Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns (19902 Views)

Pope Benedict XVI Cured My Cancer / Lightning Strikes As Pope Benedict Resigns / Pope Benedict To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by SkySpirit(m): 10:02am On Apr 01, 2010
In a move that is unprecedented in modern history of the papacy, Pope Benedict (XVI) has resigned his position as the leader of the over one billion Catholics worldwide. In a letter he sent to the College of Cardinals, the Pope acknowledged that the recent wave of scandals involving Catholic priests has made it impossible for him to do the job he was elected to do. “I feel personally responsible for letting pedophilic priests who molested young boys to go free,” the Pope wrote. “Instead of being punished for the atrocities they committed, they got protection from Bishops and other church leaders like me.”

In the last few weeks, Pope Benedict has been accused of doing nothing about the molestation of kids by priests while serving as the Archbishop of Munich and Freising in his home country, Germany. Memos to the then Cardinal from Fr. Gerhard Gruber have recently been published in the media to the embarrassment of the Vatican. Also as Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, he received complaints from American Bishops and other church leaders round the world but was too busy enforcing church doctrines that he failed to take action.

Last month, several news organizations revealed documents on how Rev. Lawrence C. Murphy molested over a 200 deaf boys from Wisconsin. The scandal was reported to the then Cardinal Ratzinger by the archbishop of Wisconsin asking the Vatican to defrock the priest. But Cardinal Ratzinger ignored the plea.

What is more shocking in Pope Benedict’s resignation letter was his decision to spend the rest of his life fighting to reform the Catholic Church.

“For the rest of my life,” the Pope wrote, “I will work to ensure that priests can marry, if they want; that women are allowed to be priest in the church; and to make sure that our great church softens its stance on social issues like gay marriage, condom use and abortion.”

Just last month, at the heat of the child abuse controversies, the Pope sent a Pastoral Letter to the Catholic Church in Ireland addressing abuse of minors by Catholic priests in the country. That letter and other push backs by the Vatican did little to steam the rash of anger towards the church by Catholics around the globe.

The news of the Pope’s resignation has spurred an immediate campaign by Italians cardinals to retake the position of the Pope. The campaign is going on despite Pope Benedict’s suggestion in his resignation letter that the College of Cardinals might be well served if it looks outside Europe for his replacement.

Speaking to Zero News Network (ZNN), the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Rowan Williams said, “This is a sad day for the whole church of Christ.” He added that he hoped that the Catholic Church would survive this and come out stronger than ever.

In his reaction, the General Overseers of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Rev. Enoch Adebayo said to ZNN, “Please, tell me this is April fool.”

http://www.saharareporters.com/news/5677-pope-benedict-xvi-resigns.html
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by SamMilla1(m): 12:31pm On Apr 01, 2010
april fool
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by agboifo(f): 12:41pm On Apr 01, 2010
And a very unscrupulous joke at that.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by gidson12(m): 12:46pm On Apr 01, 2010
Na catholic turn 2 Bleep up  now, muslim own go soon come up again. This world don finish
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by SamMilla1(m): 12:48pm On Apr 01, 2010
agboifo:

And a very unscrupulous joke at that.

gidson12:

Na catholic turn 2 bleep up  now, muslim own go soon come up again. This world don finish

The way you peeps cling to religion makes me wonder if you will ever liberate your blocked minds.
This is April Fool and i dont care whoever they chose to write about it.
Pope or Muhammed.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by brilantio: 12:51pm On Apr 01, 2010
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by gidson12(m): 12:53pm On Apr 01, 2010
Na catholic turn 2 Bleep up now, muslim own go soon come up again. This world don finish
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by tomelistic(f): 1:01pm On Apr 01, 2010
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by tobiit(m): 1:03pm On Apr 01, 2010
Stop spreading scrap if its a joke, u've just got me shocked
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by koolpal(m): 1:10pm On Apr 01, 2010
olodoooooooooo cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by akwaowoudo(m): 1:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
My friends,
The resignation isn't that of Pope Benedict (xvi) but rather that of his private secretary Irish Bishop John Magee. Before now John Magee has been a 3 times private secretary to 3 different popes. John Magee was involved in series of Child Sex Abuse Scandal. Hence, the Bishop's resignation; kindly ignore that newspaper publication and surf through the internet for accurate information. -+2348032640895.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by IkaBoy1(m): 1:21pm On Apr 01, 2010
If this is a joke.u taken it too far .Pls poster i want the facts
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by oluagness(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2010
April foooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllll, I guest!
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by Afam4eva(m): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2010
I actually fell for it. The article was well written. It sounded like some from the New york times.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by Fhemmmy: 1:32pm On Apr 01, 2010
Another April fool that aint fooling
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by iyerim: 1:37pm On Apr 01, 2010
This is absolutely false.Coming from sahara reporters, i am highly disappointed as it calls to question all previous articles from them.

