Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. (2434 Views)

Ibadan School Asks Muslim Students To Remove Hijab (Photos) / Hijab, Muslim Rights In South Africa Respected / OAU Professor Durosinmi Writes On Muslim Students In Hijab (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by biazarre(m): 8:54am On Dec 17, 2017
Before someone comes here to attack me, most of who I know will be Muslims, please come with a verse of the Quran that states a woman can be a Judge
or lead a congregation where men exists. Also come with that part that allows that
such lady is to be addressed as ‘My Lord’ as a judge of the court. She compromised
herself by choosing to bring religion into this, because I will tell her that the
religion also forbids her to even show her face, hands and legs. Why do we like
fighting a lost war. We should let our laws that has been proven over time that it
needs a serious review divides us along religious lines.
Until the country is declared an Islamic state practising Sharia law then the Court,
NJC and NBA are on the right part. Let’s push for review of these laws than start
blame games.
Keep your comments simple, come with Quran verses, fatawa and hadiths to
support any claims you want to argue on as I wish you a very lovely Sunday..

Mr A. longman

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by AlBaqir(m): 10:08am On Dec 17, 2017
biazarre:
Before someone comes here to attack me, most of who I know will be Muslims, please come with a verse of the Quran that states a woman can be a Judge
or lead a congregation where men exists. Also come with that part that allows that
such lady is to be addressed as ‘My Lord’ as a judge of the court.

# If you think there's no verse in the Quran that states a woman can be a judge, then show us a verse in the same Quran that says a woman cannot be a judge. Its like you want to be smart than Muslim but I can assure you trying to use that analogy will only make you humiliated.

biazarre:

She compromised
herself by choosing to bring religion into this, because I will tell her that the
religion also forbids her to even show her face, hands and legs. Why do we like
fighting a lost war. We should let our laws that has been proven over time that it
needs a serious review divides us along religious lines.
Until the country is declared an Islamic state practising Sharia law then the Court,
NJC and NBA are on the right part. Let’s push for review of these laws than start
blame games.
Keep your comments simple, come with Quran verses, fatawa and hadiths to
support any claims you want to argue on as I wish you a very lovely Sunday..

Mr A. longman

# First, Nigeria has a constitution that allows EVERYBODY be it a judge, a lawyer, a doctor, a trader or whoever to practice his/her religion.

# Second, while whoever wishes to bring forth evidence from the constitution will fail to nail that Hijabi sister, we challenge them also to bring a prove from Nigeria law school constitution that says a Muslim law student cannot wear her Hijab (the way the lady in question does).

# Third, why is Nigerian court approve of religious books in Qur'an and Bible to swear during court session? Using Hijab is one of the injunctions in the Qur'an.

# Fourth, for a fact, Sharia law is 100% part of Nigerian constitution.

# Fifth, the slave masters (UK and US) that even after decades of independence we are still following in our system of Government and constitutions allow their Muslim's judges, lawyers, doctors, police etc to use their hijab.

The fact is the case is a lose, lose, lose for the Nigerian Law school. Whoever denied that lady only does so with hatred and not in accordance to the law.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Catalyst001(m): 10:27am On Dec 17, 2017
I will say the ignorant muslims are the greatest enemy of Islam

3 Likes

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by usermane(m): 3:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
Peace.

I think the young woman went about it wrongly. A lot of persons may be quick to cite this event as an discrimination against Islam and as Al-baqir already pointed, no part of the law forbid wearing an hijab beneath the wig. But, unfortunately for this woman, the absence of prohibition of something is not synonymous with permission for it. That the law does not forbid wearing a face cap or bandanna underneath the wig is no justification for a law graduate to wear any of these to the ceremony.

I hold nothing against hijab, I may not consider it part of Islam, but I respect the opinion of those who deem it an Islamic requirement. But I cannot approve the approach the young woman has taken in her bid to "give Muslim women the rights to express their constitutional right in the constitution". I believe there are more suitable means of achieving this than storming into the ceremony knowing fully well that the authority wont allow it. She was asking for trouble, controversy and she got it.

