Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,782 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy (51579 Views)

Bashir El-rufai To NBA: Redirect Your Useless Invitation To Wike, Fayose / Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To Yusuf Buhari's Accident. Calls Buhari 'Pharaoh' / Fani-Kayode Reacts To Emergence Of Secondus, Atiku’s Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by manutdadex(m): 7:31pm On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
word of Paul grin grin .... But christians insist Bible is the word of God angry Corruption spotted. shocked shocked

For the fact that is int he bible means those women violated Biblical command. pls dont argue if another thread surfaces about Bible being God's word. I will bring this up to show double standard shocked
an eye for eye.. In d bible, anyone that commits adultery -stone to death. Also in d bible. But u don't christians doing it because its in d bible. Carpish
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by manutdadex(m): 7:37pm On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
where is the verse for this and what do you mean by @bold?
Luke 10 vs 38-41 ..mary chooses to listen to words from Jesus(things of d spirit) .. While martha was preparing foodfor Jesus (normal woman's chores) .
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 7:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
manutdadex:
an eye for eye.. In d bible, anyone that commits adultery -stone to death. Also in d bible. But u don't christians doing it because its in d bible. Carpish
Why are you shivering?. It doesn't take degree to understand why women are put in the back in our daily prayers. My spanish fiance before she converted to Islam asked me same question few yrs ago. She understood right away without further explanation, and she was not even practising christian. So i wonder whats wrong with Nigerian christians despite being surrounded by churches, you don't understand anything. Isn't your church which is mixed of males and females is now den of brothel?. Males and females now fvcking one another in church while screaming "the lord is good" cheesy

However, a woman may lead her fellow women in prayer. Prophet muhammad(saw) even explained to us why women should be at the back. He said because some men may not have enough cloth to cover himself. Therefore, when men are standing up from prostration, women should take a little time before lifting their heads to avoid seeing men's behind. By law of nature, men tend to have urge than women. They tend to make satirical comments (about women's shape) if they see women's backyard. Islam makes perfect sense unless you want to follow your desire. In your churches, you guys claim to worship but you are actually committing sins by holding non-related women, hugging non-related women in the name praising "praising the lord". At the end of the day, you end up with fornication or adultery, the same thing you just preached against in church. You guys are fantastic!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 7:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
manutdadex:
Luke 10 vs 38-41 ..mary chooses to listen to words from Jesus(things of d spirit) .. While martha was preparing foodfor Jesus (normal woman's chores) .
So?. Women in islam are free to exercise their spiritual rights. What's the big deal in that?. What your bible said is for women not to lead church goers. They must be silent in church. Today, 99.99% of churches violated this command.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by bkool7(m): 8:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
ednut1:
With all the pressing issues wey dey na hijab matter pple carry for head chai

Four years ago, it was a topical issue in the UK too .

Every secular state must have to address it at one point
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by bkool7(m): 8:19pm On Dec 18, 2017
highrank:
Femi Fani kayode needs an orientation ,Nigeria is not a secular state rather it is a multi religious state.A secular state does not believe in God but in Nigeria we have faith in God which clearly manifest in our National anthem." O God of creation direct our noble cause....."

Fani kayode should go and find out what is the meaning of secular state.Nigeria is a multi religious state which always observes holiday base on religion such as Christmas holiday,Mawlud holiday ,Eid fitril holiday e.t.c .It is lack of orientation that can make one to refer to Nigeria as a secular state.

Hijab is a constitutional right of Miss Firdaws Amasa and no one can denied her that. She is a Muslim lawyer not a lawyer Muslim she has been practising islam before studying law and not vice versa .Therefore she can not forsake Islam because of her profession.

I can only refer to those people who called themselves Muslims who are castigating sist. Firdaws because of her Hijab as hypocrites.They want to be westerners and modernists and still be Muslims, even when the Britons have consigned the wigs to the waste bins of history.
I am sorry , you aré wrong .

A secular state is simple a state not controlled or influenced by any particular religion or religious doctrine or principles .

