Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,529 members, 7,837,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! (4597 Views)

Court Orders: We Will Cut Buhari To Size – Judges / APC Crisis: Northern Leaders Move To Cut Tinubu To Size / President Jonathan Asked Sanusi To Resign But He Refused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 3:04pm On Apr 04, 2010
Who is deleting my posts, ?
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by wirinet(m): 4:23pm On Apr 04, 2010
paddy_lo:

Who is deleting my posts, ?

No body is deleting you posts, it is being swallowed up by the spam bot because it is too long. Try breaking it up into two or three posts.

I read the post from your profile.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by Ibime(m): 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ paddy lo,

It is not a central banks duty to speculate on the price of its major export going up. It is the banks duty to protect the baseline should the price fall.

Hedging (with Options at least) does not compel you to sell your oil (at whatever strike-price agreed with the counterparty). If the price goes up to a level where it is no longer worth it to sell to the counterparty, you simply pay off the premium, and aluta continue to sell to the highest bidder.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 5:32pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ paddy lo,

It is not a central banks duty to speculate on the price of its major export going up. It is the banks duty to protect the baseline should the price fall.

Hedging (with Options at least) does not compel you to sell your oil (at whatever strike-price agreed with the counterparty). If the price goes up to a level where it is no longer worth it to sell to the counterparty, you simply pay off the premium, and aluta continue to sell to the highest bidder.

The Central banks duty is not to protect any baseline, but to maintain price stability
and come out with policies that promote employment and economic growth
the excess crude oil method we have employed for the past 5yrs has worked

what exactly is the issue with keeping that method?
why spend money hedging when u can consistently budget for spending below the spot price?

Sanusi is just chasing shadows, Hedging may not compel u to do anything,
but unwinding your hedges will cost u money, why spend money on unnecessary hedges when u can just lowball your budget and smooth out your spending over time?

I cant imagine anyone asking Nigeria to commit to supply half its oil production at $37/barrel, when oil is trading at $85
that is just madness

Again we just came through the worst recession since the great depression relatively unscathed
because of our ability to save our excess earnings,

If its not broke, Mr Sanusi should not try to fix it
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 5:59pm On Apr 04, 2010
The excess crude oil account approach is just an internal buffer and its effectiveness requires that your average oil price be above your budgeted value. If it ever falls below, you will need to borrow money or default from your budgeted expenditure, and likely end up with a budget deficit. It is even less effective if the excess of 'good' months are spent as has been agreed by the three tiers of government in Nigeria. Also the excess crude account provides no buffer against variation in oil production or opec quota changes.
Hedging is complimentary to the ECO account, and not a replacement. You want predictability and bounds on your income.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 6:14pm On Apr 04, 2010
The excess crude oil account approach is just an internal buffer and its effectiveness requires that your average oil price be above your budgeted value. If it ever falls below, you will need to borrow money or default from your budgeted expenditure, and likely end up with a budget deficit. It is even less effective if the excess of 'good' months are spent as has been agreed by the three tiers of government in Nigeria. Also the excess crude account provides no buffer against variation in oil production or opec quota changes.
Hedging is complimentary to the ECO account, and not a replacement. You want predictability and bounds on your income.

[b]Hedging is a new word SANUSI just learnt, give me a break,
The Excess Crude again like i point out has served us well in the darkest days of the great worldwide recession of 2008

For the past decade the scenario u paint above has only happened once in 10yrs(that was in 2009)
and when it happened(oil below budgeted value),there was already excess saved funds to tap from,

Again u say excess crude provides no buffer against variation in oil production/OPEC quota
I really dont see what that (variation in oil production or opec quota changes)has got to do with anything,(Another fundamental misconception of hedging by SANUSI and u apparently)
because even while hedged u are compelled to supply a certain amount say (1million b/d) at a certain price,for a certain time period

so reduction in production due to attacks will not necessarily save u from anything(unless u are talking of insurance which is a different matter)

