Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Ekaette Song Gets Banned - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Ekaette Song Gets Banned (12509 Views)

New List Of Songs Banned By NBC - Includes Olamide's Shakitibobo / Download Iyanya Ft Mi Bad Man+sexy Mama Ft Wizkid+ekaette+high Ft Dammy Krane / Maye Hunta - Ekaette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekaette Song Gets Banned by phanthom(m): 5:56am On Apr 02, 2010
The controversial and hilarious hit song (and the video), Ekaette, sung by Nigerian returnee Maye Hunta, has been banned by the National Broadcasting commission (NBC) with effect from today, according to information contained in a memo obtained by NEXT.

The document, which was signed by the commission's zonal director, Ojone Otonoku, said the song and its video were banned because "of its graphic description of sexual scenes and expression not presented with fact and discretion. Stations are therefore requested to immediately stop further broadcast of this musical and air only a broadcast version (if any), "

However, reacting in a telephone chat, the singer defended his lyrics and concept. "If you listen through to the song it is very clean," he said. "I don't know what exactly they are getting at. For me I just feel that what will be will be they can ban it on radio and on TV but the fans are the people who are going to decide."

The artist, real name Olumayowa Adekunle Odejimi, also denied prior knowledge of the ban citing the April Fool's day as a major reason at first. "They haven't written to tell me; what happened was that I saw it on the net when some guy tagged me in a note then a friend of mine who works at a radio station called me to say the song has been banned, and I am like ‘Wahala' they just want to give me more publicity," he said, laughing.

He also added that plans are in a works for a sequel because ‘'fans are loving it, NBC are just a bunch of people who have issues. I mean I listen to the radio and hear foreign songs that are worse than mine. My song is about things that happens and have happened and so I all I did was just to bring it to the fore. I am not moved. I want to believe it is true, although I thought it was April Fool at first. Funny enough, normally NBC pick a list of songs but this time around it's just my song they picked. Bad belle people!"

Other Nigerian songs that have been banned by the NBC include Femi Kuti's Bang Bang Bang, Idrees Abdulkareem's Jaga Jaga, Konga's Baby Konga, Tuface's Enter the Place video and Dbanj's Suddenly. The NBC ban on Ekaette comes five months after its October release.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5549076-146/ekaette_song_gets_banned__.csp

Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by ayettymama(f): 6:29am On Apr 02, 2010
this is soo stupid

th esong is not graphic at all- im fed up of these people sef

they need to be sacked and thier offices should be used to train school teachers!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by tosinaded(m): 6:43am On Apr 02, 2010
Fuckn retards!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by ofokaofoki: 8:03am On Apr 02, 2010
are u sure it is not april fool as usual
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by violent(m): 12:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
This is not right at all, i believe someone might just be out to get the dude.

The guy ought to seek reprieve from the court, their are hundreds of other Nigerian songs that are worse
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Shaunscot(m): 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2010
Like seriously WTF?? angry
Do these people even know what they are supposed to be censoring?
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by 1honeybee: 1:09pm On Apr 02, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

SMH

there is def more to dis
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Bawses(m): 1:13pm On Apr 02, 2010
They are just bunch of jobless retards seeking attention, unforgunately all the attention will be directed to the artist. Like he rightly said worst foreign songs are being played and showed on the airways daily, wait a minute whats even wrong wiff the song?? More popularity to Maye Hunta Jare'!!!!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by eldee(m): 1:22pm On Apr 02, 2010
Whoa!!!!!!!! Why was Jagajaga banned??
Because it was graphic too??

I always said it, we'd be better off living in China.

A blogger is arrested for treason, songs are banned for creativity??
What next, Nairaland would be banned for having a sexuality section??
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by akwaowoudo(m): 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2010
If it be, so be it. Check the lyrics:http://www.google.com/gwt/x?q=Lyrics+of+Ekaete+by+Maye+Hunta&resnum=1&ei=eeG1S6DxOI64qwP-yqTBAw&sa=X&oi=blended&ct=res&cd=1&hl=en&source=m&rd=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.olamildentertainment.com%2F2009%2F11%2Fmaye-hunta-ekaette-lyrics.html
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by akwaowoudo(m): 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2010
If it be, so be it. Check the lyrics:http://www.google.com/gwt/x?q=Lyrics+of+Ekaete+by+Maye+Hunta&resnum=1&ei=eeG1S6DxOI64qwP-yqTBAw&sa=X&oi=blended&ct=res&cd=1&hl=en&source=m&rd=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.olamildentertainment.com%2F2009%2F11%2Fmaye-hunta-ekaette-lyrics.html
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by macIB(m): 1:34pm On Apr 02, 2010
Bush NBC pple, ! always getting it wrog all the time
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by toladop(m): 1:42pm On Apr 02, 2010
does the nbc even have a means for appeal, because this theirban no get head. Make I quickly go watch am for youtube
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Bawss1(m): 1:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
A welcome move from the NBC! I found the suggestive nature of the song rather distasteful, it is not fit to be played especially before children. Citing foreign songs as an excuse is lame, should we copy even the bad things they do. The NBC can't possibly ban all songs but at least they can control/ban the wrongly presented Nigerian ones.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by violent(m): 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2010
Me and wifey been dey stay for lekki happily
Our love was solid, she con say we need a house G
she con go bring this girl all the way from calabar called ekaette [ekaette]
see I was asking was the use of a
she con convince me say the girl sabi cook well
I testify when I taste her edi ka ikong with ogufe [ogufe].
See if only my wifey been dey come back from work early
then maybe I might not have noticed that ekaette was so sexy
On this fateful day, she was late as usual.
I came back from work to find ekaette in towel
A thing led to another
I start to dey kiss her and she con respond o.
See we did it in the room
then we did it on the floor
It felt so good, she even asked for more.
I don go taste the forbidden fruit now
o ti doyun o ye lele
o ti doyun o

I really don't get which part of the song is offensive, every little bit of it is to me modest!

