Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? (12980 Views)

Boyfriend/Girlfriend Relationship, Also Known As Dating: Is It Right Or Wrong? / House On The Rock Communion Day Outfits: Right Or Wrong? (Pics) / Church Using POS To Collect Tithes And Offerings. Right Or Wrong? (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Phalldhe: 12:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
I think the nation should look into the way of cremation.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Lukgaf(m): 12:52pm On Dec 17, 2017
amnesty7:
Extravagantly, you mean.
thanks bro
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
it all depends on whom respect and honour is due to.,,do your burial according to your means and pocket.?.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by AreaFada2: 12:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
2horsePOWER:
Are there any religious backing?
is it even right?
why spend so much money?
Yes, it is certain everybody will die, death is sure
but is death really worth celebrating
Lately,I have been thinking if thr's really the need for it.
Why not just drop the dead 6ft underground and thats it! everybody leave for their home.
Instead of disturbing the dead with so much noise.

What are your views?

I think we Africans are a bit confused and currently at cross-roads.

We largely profess middle eastern religions these days, condemning our culture when it suits us. But all these ceremonies have to do with our culture. Of which our traditional region is actually a part. Because our native religion sprang out our cultural and social state.

In the Nigerian mind, it is about given the dead a "befitting" burial. Going out with a bang.

I wonder if the number of cows and volume of food and drinks people consume make it befitting.

How about ensuring the person lives a befitting life?
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by olagoke157(m): 12:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
hakeem4:

I believe it’s just part of the African mentality where we celebrate almost anything.
1) we buy car - we celebrate
2) build house - we celebrate
3) give birth - we celebrate
Birthday - we celebrate
It’s just our mentality

I agree with you
Even wEddings sef

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by zomby(m): 1:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
The way folks chose to bury their family members is none of your business.
If you want to bury your loved ones inside a gutter that is your business.
Leave people alone and let them make their decisions while you make yours.

Some spend money on burial, some other folks spend money on cars/ house, while others will rather spend their money on run girls and weed.

It is a free world, spend your money whichever way you want... and stop hating!

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by eyinjuege: 1:38pm On Dec 17, 2017
If you don't have to go and borrow to do so, or steal to bury the dead or engage in other illegal or wicked activities, then its your business how you decide to bury the dead.
Its your money, do with it how you deem fit.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Revolva(m): 1:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
when person de alive dem no go help am with d money na when he die..nonsense
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by mastermaestro(m): 2:12pm On Dec 17, 2017
safarigirl:
do you know how many living people will be fed at someone's burial?

Do you kniw how many poor people will getv money from picking from whatever someone else has sprayed on a burial day?

If you do a quiet burial, you will not feed anyone, nobody will benefit from you that day and the whole village will curse your family for being stingy grin

Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by FAMKAY21(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY, YOU TENDS TO SEE ALL SPENDINGS AS BAD AS YOUR STATE...
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Lomprico2: 2:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
aaronson:
Left to me, there are many ceremonies that are so worthless of celebrating, celebration such as Burial, Naming Ceremony, Christmas, Birthday, babyshower, bridal shower, Bachelors eve and remembrance.

They don't make no single sense.

Ama jehova wink
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Abidal2017: 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2017
Anyone that celebrates the dead in money term(lavish) it means such person has been longing to see the person died and is happy seeing his/her love one die
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
If you have the money spend, if you don't have the money don't borrow money or take loan.It is only in Nigeria that i have seen burial rice,burial cloth or canopy are they celebrating the person's death?why were all these monies not used in the person's lifetime.Abroad everybody wears black,take flower and bury the person,that is it.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Olabenjamen22(m): 3:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
amnesty7:

Why should they?