One more thing u have to know is that hedging is serious business
u cant just wake up one morning and discontinue your hedges (like someone suggested above)
without paying penalties or huge fees
It is also time specific(1,6,12months) and so on,

So by the time u actually want to unwind such hedges, u might already have lost billions of dollars by selling your crude below
market prices, in addition to the cost involved in putting those hedges up in the first place
[/b]
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by kole1(m): 6:41pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ naijaking. pls i will like to contact you through an e-mail based on one of your past posts. niyijamesco@yahoo.com is my e-mail. Thanks.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by wirinet(m): 6:49pm On Apr 04, 2010
I have to lean towards Paddy_lo's argument here, as he understands the futures market more than most people. Since the Excess crude account had served use well in the past, why change it now. Whether we hedge or not does not guarantee that the budget would be implemented or that we would not run a deficit budget.

Also i do not think it part of Sanusi's mandate to tell the government how to sell its oil, that should be part of the government fiscal policy and is not a monetary policy.

As i said hedging in such a corrupt and unstable environment would be counterproductive.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 6:53pm On Apr 04, 2010
@wirinet
I have no pretentions as to my position on Sanusi's performances, I use a simple yardstick: value of my investment portfolio in Nigeria on any given day.
I have made my position known, but some of you would never make their own position known, even when it's glaringly obvious that you're either a paid agent of CBN, an ethnic associate of the Sanusi, or even a religious bigot meddling in financial affairs of the nation.
Yes, none of the ridiculous allegations against the CEOs have been proven in a court of law, and having gone through that issue and basic civic lessons with other Sanusi agents here on N/L, I don't intend to repeat it. Just go buy a small book on civics, and you will understand that "all accussed persons are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law"

@biina
You're faking ignorance of Sanusi's strong political connections with the presidency of Yar'dua. Despite being a member of the Kano/Katsina/Kaduna-K3 mafia, everybody knew that Sanusi basically worked his personal agenda into the the financial policies of this nation without interuption from either the mininster of finance, national planning, or the the president, because they were all K3 buddy buddies. Sanusi is a better politican than he is a banker.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 7:00pm On Apr 04, 2010
naijaking1:

@biina
You're faking ignorance of Sanusi's strong political connections with the presidency of Yar'dua. Despite being a member of the Kano/Katsina/Kaduna-K3 mafia, everybody knew that Sanusi basically worked his personal agenda into the the financial policies of this nation without interuption from either the mininster of finance, national planning, or the the president, because they were all K3 buddy buddies. Sanusi is a better politican than he is a banker.
I dont have the time for someone whose argument are based solely on conjectures and flase claims. Feel free to believe anything that lets you sleep at night
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by Ibime(m): 7:21pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ Paddylo,

paddy_lo:

The Central banks duty is not to protect any baseline, but to maintain price stability

The point of hedging is to ensure that you do achieve price stability.

paddy_lo:

why spend money hedging when u can consistently budget for spending below the spot price?

Excess crude fund is exactly in keeping with Sanusis proposals. I dont see the conflict there. The question is if the $67 set is too high, and production levels are overestimated (beware of MEND). . . . this could possibly leave a black hole in the budget knowing the instability of crude oil markets.

And who says you are spending substantial money hedging?. . . if you forfeit a $5 premium on a $100 barrel of oil, you lose not much. . . if however oil falls well below your agreed price, then you stand to gain a whole lot.

Also:

paddy_lo:

Hedging is a new word SANUSI just learnt, give me a break,

Dont be silly. Hedging is lesson 101 for anyone in the risk industry, Sanusi's chosen specialty. If you were to doubt his knowledge in any area, surely not this.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 7:43pm On Apr 04, 2010
@ Paddylo,
The point of hedging is to ensure that you do achieve price stability with crude oil. Excess crude fund is exactly in keeping with Sanusis proposals. I dont see the conflict there. The question is if the $67 set is too high, and could possibly leave a black hole in the budget knowing the instability of crude oil markets.

