Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye (5739 Views)

Lagos Belongs To The Great Benin Kingdom: OBA OF LAGOS / Lagos Belongs To Us – The Bini / Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There — Akintoye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Morenikeji900: 11:55am On Dec 20, 2017
historyworld031:
This is nonensical. History relies on historical documents, not feelings and ethnocentrism.
I have difficulties calling this guy a historian because he is not acting as such.
Thank God I studied in europe right from primary school, they were able to teach me the sense of the word history.
You can't tell a story which happened more than 1000 years ago without documents made 1000 years ago or archeological dicoveries.
Now this guy is talking about things he alledges happened 3000 years ago and he has nothing to back his claims except his degree ?!
That is not how history works, having a degree doesn't make you above scrutiny, your work is supposed to be seen and published with all the proof backing it just like in any other accademic field. You can't just start making things up because you have a doctorate in history. This is the reason nobody takes yoruba historians seriously.
Bleep off Awori have already told does fighting for Edo people should please if they know they are not yoruba that they can head back to there so called Edo Kingdom lols we are really proud of our yoruba lands. OSUN & OYO & LAGOS & ONDO & EKITI. (KWARA) Awori is the owner of Lagos. if people like keep yelling we yoruba grant all you bleeping dog freedom of speech tho but the Yoruba are waiting for you all stupid fool like you
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by RedboneSmith(m): 3:11pm On Dec 20, 2017
Opiletool:

Can you do me a favour please?

Stop engaging that slowpoke. He's a renowned bozo in the culture section of nairaland. Don't allow him drag you into his fold.

Thank you. I was actually not going to go on.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 20, 2017
According to the following map, Lagos was a Kingdom which paid tribute to the Benin Kingdom:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469164s/f1.item.r=BENIN.zoom

So I guess Lagos was part of the Benin empire.

You see, claim only what you can prove.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 2:44pm On Jan 13, 2018
historyworld031:
don't claim to know something if no proof was shown to you.
Lagos was part of the Benin Kingdom. That is the only Verrifyable fact and here is proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlUMUGUorw

Some ancient maps of Benin Kingdom:

This one dates to around 1699:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595525w/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map of Benin made in the 17th century once again:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530530714.r=Benin?rk=214593;2

An other map of Benin from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595583b.r=Benin?rk=193134;0

This one date to the 19th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8469390z/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

An other map from the 17th century:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8595527q/f1.item.r=Benin.zoom

The story about the awori doesn't come with any sort of proof.
Also when did some people start referring to themselves as yoruba ?

Do you know that it is on record that in ancient times Benin actually paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo?
The Ogamien family of Benin,the Ijaws and Itsekiris can help you cut through the propaganda and confirm ithis for you.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 13, 2018
An other non Edo who believes he knows Edo history more than Edos.
First of all, the ogiamen is a known imposter (everybody knows that except you).
Second of all, show me the record which shows the Benin Kingdom paying tribute to the much younger and smaller and weaker oyo kingdom which got its ass kicked by the fulani.

Look, I get it, you want to uplift your tribe and claim that your king is the greatest whatever historical reality may be. It is only natural, but don't disrespect me by throwing this your mental disability on me. It is not my fault that the Oba of Benin had a powerful kingdom which incorporated almost all of southern nigeria into an empire and even went beyond southern nigeria.

A fact is a fact, it is funny that you want to say that pre-colonial maps made several hundred years ago are propaganda. Yep, I went back in time with my time machine and I conspired with some map makers several hundred years ago to do propaganda.

I think you should try and deal with your low self estim on your own without trying to drag other people in it.
Also it seems that to you some uneducated ijaw are now the owners of Edo history ?
You really lack logics my friend. I an Edo should go and ask some ijaw fishermen about my history which I have been learning since I was a toddler ? And with historical documents such as pre-colonial maps and notes and the Benin Bronzes (I guess you consider those propaganda as well), and with eye witness accounts of people like my great-grand mother.

