Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,370 members, 7,861,023 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 09:14 PM

A Call To Conscientious Parenting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Call To Conscientious Parenting (296 Views)

Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate / Parenting Advice For Career Women From Pastor Mrs Olamide Timi David / 11 Sign Of Bad Parenting With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Call To Conscientious Parenting by Listic1: 8:13am On Dec 12, 2017
In the news on Monday, 20th November, 2017; we heard of how two men were remanded in prison custody by a Chief Magistrate's Court in Port Harcourt pending legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions. Their offence was that they separately defiled two little girls. One of those girls was only four years old! A similar thing happened a few months ago with the runaway prisoner who was eventually rearrested by the police in Jos. It should be noted, though, that these are the incidents that are reported; a higher number of these sort of abuses stay below the radar.

Back to the matter. This is a very despicable and barbaric act. It is inexcusable and must be condemned by all well meaning people. Nevertheless, a lesson or two could be learnt from the episode. There is a need, like never before, for conscientious parenting. In recent times, many a parent/guardian are becoming too carefree. How can one explain the freedom given to very young children these days? Sometimes, no, all the time, I am utterly gobsmacked to see children of between 4 and 10 years wandering about unsupervised and sometimes as late as 10pm. Stuff some adults cannot even do. At that age, I was not even allowed to leave my immediate vicinity after 8pm on those occasions when I was not sleeping. And the world was way better, or if you like, saner, then!

I agree, parents must go out and sometimes stay out very late in order to fend for the family. It goes without saying that the Nigerian economy is not smiling at most struggling families at this time. But then, must we sacrifice the future of our children for temporary economic gain? Must we place our children in situations that some paedophile or other depraved people can take advantage of them and by so doing inflict maximum damage on them and scar them for life? I think not! The reason for this is simple. To have broken children, is to be done for in all ramifications as a society. This is why I have consistently advocated that families must be compelled to have only the number of children they can comfortably cater to. In addition, they must also do everything possible to shield these children from these growing dangers.

This is extremely important for a variety of reasons. But the most fundamental is that while it is true that the offender may be prosecuted and punished, in the majority of cases the damage cannot be undone. Poignantly, as a lawyer I know that in a good number of cases the offender may not even be punished as a result of the interplay of some legal technicalities. Such a development is most unfortunate. But sadly, this is our reality. It should, therefore, be a constant reminder to today's parents - the young ones especially - to be up and doing and deliver on their mandate!

Listic1; @ODNEsq.

Mynd44; Lalasticlala, please a lot of families need to see this. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Let Me Help You Design Your Blog And Teach You How To Make Money With It / Shareasmilenigeria / How Do You Wish To Be Treated Like When Old?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.