[b]The point i make is that Nigeria has already managed to achieve price stability with the use of EXcess crude
u have to know that the ability of Nigeria to survive oil plunging from $140 - $40 is no mean feat,
achieved by the strict savings of excess crude funds by the OBJ govt(to the tune of $20billion)

My point is just that we dont need another layer added on top of excess crude in d form of Hedging
which can blow up in your face and cause unnecessary angst. . .

The problem now is to get the Acting president to keep the politicians at bay
and stop sharing money from excess crude like idiots every 3 months

Dont be silly. Hedging is lesson 101 for anyone in the risk industry, Sanusi's chosen specialty.
I dont mean to be mean but i seriously question Sanusis practical abilities
Nigerian universities are not known to be top notch centres for study of economics

to make matters worse his advanced degree is in religious studies. . . .

does he really know how an options contract works,what about futures?
I mean there is barely any derivative trading going on in Nigeria or sudan for that matter(where he got his masters)

If u must know i did my Bs in Economics in Nigeria(yr of 2003),and barely had any lessons on how to price derivatives like options or futures
It was only when i got here that i was exposed to them
now to think someone like me might have more knowledge about concepts of Advanced derivatives than your CBN governor is
well,not very inspiring to say the least

I just wish he went to a place like the LSE or Chicagos School of economics(Univ of chicago), and actually lived in a real capitalist society like the USA or UK
for a while to understand the pracitcal aspects of that theoretical garbage they teach us in Nigeria[/b]
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 8:10pm On Apr 04, 2010
So what is the current balance in the excess crude oil account? just $3.2billion and will likely be empty soon. undecided
The excess crude oil account saves excess revenue (not price differential) and is managed on a monthly basis. The 3 tiers of government (and not the FG alone) have agreed to spend the excess.
Oil revenue depends on both oil prices and oil production. Nigeria has fallen below the projected revenue on several occasions (due to lower prices and/or reduce production)
The ECO account (if properly maintained) buffers the governments income from short term ripples in our oil revenue. It does not protect the revenue from adverse events.
Hedging would bound the variation in revenue which will in turn make managing the ECO account more effective. They are complementary and not to be interchanged.
Hedging is used to minimize the impact of an adverse effect, and even taking out an insurance is a form of hedging your position.
The decision on hedging should be based on the potential losses and the cost of the hedging.
But seems you have already concluded on how, and the associated costs of the hedging, and thus it is wrong. If hedging is as bad as you paint it, I wonder why so many people do it undecided
I dont know what you do for a living, but hedging is not as esoteric as you are trying to make it.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 9:06pm On Apr 04, 2010
So what is the current balance in the excess crude oil account? just $3.2billion and will likely be empty soon.

True however oil is at $85 but the budget is priced at $67, so excess crude should begin to fill up for the rest of the yr
as long as there is no more sharing

The excess crude oil account saves excess revenue (not price differential) and is managed on a monthly basis. The 3 tiers of government (and not the FG alone) have agreed to spend the excess
True but hedging is usually based on price. . .Also with the amnesty in place,Nigeria output has room to rise,
dont forget our quota does not include condensate which alone is 600,000 barrels on top of our quota of 2million barrels
right now we actually produce a little over 2million bpd, plus our condensate production
As for the Govt,well i believe a strong federal Govt can prevail on the states to reduce Govt spending
afterall its the Fed Govt that usually produces the budget,and can equally refuse to sign any supplementary budget based on excess crude funds

The decision on hedging should be based on the potential losses and the cost of the hedging.
But seems you have already concluded on how, and the associated costs of the hedging, and thus it is wrong. If hedging is as bad as you paint it, I wonder why so many people do it
click on my profile and read my post that didnt register on here(due to the spambot),and u will know why even though lots of companies do it
its not really easy to pull off and usually does blow up in such companies faces, esp commodity hedges

as for my conclusion, i only really became alarmed based on this quote below from sanusi,

[size=16pt]"Mexico has done it, and you can hedge half of your production at $37 per barrel so that whatever happens to the price of oil you will not be hit hard". [/size]

