Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained (29166 Views)

Part Of Igbo Land Where You Mustn’t Kill A Python / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land / The Reasons Why Igbo Marriage Is Expensive And Secret Way Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 12, 2017
Icon79:
Inferiority complex, huh

Pele o. Sorry, Ndi Igbo tend to intimidate other tribes grin

O pari

Intimidate? Please don’t get me started on this very well reasoned thread. We know which tribe begs for it place on the table in Nigeria. I will leave it at that.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by okekecc1(m): 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
The writer have no knowledge on Igbo culture.

Disregard the writer
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by wristbangle: 8:32pm On Dec 12, 2017
Omoluabi16:
I. e you're either dating or eyeing an ominous igbo. Did one you dry hype them. Hustle well sha, more oil for your pocket. The umunnas and obis must chop. wink

Baba, lol I no fit pay huge bride price oo. I am just given an overview of them.

I dey my lane jeje. I no dey reason dem abeg cheesy
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Tizbid(m): 8:35pm On Dec 12, 2017
The prices vary, I dare say, “as the spirit leads”, when it comes to this. As regularly observed, parents of the bride will decline accepting the bride price, stating instead that the list for the Umunne be fulfilled and to go ahead and live in peace with their daughter. Even more notable in some cases is parents collecting a particular amount for bride price and then returning it back to the groom with the instruction/advice to take care of their daughter. They always assert that their daughters are not for sale.

Gbam!

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by OBku4(m): 8:36pm On Dec 12, 2017
IAMSASHY:
undecided in my own Enugu side dat d list contains only drinks, rice and ingredients 2 b cooked on d D_day, u willingly (nt must) buy cloths 4 d brides mother and father, ntin else. D list is much abeg

nawa o... U dey advertise yourself even 4 dis platform
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by jaylicioussss(f): 8:37pm On Dec 12, 2017
Pearl05:

From my side is abt #1500 for indigenes and a little higher for outsiders but not up to 5000.

Nne, kedu ebe I by n' idemili. M bu onye ogidi
Abum onye Alor o
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by ABBA869: 8:41pm On Dec 12, 2017
Truly Igbo Girls Are too Money Conscious,The Girls Na Wahala,GOD forbid,Igbo Girls Can kill their Husbands for money !!!
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Kennedymac(m): 8:45pm On Dec 12, 2017
ottohan:

LOL..
their own is too much
especially mbaise!!
like as if d gal is made of gold
pls how many people from mbaise have u married ? stop depending on hearsay

2 Likes

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Wisebisho: 8:46pm On Dec 12, 2017
GodDeyCraze:
Only lazy people complain to the bride price,
If you can't provide all these, how you wan take feed your family or train your children?!

BTW all things are for the (umunna)clan and not the family, the umunna believe they follow own/train the bride not only the family.
It it only a greedy family that will like to sulk their in-law dry because he came to marry their daughter.. Tomorrow they will still run to the same in-law asking for one help or another forgetting that they have already sold their daughter.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Azam101: 8:48pm On Dec 12, 2017
Igbo kwenu ! business in marriage
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Jman06(m): 8:54pm On Dec 12, 2017
The problem is not even about the money to be spent but about getting a good wife.
From what i am seeing lately with my igbo sisters, i doubt if i will marry from my tribe again.
I think i will settle for edo.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by sonofoluku: 8:58pm On Dec 12, 2017
gloriaunobi:
And is this same tubers of yam, drinks etc that will be consumed on that very day of the traditional wedding, then it cheap.

Nice...niw I am enlightened.I used to fear Ibo babes.Pls kindly tell ur family that I will soon be coming with my folks.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 12, 2017
Wisebisho:

It it only a greedy family that will like to sulk their in-law dry because he came to marry their daughter.. Tomorrow they will still run to the same in-law asking for one help or another forgetting that they have already sold their daughter.

You're just a zombie because in the comment you quoted, it was I clear that those things don't belong to the family.

If you no get money for bride price, no marry!

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Basiljoe: 9:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by buchibrand(m): 9:15pm On Dec 12, 2017
IGBO MARRIAGE IS FAR MORE CHEAPER THAN WHAT THE OP LISTED.

Getting married to an Igbo lady is very cheap if you know the secret, or you are able to get an insider who will leak the secret to you.

I will explain.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Masterclass32: 9:35pm On Dec 12, 2017
Sirheny007:

Oga .. your moniker is a bit worrisome.
Is ''worrisome'' the word?
I think the moniker shows crass ignorance.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by nazablossom(f): 9:41pm On Dec 12, 2017
The list is too much abeg. My town doesn't spend much on traditional marriage.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Fawklicant: 9:56pm On Dec 12, 2017
wristbangle:

Lol I think Clifford Orji is from there.