Christistruth00:

Do you know that it is on record that in ancient times Benin actually paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo?
The Ogamien family of Benin,the Ijaws and Itsekiris can help you cut through the propaganda and confirm it for you.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 12:18am On Jan 14, 2018
Morenikeji900:
Bleep off Awori have already told does fighting for Edo people should please if they know they are not yoruba that they can head back to there so called Edo Kingdom lols we are really proud of our yoruba lands. OSUN & OYO & LAGOS & ONDO & EKITI. (KWARA) Awori is the owner of Lagos. if people like keep yelling we yoruba grant all you bleeping dog freedom of speech tho but the Yoruba are waiting for you all stupid fool like you
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 11:47am On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

The Ogamien family of Benin,the Ijaws and Itsekiris can help you cut through the propaganda and confirm ithis for you.

Where do you get all this things From? What record?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 1:53pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:
First of all, the ogiamen is a known imposter (everybody knows that except you).
Second of all, show me the record which shows the Benin Kingdom paying tribute to the much younger and smaller and weaker oyo kingdom which got its ass kicked by the fulani.

Look, I get it, you want to uplift your tribe and claim that your king is the greatest whatever historical reality may be. It is only natural, but don't disrespect me by throwing this your mental disability on me. It is not my fault that the Oba of Benin had a powerful kingdom which incorporated almost all of southern nigeria into an empire and even went beyond southern nigeria.

A fact is a fact, it is funny that you want to say that pre-colonial maps made several hundred years ago are propaganda. Yep, I went back in time with my time machine and I conspired with some map makers several hundred years ago to do propaganda.

I think you should try and deal with your low self estim on your own without trying to drag other people in it.
Also it seems that to you some uneducated ijaw are now the owners of Edo history ?
You really lack logics my friend. I an Edo should go and ask some ijaw fishermen about my history which I have been learning since I was a toddler ? And with historical documents such as pre-colonial maps and notes and the Benin Bronzes (I guess you consider those propaganda as well), and with eye witness accounts of people like my great-grand mother.

Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890 start from the 4th paragraph .It is not news that Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan and subsequent Alaafins after he left Benin and became the Alaafin of Oyo except to the revisionists.Thank you.

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 1:59pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:

Where do you get all this things From? What record?

Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890 start from the 4th paragraph .It is not news that Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan after he left Benin and became the Alaafin of Oyo except to the revisionists.Even non Yorubas know this fact as you can see from the historical narration of the Ijaws. Thank you.

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 2:38pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:

Please add this to your maps ,Christ said you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

Below is a Portuguese map of the area from 1786. In the middle can you see place called Jabum where Lagos is? That is how the Portuguese pronounced Ijebu a sub tribe of the Yoruba who traded with the Portuguese that met them there ( are the Ijebu not still there today ?) they own Epe,Ikorodu and even the area around lekki today.The Awori's were there but lived in numerous smaller settlements . To the bottom left can you see Popo ? The Popos are a sub tribe of the Yoruba and the King of the Popo's was in control of Badagry when the missionaries Thomas freeman and Henry Townsend first Preached there in 1842.
Again near the middle of the map can you see a place called Odi in the exact location where Ijebu Ode (sometimes called Ode for short) a Yoruba town is today? Even the Lagos Island is labelled Jiboe (Jebu). See curamo means the sea of Kuramo ( of Kuramo beach today). The Ogamien family are descendants of the Ogisos and have made it very very clear that the Oba of Benin is of Ife Origin whether you like it or not.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) 2 Likes 1 Share (Share)

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 3:21pm On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

Please read this document written by Sir Alfred Moloney British Colonial Governor of Lagos written in 1890 start from the 4th paragraph .It is not news that Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan after he left Benin and became the Alaafin of Oyo except to the revisionists.Even non Yorubas know this fact as you can see from the historical narration of the Ijaws. Thank you.
Yes oranmiyan was king at Uselu, but he wasn't even allowed to enter Bini city and function properly as King over the Kingdom. So how would Binis who he left his son to rule over pay him tributes in Oyo? His descendants had to fight their way into Bini city and establish their contol over Bini