[b]I just believe with oil at $85, US economy expanding,Asian and BRIC countries growing again, Europe flat and Africa projected to grow this yr as well
that any talk of $37- $40 oil is misplaced.  . . . .if he really wants to hedge, he should hedge in a range of strike prices btw $70 - $100 a barrel. . .(involving a downside put @70 and an upside call @100 on oil Futures)
to put it in lay mans terms if the price falls to Zero, Nigeria would still be paid $70 a barrel for each barrel of oil entered into contract to deliver

and if oil prices rises past $100 to say $140 our gains are capped at $100, and we forfeit whatever upside there is to be had(or unwind the trade,whichever is cheaper),

However i feel all this is unnecessary, our politicians are too much of illiterates to understand it anyway
Try explaining to the NASS why oil is at $140 but u can only make $100 due to some hedging contracts u entered into?

The much simpler way like i said earlier is to stick with Excess crude and put political pressure on the politicians to cut spending,
afterall they were the ones that raised the benchmark budget from $57 TO $67 For this yr
It will make it easier for everyone to understand. . .we save whatever is above the budget,times whatever we produce for the month[/b]
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 9:59pm On Apr 04, 2010
paddy_lo:

True however oil is at $85 but the budget is priced at $67, so excess crude should begin to fill up for the rest of the yr
as long as there is no more sharing

Not just sharing but that our revenue stays above the projected $67 X 2.3 billion. A fall in price or production can result in reduced revenue meaning deficit spending.

True but hedging is usually based on price. . .Also with the amnesty in place,Nigeria output has room to rise,
dont forget our quota does not include condensate which alone is 600,000 barrels on top of our quota of 2million barrels
right now we actually produce a little over 2million bpd, plus our condensate production
As for the Govt,well i believe a strong federal Govt can prevail on the states to reduce Govt spending
afterall its the Fed Govt that usually produces the budget,and can equally refuse to sign any supplementary budget based on excess crude funds

click on my profile and read my post that didnt register on here(due to the spambot),and u will know why even though lots of companies do it
its not really easy to pull off and usually does blow up in such companies faces, esp commodity hedges
The agreement has been made to spend the money. $4.8 billion was deducted in March and the account is simply being abused.
Besides our OPEC quota (which we are currently exceeding), unrest in the Niger delta could result in reduced production and in turn reduced revenue

as for my conclusion, i only really became alarmed based on this quote below from sanusi,
"Mexico has done it, and you can hedge half of your production at $37 per barrel so that whatever happens to the price of oil you will not be hit hard".

I just believe with oil at $85, US economy expanding,Asian and BRIC countries growing again, Europe flat and Africa projected to grow this yr as well
that any talk of $37- $40 oil is misplaced.  . . . .if he really wants to hedge, he should hedge in a range of strike prices btw $70 - $100 a barrel. . .(involving a downside put @70 and an upside call @100 on oil Futures)
to put it in lay mans terms if the price falls to Zero, Nigeria would still be paid $70 a barrel for each barrel of oil entered into contract to deliver

and if oil prices rises past $100 to say $140 our gains are capped at $100, and we forfeit whatever upside there is to be had(or unwind the trade,whichever is cheaper),

However i feel all this is unnecessary, our politicians are too much of illiterates to understand it anyway
Try explaining to the NASS why oil is at $140 but u can only make $100 due to some hedging contracts u entered into?

The much simpler way like i said earlier is to stick with Excess crude and put political pressure on the politicians to cut spending,
afterall they were the ones that raised the benchmark budget from $57 TO $67 For this yr
It will make it easier for everyone to understand. . .we save whatever is above the budget,times whatever we produce for the month

The statement says 'you can' and not you should or must. Where, when and how to hedge will depend on various factors e.g. the lesser our projected revenue is from actual, the less we need to hedge.
There is no guarantee that oil prices will stay up: it could sky rocket to $100+ and could also nose dive to less than $50. Nobody knows the future, and all are speculations (some more reasonable than others).
The uncertainty in oil revenue is more towards the second half of the year, when the winter is no more and Iraqi supplies might result in a glut.
A hedging position guarantees us a minimum price for our oil, which makes managing the ECO account easier (cos even if they dont spend anything from the ECO acct, if average cumulative oil revenue for the year drops below our projections the government will need short term loans). It comes at a cost and that is what should be weighed against the probability of and potential losses.
For me the key is to do it right - hedge at the right cost for the right amount of security.

