Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,765 members, 7,820,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

deleted - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / deleted (8679 Views)

Has Lomomike Deleted His Nairaland Account? / Deleted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: deleted by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 04, 2010
Ok, got you.

I'd buy the oil here then, and pack it into my checked-in luggage.
Re: deleted by axeman85(m): 6:19pm On Apr 04, 2010
Siena:

Ok, got you.

I'd buy the oil here then, and pack it into my checked-in luggage.

yes thats my plan asit might be best. anyway nice profile picture. i can see Mr & Mrs siena playing love in euston station. lol. Happy easter
Re: deleted by mendax: 11:20pm On Apr 04, 2010
@poster,

well, many of the previous posts on chemistry, engg and personal experiences are relevant, but i just wanted to add that; its very important to note that after having a good ratio of coolant and water, some cars require u to bleed the radiator if not the car would start overheating, even if ur fan, top-gasket etc are in perfect order

for the bleeding aspect, just meet ur mechanic

hope this hleps
Re: deleted by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 05, 2010
axeman85:

yes thats my plan asit might be best. anyway nice profile picture. i can see Mr & Mrs siena playing love in euston station. lol. Happy easter

Thanks bro, Happy Easter to you and yours too. smiley

As per the location, that was London Liverpool Street station. wink
Re: deleted by kcblast(m): 2:06pm On Apr 05, 2010
well well well ,all u got 2 do is carry big bowel of raw garry and a flask of soup, cos u got enuf boiling water or maybe chocolate drink or pap or custard, list are endless,so far there is boiling water from d engine. cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin wink shocked
Anyway,Mgbuka people{machanic society at onitsha} will not go hungry cool
Re: deleted by kcblast(m): 2:08pm On Apr 05, 2010
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-Xlol lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 4:35pm On Apr 05, 2010
axeman85:

thanks bro. jst being scared of buying engine oil in naija. as in the past back in 2003 thereabout i bough engine oil from those guys in ikeja before computer village and i did the servicing of the car and drove the car to ibadan, believe it on my way back the car engine knocked as the engine oil dried up inside the engine. thats why was hoping to buy the things from here for stats until i locate a reliable place to get future parts in naija and if not will continue to source from uk here when i come round.
True talk, all the Oils in 9ja are fake,thier viscosity is same as that of vegitable oil,try and buy from the Uk,repackage it,then you are good to go, thats what I did.
Re: deleted by KunleA2(m): 5:05pm On Apr 05, 2010
erico2k2:

True talk, all the Oils in 9ja are fake,thier viscosity is same as that of vegitable oil,try and buy from the Uk,repackage it,then you are good to go, thats what I did.

What if you buy at the petrol stations? Total? Mobil? Oando? etc
Re: deleted by Onwan: 6:27pm On Apr 05, 2010
I can vouch for the Mobil1 oil and fuel treatment I buy from Mobil petrol station though (Maryland Mr. Biggs to be precise) - they are 100%
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 9:02pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

I can vouch for the Mobil1 oil and fuel treatment I buy from Mobil petrol station though (Maryland Mr. Biggs to be precise) - they are 100%
Kunle-A:

What if you buy at the petrol stations? Total? Mobil? Oando? etc
can I ask both of you something,how long do you have to use these Oils before you change them!
waiting for your honest replies.
Re: deleted by KunleA2(m): 9:53pm On Apr 05, 2010
erico2k2:

can I ask both of you something,how long do you have to use these Oils before you change them!
waiting for your honest replies.

i am just asking a question. i don't live in Naija. Just want to know
Re: deleted by Onwan: 10:00pm On Apr 05, 2010
@eriko2k2
I use the Mobil1 on my S500 which calculates on my usage of the vehicle to an oil change and servicing in about 6 months (Service A). The fact is that you cannot generalize these things about engine oils in Nigeria. At Mobil for instance, you buy a Gallon for 7,200 IF they are doing the oil change for you and 7,500 if you are taking it away.

The truth is that the standard/top quality of these things are in Nigeria, just like the sub-standards, this is not just a case with Nigeria, you have these issues in other countries too. You can walk into a shop in Ladipo for instance and they offer you a pack of spark plugs for 1,500 and offer you another for 6,500 - most people go for the cheaper one and end up complaining of fake products. Just the same way you walk into a shop or a petrol station and they tell you a particular gallon and make of engine oil is 2,700 and another is 5,500 while another is 7,500.