Why is the NBC not going after songs like "Konga" or many of Dbanj's songs where he claim to "give them the koko"?

What yardstick exactly is the NBC using to make it's decision? I can bet my last dollar the decision was made largely from "sentiments" and what one idíot thinks is right and wrong!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by saemoenl(f): 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2010
NBC, This office are still in 15Th century world, They are completely silly to banned this correct music, what is wrong in that music that Nollywood never uses on their movie? This crazy banana republic sef, Oh lord help them as Ekaette songs.  embarassed
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by eldee(m): 2:06pm On Apr 02, 2010
Bawss1:

A welcome move from the NBC! I found the suggestive nature of the song rather distasteful, it is not fit to be played especially before children. Citing foreign songs as an excuse is lame, should we copy even the bad things they do. The NBC can't possibly ban all songs but at least they can control/ban the wrongly presented Nigerian ones.

How does saying 'we did it' become graphic??
Do you want us to go back to Bible times and start saying 'he knew her'??

violent:

What yardstick exactly is the NBC using to make it's decision? I can bet my last dollar the decision was made largely from "sentiments" and what one idíot thinks is right and wrong!

There's a crystal ball in the office . . . the oga looks at it while making the decisions grin grin
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
Am downloading it now! lol I like the song oh!!! ekaette belle! lol
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by BlackRevo: 2:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
This is a welcome development despite the good  lesson the song was trying to pass out to our female folks. There were some aspects of the songs that were stereotypical so it should be banned.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by slap1(m): 2:13pm On Apr 02, 2010
This is either the prologue or epilogue, the main story is underway, I guess.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by eldee(m): 2:13pm On Apr 02, 2010
Black_Revo:

This is a welcome development despite the good  lesson the song was trying to pass out to our female folks. There were some aspects of the songs that were stereotypical so it should be banned.

This is a new one . . . a song should be banned for being stereotypical?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by slap1(m): 2:16pm On Apr 02, 2010
Not really saying the song is good, but I've seen and listened to worse.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by location(m): 2:20pm On Apr 02, 2010
whether they banned those songs or not, i trust nigerian people. they will always have those records in their achieves probably playing them every single day
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Katsumoto: 2:21pm On Apr 02, 2010
eldee:

How does saying 'we did it' become graphic??
Do you want us to go back to Bible times and start saying 'he knew her'??

There's a crystal ball in the office . . . the oga looks at it while making the decisions grin grin

LWKMD
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin A beg no kill me.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:23pm On Apr 02, 2010
Oh lord help me oh
Oh lord help me oh
Oh lord help me oh

This was risky and it made it more freaky!!!!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2010
His rubber sliced
Who give my housegirl belle grin grin grin grin
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by BlackRevo: 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2010
eldee:

This is a new one . . . a song should be banned for being stereotypical?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Portraying house-girls from cross rivers/akwa ibom as husband snatchers and home wreckers is wrong. What happened to using fictitious names of people and foods?.  If a song is offensive to  set of people or religion don't you think it should be banned?.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
Black_Revo:

Portraying house-girls from cross rivers/akwa ibom as husband snatchers and home wreckers is wrong. What happened to using fictitious names of people and foods?.  If a song is offensive to  set of people or religion don't you think it should be banned?.
Abeg I disagree jo, this housegirl happened to be calabar na!
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by eldee(m): 2:33pm On Apr 02, 2010
Black_Revo:

Hmmn . . . so it wouldn't have been banned if the housegirl's name was Oluwayomilowoawonotababababamitolemilemi AKA Yomi??
This is getting interesting.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:36pm On Apr 02, 2010
What even happened to explicit content self?
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by An0nimus: 2:43pm On Apr 02, 2010
Black_Revo:

You've got a solid point there.
Chrisbenogor:

What even happened to explicit content self?
Gone with the wind.
Re: Ekaette Song Gets Banned by BlackRevo: 2:46pm On Apr 02, 2010
eldee:

Hmmn . . . so it wouldn't have been banned if the housegirl's name was Oluwayomilowoawonotababababamitolemilemi AKA Yomi??
This is getting interesting.

It would and it might not have which IMO has no significant relation to this name because you and I know the history of this name in the nigerian context. The name has been synonymous with to a calabar house girl for a very  long time and now extending it to a home wrecker and cheap LovePeddler does not argue well. Anyway if the majority of the people are cool with it no problem after all there was a song stereotyping Yoruba women as using jazz in cooking foods to hook up customers and hence destroying the name iya basira.

Hope this will not lead to conspiracy theories linking the tribes of the artist for these two songs lol ( Iya basira and ekaette ). Well the sexual content of the song also is sometimes too raw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Timaya – “Bam Bam” Ft. Olamide (Video) / Tekno – Samantha (audio) / Top 5 Controversial Nigerian Musicians’ Moments In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.