Note: You dont necessarily have to hedge on both sides. In fact, given that we supply the commodity, we can let the higher end free run and only secure the lower end. Bracket edging is more suitable for investment portfolio management.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 3:57am On Apr 05, 2010
biina:

I dont have the time for someone whose argument are based solely on conjectures and flase claims. Feel free to believe anything that lets you sleep at night

What is the conjecture here? I'm sure you were not living on planet earth when a senator challanged and querried the appointment of a CBN governor from Kano when the ministers of finance, national planning, and economic adviser in addition to the president are all from from Katsina/Kano/Kaduna. The senator wondered whatever happened to federal character.
Lose of confidence in our financial system did not just start with this appointment, but it contiuned with the guys behaviors as a CBN governor. Almost nobody trusts the fin. minister---alh. whatever to supervise the rogue activities Sanusi.
Anyway, thanks for not asking me for evidence to show that Sanusi is really from Kano angry
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 4:29am On Apr 05, 2010
naijaking1:

What is the conjecture here? I'm sure you were not living on planet earth when a senator challanged and querried the appointment of a CBN governor from Kano when the ministers of finance, national planning, and economic adviser in addition to the president are all from from Katsina/Kano/Kaduna. The senator wondered whatever happened to federal character.
Lose of confidence in our financial system did not just start with this appointment, but it contiuned with the guys behaviors as a CBN governor. Almost nobody trusts the fin. minister---alh. whatever to supervise the rogue activities Sanusi.
Anyway, thanks for not asking me for evidence to show that Sanusi is really from Kano angry
The conjecture is that you made claims that Sanusi fired some directors because they disagreed with him.
- you failed to provide any evidence that the directors did disagree with Sanusi (all you referenced was a misguided article with no credible sources, which didn't even know that they were non-executive directors and not deputy governors)
- you failed to show that the directors were actually fired by sanusi, but that their tenures were simply not renewed. You subsequently claimed that it was sanusi that manipulated this.
- You failed to provide any evidence of Sanusi manipulating the presidency or senate.

Your recent claim (without evidence) was that Sanusi "basically worked his personal agenda into the the financial policies of this nation" simply because he is from Kano and 'K3 buddy' with minister of finance, national planning, or the the president. You provided no substantiated evidence (and please dont make reference to the nonsense from RP) that he is implementing a personal agenda nor that his actions are supported only by the other 3 personalities. Hopefully we will have a new finance minister who is not from the north and we will see if you soon condemn that one too if he supports Sanusi's actions

Note: prime candidate for FM, Aganaga has already hinted at his approval of Sanusi's actions saying
On the capital market crisis, he stated, “When you talk about issues about the capital market, most of it are homemade issues and that is the fact that we were too fast, but I think some of my colleagues are already taking actions to correct that and we need to focus on both the banking and capital market reforms.”

Now you are jumping to the question of federal character which has nothing to do with the topic at hand, or Sanusi's overall competence or did Sanusi also 'fire' the senator that raised the issue of national character? undecided

BTW you have provided no evidence that Sanusi is indeed from Kano or that he is a prince grin
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 4:52am On Apr 05, 2010
^^^^
It will be nice to see how Aganga works with Sanusi.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by RoadStar: 5:48pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^^^^^
,  since we never noticed how Alhaji Whatever worked with Sanusi. grin
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 7:38pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^^^
Yep, that's right shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 7:59pm On Apr 05, 2010
The former minister, Mukhtar, was qualified, but one cannot say that he has been active (talk less of judging his competence). Babalola seem to have been more vocal.
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 8:11pm On Apr 05, 2010
^^^
That's another reason for lack of confidence in our financial system; to have a minister asleep at the wheel, a president that disappears for 4 months, and national economic advicer more loyal to sick or dead president that to his country, and don't forget Sanusi, yeah, Sanusi of CBN embarassed
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by paddylo1(m): 9:26pm On Apr 06, 2010
[b][size=14pt]U.S. Raises 2010 Oil Price Outlook on Economic Growth[/size] (Update2)

April 6 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. government increased its crude oil price forecast for 2010 on projections that the global economy will rebound through the end of the year.