As to the document I am certain, Benin mentioned there refers to Benin Republic, it is unarguable that the Bariba and Fons of Benin republic came under Oyo. the Ewes are found in Ghana and Togo, over them Oyo also held sway but no Bini or Edo
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 3:24pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:

to refute his claim you had to insult Oyo?
I'll use your own line

"Look, I get it, you want to uplift your tribe and claim that your king is the greatest whatever historical reality may be. It is only natural, but don't disrespect me by throwing this your mental disability on me"

Oyo was stronger, larger and better organised. The imperial efforts of Oyo in all ramifications trump that of Bini by a long mile. From exposing and extending its language and culture, to establishing outposts ran by imperial tax collectors, creating regions and provinces
Oyo empire at it's greatest heights covered lands reaching the Volta river. Having a kingdom as powerful as dahomey as a vassal.

You don't put Bini above Oyo in terms of might and imperial organization...thats just stupid

Modern Oyo and Osun states are the size of the entire now defunt Bini empire. An Empire the size of just two states in SW encompass almost all of southern Nigeria? You don't know how big southern Nigeria is do you?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:
Yes oranmiyan was king at Uselu, but he wasn't even allowed to enter Bini city and function properly as King over the Kingdom. So how would Binis who he left his son to rule over pay him tributes in Oyo? His descendants had to fight their way into Bini city and establish their contol over Bini

As to the document I am certain, Benin mentioned there refers to Benin Republic, it is unarguable that the Bariba and Fons of Benin republic came under Oyo. the Ewes are found in Ghana and Togo, over them Oyo also held sway but no Bini or Edo

Oranmiyan was a Yoruba man,and because he set up the monarchy of Benin ,Benin became his tributary ,that is the way the Yorubas did it then ,even the Ga of Accra paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo in the seventeenth century.Benin means Edo in the British colonial Governors document and history confirms it .Dahomey is mentioned separately.
As the Alaafin of Oyo and even after , Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan , respectfully the Oba of Benin will not deny it.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by SicilianMafia: 4:03pm On Jan 14, 2018
[s]
Christistruth00:

Oranmiyan was a Yoruba man,and because he set up the monarchy of Benin ,Benin became his tributary ,that is the way the Yorubas do it even the Ga of Accra paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo in the seventeenth century.Benin means Edo. Dahomey is mentioned separately.
As the Alaafin of Oyo Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan, respectfully the Oba of Benin will not dare deny it.
[/s]

Dunno if I should reply this nonsense or slap sense into you!!

What useless empire of Oyo are you talking about first of all?
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 14, 2018
First of all, that is a book written in the colonial era (according to what you say) and it is describing what the author thinks was the situation 300 years before he wrote the book. Therefor that is not a historical document.
Also he said the powerful oyos, ruling to the sea over Benin and Ewe. You have to know that the manner in which english was spoken in 1890 and the manner it is spoken now are not the same at all. Personnally I have already seen a yoruba showing me this text and boasting about it, eeventhough it is not clear what the autor meant by "ruling to the sea over Benin and Ewe" Is it the sea which is over Benin and Ewe ? What does he mean by ruling ? It seems to me that the author is describing the land mass occupied by the oyos. But you are free to interpret this in a way which makes your oyo people look fantastic. I would just like to remind you that the first people who visited the region were portuguese, not english and that they met with Omo n'Oba n'Edo arounf 1400 and they made maps which are available and in no way show the alafin (which your text doesn't even mention) as lording over the Benin kingdom, rather it shows the benin Kingdom as lording over an area which comprises almost all of southern nigeria. You see that is what we call historical document.