So you see, Its relative.
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 10:19pm On Apr 05, 2010
Kunle-A:

i am just asking a question. i don't live in Naija. Just want to know
Mr Kunle-A,this question is regardless of where ever you live even if its planet mars its still same stuff, so could you kindly tell me plz, we are all here to learn,an Engine is sealed,the only thing that goes on inside is motion and chemical reaction so its same for all location.
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 10:23pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

@eriko2k2
I use the Mobil1 on my S500 which calculates on my usage of the vehicle to an oil change and servicing in about 6 months (Service A). The fact is that you cannot generalize these things about engine oils in Nigeria. At Mobil for instance, you buy a Gallon for 7,200 IF they are doing the oil change for you and 7,500 if you are taking it away.

The truth is that the standard/top quality of these things are in Nigeria, just like the sub-standards, this is not just a case with Nigeria, you have these issues in other countries too. You can walk into a shop in Ladipo for instance and they offer you a pack of spark plugs for 1,500 and offer you another for 6,500 - most people go for the cheaper one and end up complaining of fake products. Just the same way you walk into a shop or a petrol station and they tell you a particular gallon and make of engine oil is 2,700 and another is 5,500 while another is 7,500.

So you see, Its relative.
I feel you on that one, but my point was that with a top Oil,changing times should be once you have done 3000 miles/5000Km,thats EU standard,cos I have seen people change thier oils on one long trip lol,by the way what car is S500?
Re: deleted by eros(m): 10:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
I use Mobil XHP and total coolant on my 2001 Acura TL for over 10 months now and never had any issues with it. I will suggest you try out the Mobil 1 or XHP. They are of high quality and can hardly be adulterated.
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 10:35pm On Apr 05, 2010
hmmm it seems Mobil1 is a winner guys.But if someone has the option to buy from the Uk I think he should stick with it.
Re: deleted by Onwan: 10:38pm On Apr 05, 2010
@eriko2k2
The mileage for oil change is an engine/manufacturer's specification and recommendation; its not an EU or like a state/country regulation thing, Its just what a manufacturer recommends for for the user to enjoy a lasting performance from their brand/model of vehicle. most manufacturers recommend 3,500Miles.

Its a Mercedes Benz S500.
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 11:10pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

@eriko2k2
The mileage for oil change is an engine/manufacturer's specification and recommendation; its not an EU or like a state/country regulation thing, Its just what a manufacturer recommends for for the user to enjoy a lasting performance from their brand/model of vehicle. most manufacturers recommend 3,500Miles.

Its a Mercedes Benz S500.
oh the Mec S500,I see, oh yeh you are right bout the milage/oil change thing, I just like stating what Im sure off cos I have only driven in the EU and well Nigeria so hence I was refering to EU,my fear of Oils in Nigeria though are that of sluge or black death,I expirienced this with a BMW325 I used in 9ja last year,it was,nt funy at all.
Re: deleted by Onwan: 7:49am On Apr 06, 2010
@eriko2k2
Sorry about your BMW; for cars like that (and mot cars generally), its better to be concerned with what you a mechanic uses on them, like the engine oil. The mistake most make is to hand the vehicles over for servicing without being involved.

For me, mobility is key and I invest time in finding out the right spares and kits for my rides.
Re: deleted by ireneann: 11:46am On Apr 06, 2010
deleted
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 12:28pm On Apr 06, 2010
ireneann:

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this question. It only shows that we are still our brothers keepers. The reason the car was overheating was as a result of air pocket in the radiator.

I drove the car back from the east on Sunday and it was purring and eating up the miles with the temperature gauge not moving an inch above its normal position and this was with the air-condition at full blast.

Once again I want to say thanks to everyone who contributed. And for those fighting grin I say take am easy oh. E neva reach that stage na grin grin grin ;

Shalom!!!
Cool so it was bleeding you needed then, all good,enjoy your ride in style.
Re: deleted by ireneann: 1:07pm On Apr 06, 2010
deleted
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 1:39pm On Apr 06, 2010
lol DOuble cell al the way, them single celled radiator are a thing of the past,I had to change mine while I was in 9ja last year,anyway,mine got bursted for diff reason thoug.
Re: deleted by Onwan: 6:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
@Ireneann
Its still key you get the right mixture of water and coolant for your vehicle. And avoid those coolants that already leaking; typically in blue plastic bottles - they are simply detergent + water.
Re: deleted by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 06, 2010
ireneann:

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this question. It only shows that we are still our brothers keepers. The reason the car was overheating was as a result of air pocket in the radiator.

Pretty much as I thought, glad you got it sorted out.
Re: deleted by ireneann: 8:15am On Apr 07, 2010
Onwan:

@Ireneann
Its still key you get the right mixture of water and coolant for your vehicle. And avoid those coolants that already leaking; typically in blue plastic bottles - they are simply detergent + water.

