today at Lagos. Transcript goes thus;

Me: Good morning
VO: (didn't reply) Asks for passport and i-20
Me: Passed on requested docs
VO: Why M-1 visa
Me: Its vocational training (Aircraft Pilot)
VO: What do you do?
Me: Am the managing director xyz firm and we do business
VO: What do you sell?
Me: Office and Home furnitures we import and clear too
VO: Cuts in...Why study aircraft pilot now?
Me: I don't have sponsorship and program is quite expensive, so it took me time to be financially prepared for this since I am financing myself
VO:What do you want to do with the training?
Me: I want to work as an ATP (Airline Transport Pilot)
VO: You import cars too?
Me: I used to but business wasn't favourable so I quit
VO: Reaches for and hands me a blue paper and you know the rest.

Note: I went for B1/B2 Last year June and was denied. then I wrote car importation and sales as major business. I waited for one year before enrolling for a flight training school so that this car dealer thing won't pop up, but it still did. I guess that reason for denial. I am going to wait for a month and try again. My Pilot program starts on October 1st
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jelmusboy(m): 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2018
The truth is that the rate of refusal is just too MUCH. Maybe US consular have the belief that those applying late for visa are attending low tier universities.

Rate of refusal from July up till today is just crazy compared to what we have in May and June for Fall 2018.

If you are a genuine student, get your transcript together and refire. Try to know why you are refused and work on it.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tadexpreccy: 2:50pm On Aug 04, 2018
kelvinUchiha:

Well you’re very very much right, I was at the embassy also today and the rejection rate was quite alarming! I mean I was asked two questionns and not even given 10secs to answer before being cut off? What in the world.. and it’s not just me,: it was my friend and I.
And one thing for sure, was that I didn’t panic, I was composed as I’ve been rehearsing for two weeks coming now.
I mean what “ties” do you want me to come up with? But y’all feeling we are saying this cos we got denied.. Fine! But I’m talking with what I saw.. I mean how won’t you interview people for even a minute and deny? All is well sha..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by NefT: 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2018
iceberge:
it is just a technical stop, so you wont be needing a transit visa. this is what I was told by the customer service personel. they also wanted to know if i was an F1 visa holder or not (am not sure if that also matters). I will be travelling to san diego with ethiopian airlines.

Infact i got different conflicting answers. Wikipedia says Nigerians and some other 16nations will mostly third world countries. I had to put a call to the customer care line of Ireland embassy, the lady that picked it said i won't be needing a needing a transit visa after confirming from another source at their embassy in Abuja. I asked her if she was 100% sure and she told me to send a mail to the embassy myself. I did and the white woman said i will be needing it because ET airlines are strict about this requirement at Adis Ababa during Check in. She even call me offering to assist if I can send all documents to Abuja. That led me to cancel my initial flight scheduled for 6th of August.

Below is the email correspondence

To whom it may concern:

I am travelling to the United States of America for my doctorate degree via Ethiopia Airline‎. Hope do not need an Ireland Visa since I will be on transit(45 minutes Service stop) via Dublin Ireland?

Dear Sir/Madam

If you are a Nigerian citizen you will be required to obtain a transit visa for that travel plan.

Please see details below relating to the Visa Application process:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Irish%20Visa%20Information  

Applications are initially made online:

https://www.visas.inis.gov.ie/avats/OnlineHome.aspx

Once the application is made online, you may forward the application form, passport, and supporting documents to:

Visa Office
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2

E-mail: visamail@justice.ie

Once the online application is completed you will be instructed where to forward your application.

This office only accepts applications from persons resident in Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal.

Best Regards,

Visa Office
Embassy of Ireland
Abuja

I just called a customer care line here in Lagos and I was told there won't be a need for a transit visa. I do not know ‎which of these statements to take as concrete. I have already booked this flight already and do not want to cancel it. 
The flight itinerary is Lagos to Adis Ababa Ethiopia, Ethiopia to Dublin (45 minutes Service stop not a long layover at all)‎.
What do I do now since visa processing takes time and the flight is already schedule for 6th August. If you insist I get a Visa before travelling, how long does typically take? Note I have a valid US student visa ‎issued recently July 24 for the purpose of my journey for the Fall semestre starting August 20th.
Please kindly assist.
I have tried calling Abuja embassy all to no avail. Can you provide me with a valid phone number to clarify all my doubt?
Regards,

Dear Sir/Madam

I can confirm definitively that you will require a transit visa. I have checked with my colleagues in Dublin Airport who have confirmed that this is the situation. The other information you received from a customer care line in Lagos is incorrect. My colleague in Dublin Airport has also advised that if you do not obtain a visa in advance that you run the risk of not being allowed to board in Addis Ababa as Ethiopian Emigration Officers are very strict on this issue.

Do you have a number I can contact you on to discuss ?

Visa Office
ABUJA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 2:51pm On Aug 04, 2018
ExpressBooking:
I was denied today at Lagos. Transcript goes thus;

Me: Good morning
VO: (didn't reply) Asks for passport and i-20
Me: Passed on requested docs
VO: Why M-1 visa
Me: Its vocational training (Aircraft Pilot)
VO: What do you do?
Me: Am the managing director xyz firm and we do business
VO: What do you sell?
Me: Office and Home furnitures we import and clear too
VO: Cuts in...Why study aircraft pilot now?
Me: I don't have sponsorship and program is quite expensive, so it took me time to be financially prepared for this since I am financing myself
VO:What do you want to do with the training?
Me: I want to work as an ATP (Airline Transport Pilot)
VO: You import cars too?
Me: I used to but business wasn't favourable so I quit
VO: Reaches for and hands me a blue paper and you know the rest.