Ask yourself why the british (whom you claim wrote your text) don't claim like you that your alafin had any power over Benin ?
Anyway, I don't want to burst your bubble. Keep dreaming kid.

Christistruth00:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 14, 2018
Sentiments wont change the fact that your oyo was a small and young kingdom when it got its ass kicked by the fulani who the Benin Kingdom also fought but defeated.
You can't change the fact that the Benin kingdom fought against the british while oyo welcomed the british as liberators from fulani pressure.
You can't change the fact that Benin Kingdomhad a real imperial palace when they fought the british, the palace was so big that the portuguese say it occupied half of Benin city (the capital of Benin Kingdom).
You can't change the fact about the Benin bronzes.
You can't change the past, you can only change the future.

macof:
to refute his claim you had to insult Oyo?
I'll use your own line

"Look, I get it, you want to uplift your tribe and claim that your king is the greatest whatever historical reality may be. It is only natural, but don't disrespect me by throwing this your mental disability on me"

Oyo was stronger, larger and better organised. The imperial efforts of Oyo in all ramifications trump that of Bini by a long mile. From exposing and extending its language and culture, to establishing outposts ran by imperial tax collectors, creating regions and provinces
Oyo empire at it's greatest heights covered lands reaching the Volta river. Having a kingdom as powerful as dahomey as a vassal.

You don't put Bini above Oyo in terms of might and imperial organization...thats just stupid

Modern Oyo and Osun states are the size of the entire now defunt Bini empire. An Empire the size of just two states in SW encompass almost all of southern Nigeria? You don't know how big southern Nigeria is do you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 14, 2018
Look when you post a map, you have to reference it by posting the website in which you got it so that I can go there myself and verify the authenticity of the map and the date of the map.
It doesn't suffice that you just say "the map comes from ...it was made in ...", I need to be able to verify those things myself.
Also find me a document more than 200 years old in which the word yoruba is mentionned.
ALso I have respect for Ijebu and in no way do I consider them yoruba. They are Ijebu, that is the name of their people, that is a real name, not some name made by haussa and used indiscriminatly to describe people they knew nothing about (y.a.r.i.b.a)

Christistruth00:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 4:25pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:
Look when you post a map, you have to reference it by posting the website in which you got it so that I can go there myself and verify the authenticity of the map and the date of the map.
It doesn't suffice that you just say "the map comes from ...it was made in ...", I need to be able to verify those things myself.
Also find me a document more than 200 years old in which the word yoruba is mentionned.
ALso I have respect for Ijebu and in no way do I consider them yoruba. They are Ijebu, that is the name of their people, that is a real name, not some name made by haussa and used indiscriminatly to describe people they knew nothing about (y.a.r.i.b.a)

Are you disputing the map or are you disputing that
Ijebus are Yorubas?
I would like to remind you that Awolowo who you love to hate was an Ijebu man.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 14, 2018
There is nothing to dispute, give me the website where you got the map. Simple.
After going threw the website, then I can authentifcate or refute the map.
Throwing a map just like that is meaningless, you need to direct people to its origine.
Does this ring a bell in your brain ?

Christistruth00:

Are you disputing the map?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 14, 2018
If I say that I am british and that my people are british, does that make me british ?
Does that make Edo british ?
Ofcourse no !
By the way I do not hate Awolowo.
Christistruth00:

Are you disputing the map or are you disputing that
Ijebus are Yorubas?
I would like to remind you that Awolowo who you love to hate was an Ijebu man.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 6:11pm On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

Oranmiyan was a Yoruba man,and because he set up the monarchy of Benin ,Benin became his tributary ,that is the way the Yorubas did it then ,even the Ga of Accra paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo in the seventeenth century.Benin means Edo in the British colonial Governors document and history confirms it .Dahomey is mentioned separately.
As the Alaafin of Oyo and even after , Benin paid tribute to Oranmiyan , respectfully the Oba of Benin will not deny it.

setting up a monarchy doesnt make the town a tributary, it depends on what ever arrangement was involved in the process and as far as established accounts go, no arrangement of tributary was done between Oyo and Bini
If at all one must claim bini paid tributes it would make a lot more sense to say to Ife, but absolutely not to Oyo

The Ga of accra have nothing to do with this issue.