To be honest aside the High bride price, Imo ladies are quite accommodating, caring and loving. After them, I give it to Abia and Anambrans ladies. I dunno of Enugu & Ebonyi.

Also the most promiscuous set of women and money loving long throats in Igbo land. Whatever stereotype you've heard about them is most likely true. I don't pay mind to stereotypes but I learnt from experience on multiple occasions to make imo ladies an exception to the rule as far as stereotypes go. Believe it bro!

But you'd still get some very good ladies there, few though compared to the wolves.

Anambra ladies are cool for the most part but can bring the ruckus into your life if you are with a tear eye woman. They show their love for money too, maybe because the people are very enterprising.

Enugu ladies are level headed, mostly submissive but timid. You'll most likely get the most peace of mind with them.

Dunno much about Ebonyi ladies but I know say Ebonyi people get mind sha. Cutlass is never too far away from them. grin
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:21pm On Dec 12, 2017
Truth is some igbo marriages are expensive.Some do not collect brideprice though but what is the difference if you still have to bring a list.Umunna or whatever they are called that did not contribute one naira to the girl's education will want to come and collect or even the kinsmen.If there is anything i know culture evolves and is not static the things on that list could cost more than a million.Nigerians like big things if the guy does not have money to pay all these they should give him something not more than thirty thousand do the traditional marriage in their parlour,shikena do blessing of marriage and Registry marriage.Not more than 200 thousand they are married,what is the point of doing a 5 million naira wedding if they divorce tomorrow who will compensate who.Must everybody attend the marriage.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Akumpu(m): 11:20pm On Dec 12, 2017
This is much. I guess this is coming from imo state. My town Agulu in Anambra State, with 150k you have fulfilled all those traditional rites and still got some change in your pockets.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Wisebisho: 11:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
GodDeyCraze:

You're just a zombie because in the comment you quoted, it was I clear that those things don't belong to the family.

If you no get money for bride price, no marry!
Thanks a lot for the insult. Well I am too matured to join ur insult train and I did not brought myself up to be insulting people.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by noalistic(m): 11:56pm On Dec 12, 2017
Icon79:
Igbo marriage is quite expensive but if you get what you paid for. An average Igbo girl raised in Igboland, by an Igbo mother, would not cheat on her husband. And she'll respect you whether you're rich or poor .... and no matter what you're going thru, she'll stand behind you and be your rock!

An average Yoruba woman would cheat on her husband without batting an eye. But then so are their men as well. Hence, both the wife and the husby would keep cheating and being cheat on grin

O pari

How come they dominate prostitution

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 12:12am On Dec 13, 2017
Wisebisho:

Thanks a lot for the insult. Well I am too matured to join ur insult train and I did not brought myself up to be insulting people.

Try to use your brain next, stop replying rubbish
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Wisebisho: 12:27am On Dec 13, 2017
GodDeyCraze:

Try to use your brain next, stop replying rubbish
OK uncle.. Noted.
God bless you.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by dadabashua1(m): 12:36am On Dec 13, 2017
gloriaunobi:
And is this same tubers of yam, drinks etc that will be consumed on that very day of the traditional wedding, then it cheap.
lovely dp....#igboamaka
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Icon79(m): 1:08am On Dec 13, 2017
Are you on drugz shocked

Nigerians who dominate prostitution in Europe (Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, France etc.) are:
1. Edo State
2. Ondo State
3. Lagos State
4. Kogi
5. Benue State
6. Cross River State
7. Akwa Ibom State
8. Osun State

Which one amongst those is an Igbo state

O pari

noalistic:
How come they dominate prostitution
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Nobody: 1:50am On Dec 13, 2017
Wisebisho:

OK uncle.. Noted.
God bless you.

I don't need God's blessings, you can have it/keep it to yourself.
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by noalistic(m): 7:08am On Dec 13, 2017
Icon79:
Are you on drugz shocked

Nigerians who dominate prostitution in Europe (Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, France etc.) are:
1. Edo State
2. Ondo State
3. Lagos State
4. Kogi
5. Benue State
6. Cross River State
7. Akwa Ibom State
8. Osun State

Which one amongst those is an Igbo state

O pari

Ode, what about local prostitution? They are number one in every single state of the Federation. Local champions. Foreigners won't want to fvck a local pvssy
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by macuno88(m): 7:32am On Dec 13, 2017
there is nothing cheap abt that ur list OP..wat is wrong in spending less than 400k to do a small marriage and move on with life??
Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Wisebisho: 7:37am On Dec 13, 2017
GodDeyCraze:

I don't need God's blessings, you can have it/keep it to yourself.
What defiles a man is not what goes into a man but what comes out of a man.

1 Like

Re: The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained by Abee79(m): 7:40am On Dec 13, 2017
Awesome!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.