Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,158 members, 7,953,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:07 PM

deleted - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / deleted (8745 Views)

Has Lomomike Deleted His Nairaland Account? / Deleted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

deleted by ireneann: 8:53am On Apr 01, 2010
deleted
Re: deleted by ireneann: 8:55am On Apr 01, 2010
Opinions are welcome
Re: deleted by KunleA2(m): 9:03am On Apr 01, 2010
Coolant are good but may be you have a bad coolant. Coolant are helpful to prevent rust in your engine block and radiator. However if the water is doing you fine. Don't lose any sleep.

Regards
Re: deleted by ireneann: 10:37am On Apr 01, 2010
Kunle-A:

Coolant are good but may be you have a bad coolant. Coolant are helpful to prevent rust in your engine block and radiator. However if the water is doing you fine. Don't lose any sleep.

Regards

Kunle A - when you say bad coolant you mean FAKE?
Re: deleted by KunleA2(m): 11:00am On Apr 01, 2010
yes
Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 11:56am On Apr 01, 2010
radiator coolant is very bad.it doesn't do anything
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2010
@ poster!I guess you mean antifreeze mixture:

Coolant = water + antifreeze

Antifreeze mixture has to Functions:

1. Addition of right amount  to your radiator  can  lower  the freezing point (temperature) of the water to as low as -50 degrees Celsius. So the water does not freeze in winter. However this does not apply to Naija where freezing is not an issue.

2. Like Kunle rightly said, it prevents internal corrosion. ( most people in Naija do not use  antifreeze that is why the water from the radiator is often brown. This is as a result of corrosion)
Antifreeze are often red or blue. You should use the colour specified for your car. Always use an ethylene-glycol based antifreeze suitable for mixed metal cooling systems

Hope you did not just pour in antifreeze in your radiator  grin.

Having antifreeze in your radiator will do you a lot of good.

Cheers
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2010
radiator coolant is very bad.it doesn't do anything

Can you tender documented evidence to back this claim

Antifreeze is not meant to stop overheating sir. Go read about it, then you come back to the forum and correct your claim
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 1:32pm On Apr 01, 2010
Some Clarifications:

Coolant  is any fluid whose purpose is to transfer heat away from the engine.

-Water is a coolant on its own. I guess you mean ANTIFREEZE. Antifreeze does not prevent  overheating

The purpose for adding ethylene-glycol antifreeze, like Kunle rightly said is to prevent corrosion, and also to lower freezing point of water to as low as -55 degrees Celsius during cold weather(winter). Cold weather is not an issue in Naija.

Using antifreeze in Naija should be to prevent corrosion. Always use ethylene-glycol based antifreeze cos its suitable for multi metal cooling systems.
Most people in Naija do not pour antifreeze into their radiators, that is why the water is always brown. This is a sign of internal corrosion.
Check most tokunbo cars, the coolant from the radiator is light blue, no brown colour.

Note:
The heat transfer capacity of a coolant mixture of water and ethylene glycol is less than that of pure water. Adding antifreeze to your cooling system implies less heat will be removed from your engine. Your engine will be hotter (hence the temperature rise you observed). To prevent this temp rise, you have to increase the volume of coolant fluid by about 16%.

@poster: I hope you did not fill your radiator with antifreeze only 
A 10:1 volume ratio of water and antifreeze should be okay for corrosion prevention

Cheers
Re: deleted by PaulEdoze: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
@ Jucol
You too much.
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 2:25pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Paul Edoze: Dats the beauty of this forum :More of a classroom than a market place grin grin
Re: deleted by ireneann: 7:09pm On Apr 01, 2010
Thanks all for your contributions. As for me this is the last time am using any coolant. From now on it's PURE WATER all the way grin grin grin
Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 8:00pm On Apr 01, 2010
Jucol:

Some Clarifications:

Coolant is any fluid whose purpose is to transfer heat away from the engine.

-Water is a coolant on its own. I guess you mean ANTIFREEZE. Antifreeze does not prevent overheating

The purpose for adding ethylene-glycol antifreeze, like Kunle rightly said is to prevent corrosion, and also to lower freezing point of water to as low as -55 degrees Celsius during cold weather(winter). Cold weather is not an issue in Naija.

Using antifreeze in Naija should be to prevent corrosion. Always use ethylene-glycol based antifreeze cos its suitable for multi metal cooling systems.
Most people in Naija do not pour antifreeze into their radiators, that is why the water is always brown. This is a sign of internal corrosion.
Check most tokunbo cars, the coolant from the radiator is light blue, no brown colour.