I just read that the document you shared was written in 1890, that means he wasn't referring to Benin republic as i early postulated. But you have to take European documents with little seriousness, many of such documents lack the knowledge of the simple geography and politics of the areas they write about, that is how the buffoon historyworld031 keeps talking about some european maps that every sane person can see as error filled.

In Africa history today, students learn to take so called "european sources" with high level of scrutiny, there has to be traditional evidence.
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jan 14, 2018
Throwing insults doesn't change facts.
You just can't defeat eye witness accounts with your so called "oral history".
nOW YOU WANT TO CLAIM THAT BENIN KINGDOM PAID TRIBUTE TO little ife village which didn't even have a military worth talking about !?
Yet I guess all the people who visited our ancestors managed to miss that completely in the texts which the wrote.
You call yourself a historian yet you can't even notice the alleged date of a document ?
ALso, you don't seem to understand the fondamental concept of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS. If you write a text describing what took place 300 years before writing your text then you are not writing a historical document. If you write a text today about what is taking place today, then you are writing a historical document. But you don't know this, you are high on the "oral history" which every historian know are easily tempered with. That is why europe doesn't rely on oral history anymore. Religion itself is nothing but oral history (if you look at the old testament, you would notice that it is written thousands of years after the events it describes) or fantastic history.
Any objective erson can see that I am the one whom is using his brain here while you are talking out of sentiments and ignorance.

macof:

If at all one must claim bini paid tributes it would make a lot more sense to say to Ife, but absolutely not to Oyo

I just read that the document you shared was written in 1890, that means he wasn't referring to Benin republic as i early postulated. But you have to take European documents with little seriousness, many of such documents lack the knowledge of the simple geography and politics of the areas they write about, that is how the buffoon historyworld031 keeps talking about some european maps that every sane person can see as error filled.

In Africa history today, students learn to take so called "european sources" with high level of scrutiny, there has to be traditional evidence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 6:39pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:
Sentiments wont change the fact that your oyo was a small and young kingdom when it got its ass kicked by the fulani who the Benin Kingdom also fought but defeated.
You can't change the fact that the Benin kingdom fought against the british while oyo welcomed the british as liberators from fulani pressure.
You can't change the fact that Benin Kingdomhad a real imperial palace when they fought the british, the palace was so big that the portuguese say it occupied half of Benin city (the capital of Benin Kingdom).
You can't change the fact about the Benin bronzes.
You can't change the past, you can only change the future.

1. there is no sentiment in my posts. i just see it as stupidity for anyone to claim oyo as a kingdom or empire was smaller than bini.
2. fulani are renowned fighters in africa, they have been involved in some of the greatest west african millitary and political movements, from the Moors, to the Malian empire, to the Songhai, to Sokoto, to present Nigeria... to establish Sokoto caliphate(which ruled over most of Northern and Central Nigeria) they usurped power from the reputable Hausa kings
so i don't know why you think the fulani are not capable or an insignificant people... goes to show that your stupidity i talk about
3. Oyo empire did not fall simply to fulani defeat, Oyo empire itself was split, with Ilorin(a military and supplies stronghold) declaring independence and war on Oyo. the Ilorin movement was executed by many Oyo muslims(Oyo themselves) who acquired assistance from Sokoto and freed slaves of the Oyo empire. So it was majorly Oyo empire against itself
4. It was Nupe who Bini fought not Fulani
5. Oyo welcoming the british due to Ilorin pressure after its fall doesn't take away the history of its might during it's imperial days.. use common sense
6. Bini bronzes and palace have nothing to do the size and imperial might
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2018
1) The fulani have actually been very subservant to european countries and arab countries. They are a people who have the reputation of doing the bidding of the white whom they serve in a master slave relationship.