The united states and France aré secular states and the eslogan of US is IN GOD WILL TRUST

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state

Nigeria is also a secular state too, but ironically our politicians have learned to use religion to manipulate , disintergrate and suppress the gullible populace largely for their political gains
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 8:21pm On Dec 18, 2017
Exactly

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Ayesa: 8:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
All the religious colouration and brouhaha associated with this girl's disobedience ought not to have been if you accept that putting on a nigerian gele or any addition or subtraction to the bar gown would have also resulted in her nonacceptance to the occasion
How nice it would have been if all these argument for and against could be deployed to good governance in the country
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Diademk07: 8:53pm On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
So?. Women in islam are free to exercise their spiritual rights. What's the big deal in that?. What your bible said is for women not to lead church goers. They must be silent in church. Today, 99.99% of churches violated this command.

Yet Priscilla taught Apollos the word of God and she was acknowledged as a minister by Paul.

I wonder when Paul's advice to a particular church who had lousy women at that time became an advice to every church.

Some are really roaming.

What did acts 2:17 says? Read below

In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

Funny enough it's Islam that forbid formal education to women, so I wonder what she's doing in law school in the first place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Vivere: 8:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
Diademk07:
Yet Priscilla taught Apollos the word of God and she was acknowledged as a minister by Paul.

I wonder when Paul's advice to a particular church who had lousy women at that time became an advice to every church.

Some are really roaming.

What did acts 2:7 says? Read below

In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

Funny enough it's Islam that forbid formal education for women, so I wonder what she's doing in law school in the first place.

Oh goodness, this is so funny..... grin

1 Like

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 8:59pm On Dec 18, 2017
Diademk07:

Some are really roaming.

What did acts 2:17 says? Read below

Funny enough it's Islam that forbid formal education to women, so I wonder what she's doing in law school in the first place.
God said this or Paul?. Now switch it around cheesy
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 9:03pm On Dec 18, 2017
Ayesa:
All the religious colouration and brouhaha associated with this girl's disobedience ought not to have been if you accept that putting on a nigerian gele or any addition or subtraction to the bar gown would have also resulted in her nonacceptance to the occasion
How nice it would have been if all these argument for and against could be deployed to good governance in the country
no one stopped them from putting on "gele". Let them try it. You will see that they themselves will stop putting on gele on occasion like this. Did they not try it cele gown out of jealousy for hijab in Osun state?. They themselves dumped it bcuz they realized it is only restricted to their church. But hijab is all time and anywhere
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Vivere: 9:23pm On Dec 18, 2017
Angelanest:
A Nigerian lawyer and community organizer, Franc Utoo, has weighed in on the trending Hijab controversy after Firdaus Amasa was denied being called to Bar in Abuja recently after she refused to remove her Hijab. Franc Utoo who once posed with Halima Buhari, the president's daughter in Hijab has shared his own take on the issue.

Read what he shared below;

CALL TO BAR:

Firdaus Amasa Up To A Veiled Mischief.

I have refrained from commenting on the trending controversy surrounding the defiance of one Firdaus Amasa (an Ilorin Muslim lady) to adhere to the hallowed Regulation of appropriate dressing for Call to the Nigerian Bar. This is because most commentators supportive of her infractions have added the delicate colours of religion to the topic. Sadly, I have observed many Lawyers here and many of my Law School mates, who obeyed the Rules themselves, but now chose to give credence to the lady's improper conduct. Unfortunately, we have chosen to elevate mundane issues above more important matters that will prosper and progress our country.

For a start, I am a 'small authority' on matters of students discipline, regulation and conduct in the Nigerian Law School, having been the Head of Bar part 1 (Foreign Students) programme and the first Bar 1 student to be voted President of the Students Representatives Council (SRC) during the Bar part 2 programme, and thus becoming the longest serving President of Law School students.

I have intervened on countless occasions to retrieve seized jewelleries of ladies and 'inappropriate' ties and other attires of male students from the Students Affairs office. I intervened on students campus postings. I was awarded the "Face of Nigerian Law School" and "Most Influential Student" during our time and up to this day I maintain a great amount of influence in that noble ground.

Even as President then, I was kindly turned back twice for wearing simple skin slippers on Kaftan instead of sandals, on Friday. I was once reprimanded for wearing black tie with touches of red. I operated under a Muslim DG of the Nigerian Law School, my boss - the amiable Prof. Tahir Mamman (SAN), who made sure the Regulations were applied strictly.