NB
There is no verse in the Qur'an forbidding women to be judge as Al-baqir have pointed out and perhaps this young woman does not even seek to become a judge, but still the OP's point on this remain interesting to consider, given that religious traditions and jurisprudence of mainstream Islam seem to destest the appointment of a woman as leader or judge. For more info on this issue, please click; https://islamqa.info/en/71338

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 5:14pm On Dec 17, 2017
Nigeria, Nigerians have big problems. You are your worst enemies. In the 90s you cried out loud to have democracy. Here you are, you wanna be more "democratic" than your slave masters? .

There are police women, women medical doctors, lawyers wearing hijab in the West and you dare not touch them or harrass them. Are you more democratic than them? . Are you more secularized than them?. Everything in Nigeria is always negative. How is it so difficult to understand that hijab is Muslim women ID?.

There are Jewish rabbis in their skullcap all the time. They are lawyers, judges, realtors, brokers, wall street investors and the list goes on. And their women wear a kind of clothing which identifies them as Jewish women. What the heck is wrong with black people and Africans?. Your hatred and intolerant attitudes surpassed the West. Your are more rascist than them.

New York City subways are filled with right of Muslim rumen to wear their hijab. New York City authority even placed niqab ads on their subways. (See attachments)

What Nigerian Christians and liberal Muslims are trying to do is to take Islam away from us. It is high time musings need to step up their game and knock these ppl back to their stone age. They are crossing the line now.

See also makkah symbol in NYC train behind these guys.

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 5:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
And there are bunch of hijabi Muslim women civil servants in new York city. So are you Africans, especially Nigerians Christians crazy or what. They have reduced their religion to the inside church. Sorry, Islam isn't like that. Islamic practices transcends masajid

NYC bus driver

NYC Judge

NYC police

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by AlBaqir(m): 8:10pm On Dec 17, 2017
usermane:
Peace.

I think the young woman went about it wrongly. A lot of persons may be quick to cite this event as an discrimination against Islam and as Al-baqir already pointed, no part of the law forbid wearing an hijab beneath the wig. But, unfortunately for this woman, the absence of prohibition of something is not synonymous with permission for it. That the law does not forbid wearing a face cap or bandanna underneath the wig is no justification for a law graduate to wear any of these to the ceremony.

# I disagree with that bro. The fact that it is clearly stated in the constitution that one is free to display or practice his religious belief publicly is a very strong evidence to defend the lady. It is those that denied the lady to exercise the freedom of showcasing her faith that have nothing to hold on to.

# On the other hand, it is very wrong, in fact woefully wrongly wrong to use face cap or bandanna over the wig (as you have submitted). Why? Those part of dressing are not expressing any religious belief.

# A Judge or lawyer who after putting his/her law dress code, then put on "traditional ilèkè oyè (bead)" on neck, wrist and hand signifying his traditional belief only needs to put those things inside. The lady's hijab was tossed inside.

usermane:

NB
There is no verse in the Qur'an forbidding women to be judge as Al-baqir have pointed out and perhaps this young woman does not even seek to become a judge, but still the OP's point on this remain interesting to consider, given that religious traditions and jurisprudence of mainstream Islam seem to destest the appointment of a woman as leader or judge. For more info on this issue, please click; https://islamqa.info/en/71338

# Those "traditions and jurisprudence" might be from the mainstream but obviously is not generally accepted as opinion of all Muslim sects. To make things worse, you only quoted a Salafi website.

* According to Qur'an, there is no difference between man and woman before God. The best is the most righteous of the two. This is the general foundation in spirituality.

* However, the fact that man and woman are different physically and their approach to things is also different because of their nature, different responsibilities are given to each, therefore in decision making, leadership, and especially for orderliness, Islam wants man to be the head. A situation where it is women society, woman is expected to be the leader.