West Texas Intermediate oil, the U.S. benchmark, will average $80.74 a barrel this year, up from last month’s forecast of $80.06, according to the Energy Department’s monthly Short- Term Energy Outlook, released today. That’s 31 percent higher than the 2009 average price of $61.66 a barrel.

Oil prices are forecast to climb 3.4 percent in 2011 to an average $83.50, the report showed. The estimate for next year was unchanged from last month’s report.

“Our price projections haven’t changed by much in the last five months, which has to be some kind of record,” said Tancred Lidderdale, a government economist in Washington who supervised the monthly outlook. “The changes that have occurred are in the near-term months, and that’s due to spot and futures prices, which have been very volatile.”

Crude oil traded on the New York Mercantile Exchange reached $87.09 a barrel today, the highest level since Oct. 9, 2008. Futures for May delivery rose 22 cents, or 0.3 percent, to settle at $86.84. Prices are up 9.4 percent this year.

Regular gasoline, averaged nationwide, will cost $2.92 a gallon from April through September, according to the report from the Energy Information Administration, the department’s statistical arm. The retail price is up from $2.44 a gallon last summer and is unchanged from last month’s estimate.

Global Consumption

The department trimmed its outlook for global oil consumption this year to 85.5 million barrels a day from 85.51 million last month. That’s up 1.7 percent from last year’s 84.04 million. Demand will climb to 87.11 million in 2011, up 0.1 percent from last month’s projection.

U.S. oil use will average 18.84 million barrels a day this year, up 150,000 barrels from 2009. This year’s forecast was reduced by 50,000 barrels from the March estimate.

Demand from the 30 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development will average 45.41 million barrels a day this year, the report showed. The forecast was cut by 70,000 barrels from last month. OECD consumption will rise 220,000 barrels to 45.63 million barrels a day in 2011. Next year’s estimate was down 110,000 barrels from the March report.

The OECD doesn’t include developing countries such as China, India and Brazil. Consumption by non-OECD countries will rise 1.43 million barrels to 40.09 million barrels a day this year. The forecast is up 60,000 barrels from last month. Demand in emerging economies will climb 1.39 million barrels to 41.48 million in 2011, the report showed.

“We continue to be surprised by growth in Asia and the Middle East,” Lidderdale said. Growth in developed countries “has been very lackluster.”[/b]
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a4zU28wI0xgs

Congrats to Mr Segun Aganga, Now hope he can bring some adult supervision to the Central Bank and Mr Sanusi
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by naijaking1: 2:40am On Apr 07, 2010
^^^^
Paddy lo
Thanks for your illuminative efforts. I also pray that Aganga will bring some sanity to the current madness on the financial scene. Also of not is the return of Babalola who has already started questioning the philisophy of Sanusi
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by PapaBrowne(m): 3:05am On Apr 08, 2010
Excellent contributions on this thread! I always learn a thing or two when you guys converge!
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by PapaBrowne(m): 8:00am On Apr 08, 2010
SANUSI’S FIRST BANK: THE MAN’S HYPOCRISY AND DOUBLE STANDARDS

Apr 6th, 2010 | By Victor Shodipo | Category: Issues

The statement below is an excerpt from an Equity Research Report of StanbicIBTC Plc (StanbicIBTC is a leading investment firm and deeply involved in CBN’s reforms as Adviser) published in ThisDay of Sunday, March 21, 2010, page 31.