Note:
The heat transfer capacity of a coolant mixture of water and ethylene glycol is less than that of pure water. Adding antifreeze to your cooling system implies less heat will be removed from your engine. Your engine will be hotter (hence the temperature rise you observed). To prevent this temp rise, you have to increase the volume of coolant fluid by about 16%.

@poster: I hope you did not fill your radiator with antifreeze only
A 10:1 volume ratio of water and antifreeze should be okay for corrosion prevention

Cheers

Abeg,we are not talking about bringing fact from the internet.We are talking about reality.What i highlighted above is true and real.so take it or leave it
Re: deleted by Onwan: 8:33pm On Apr 01, 2010
I think there is a point the poster and the general house might need to note;

Radiator coolants are the best help and a must for most radiators and a vehicle's cooling system. The only thing about it is that the application of coolants is in a mixture with water; there are ratios varying from one manufacturer to another.

You cant just fill up your vehicle with a coolant, it has to be a mixture of water and the coolant; and the ratio is defined in your vehicle's owner's manual OR you can search for a recommended mixture online for your vehicle's brand and model.
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 8:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Chelseabmw
Abeg,we are not talking about bringing fact from the internet.We are talking about reality.What i highlighted above is true and real.so take it or leave it

I am happy you said "bringing fact", "reality". I hope you understand what "fact" means. "Fact" and "reality" go together. This forum will be a better place if you spent only 1% of the time you use in posting BUMP on each and every posting, to search the internet or any other source of information and come up with useful and educative facts.

Saying radiator coolant is very bad.it doesn't do anything, only portrays ignorance. You should appreciate that someone has the time to bring "fact from the internet" to educate you. Ones more sir: Antifreeze is not used for preventing overheating grin

Haba ! You cannot use paracetamol to treat diarrhoea
Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 11:05pm On Apr 01, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^

[size=20pt]Clap for urself, fact finder
i ve used radiator coolant so many times here in nigeria
u talk as if u aare not base in naija
radiator coolant here in nigeria are missed with water and some chemicals
the first day i used it on my bmw i remember how i sufferred.
so u can't compare reality(Nigeria) with the internet.

nigeria will always be nigeria

also whats ur bleeping business if i post bump on each post on auto section.it doesn't concern u because u are a free user of nairaland like every one else excluding me smiley.People like u like finding fault and also want to be noticed.If u want to be noticed then u have succeeded.I believe u are ignorant of the fact that u are comparing a nigerian used car and a pre order car.Abeg take time study naija well before u open ur wide mouth
[/size]
Re: deleted by sultaan(m): 11:42pm On Apr 01, 2010
Chem 101.

Effect of Glycol on pure(distilled)

Elevation of boiling point & depression of freezing point i.e. With 50%glycol(70% max for Alaska region grin) your radiator fluid will freeze below 0c evaporate above 100c.

So in very cold temp it will act as antifreeze and at hot temp act as coolant, so you just increased the effective range of your fluid.

Water alone has ions which promotes rust in engine & radiator. Imagine the outside of an engine block that gets brown and dirty over time with rusts or and piece of steel. Then take a look at those Aluminim pots you cook with see how smooth and shiny the inside was when new and how its all rough and pitted now(where did all that missing bits go?).Engine runs they move around, engine stops they settled down and build up, soon the coils in radiator gets clogged up and car overheats. With enough rust you get leaks and gasket failure.

@ Poster
Can't tell what they sell in naija as coolant, but you had a air pocket when you changed fluid, that is why you added more after the pocket got filled. The system should be closed unless you had a leak.
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 11:53pm On Apr 01, 2010
@Chelseabmw
There is no reason to be abusive. We should be working towards the same goal here i.e spreading knowledge. "I like to learn , but I hate to be taught nonesence" The more you talk the more you expose some,  grin grin.
Is the radiator in your BMW different from the radiator in that same BMW in Cairo, Johannesburg, Jerusalem abi Jericho? No sir.
Are those "coolants" made in naija?? No sir.

the first day i used it on my bmw i remember how i sufferred.
Why did you then continue using it several times?

what are those chemicals? you should read the instructions on the container b4 you use it. If we are still talking about ANTIFREEZE, it is not for over heating sir.
nigeria will always be nigeria
  for people like you who don't wanna learn from mistakes( sorry if am talking hard now )
Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 12:25am On Apr 02, 2010
@jucol
Rubbish, am out of here, Maybe i dont know what u guys are talking about.Tell me just pretend.
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:45am On Apr 02, 2010
@ chelseabmw.
grin grin grin i guess you sincerely don't know and adamantly don't wanna know grin
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:45am On Apr 02, 2010
Chem 101.