On two occasions I was invited to the Students Disciplinary Committee to be informed of the expulsion of students. One that hurts me deeply was the case of a fellow Bar 1 students (the Secretary of our Bar 1 Electoral Committee) who was expelled with just a week to the Bar finals. Reason: the School received a petition from his wife in the UK (where he schooled and was resident)on some flimsy grounds spurred by the allegations that he married another wife in Nigeria, on coming for his Law School. Thomas Ogwumba later died after some of us were Called to Bar.

The Council of Legal Education regulates the affairs of the Nigerian Law School up to the time of Call to Bar. The Body of Benchers is responsible for the formal Call to the Bar. It was established under the Legal Practitioners Act (LPA), now CAP L11, LFN 2004.

Both of these bodies make certain regulations towards upholding the core values of the legal profession and issues of discipline. On admission to the Law School, students are made to sign forms that bind them to the Rules and Regulations of the School, and towards the end of the programme students are again made to sign the Benchers form and deposed to a jurat indicating that they have CONSENTED to abide by the Rules and Regulations and all other instructions necessarily incidental.

The Law School dressing code sometimes have little variations on subjects relating to Hijab, but it has always been static for Call to Bar: no Hijab, no weave-on, no jewelleries, etc. Presently, the Kano campus of the Law School located in a strict Muslim state, does NOT allow the use of Hijab! The Abuja campus allows for a black, light Hijab but only a head scarf at best for Dinners.

In the attached pictures, 1 is me and Halima Mohammadu Buhari, the daughter of the President Buhari of Nigeria, during our Bar 1 programme in July 2012. Such Hijab was permissible then. Picture 2 was Dinner dressing with head scarf for ladies. Pictures 3 &4 are those of the same Halima Buhari during her Call to Bar. No scarf, no Hijab, only compliance (for a 2 hour programme). She consented for her 'rights' to be curtailed. I used the analogy of the President's daughter because it is a well known fact that she comes from a strictly devout Muslim family. All religious scriptures admonish us to obey God (Allah) while also respecting earthly authorities (Caesar) - see Quran 4:59.

In the Law School, those who live in the hostels consented to their freedom of movement to be 'breached.' Abuja headquarters campus hostels are locked with chains and locks every midnight. No one comes out nor goes in. That is the Rule.

There was a night I was woken up by a group led by the current Team Manager of Rangers FC of Enugu, Amobi Ezeaku, to the effect that a thief just burgled a student's room on the first floor via the balcony and I had to reach out to the Hostel Porter to open the Hostel gate to enable us be in pursuit of the felon. The delay in opening the gate enabled the thief escape.

Nigerian legal system differs from those of other jurisdictions to some extent. This is why I fault the unfortunate statement allegedly made by the NBA President in his comparison of our Bar to that of New York. Some British Inns, for instance, allow for the wearing of Hijab. My classmate (an Indian Sikh), Kernail Singh, was Called dressed in his turban.

I know as a fact that Black and White is a strict dress code for Nigerian University and Law School students, but in England where I studied for my undergraduate Degree in Law, no one cares if you come to the class wearing football shorts and basketball vest with 'unity' cap. There were times my Jurisprudence module lecturer would appear in a tight T-shirt exposing his cute biceps and crazy tattoos, and my mind would whisper to itsel, "this won't happen in Naija!" In the BPTC programme, students appear in various colours of suits and shirts.

Back to Firdaus Amasa, her defiance was clearly premeditated and designed for a veiled mischief. On the said day of her Call, after rudely standing against the traditional dress code, she was invited to the Benchers Room behind the stage at the International Conference Centre to meet with a Life Bencher and former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Alfa Belgore (himself a STRICT Muslim/Ilorin elder) who told her to remove the veil and join her colleagues in the hall. She refused.

The Secretary of the Body of Benchers (a devout Muslim woman), Mrs Turaki, also joined in instructing her to do the needful. She refused again. Incidentally, Statutorily, the Body of Benchers Secretary is vested with the responsibility to ensure that Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Body are adhered to according to stipulated law.