* Islam did not restrict woman to be whatever she wants to be.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 1:42am On Dec 18, 2017
PEDITION is going VIRAL wordwide to shut Nigerian Christians up angry They are becoming prejudice and evil everyday undecided

Can you help me out by signing this petition?
http://chn.ge/2BBY6Aq

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by AlBaqir(m): 4:37am On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
PEDITION is going VIRAL wordwide to shut Nigerian Christians up angry They are becoming prejudice and evil everyday undecided

Unfortunately, what they failed to understand is that Muslims are far well informed and far smarter than their sorry selves. Its just unfortunate that it is only when this kind of a thing happens that you see Nigerian Muslims coming together. Remember the case of hijab in secondary schools years back. We fought it together and won.

* Alhamdulillah for the sister anyway; she now an excellent ambassador of Islam and a mujahadat before her Lord. May Allah purify her intentions and accept that noble deed because other Muslim sisters who are shy or fearing will now have opportunity to wear their hijab.

And indeed whoever purify his work and for none other than Allah, He will not only be rewarded handsomely but also be made famous. The lady is now Marufat worldwide grin

2 Likes

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 4:47am On Dec 18, 2017
AlBaqir:

Its just unfortunate that it is only when this kind of a thing happens that you see Nigerian Muslims coming together. R We fought it together and won.
except saheedbinaliyu, alfa Jabata stooge. He called anyone who supports the lady kafir, because according to him, "that's not hijab". The guys needs help urgently. undecided
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by usermane(m): 6:01am On Dec 18, 2017
AlBaqir:

# I disagree with that bro. The fact that it is clearly stated in the constitution that one is free to display or practice his religious belief publicly is a very strong evidence to defend the lady. It is those that denied the lady to exercise the freedom of showcasing her faith that have nothing to hold on to.

Then what about those women who strictly wear niqab(face-veil)? Should they be permitted into the ceremony because they are merely expressing their religious beliefs as granted by the constitution? Freedom of religious expression is not infinite, otherwise there wont be a uniform or dress code to begin with. I believe a case can be made for the hijab, albeit in a more respectable manner than this young woman has taken, but this incessant invocation of freedom of religious expression in her defense just don't cut it.

# On the other hand, it is very wrong, in fact woefully wrongly to use face cap or bandanna over the wig (as you have submitted). Why? Those part of dressing are not expressing any religious belief.

@bold, I said under the wig, not over the wig.
Then what about freedom of personal expression, you do realize wearing a cap is a personal act of expression permitted under the law, right?

# A Judge or lawyer who after putting his/her law dress code, then put on "traditional ilèkè oyè (bead)" on neck, wrist and hand signifying his traditional belief only needs to put those things inside. The lady's hijab was tossed inside.

See, don't get me wrong. I ain't against wearing the hijab to bar. What I am against is wearing the hijab to bar knowing fully well that the concerned authority do not allow it. There are more appropriate approach she should have taken involving consenting the authorities. And to deem her barring from the ceremony as Islamophobia is untenable.

# Those "traditions and jurisprudence" might be from the mainstream but obviously is not generally accepted as opinion of all Muslim sects. To make things worse, you only quoted a Salafi website.

How do you know it is not generally accepted? Even if these traditions are not popular in the realm of mainstream Muslim, need I remind you that popularity is no proof of halal or haram in traditional Islam? There is prophetic tradition forbidding women as supreme leader, this leaves the permission of women as judges questionable at best. Because judges are basically leaders with supreme authority.

PS: When Ayatollah Khomeini came to power in Iran, female judges were outlawed. This recent event proves that the opposition to the role of women as judges is not limited to only salafis and not as unpopular as often thought.

2 Likes

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by AlBaqir(m): 10:06am On Dec 18, 2017
usermane:

Then what about those women who strictly wear niqab(face-veil)? Should they be permitted into the ceremony because they are merely expressing their religious beliefs as granted by the constitution? Freedom of religious expression is not infinite, otherwise there wont be a uniform or dress code to begin with. I believe a case can be made for the hijab, albeit in a more respectable manner than this young woman has taken, but this incessant invocation of freedom of religious expression in her defense just don't cut it.

Niqob (face-veil) is not an obligatory act in Islamic injunctions. Hijab is obligatory. So whoever insist on using niqob in this situation only want to cause wahala. How is she going to be recognised that she is truly who she claim to be?!

usermane:

@bold, I said under the wig, not over the wig.
Then what about freedom of personal expression, you do realize wearing a cap is a personal act of expression permitted under the law, right?