2) You have to try and be honnest with yourself, throwing insults shows that you are talking out of sentiments. Then you go on with your sentimental guess work about the size of oyo and so on. The size of the Benin empire is on pre-colonial maps and available for all to see.

3) You keep calling Benin by "bini" for what reason exactly ? I still can't figure.

4)Then you go and claim oyo empire (there is still no proof that oyo were ever an empire).

5) Good work at trying to glorify the fulani in order to make the defeat of oyo (which had to run away from its capital and establish itself in a forrest) look like a glorious thing.

6) The Benin Kingdom fought many wars and one of those was against the fulani jihadists and Benin won. I know you believe that if your yoruba people can't do something, then surely nobody else can (sentiments).

7) I don't see the point of talking to you, you lack self awearness and you know nothing about history.

8 ) by the way nice work at attributing each black african islamic kingdom to the fulani, it really show your kind of "historian", the kind who thinks all black muslims were fulani.

macof:

1. there is no sentiment in my posts. i just see it as stupidity for anyone to claim oyo as a kingdom or empire was smaller than bini.
2. fulani are renowned fighters in africa, they have been involved in some of the greatest west african millitary and political movements, from the Moors, to the Malian empire, to the Songhai, to Sokoto, to present Nigeria... to establish Sokoto caliphate(which ruled over most of Northern and Central Nigeria) they usurped power from the reputable Hausa kings
so i don't know why you think the fulani are not capable or an insignificant people... goes to show that your stupidity i talk about
3. Oyo empire did not fall simply to fulani defeat, Oyo empire itself was split, with Ilorin(a military and supplies stronghold) declaring independence and war on Oyo. the Ilorin movement was executed by many Oyo muslims(Oyo themselves) who acquired assistance from Sokoto and freed slaves of the Oyo empire. So it was majorly Oyo empire against itself
4. It was Nupe who Bini fought not Fulani
5. Oyo welcoming the british due to Ilorin pressure after its fall doesn't take away the history of its might during it's imperial days.. use common sense
6. Bini bronzes and palace have nothing to do the size and imperial might

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 7:36pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:
Throwing insults doesn't change facts.
You just can't defeat eye witness accounts with your so called "oral history".
nOW YOU WANT TO CALIM THAT bENIN KINGDOM PAID TRIBUTE TO littel ife village which didn't even have a military worth talking about !?
Yet I guess all the people who visited our ancestors managed to miss that completely in the texts which the wrote.
You call yourself a historian yet you can't even notice the alleged date of a document ?
ALso, you don't seem to understand the fondamental concept of HISTORICAL DOCUMENTS. If you write a text describing what took place 300 years before writing your text then you are not writing a historical document. If you write a text today about what is taking place today, then you are writing a historical document. But you don't know this, you are high on the "oral history" which every historian know are easily tempered with. That is why europe doesn't rely on oral history anymore. Religion itself is nothing but oral history (if you look at the old testament, you would notice that it is written thousands of years after the events it describes) or fantastic history.
Any objective erson can see that I am the one whom is using his brain here while you are talking out of sentiments and ignorance.

European sources are largely not "eye witness" accounts. The concept of historical document belongs to the topic of Historical Source which can be either primary or secondary category. Africa lacks written records therefore the concept of historical documents are majorly considered secondary source

direct me to any reputable historian who has ever debunked oral traditions as a valid source in African history, it is in fact impossible,
Types of Historical sources include ; texts, objects, abstracts and oral
oral and abstract sources will always be included as a source especially in africa

And just because something is written doesn't make it historically accurate, hence the need for Source scrutiny

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by SicilianMafia: 9:22pm On Jan 14, 2018
[s]
macof:

European sources are largely not "eye witness" accounts. The concept of historical document belongs to the topic of Historical Source which can be either primary or secondary category. Africa lacks written records therefore the concept of historical documents are majorly considered secondary source

direct me to any reputable historian who has ever debunked oral traditions as a valid source in African history, it is in fact impossible,
oral and abstract sources will always be included as a source especially in africa

And just because something is written doesn't make it historically accurate, hence the need for Source scrutiny

[/s]

Stop talking trash!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by macof(m): 9:37pm On Jan 14, 2018
SicilianMafia:
[s][/s]

Stop talking trash!!
You do realize Bini is African right, therefore that post applies to Bini as well? Bini history like other people of sub-saharan africa is based on oral traditions. learn to be open minded especially to matters of your fellow africans, you could be damaging yourself by trying to attack a neighbor without purpose

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by GrammarCheck: 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:

Are you answering this copy and paste individual? Historyworld031 has no knowledge of anything. Unfortunately, he unintelligently cannot discern so.

Someone who is asking why you refer to Benin as Bini has no knowledge at all, and I believe should be ignored
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by GrammarCheck: 9:50pm On Jan 14, 2018
SicilianMafia:
[s][/s]

Stop talking trash!!

I believe you are the one talking trash

1 Like

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by GrammarCheck: 9:51pm On Jan 14, 2018
historyworld031:
1) The fulani have actually been very subservant to european countries and arab countries. They are a people who have the reputation of doing the bidding of the white whom they serve in a master slave relationship.

2) You have to try and be honnest with yourself, throwing insults shows that you are talking out of sentiments. Then you go on with your sentimental guess work about the size of oyo and so on. The size of the Benin empire is on pre-colonial maps and available for all to see.

3) You keep calling Benin by "bini" for what reason exactly ? I still can't figure.

4)Then you go and claim oyo empire (there is still no proof that oyo were ever an empire).

5) Good work at trying to glorify the fulani in order to make the defeat of oyo (which had to run away from its capital and establish itself in a forrest) look like a glorious thing.

6) The Benin Kingdom fought many wars and one of those was against the fulani jihadists and Benin won. I know you believe that if your yoruba people can't do something, then surely nobody else can (sentiments).

7) I don't see the point of talking to you, you lack self awearness and you know nothing about history.

8 ) by the way nice work at attributing each black african islamic kingdom to the fulani, it really show your kind of "historian", the kind who thinks all black muslims were fulani.

Bad grammar. Historian extraordinaire
Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 14, 2018
I can no longer believe that you are currently studying history, unless you are a very bad student.
So to you the europeans who came to meet our ancestors for trade are not eye witness ?
Do you have an other definition for eye witness ?
Also you seem to not understand the definition of "history". History is a science which studies historical documents.
You seem to be confusing "history" and "story"; History is a story backed by historical documents.
Oral tradition is not a historical document.
Please give me the contact of your lecturers, I need to have a word with them.
I just can't understand how anybody could say he studies history and yet claim that "oral history" is more accurate than eye witness accounts.
Do you actually believe this or do you just think you can fool everybody else with this statement ?
Rejection of eye witness account can only be likened to what the nazis did when they were burning down books which didn't please them, or what the catholic church did when it was burning down scientific research which proved the earth to revolve around the sun.
Basically, you have a claim and you don't want competition from actual irrevocable sources (in this case eye witness account).
Oral tradition is even less accurate than mere rumors. Anyway, if anybody is teaching the good values of oral tradition in any university, please let me know, so that I could inform the global community of historians which would shame the imposter.

macof:

Re: Lagos Belongs To Awori, The Bini Met Them There- Akintoye by Christistruth00: 6:13am On Jan 15, 2018
macof:

setting up a monarchy doesnt make the town a tributary, it depends on what ever arrangement was involved in the process and as far as established accounts go, no arrangement of tributary was done between Oyo and Bini

After Oranmiyan left Benin,he became the Alaafin of Oyo and Benin paid him and subsequent Alaafins tribute!!