You dey ask me?
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Ruggedpen: 5:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
There is one thing people doesn't know about this things called burial, is more than what you are seeing during that celebration, I lost my dad because of that rubbish celebration, most people are set up to die during burial.
What happen there is that the olden days people gathered and agreed that anybody that dies this things are the list of things what they will bring to shared among the elders and they consult the gods to kill anybody that test anything without giving his/her own whenever they lost anybody. So if you do anything without consulting them the gods will come for you. Those things without destroying them, pls ask questions about your village burial rite, we don't have money but my mother's burial cost us 1:2m to avoid any other stories. Cause we are novice in village settings.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by ezeeii: 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
Vanity upon vanity
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by labiola: 6:11pm On Dec 17, 2017
If you fail to take good care of your parents while alive, any lavish spending is a waste of money and you have acted foolishly.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Rockyrascal(m): 6:13pm On Dec 17, 2017
Troblem:
My name is Troblem.

I hav been in existnt far b4 d thougth of ur conception,

why do u celebrate some1 lyk usain bolt who ran 4 57 sec and stopped,yet question the ceremony of som1 who died and for the next thousand yrs will decay into Biofuel n become a revenue to the organizd govmt, do nt attach so much importance to thngs of volatile worth,look up things livor mortis,i hope to bring discomfort for i am troblem and i bring hope if u embrace me.
what is this one saying
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Dnockeror333(m): 6:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
Words of the Cultureless and Godly Dead:

"Even though I tye a wrapper before I exit this temporal place, this place of trial for a crown, lay me down immediatly not more than 24hour after my women and babies had cried out their voices, immediatly without funfare!

Dont touch me!

"Just dig a ground, let my relations dig d ground. Do not allow a stranger to do it nor allow `d sons of pall bearers' to dig the grave and handle a costly coffin! For who? No...! This is my own body! Naked I came naked I should go. No coffin! A costly coffin that maggots and termites will spoil in 30days!- Follies of our children!!!

Put some bamboo together, lay my body on it, do not pull off my last wrapper, tye it harder, even though I took my bath in three days time (does the ground where bodies are layed take bath? Why worry 2 give bath 2 our naked body then, why allow ferocious eyes to see the mandrake and bum dat sexed d hole of a living or dead?) bury me immediatly. Dat I may turn & bless d land. Nt in rage but in smiles.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Dsuper1: 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2017
To me burial ceremony is wasteful of resources. Better to spend the money when the dead is still alive to care or use it to empower the needy in the family or around.
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by Dnockeror333(m): 6:36pm On Dec 17, 2017
[quote author=mastermaestro post=63363346][/quote]

You can share things to the poor and needy later. You can dance to tears from outsiders later. But do not waste anything for our sake, so that our souls journey from the Earth may be in smiles and not in sadness- looking down at the waste our children wasted thier wealth upon!

Bury the dead quickly at death without any fun!

Is that dead body better than the soildiers who died on th battle feild unfound, or whose body was eaten by wild beasts, or whose body was burnth with accidental fire, or whose bodies were piled together and burried? or whose body was up on high cliffs?!!!

The poor people could hav our wealth but no fun, nor our bathings, nor cloth-removing to see our unclothedness, nor bloody injections, nor dancing, nor white cloth gifts must follow us! Or else looking down our spirit sorrow at this nuisance ou called culture- "culture of the dead"!!!
Re: What Is Your Take On Lavish Burial Ceremonies, Is It Right Or Wrong? by bhankymyk(m): 6:16pm On Dec 18, 2017
martineverest:
Absolutely wrong... Most of these ppl will never visit their parents in the village nor call them to know how they are faring, even when on sick bed they will never create time to visit, but they will have enough time to prepare for their burial. Same ppl will spend lavishly on ladies who never sweated for their upbringing. They will spend 10x more money organizing burials for their parents than when they were alive......

Don't forget that what goes around, comes around..... We will all get old someday
true talk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Judas And Demas: Examining Verses People Use To Say One Can Lose His Salvation / Swimming In Space By The Gravitational Waves - Mentioned In The Noble Quran / The Many Mistakes Of Apostle Paul's Teachings: Mistake No. 7 Correction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.