# How's using face cap and bandanna a freedom of expression? What is it you wish to express?

usermane:
See, don't get me wrong. I ain't against wearing the hijab to bar. What I am against is wearing the hijab to bar knowing fully well that the concerned authority do not allow it. There are more appropriate approach she should have taken involving consenting the authorities. And to deem her barring from the ceremony as Islamophobia is untenable.

# To hell with the concern authority once she did not oppose the law of the land. Someone needs to break that silly jinx. Hijab in secondary schools was like this.

usermane:

How do you know it is not generally accepted? Even if these traditions are not popular in the realm of mainstream Muslim, need I remind you that popularity is no proof of halal or haram in traditional Islam? There is prophetic tradition forbidding women as supreme leader, this leaves the permission of women as judges questionable at best. Because judges are basically leaders with supreme authority.

# You are the one making claim of "acceptability of the mainstream".

# Prophetic tradition: it is about being supreme leader that Islam frown at, not leadership. Even at home, father has final says meaning he is the supreme leader whereas mothers are also leaders and directors.

usermane:

PS: When Ayatollah Khomeini came to power in Iran, female judges were outlawed. This recent event proves that the opposition to the role of women as judges is not limited to only salafis and not as unpopular as often thought.

# It is absolutely not like that. Before the revolution, Iran was a secular country and after the revolution, you expect changes. The injunction in line with Islamic law is that judgement of a woman's judge, for example, should be crosschecked and approved by a male counterpart.

* Note: This has nothing to do with discrimination. In the view of Islam, women are more prone to mistakes due to their emotional feelings.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by AlBaqir(m): 10:15am On Dec 18, 2017
Empiree:
except saheedbinaliyu, alfa Jabata stooge. He called anyone who supports the lady kafir, because according to him, "that's not hijab". The guys needs help urgently. undecided

# Empiree eeeeeeeeeeee, those are fanatical fanatics. They do not only have problem with that case in question but in all things even as trivial as using spoon or fork to eat. Remember that alone is hell fire to them. So, when we talk about people of Aql and istidlal, we are not talking about those ones.

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 2:50pm On Dec 18, 2017
cheesy

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by sorextee(m): 7:30pm On Dec 20, 2017
To br sincere too, when the news of d hijab girl broke out, what I pictured was she was wearing the ninja cloth and she refused to remove it. Till I saw d particular hijab she wore(anyway dat one don pass sha)

I dnt have issues with that particular hijab she wore. But to some it all up, that her movement she was trying to do, she did it at d wrong place ND time. Something that she could just remove for two hours or so, she decided to cause trouble with it. Its d part dat didnt go down well with me.

Its just like those celestial pple to go barefooted, with their incense stick and white gown for their call to bar.. Cos they re trying to change the status quo so dat their fellow Cele peeps coming behind dem shld also be allowed to be called to bar barefooted.

usermane:
Peace.

I hold nothing against hijab, I may not consider it part of Islam, but I respect the opinion of those who deem it an Islamic requirement. But I cannot approve the approach the young woman has taken in her bid to "give Muslim women the rights to express their constitutional right in the constitution". I believe there are more suitable means of achieving this than storming into the ceremony knowing fully well that the authority wont allow it. She was asking for trouble, controversy and she got it.

NB
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 7:47pm On Dec 20, 2017
sorextee:

But to some it all up, that her movement she was trying to do, she did it at d wrong place ND time. Something that she could just remove for two hours or so, she decided to cause trouble with it. Its d part dat didnt go down well with me.
It is called "Stand Your Ground". To remove it in order to please these keferi is cowardly act. When Freeze tried to rebuke Tithe, Pastors stood their grounds. They didnt compromise bcus of antagonists.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 4:33am On Dec 21, 2017
Interesting. .. Is Nigeria more secular than others?

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by RedPanda: 11:41am On Dec 30, 2017
@Empiree;

some quick thoughts with you.