In the end, by opting for the legal profession in Nigeria and by agreeing to come to the Law School and accepting to sign all the forms with attendant jurats, one has unambiguously concur to abide by the Rules, Regulations and Procedures of the Council of Legal Education and Body of Benchers. The whole gist points out to one thing: Volenti non fit injuria, put in other words, CONSENT! Therefore, no Firdaus Amasa, her instigators and supporters are potent enough to alter this time hallowed procedure deeply steeped in tradition and conservatism.

I bet that the conservative nature of the Benchers may lead them to applying more sanctions against the lady for even claiming she acted on purpose.

As a country, the challenges we face are real and deep. We can only surmount them if we concentrate on things that unite us rather on such things as the menace of sentimentalism that seek to further divide us.

Yours In Service,

Franc Fagah Utoo, Esq. LQC (Malaysia); LL.B Hons (Newcastle, UK ); BL (Abuja)
*Former President of the Students Representative Council (SRC), Nigerian Law School, Abuja.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2017/12/barrister-franc-utoo-weighs-in-on-trending-hijab-controversy.html
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Vivere: 9:24pm On Dec 18, 2017
sad
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by manutdadex(m): 9:40pm On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
Why are you shivering?. It doesn't take degree to understand why women are put in the back in our daily prayers. My spanish fiance before she converted to Islam asked me same question few yrs ago. She understood right away without further explanation, and she was not even practising christian. So i wonder whats wrong with Nigerian christians despite being surrounded by churches, you don't understand anything. Isn't your church which is mixed of males and females is now den of brothel?. Males and females now fvcking one another in church while screaming "the lord is good" cheesy

However, a woman may lead her fellow women in prayer. Prophet muhammad(saw) even explained to us why women should be at the back. He said because some men may not have enough cloth to cover himself. Therefore, when men are standing up from prostration, women should take a little time before lifting their heads to avoid seeing men's behind. By law of nature, men tend to have urge than women. They tend to make satirical comments (about women's shape) if they see women's backyard. Islam makes perfect sense unless you want to follow your desire. In your churches, you guys claim to worship but you are actually committing sins by holding non-related women, hugging non-related women in the name praising "praising the lord". At the end of the day, you end up with fornication or adultery, the same thing you just preached against in church. You guys are fantastic!
brothel? And mosques are wat? If u c wherr boys dey doggy beliki with her ijab. Lol.. Bros ur fiancee loves u.. Y wud she not agree with you. We hug n hold hands thank God... Una wey no dey do am.. Ur women are loose like shit... Come to nigerian universities. Well its ok as long as they are doing it inside d room. Guy, Islam doesn't encourage women rara.. Lead her fellow women but she icant lead a whole mosque. You guys follow Quran dogmatically.. No wonder suicide bombing is like a right of passage to heaven for u guys. Am not against Islam, but any religion that treats every other persons as second class citizens (infidels) or kills for their faith... I hate that with passion... This days u guys read d bible more.. Just to justify ur faith or just to argue.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 9:56pm On Dec 18, 2017
[s]
manutdadex:
brothel? And mosques are wat? If u c wherr boys dey doggy beliki with her ijab. Lol.. Bros ur fiancee loves u.. Y wud she not agree with you. We hug n hold hands thank God... Una wey no dey do am.. Ur women are loose like shit... Come to nigerian universities. Well its ok as long as they are doing it inside d room. Guy, Islam doesn't encourage women rara.. Lead her fellow women but she icant lead a whole mosque. You guys follow Quran dogmatically.. No wonder suicide bombing is like a right of passage to heaven for u guys. Am not against Islam, but any religion that treats every other persons as second class citizens (infidels) or kills for their faith... I hate that with passion... This days u guys read d bible more.. Just to justify ur faith or just to argue.
[/s]trash
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Diademk07: 3:49am On Dec 19, 2017
Empiree:
God said this or Paul?. Now switch it around cheesy

Goan sleep!

Paul acknowledged Priscilla as a minister of God, he even stated that Priscilla taught him better of the words of God.

It's quite stupid to use Paul's admonition to a church in particular who had lousy women at that time as admonition to all churches!

Many women preached the gospel in the bible. A woman, Mary was the first to see Jesus after his resurrection and went on preaching to the other disciples that "Jesus has risen" which is a gospel itself.

I ask again what are your sisters doing in schools when Islam forbid such to women? You haven't answered that though.

Notwithstanding, I've never seen women as alfas and imams unlike we have in christians churches yet guess who's speaking nonsense?

