Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained (29195 Views)

Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land / The Reasons Why Igbo Marriage Is Expensive And Secret Way Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Deo1986(m): 7:33pm On Dec 12, 2017
And why are the Igbos advertizing their marriage procedures in the zoo?
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by somegirl1: 7:37pm On Dec 12, 2017
ottohan:

LOL..
their own is too much
especially mbaise!!
like as if d gal is made of gold

Mbaise is not in Owerri

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by lebesgue(m): 7:37pm On Dec 12, 2017
To all the complainers, make we hear word jare. If I really like the woman and see her as my future wife, I will pay anything!

Instead of complaining, look for other women. It is not by force. In fact, if you can't afford the little things your prospective in-laws are demanding, how will you support your family?

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Icon79(m): 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2017
Igbo marriage is quite expensive but if you get what you paid for. An average Igbo girl raised in Igboland, by an Igbo mother, would not cheat on her husband. And she'll respect you whether you're rich or poor .... and no matter what you're going thru, she'll stand behind you and be your rock!

An average Yoruba woman would cheat on her husband without batting an eye. But then so are their men as well. Hence, both the wife and the husby would keep cheating and being cheat on grin

O pari

gloriaunobi:
And is this same tubers of yam, drinks etc that will be consumed on that very day of the traditional wedding, then it cheap.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:39pm On Dec 12, 2017
Atunma:
One million naira ke! That is too much o! A moderate trade marriage should be achieved with btwn 300-500k because tins don cost o, if na when tins good, 250k don do u marry wife.
. Honestly,I spent close to 2 million naira to get married from a village in Abia. Let me not say the name.at a time I almost pulled out of the whole thing.About six different list. Even their youths almost fought me on the day of the traditional wedding just because I refused to pay the complete money in their own list. To be honest with you,if the elders in that particular village am talking abt do not do anything,am afraid their women will be finding it difficult to marry.

3 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Archangel15: 7:43pm On Dec 12, 2017
JONNYSPUTE:
. Honestly,I spent close to 2 million naira to get married from a village in Abia. Let me not say the name.at a time I almost pulled out of the whole thing.About six different list. Even their youths almost fought me on the day of the traditional wedding just because I refused to pay the complete money in their own list. To be honest with you,if the elders in that particular village am talking abt do not do anything,am afraid their women will be finding it difficult to marry.

Igbo babes do not find it hard to marry, they are in high demand all over the country.

The Ooni of Ife is currently eyeing an Igbo babe grin

3 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 12, 2017
Icon79:
Igbo marriage is quite expensive but if you get what you paid for. An average Igbo girl raised in Igboland, by an Igbo mother, would not cheat on her husband. And she'll respect you whether you're rich or poor .... and no matter what you're going thru, she'll stand behind you and be your rock!

An average Yoruba woman would cheat on her husband without batting an eye. But then so are their men as well. Hence, both the wife and the husby would keep cheating and being cheat on grin

O pari

Why do you have to draw Yorubas into this? Do you know if you keep hating on Yorubas, things won’t go well for your tribe in this country? Leave Yorubas alone as we are not the cause of your misfortune. Face the thread and stop hating. angry angry

7 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by GOFRONT(m): 7:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
If thats the case, then i can still marry my Chiamaka....
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by JONNYSPUTE(m): 7:48pm On Dec 12, 2017
Archangel15:

Igbo babes do not find it hard to marry, they are in high demand all over the country. grin
. I was tlki g of a particular village in Abia,I never generalized it. Besides,so many Igbo girls re still single. Why re they not married? Judging from what u said.

4 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by amazingfrank(m): 7:49pm On Dec 12, 2017
I disagree with some parts of this Write-ups, especially the monetary aspect of it
During my own Traditional Marriage with my Wife from (ANAMBRA STATE), The Items in the List didn't cost more than One Hundred Thousand naira (N100,000).
Anambra State, from my experience doesn't encourage spending a lot in the List for Traditional Marriage. But, some parts of East like IMO State (Mbaise) etc, Presents list with up to One Million naira or more worth of items.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by sexaddict08(m): 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2017
Igbos are actually selling their daughters, any Igbo man that doesn't treat his wife badly deserves medal...
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Icon79(m): 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2017
LOL. I don't hate Yoruba. I was only making a comparative analysis, so don't get it twisted.