If you read Samuel Johnsons history of the Yorubas and Jacob Egherevba book (A short history of Benin) you will know that Benin was a tributary of the Alaafin of Oyo. Every serious student of history knows this fact. Jacob Egherevba was a Benin high Chief.
The British Governors document merely confirmed a very well known fact. I say this with humility but this is primary school history.

"In a valuable letter by the Rev. S. A. Crowther (afterwards Bishop) to Thomas J. Hutchinson, Esq., Her Britannic Majesty's consul for the Bight of Biafra and the Island of Fernando Po, published as Appendix A to the book entitled " Impressions of Western Africa,"^ we find the following graphic description of the country:—. . .

" This part of the country of which Lagos in the Bight of Benin is the seaport, is generally known as the Yoruba country, extending from the Bight to within two or three days' journey to the banks of the Niger.^ This country comprises many tribes governed by their own chiefs and having their own laws. At one time they were all tributaries to one Sovereign, the King of Yoruba, including Benin on the East, and Dahomey on the West, but are now independent. ' Longmans, Green & Co., 1858. "^

i.e. At the time of writing.—Ed. The principal tribes into which this kingdom is divided are as follows :—The Egbados : This division includes Otta and Lagos near the sea coast, forming a belt of country on the banks of the lagoon in the forest, to Ketu on the border of Dahomey on the West ; then the Jebu on the East on the border of Benin; then the Egbas of the forest now known as the Egbas of Abeokuta. Then comes Yoruba proper northwards in the plain ; Ife, Ijesha, Ijamo, EfoH, Ondo, Idoko, Igbomina, and Ado near the banks of the Niger, from which a creek or stream a little below Iddah is called Do or Iddo River."

(Culled from Samuel Johnsons "History of the Yorubas"wink

Can you see that even Bishop Ajayi Crowther confirmed it in his letter.

"In fact we may almost take it as proved that as Oranmiyan and his army, as well as his brothers', pushed on their conquests in every direction, the princes and the war-lords were stationed in various parts to hold the country, and from them sprang the many provincial kings of various ranks and grades now existing. This also accounts for the tradition that the Yoruba sway once extended as far as Ashanti and included the Gas of Accra, for the Gas say that their ancestors came from Ile Ife; and the constitution of the Ga language is said to be more like Yoruba than hke Fanti, the language of the Gold Coast, and the area in which that language is spoken is strictly limited And, certainly, until comparatively recent times the Popos and Dahomians paid tribute regularly to Oyo as their feudal head ; it is certain, therefore, that the generals and war-lords of Oranmiyan pushed on far beyond the limits of the Yoruba country as now known, and although in places remote from »5 the centre, as the Benins and Sekiris in the east and the Popos, Dahomians and Gas in the west, the Yoruba language is not spoken, yet the knowledge of it exists among the ruling chiefs and the priestly caste who still maintain their connection with He Ife, the place of their common origin. This view will also to some extent explain the mutual understanding and bond of sympathy existing between the Ifes, Ekitis, and allied families as remnants of the largely diluted aboriginal elements still having many things in common, and their natural antipathy—more or less—to the Oyos or Yorubas Proper. It is also worthy of remark that all the principal rulers of the country, to show the validity of their claims, must trace their relationship by one way or another to the Alafin of Oyo, who is the direct descendant of Oranmiyan, son and successor of Oduduwa, the founder; which simply implies that the children and offspring of the conqueror are the chief rulers over the different parts of the conquered territories."

(Culled from Samuel Johnsons " History of the Yorubas"wink published in 1921

Benin paid tribute to the Alaafin of Oyo !!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Itan Ilorin Laderin / Why The Hate Against Caribbean Women? / Attah Of Igala Didn’t Invoke Thunder On Fulani Herdsmen – Palace Source

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 200
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.