The first thing most Islamists should consider is that if you want an Islamic country with full sharia everywhere you should consider the partition of the country so you can have your Islamic state. Sharia can never be implemented across broad in a country like Nigeria where half of the country is non-muslim. So, it is better for the Islamist to agitate for their own country. They seem to be afraid to do this. This is what happened in Pakistan;Sudan etc.

Now the only way to live in peace and Unity is to have a secular constitution which bans a state religion. Nigeria was colonised by the british and thank goodness for that...so we have that christian background and framework. Our forefathers erred by retaining the entrapment called Nigeria when given the chance for independence, they should have each gone their separate ways maybe the North would be like Sudan now and we can all live in peace.

Now on the issues, the right to freedom of religion is not an absolute right. In any case, In a secular country like Nigeria that has banned the notion of a state religion, organisations have the right to determine the dress code of its members in the organisation. This is an organisational right that doesn't infringe on anybody's secular rights. I will say this in another way, it doesn't constitute discrimination if an organisation decides to implement religious neutral clothing across board in a secular country. This should be obvious to any intelligent mind. It is a matter for the NBA or the college of benchers to determine for their organisation how the organisational members should be dressed when identifying with the organisation or carrying out its duties.. If you don't agree with such then don't join or go there. it's very simple.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by RedPanda: 11:57am On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:

You misunderstand a lot of things. where do we start? First of all the concept of secularism entails the separation of religion from politics. In order words keep your religion private. Religion shouldn't partake in the governance of society. Now this is a problem in Islam because Islam doesn't have any notion of this kind of separation. The prophet was a political leader, and Islam is also supposed to govern all aspect of life of its adherents. This is why there is a clash in ideology. Nigeria is a multi religious, multi cultural and multi ethnic society and the only way everyone can live in peace is if religion is kept out of the governance of the country.

The Osun matter or Lagos matter hasn't been fought to the supreme court so i wont hold my breadth but it's obvious to see how that act breaches the no state religion clause of the constitution. In a secular country, religiously neutral clothing ought to be implemented in public schools and public government institutions across board affecting all religious inclinations. wear your hijab in your house or to your place of worship. Keep it off public government properties

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 12:40pm On Dec 30, 2017
RedPanda:
@Empiree;

some quick thoughts with you.

The first thing most Islamists should consider is that if you want an Islamic country with full sharia everywhere you should consider the partition of the country so you can have your Islamic state. Sharia can never be implemented across broad in a country like Nigeria where half of the country is non-muslim. So, it is better for the Islamist to agitate for their own country. They seem to be afraid to do this. This is what happened in Pakistan;Sudan etc.

Now the only way to live in peace and Unity is to have a secular constitution which bans a state religion. Nigeria was colonised by the british and thank goodness for that...so we have that christian background and framework. Our forefathers erred by retaining the entrapment called Nigeria when given the chance for independence, they should have each gone their separate ways maybe the North would be like Sudan now and we can all live in peace.

Now on the issues, the right to freedom of religion is not an absolute right. In any case, In a secular country like Nigeria that has banned the notion of a state religion, organisations have the right to determine the dress code of its members in the organisation. This is an organisational right that doesn't infringe on anybody's secular rights. I will say this in another way, it doesn't constitute discrimination if an organisation decides to implement religious neutral clothing across board in a secular country. This should be obvious to any intelligent mind. It is a matter for the NBA or the college of benchers to determine for their organisation how the organisational members should be dressed when identifying with the organisation or carrying out its duties.. If you don't agree with such then don't join or go there. it's very simple.

some people are pretty until they open their mouth shocked
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2017
Albaqir, Empiree

Constitutional rights give freedom to practice any religion yes, but what you and your fellows don't get is that, wearing of Hijab is not part of dress code when called to bar in Nigeria law school just like skirt is not part of NYSC dress code, the court or law school didn't stop Firdaus from practicing her religion or wearing her religious regalia but when it comes to the ceremony everyone must come out secular, that's the rule.