And by the way, I actually love Yoruba people. I went to school in Yoruba land and my first real girlfriend was a Yoruba girl ... she opened my eyes, I gotta tell ya tongue

And some of my Nigerian heroes are Yoruba people, such as: Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin (RIP), Gani Fawenhinmi (RIP), Fela Anikulapo Kuti (RIP).

O pari

Alcatraz005:

Why do you have to draw Yorubas into this? Do you know if you keep hating on Yorubas, things won’t go well for your tribe in this country? Leave Yorubas alone as we are not the cause of your misfortune. Face the thread and stop hating.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Bluffly: 7:52pm On Dec 12, 2017
GodDeyCraze:
Only lazy people complain to the bride price,
If you can't provide all these, how you wan take feed your family or train your children?!

BTW all things are for the (umunna)clan and not the family, the umunna believe they follow own/train the bride not only the family.

Implore some courtesy, and don't be full of yourself.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Omoluabi16(m): 7:53pm On Dec 12, 2017
Lol. Igbo and their wahala. Imo girls are quite pretty sharp.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
Icon79:
LOL. I don't hate Yoruba. I was only making a comparative analysis, so don't get it twisted.

And by the way, I actually love Yoruba people. I went to school in Yoruba land and my first real girlfriend was a Yoruba girl ... she opened my eyes, I gotta tell ya tongue

And some of my Nigerian heroes are Yoruba people, such as: Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin (RIP), Gani Fawenhinmi (RIP), Fela Anikulapo Kuti (RIP).

O pari

Just the get fvck out and leave Yorubas alone. Face your igbo bride price mess. angry

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by wristbangle: 7:57pm On Dec 12, 2017
Archangel15:

Igbo babes do not find it hard to marry, they are in high demand all over the country.

[s]The Ooni of Ife is currently eyeing an Igbo babe[/s] grin

There are lot of single Igbo ladies I know. This is not about tribe., even the level of single ladies is on the rise in the society due to their high demand and economic hardship.

On a normal day, an average Nigerian guy if he got the opportunity to travel overseas would chose a white/black American lady over the olosho broke hungry ladies we have in this country.

Omoluabi16:
Lol. Igbo and their wahala. Imo girls are quite pretty sharp.

You are right especially from Mbiase LGA cool

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by michaelang(m): 7:58pm On Dec 12, 2017
Op, i've attended quite a good number of igbo marriages and they were all fv*king expensive.
When my cousin got married (she came down from the states with her hubby to be), if you see bride price you go fear**mind you i'm not igbo**
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Omoluabi16(m): 8:01pm On Dec 12, 2017
wristbangle:

There are lot of single Igbo ladies I know. This is not about tribe., even the level of single ladies is on the rise in the society due to their high demand and economic hardship.

On a normal day, an average Nigerian guy if he got the opportunity to travel overseas would chose a white/black American lady over the olosho broke hungry ladies we have in this country.

You are right especially from Mbiase LGA cool
talking from experience abi? grin the only thing I ever heard about that LGA was that they eat people. Myth.. Fable.. Lord knows.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Pearl05(f): 8:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
Maybe you are from Imo and Abia axis of igbo land. From my town in Anambra, there is no such thing as father's, mother's, umunna's list etc. Just one single list that the kindred(umunna) will share that day. The bride price is usually taken by the father or brother of the girl in a situation where father is late.

As you your father and mother in-law, you can buy them anything that pleases you ranging from clothing or you can give them money to buy what they want. No one forces you to buy things for them as one doesn't finish marrying wife.