Note: I went for B1/B2 Last year June and was denied. then I wrote car importation and sales as major business. I waited for one year before enrolling for a flight training school so that this car dealer thing won't pop up, but it still did. I guess that reason for denial. I am going to wait for a month and try again. My Pilot program starts on October 1st

Even if you wait 10years. All your previous details are in their system. I believe there is no correlation with the training you are going for and your present work. You couldn't answer why you are switching too. Work on this area
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Tadexpreccy: 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2018
roniex2:
People shouldn't come back here and say everyone was denied abeg. It's so discouraging and people that have their interviews the next day or soon can lose confidence with this. I believe if you answered your questions well, have proofs of coming back other than the job you will take at xyz(Like you can't find a better job in the US) and you have more than enough stated in your bank statement. You will be good.

Then pray!
Shikena

I see.. well I was pretty sure I answered well and was composed.. I gues he’s already decided what to do before I spoke sef..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by mroluyemo: 2:54pm On Aug 04, 2018
My visa was approved today

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by NefT: 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2018
LagosismyHome:

The last day to arrive is the start date on your i20 .... anthing after the day on the I20 you have problems at POE ...... and then on the other side, you can enter any day within 30days before on or before the start date on the i20 . If you enter before 30days is a problem as well

Summary the day to watch out is the start date on the i20

But i could remember last year when i was denied twice. I noticed that the only adjustment made was in the start of class just to accommodate all delays When my school sent me a second I-20 in August for my second interview. The program start was never changed.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tommykiwi(m): 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2018
roniex2:
Then pray!
Shikena
You are on point! I think you said it all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tommykiwi(m): 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2018
mroluyemo:
Congrats! Please kindly post your transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by roniex2(f): 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2018
mroluyemo:
Please post your transcript
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 3:14pm On Aug 04, 2018
jelmusboy:
The truth is that the rate of refusal is just too MUCH. Maybe US consular have the belief that those applying late for visa are attending low tier universities.

Rate of refusal from July up till today is just crazy compared to what we have in May and June for Fall 2018.

If you are a genuine student, get your transcript together and refire. Try to know why you are refused and work on it.
Bros u lie oga has said another one low tier sch ke?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ubah1(m): 3:15pm On Aug 04, 2018
sunshineluv5:
Bros u lie oga has said another one low tier sch ke?

Rate of refusal is high though but people are getting their visa

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 4peace4: 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2018
lolzzz this life get as e b some ppl dey busy dey cry for their denials while some they busy they book flight they cry say them dey stranded for airport issorite

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Segunagagu(m): 3:40pm On Aug 04, 2018
Pls I want to ask about Widener University in the US. Is it a good school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nahum777(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2018
Lol, people don't want to hear the truth. Personally, other people's failures motivate me to do better (This might sound like "bad Belle", but that's just me). When you hear that people are getting refused, your brain would tell you that you need to practice more and you need to be 100% prepared. I prepared for a whole month, I memorized a whole book within this period and that's because of the stories I heard about how people get rejected and how it's not easy to obtain your visa. It was quite easy for me, but the refusal stories made me prepare harder than I would normally do if the stories were all positive. In fact, the two people who were rejected before me gave me a confidence boost because I knew I had better answers to the questions the VO asked. If those two people were approved, hehe I am not sure I would have gotten that boost (Yes, bad Belle, but that's how I felt).

Most times negative stories help us avoid mistakes. And I personally love when people say "Many people were denied". This will tell you that it's not a child's play and you need to be serious about your visa. You have to put in work. You can't just wake up and go to the embassy without preparing prior to your interview.

I repeat, I used 1 month to prepare.

1) I used 1 week to compose, correct and put my transcript in place.

2) I memorized my transcript every morning when I woke and night before going to bed. I stood in front of the mirror and demonstrated how I would talk when I get to the embassy.

3) I checked the dictionary for the real pronunciation of words.

4) I thought about possible questions and answers that weren't on my transcript in the bathroom. Yes, I would ask myself a random question and think about a great answer for that question.

5) I did research about my school, the state, the location, the culture and the professors. I watched YouTube videos from people who are currently in the school and they spoke about how it's to be at the school. I watched YouTube videos on visa interview and people's experiences. I followed this thread for a year before my interview.

6) I took this stuff very seriously. I wasn't joking with this, I prepared like God didn't exist, I prepared like it was a final year exam.

7) I went on Quora to read stuff about the school from present students, to help me with the "Why this school? " question.

cool I be beard gang, but I cut my beard and cut my hair really neat and nice like I was going for a job interview. I put on a tie with my white shirt and trouser to the interview. This was how serious I took this thing.

9) Tell your mom or your sisters to pray for you and pray as well lol. Pray and work for your success.

10) Be consistent with your answers and make sure you don't say anything that's not on your DS160.

11) Some people will tell you not to cram, but don't mind them. If you are good with cramming, my brothers and sisters do your thing. Don't cram all, just cram the important questions and work out answers in your head for possible questions.

This worked for me and it will work for you if you are serious about this.

BONUS!

No funding, no standardized test, my school had an 100% acceptance rate and nothing exception. The only exceptional thing was how I presented my case.

19 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (485) (486) (487) (488) (489) (490) (491) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.