“Given First Bank of Nigeria’s exposure to the oil and gas company SeaWolf, the bank faces risks of oil price volatility and instability in the oil and gas sector. The bank’s credit exposure to the company is currently about 29% of its shareholders’ funds. The CBN has instructed the bank to reduce its exposure to 20% by 31 March 2010. The bank intends to sell down its exposure to 15% but we do not believe this is likely because of the current low risk appetite in the (banking) industry”.

In July 2007, First Bank provided SeaWolf a US$260m bridge facility for the following:
• To acquire 100% of the equity of Mosvold Jack up Ltd (a publicly traded offshore drilling company quoted on the Norway Oslo Exchange)

• To make scheduled payments for two rigs under construction (MSV 104 and MSV, renamed Oristetimeyin and Onome)

• Make down payments for the purchase of West Titania (now Delta Queen) from Seadrill and;

• Meet operational and administrative expenses.

The global economic crisis, which resulted in a huge dip in oil prices, had a negative effect on the quality of the loan and the bank had to convert some of it to equity and also extend the duration due to low cash flows from the project.
Source: Thisday, Sunday March 21, 2010.

This loan to a single company is currently 29% of FBN shareholders’ funds according to the Stanbic IBTC Plc equity report. As at September 2009, First Bank’s Shareholders funds stood at N309 billion. 29% of this comes to N89 billion. This means First Bank’s current exposure to just a single loan is N89 billion well above the 20% limit set by the CBN!

It is important to note that this loan is not performing as expected hence the bank’s initiative to convert part of the loan to equity and sell a portion.
The Daily Independent Newspapers, it will be recalled on January 20, 2010, had done an extensive report on the shady dealings that went into this facility which was given when Mallam Sanusi was the Chief Risk Officer of First Bank and later supervised as its MD/CEO.

Despite the fact that this loan is of doubtful recovery, the CBN under Mallam Sanusi turned a blind eye to this facility. First Bank’s total provision was N29 billion when it should not have been less than N118 billion if the provision for SeaWolf alone is added. This loan also raises more fundamental issues.

• What sort of ‘Risk Expert’ will approve the granting of an N89 billion loan to a single company that as at the time of collecting the loan was less than a year old?

• The Company was incorporated the same year (2007) it applied and got $260 million facility from First Bank of Nigeria Plc.

• Is it not hypocrisy that the same Mallam Sanusi that recommended the approval of this loan now turns round and refers to other bank MDs’ as reckless?

• What could be more reckless than risking 29% of your shareholders’ funds on a single obligor that has no track record in its industry of operation?

• Is it not the same global economic crises that torpedoed this business that also affected the Nigerian stock market for which reason Mallam Sanusi invaded the targeted banks?

The above report clearly further reveals the hypocrisy of the Mallam Sanusi’s largely personal attacks on the removed bank Managing Directors. This is a loan that has gone totally bad or at best has entered the stage of doubtful recovery.

While CBN forced its captured banks to make full and immediate provision for all facilities of doubtful recovery on its books, Mallam Sanusi has secretly given First Bank up to 31 March 2010, to “reduce its exposure to 20% of shareholders funds.”

Clearly, what is good for Sanusi at First Bank is not good for other banks.

MR. AG PRESIDENT, NIGERIANS COUNT ON YOU TO RESTORE ECONOMIC SANITY AND PROGRESS.
SIGNED

VICTOR SHODIPO
RENAISSANCE PROFESSIONALS
victorshodipo@renaissanceprofessionals.com
Re: Meet "the Renaissance Professionals" - They Have Cut Sanusi To Size! by biina: 9:17am On Apr 08, 2010
RE: SANUSI’S FIRST BANK: THE MAN’S HYPOCRISY AND DOUBLE STANDARDS

http://www.firstbanknigeria.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Hs6PU3BCKLY%3D&tabid=419&mid=1529

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity In Ibadan / Breaking News!! Boko Haram Have Hoisted Their Flag In Mubi-adamawa / See The Original Biafra Map And Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.