Since april fool ends by 12:00 noon i will advice the moderators aisha and kosovo to pls remove this piece from further circulation as it is extremely offensive,
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by Fhemmmy: 1:38pm On Apr 01, 2010
iyerim:

This is absolutely false.Coming from sahara reporters, i am highly disappointed as it calls to question all previous articles from them.

Since april fool ends by 12:00 noon i will advice the moderators aisha and kosovo to pls remove this piece from further circulation as it is extremely offensive,

We need to learn to accommodate some joke
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by snowdrops(m): 1:39pm On Apr 01, 2010
So whats the next ridiculous story to make the front page?
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by otukpo(f): 1:39pm On Apr 01, 2010
April fool and shld be removed immediately cos its past noon.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by snowdrops(m): 1:40pm On Apr 01, 2010
Fhemmmy:

We need to learn to accommodate some joke
There are jokes and there are jokes. But some are simply bizarre and distasteful.

So whats going to be the next one? That the pope is a convicted murderer/paedophile? You may find that funny as well.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by otukpo(f): 1:56pm On Apr 01, 2010
This is not a funny April fool.
Pls stop this nonsense
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by gidson12(m): 1:59pm On Apr 01, 2010
They said that to know if a fish is bad smell the head. Well the catholic bishops are really misbehaving, cases of child abuse poping up here n there, na wa o, this is wat we would keep hearing when ppl say they wount get married
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by victorazy(m): 2:01pm On Apr 01, 2010
Ridiculous. Can someone plz stop this b4 Amadioha strike
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by sulad82i(m): 2:05pm On Apr 01, 2010
Why is everybody so involve in this April fool thing. My mother inlaw just call me for the same thing.
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by sulad82i(m): 2:06pm On Apr 01, 2010
victorazy:

Ridiculous. Can someone plz stop this b4 Amadioha strike

Victorcrazy gerrout there and sharap
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by envee(f): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2010
Not the best choice of Pranks,
, so not cool!
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by victorazy(m): 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
gidson12:

They said that to know if a fish is bad smell the head. Well the catholic bishops are really misbehaving, cases of child abuse poping up here n there, na wa o, this is wat we would keep hearing when ppl say they wount get married

My brother, is difficult to cheat nature. If we guys cant stay without making love to woman in one week, how will it be to a man to stay 1,2,20,50 years without entering woman's cloak?
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by victorazy(m): 2:17pm On Apr 01, 2010
sulad82i:

Victorcrazy gerrout there and sharap

ur showing ur tallent "yash" like u
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by ZUBBYNWA(m): 2:54pm On Apr 01, 2010
@poster, pls stop that
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Apr 01, 2010
Lol ^^^
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by kay9(m): 3:29pm On Apr 01, 2010
envee:

Not the best choice of Pranks,
, so not cool!

otukpo:

This is not a funny April fool.
Pls stop this nonsense

victorazy:

your showing your tallent "yash" like u

ZUBBYNWA:

@poster, pls stop that

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Guys, guys, chill out already, its just a joke! Fact is, the seriousness y'all are attaching to it even makes it funnier! LWKMD!!
Re: Pope Benedict (xvi) Resigns by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Apr 01, 2010
kay9:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Guys, guyy!! Chill out already, its just a joke! Fact is, the seriousness y'all are attaching to it even makes it funnier! LWKMD!!

True that

(1) (2) (3)

Can I Make Heaven Without Going To Church? / Alert: Spirits Of Sodom & Gomorrah Have Been Poured Out. Rapture Is Imminent. / COVID-19: Winner’s Chapel, Daystar To Have Physical Church Service Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.