3 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Pearl05(f): 8:10pm On Dec 12, 2017
amazingfrank:
I disagree with some parts of this Write-ups, especially the monetary aspect of it
During my own Traditional Marriage with my Wife from (ANAMBRA STATE), The Items in the List didn't cost more than One Hundred Thousand naira (N100,000).
Anambra State, from my experience doesn't encourage spending a lot in the List for Traditional Marriage. But, some parts of East like IMO State (Mbaise) etc, Presents list with up to One Million naira or more worth of items.

You are right

4 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by r2beez(m): 8:11pm On Dec 12, 2017
Haha shey na the whole community u won marry?? ?
Haba, only a bigot will say this list is not much for a young man who is just starting life in Nigeria.

Abeg make my igbo people free my guys Jare. Life don pass this level

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by wristbangle: 8:13pm On Dec 12, 2017
Omoluabi16:
talking from experience abi? grin the only thing I ever heard about that LGA was that they eat people. Myth.. Fable.. Lord knows.

Lol I think Clifford Orji is from there.

To be honest aside the High bride price, Imo ladies are quite accommodating, caring and loving. After them, I give it to Abia and Anambrans ladies. I dunno of Enugu & Ebonyi.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Icon79(m): 8:13pm On Dec 12, 2017
Inferiority complex, huh

Pele o. Sorry, Ndi Igbo tend to intimidate other tribes grin

O pari

Alcatraz005:

Just the get fvck out and leave Yorubas alone. Face your igbo bride price mess. angry
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by ipodstinks: 8:15pm On Dec 12, 2017
IgboticGirl:
well if u cant afford it leave our women alone is not must to marry Igbo women

THEY KNOW THEMSLEVES

@hennry thank u for the correction
grin Lubbish, why una no kuku put the ladies for olx.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Omoluabi16(m): 8:16pm On Dec 12, 2017
wristbangle:

Lol I think Clifford Orji is from there.

To be honest aside the High bride price, Imo ladies are quite accommodating, caring and loving. After them, I give it to Abia and Anambrans ladies. I dunno of Enugu & Ebonyi.
I. e you're either dating or eyeing an ominous igbo. Did one you dry hype them. Hustle well sha, more oil for your pocket. The umunnas and obis must chop. wink
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by adetes: 8:16pm On Dec 12, 2017
Igbo marriage is on high side, arewa marriage is d cheapest one
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Pearl05(f): 8:17pm On Dec 12, 2017
jaylicioussss:
In my own place (idemili in Anambra) d bride price is about #30 naira. D woman's family provides what is to be eaten on d trad wedding day. If d man decides to bring all his kindred and football team, then he will be asked to chip in for d food and drinks. he must bring all that is in d list though, if he can't bring all, he can talk with his father in-law and he will talk with d family members on his behalf. Then for d white wedding d man's family will take care of d expenses. During d dance at d trad wedding, d money recovered will be shared between d man and d woman

From my side is abt #1500 for indigenes and a little higher for outsiders but not up to 5000.

Nne, kedu ebe I by n' idemili. M bu onye ogidi
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by PastorAji(m): 8:19pm On Dec 12, 2017
I overheard a guy last week in Benin complaining that he should have at least 60% of about #600k before they start announcing in the church
I was like

#wtf
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by WrathOfHadez(m): 8:20pm On Dec 12, 2017
This is just the marriage rites of some villages in imo and Abia and states and doesn’t tally with the traditional requirements of other Igbo communities.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Pearl05(f): 8:21pm On Dec 12, 2017
Unseen:
Op.
From my side of Anambra, all you listed there is enough to marry 5 wives. I don't know if you're been sarcastic or writing on hearsay.

Seriously, the 5 wives sef is on high key but on low key, you be making it 10 but we are mainly monogamous so you Marry and use the balance to stock up ur shop.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by hartson(m): 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2017
oake:
2018 ... I must marry a sweet and succulent Igbo babe!
good.it shall come to pass.I am from the east we r very proud when good people from other tribes marry our ladies.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 8:27pm On Dec 12, 2017
Na so one of my friend go collect list. Omo I tell u we see one 33,000 liters tanker off premium motor spirt as an item for the list. Seems fuel scarcity is biting hard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.