Siena:

Pretty much as I thought, glad you got it sorted out.

Onwan and Siena thanks for your contributions.
Re: deleted by mendax: 9:14am On Apr 07, 2010
ireneann:

I drove the car back from the east on Sunday and it was purring and eating up the miles with the temperature gauge not moving an inch above its normal position and this was with the air-condition at full blast.

Once again I want to say thanks to everyone who contributed. And for those fighting grin I say take am easy oh. E neva reach that stage na grin grin grin ;

Shalom!!!

@poster, there goes, i guessed u needed to bleed the radiator cos i once had a similar problem. i am also glad u had it sorted out. but u must also be careful to always fill your radiator to the exact gauge level.  if for any reason u fill up the radiator higher than the required level, u'll have to bleed it again (remove the airpockets), if not u are back to square one and your mechanic wuld hav money to chop again

cheers
Re: deleted by jokingmary(m): 9:06pm On Apr 07, 2010
well all i know is that if my car is heating then i use radiator coolant
i don't know if it is good or bad cool
Re: deleted by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 07, 2010
jokingmary:

well all i know is that if my car is heating then i use radiator coolant
i don't know if it is good or bad cool

You're asking a question, that's already been answered in this thread.

Read from page 1.
Re: deleted by Onwan: 4:02pm On Apr 08, 2010
@Jokingmary
The fact is that the coolant is a must for vehicles - Only thing is that it should be applied with the right mixture of water after a complete drainage.
Re: deleted by Ikenna351(m): 11:07pm On Oct 22, 2010
Hi everyone. Am Ikenna and new in this forum.

I have read from this first page to the last of this thread and I have few points to make.

For those that attacked Chelseabmw, you were wrong. The point he raised was right. For those of us that do the repairs of our cars by ourselves, we do know that what is obtainable in other parts of the world is completly not the same here in Nigeria. I myself have seen a lot of coolant in the market and trust me, I dont trust any. Yes, Jucol, they might be produced outside Nigeria, but quality differs. Writing out theories of Physics and Chemistry to back up your claims here does not work. What you should have suggested earlier to Ireneann is the quality coolant or good one in Nigerian market he should go for. Because as far as Nigerian marketeters or retailers are concerned, all are of good qualities. Even the well pronounced fake ones by mere looking at them. Chealseabmw was speaking out of experience, not some theories, and you, Jucol, was there making him looked like an idiot, That was unfair. I have never used one, coolant, and I never had any issue with my cooling system . But that does not mean I didnt want to, but adding a chemical that will messed up my engine was not what I was ready to entertain. Not that I never believe the function of antifreeze/coolant, but as far as Nigeria is concerned, it was too risky to give it a trial, when one had suffered under the hands of wicked retailers in our markets with, fake auto addititives and spare parts. yes I acknowledge your point that water only in radiators causes corrosion/rust in radiators and engineblocks(around piston liners). Though, coolant or no coolant, rust in radiators or no rust, it all depends on the make of the car. The Peugeot, 504 and 505 I was using then never, I mean, never gave me such problem. Thats why am still hanging onto earlier Peugeots, because i just ordered and paid for Peugeot 505 V6 5 speed manual transmission, with even fire PRV ZN3J V6 engine, engine simlar to one used by Volvo 780, which am expecting soon. This time, I intend to use coolant(50/50 mixture with water) , not because of anyother thing but to prevent rust in the Radiotor and around the Piston Liners in the engine blocks. Since you guys said that Total has and sells coolant, I will start with that brand and see what happens. So please all, stop comparing products in Nigerian markets and the western world markets, they can never be the same.

Ikenna.
Re: deleted by erico2k2(m): 5:27pm On Oct 23, 2010
@ikenna351
most of what you are sugesting here had already been answered in the beginning of this thread, but regarding the rusty radiators you where talking about, what materials was it made of,most radiators are mae of aloys that dont react with water which means they cant rust and they have high resistance to heat,further more there are retailers who sell imported products in the Nigerian market moreso, the term Antifreeze does not apply to Nigeria,
ie Antifreeze menas preventing something from freezing,now we dont have any kind of weatehr that could make the water in your radiator or engine freeze.
lastly the internal Engin temperatur is same for same spec of vehicle world wide in full working capacity and average speed regardless of where they are.(check temp gauge in the car)nidle stays in the middle
here in the Uk the number one cause of likky rads are chips on the road.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List your Auto Mechanic Workshop and Your Services here (mymoto.com.ng) / Takata Reportedly Filing For Bankruptcy This Week. / Whats Your Worst Experiences As A Learner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.