Elevation of boiling point & depression of freezing point i.e. With 50%glycol(70% max for Alaska region Grin) your radiator fluid will freeze below 0c evaporate above 100c.

So in very cold temp it will act as antifreeze and at hot temp act as coolant, so you just increased the effective range of your fluid.

Thanks for the nice research.
Remember we took that course together grin grin! This is similar to the effects of impurities on boiling and freezing points of water. Here the "impurity" is glycol.
While you excused yourself to blow your nose outside, the Professor explained the elevation and depression phenomena thus:
Depression: pure water will freeze @ 0 Celsius. But an about 50% glycol water mix will still be liquid till about - 40 C.

Elevation: pure water evaporates at 100C, but a 50% water/glycol mix will not evaporate at 100C. The mixture will still be liquid at temp greater than 100c, may be 120C or more. He did not say grin. Yes, you increase the working range of your coolant.

The good old Professor DID not say that the coolant mixture will act as a coolant at hot temp. The cooling effect is strictly a function of the Specific heat capacity of the fluid. For water it is 4.184KJ/KgK , and for glycol 2.38KJ/KgK. The effective heat capacity of the water/glycol mix becomes lower than that of pure water. That is why you have to increase the amount of water/glycol mix to achieve same cooling effect as that of pure water

The water/glycol are only transferring heat from your engine to the heat exchanger unit (the radiator and fan), where the heat is given off to the surroundings, and the mixture flows back to the engine to pick up more heat. The cycle continues. FINITO grin grin ;
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:54am On Apr 02, 2010
Chem 101.

Elevation of boiling point & depression of freezing point i.e. With 50%glycol(70% max for Alaska region Grin) your radiator fluid will freeze below 0c evaporate above 100c.

Remember we took that course together grin grin! This is similar to the effects of impurities on boiling and freezing points of water. Here the "impurity" is glycol.
While you excused yourself to blow your nose outside, the Professor explained the elevation and depression phenomena thus:
Depression: pure water will freeze @ 0 Celsius. But an about 50% glycol water mix will still be liquid till about - 40 C.

Elevation: pure water evaporates at 100C, but a 50% water/glycol mix will not evaporate at 100C. The mixture will still be liquid at temp greater than 100c, may be 120C or more. He did not say grin. Yes, you increase the working range of your coolant.

The good old Professor DID not say that the coolant mixture will act as a coolant at hot temp. The cooling effect is strictly a function of the Specific heat capacity of the fluid. For water it is 4.184KJ/KgK , and for glycol 2.38KJ/KgK. The effective heat capacity of the water/glycol mix becomes lower than that of pure water. That is why you have to increase the amount of water/glycol mix to achieve same cooling effect as that of pure water

The water/glycol are only transferring heat from your engine to the heat exchanger unit (the radiator and fan), where the heat is given off to the surroundings, and the mixture flows back to the engine to pick up more heat. The cycle continues. FINITO grin grin ;
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 12:56am On Apr 02, 2010
Chem 101.

Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 1:16am On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^^^^^^
u are absolutely right, grin grin
Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 2:14am On Apr 02, 2010
Chem 101.

Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 2:19am On Apr 02, 2010
quote]Chem 101.

[quote][/quote]

Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 2:59am On Apr 02, 2010
@sultaan

Chem 101

Re: deleted by Articlife: 3:01am On Apr 02, 2010
quote]Chem 101.

[quote][/quote]

Re: deleted by Jucol(m): 11:55am On Apr 02, 2010
@ Sultaan

Remember I took that same course with you. This topic is similar to "The effect of impurities on the freezing and boiling points of water" Glycol is the "impurity" here.
On that day when this topic was discussed, you left the classroom b4 the good old Professor.

He explained thus:

Re: deleted by hooged: 12:05pm On Apr 03, 2010
@chelseabmw, i've neva read any reasonable post from you.
Re: deleted by snowdrops(m): 12:17pm On Apr 03, 2010
hooged:

seconded
Re: deleted by chelseabmw(m): 2:06pm On Apr 03, 2010
hooged:

Thats because i dont leave at ijesha.U live in a village so i dont expect my post to be reasonable to ur dumb head[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Siena's Project Volvo V70 - Snatched From The Jaws Of Death! / How Much Do Uber Drivers Make Weekly In Nigeria? / Myths Or Facts: Are Car Fires Work Of The Village People Or Just Carelessness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.