Now you should know every law students signed an agreement/consented form to obey the rules and regulations, the moment you agree to the terms some rules and regulations in an organization or body can supersede some of her/your constitutional rights, but that doesn't mean one can't protest(it leads consequences) but in the case of Firdaus she's acting as if she's ignorant of the rules before she entered the law school, she's playing the victim card, I wonder why Muslims didn't protest within the 6 years in thier course or before they signed any agreement terms.

I'm for equality, if hijab is to be accepted in the bar then every other traditional and religious regalia should be accepted, if this is the case, I've no problem with Firdaus struggle!

But the best way I would advise her is complying(for the few hours) and join the member as an active lawyer, gather more lawyers(both religious and traditional) to protest, with this her protest will carry more weight.

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 10:17pm On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:
One thing you don't understand between U.S and Nigeria is, people in U.S don't take religion serious, the reason thier courtroom is not like Halloween party, but they must put on corporate outfit.

But here in Nigeria almost 95% Nigerians are very mentally dogmatic, imagine different religious and traditional regalia in the court as if there's an Halloween party going on, I won't say it's not a good thing since it may not affect the court cases but the atmosphere will be unpleasant to the sight. grin

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2017
Albaqir, does a Muslim woman have right to judge men or have power over men according to Islamic rules?

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 10:34pm On Dec 30, 2017
tintingz:

Constitutional rights give freedom to practice any religion yes, but what you and your fellows don't get is that, wearing of Hijab is not part of dress code when called to bar in Nigeria law school just like skirt is not part of NYSC dress code, the court or law school didn't stop Firdaus from practicing her religion or wearing her religious regalia but when it comes to the ceremony everyone must come out secular, that's the rule.

Like you are more secular than secular countries?. We dont need to hear anymore stories on this. We know they have ulterior motives. This is not their first time. They yanked off hijab on the streets They criticized hijabi women on the street and call them horrible names. What more do we need to hear?. Sorry, they can keep their trash to them.

These pictures are western and asian countries.The dirty looking wigs they put on, how did that come about?. Is that not sign of colonial christian masters?. Besides, the lady already compromised hijab- as if that's not enough. Debate on this issue is closed. Nigeria can never grow so long as they choose to stuck on irrelevancies.

tintingz:
does a Muslim woman have right to judge men or have power over men according to Islamic rules?
why is this relevant to you now?. You are no longer a muslim. Why are you bothered when you already made up your mind??

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 10:50pm On Dec 30, 2017
muslim women on Dr Phil and Ellen.

Why is everything about nigeria is so negative?

You claim you have 'democracy' but you go crazy

You claim you are secular country but you want to act more secular than secularism.

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 10:54pm On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:

Like you are more secular than secular countries?. We dont need to hear anymore stories on this. We know they have ulterior motives. This is not their first time. They yanked off hijab on the streets They criticized hijabi women on the street and call them horrible names. What more do we need to hear?. Sorry, they can keep their trash to them.

These pictures are western and asian countries.The dirty looking wigs they put on, how did that come about?. Is that not sign of colonial christian masters?. Besides, the lady already compromised hijab- as if that's not enough. Debate on this issue is closed. Nigeria can never grow so long as they choose to stuck on irrelevancies.
So because I'm african I can't be secular in ideology? Secularism is they don't want religion to influence the laws, liberalism is freedom and equality for all, secularism can adopt liberalism which is what U.S are practicing.

Sometimes seeing women on Niqab is kind of offensive to me, I find it offensive not able to see the face of who I'm dealing with, I saw one at the bank counter.

Nigeria is part of Commonwealth, our system is similar to Britain, the wig was adopted, I don't see how it got to do with Christianity? Is Nigeria law influenced by Christianity?

why is this relevant to you now?. You are no longer a muslim. Why are you bothered when you already made up your mind??
Is there anything wrong asking this, are you the one to tell me what's relevant to me?

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:
muslim women on Dr Phil and Ellen.

Why is everything about nigeria is so negative?

You claim you have 'democracy' but you go crazy

You claim you are secular country but you want to act more secular than secularism.
Define Secularism?

And the thing is Nigeria is still a semi-secular state, religious bigotry and sentiment are still practiced in many organizations, many of the lawmakers are religious biased , countries like China, North Korea are example of secular and communist state.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 11:36pm On Dec 30, 2017
tintingz:
Define Secularism?