Btw, Only the wretched wears Hijab!

1 Like

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Empiree: 5:49am On Dec 19, 2017
Diademk07:

[s]Goan sleep!

Paul acknowledged Priscilla as a minister of God, he even stated that Priscilla taught him better of the words of God.

It's quite stupid to use Paul's admonition to a church in particular who had lousy women at that time as admonition to all churches!

Many women preached the gospel in the bible. A woman, Mary was the first to see Jesus after his resurrection and went on preaching to the other disciples that "Jesus has risen" which is a gospel itself.[/s]
for the fact that you admitted Paul's words are in the Bible, then, Bible is not word of God.

I ask again what are your sisters doing in schools when Islam forbid such to women? You haven't answered that though.
unless you can prove this from islamic sources, i won't take you serious. The first chapter revealed in the Quran "read". which means to seek knowledge is fundamental right of every muslim (Surah Al-'Alaq [96]).

Notwithstanding, I've never seen women as alfas and imams unlike we have in christians churches yet guess who's speaking nonsense?
Whatever Alfa means to you?. Generally speaking Alfa is Yoruba word for Islamic scholar. In that case, there are many muslim scholars who are women. Google is your friend. Imam on the other hand, is the one who leads muslims in pray, also lead muslim community for social affairs. There are muslim women who do counseling in muslim communities. As for leading prayer, women are not allowed to lead muslim men and women in salat. However, she may lead her fellow women in salat. She may also deliver lectures to both men and women. Restriction is only leading men and women in salat according to islamic law. Educate yourself buddy.

Btw, Only the wretched wears Hijab!
Good. That means Mary mother Jesus, according to picture of 'Mary', she wears Hijab. cheesy grin So Mary, mother of your God is wretched

Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by Diademk07: 8:09am On Dec 19, 2017
Empiree:
for the fact that you admitted Paul's words are in the Bible, then, Bible is not word of God.

unless you can prove this from islamic sources, i won't take you serious. The first chapter revealed in the Quran "read". which means to seek knowledge is fundamental right of every muslim (Surah Al-'Alaq [96]).

Whatever Alfa means to you?. Generally speaking Alfa is Yoruba word for Islamic scholar. In that case, there are many muslim scholars who are women. Google is your friend. Imam on the other hand, is the one who leads muslims in pray, also lead muslim community for social affairs. There are muslim women who do counseling in muslim communities. As for leading prayer, women are not allowed to lead muslim men and women in salat. However, she may lead her fellow women in salat. She may also deliver lectures to both men and women. Restriction is only leading men and women in salat according to islamic law. Educate yourself buddy.

Good. That means Mary mother Jesus, according to picture of 'Mary', she wears Hijab. cheesy grin So Mary, mother of your God is wretched

Lmao. When you've got nothing to say.

That your quran don't have the words of God nor have admonition from men of God makes it redundant! No wonder quran plagiarise jewish men (Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Solomon) from the bible as their Islam prophets, even when the only prophet you have is your sex paedophile.

Who even takes admonition from a known sex paedophile unless the senile?

Well, while our women can teach both men and women like Priscilla did to Paul, like Mary did to the other disciples, and many today, your women on the other hand are only relegated to second class in your mosque and homes. No wonder Buhari said his wife belongs to the other room. What a chaotic religion!

That said, that's no hijab on Mary's head as her beautiful hairs could be seen. It's a scarf unlike the dirty hijab used to cover unwashed dirty hairs on the head. Funny enough, the desert Arabian made it their culture to cushion against the effect of the strong desert wind whereas africa men carry another person's culture untop head like gele or probably the arabic god, allah is just so partial that you can only come to him with arabic wear and speak in arabian language before he can understand what you're saying!

Lol. Chaotic religion!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy by manutdadex(m): 10:41am On Dec 19, 2017
Empiree:
[s][/s]trash
as usual.. No point.. Lol.. Oda bo o

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Amaechi Escapes Aborted Arik Plane Crash In Lagos. Photos / Dino Melaye Mourns Majek Fashek, Recalls "Fire Go Burn All Your Enemies" Comment / Yakubu Gowon Slumps At Burial Of David Akpodiete Ejoor In Delta State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.