And the thing is Nigeria is still a semi-secular state, religious bigotry and sentiment are still practiced in many organizations, many of the lawmakers are religious biased , countries like China, North Korea are example of secular and communist state.
Tell this to them not me

tintingz:
So because I'm african I can't be secular in ideology? Secularism is they don't want religion to influence the laws,
and where is secularism in nigeria while they use religious Books to swear in president, VP, judges, lawyers, plaintiffs, defendants and witnesses?

Sometimes seeing women on Niqab is kind of offensive to me, I find it offensive not able to see the face of who I'm dealing with, I saw one at the bank counter.
Hijab is subject of discussion here not niqab. Niqab is optional.

Nigeria is part of Commonwealth, our system is similar to Britain, the wig was adopted, I don't see how it got to do with Christianity? Is Nigeria law influenced by Christianity?
You are joking right?. Just tell me you are bcus you are the least to ask this.
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by RedPanda: 11:37pm On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:

Lol...smh smiley.... you still don't get secularism?....I'm not surprised though the concept doesn't exist in Islam. All the countries you are quoting esp US or the UK are Christian countries... The UK in particular is a christian country,Theresa may in her Christmas speech just 5 days ago emphasized the UK's christian heritage. Same as the Queen. The US has 'In God we trust'. The UK has 5% Muslim population, The US is even worse just about 1%. With Brexit and Donald trump you can be sure the Islamic growth in those countries will not grow exponentially at least in the next 10 years.

France is an example of a secular country. Having removed itself from the control of the Catholic church in the 1920s they are not about to let Islamist run over their country. Burqa is banned, Niqqab is banned, Hijab is restricted. That's the hallmark of a secular country. Keep your religion to yourself. Wear hijab in your house or to your mosque.

I will still repeat it, the best way to achieve this sharia dreamland is to agitate for your own country, the muslims can move to their country and create their sharia paradise for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by RedPanda: 11:40pm On Dec 30, 2017
tintingz:
Define Secularism?

China doesn't even have that much patience, those things are banned there too. I think north korea is an atheist/agnostic state
Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by Empiree: 11:42pm On Dec 30, 2017
[s]
RedPanda:

Lol...smh smiley.... you still don't get secularism?....I'm not surprised though the concept doesn't exist in Islam. All the countries you are quoting esp US or the UK are Christian countries... The UK in particular is a christian country,Theresa may in her Christmas speech just 5 days ago emphasized the UK's christian heritage. Same as the Queen. The US has 'In God we trust'. The UK has 5% Muslim population, The US is even worse just about 1%. With Brexit and Donald trump you can be sure the Islamic growth in those countries will not grow exponentially at least in the next 10 years.

France is an example of a secular country. Having removed itself from the control of the Catholic church in the 1920s they are not about to let Islamist run over their country. Burqa is banned, Niqqab is banned, Hijab is restricted. That's the hallmark of a secular country. Keep your religion to yourself. Wear hijab in your house or to your mosque.

I will still repeat it, the best way to achieve this sharia dreamland is to agitate for your own country, the muslims can move to their country and create their sharia paradise for themselves.
[/s]WHY DOES NIGERIA USES QURAN & BIBLE IN COURT?

Re: Hijab, Qur'an, Law, And Religion. by tintingz(m): 11:46pm On Dec 30, 2017
Empiree:
Tell this to them not me
Lol

and where is secularism in nigeria while they use religious Books to swear in president, VP, judges, lawyers, plaintiffs, defendants and witnesses?
It's secularism-libralism.

What will an atheist use to sworn in in this case?

Hijab is subject of discussion here not niqab. Niqab is optional.
Ok

You are joking right?. Just tell me you are bcus you are the least to ask this.

Tell me one single law that favor Christianity than Islam in Nigeria constitution?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Lives Of Religious Minorities In The Islamic Republic Of Iran / JUMA'AT KAREEM:Important message to brothers and sisters in Islam. / Is Quran Co-eternal With God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.