Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

2011: I’m Consulting - IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB (1663 Views)

I’m Not A Thief, I’m Not A Criminal – Suswam / APC Will Know I’m An Attack Dog –adamu Mu’azu / IBB, OBJ Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Beaf: 6:20am On Apr 02, 2010
[size=14pt]2011: I’m consulting - IBB [/size]
•Says, I will be directed by general opinion
•Reiterates call for true federalism

Written by Shola Adekola and Olayinka Olukoya

THOSE insinuating that former President Ibrahim Babangida may be eyeing the presidency in 2011 may not be totally wrong as the General, on Thursday, said he was still consulting on whether to contest or not. Babangida, at the presidential lounge of the Murtala Muhammed Airport,
Lagos, on his way from the birthday lecture to mark the 54th birthday of the Ogun State governor, Chief Gbenga Daniel, at about 6.30 p.m., said in a brief interview with airport journalists that he would make his decision known to Nigerians after his consultations.

The former military leader, who said he did not belong to the school of thought that saw him as the solution to the country’s social political problem, declared: “No, there is no such thing, absolutely nothing like that, but if Nigerians are convinced that I have a contribution to make, surely this is the only country I have and I will do it. I am still doing some consultations and honestly, I will hint you on that when I have finished doing that. I will give you a feedback very soon.”

When further asked if the general opinion indicated that he should run, Babangida replied: ”I will be directed by the general opinion.”

On his position on the attitude of politicians to governance, he replied: “What I want is for all of you, people like you, me and politicians to be very tolerant and if we are tolerant, we will be able to move the country forward.”

Speaking on the clamour for Professor Maurice Iwu’s removal as the chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Babangida said he does not comment on individuals.

General Babangida, had earlier said that he would only vote for an advocate of true federalism as president of Nigeria in the next general election.

He said this as the chairman at the 54th birthday anniversary lecture of Governor Daniel, where Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State was the special guest of honour, at the Valley View Auditorium, Government House, Abeokuta. Only true federalism, Babangida said,  would solve the multifarious problems confronting the country.

He said, “I want to say here that anybody who believes in some of those things will have my vote in 2011. Everything that was said here today on federalism is the true reflection of what this country was, is and will be.”

He noted that some critical national issues which had been settled since the nation attained independence about 50 years ago needed not to be further discussed to draw the nation back.

The former president said, ”I believe that true federalism is the issue for this country. Many of us who are very close to 70 years are very proud that we are leaving Nigeria in safe hands. There are lots of things called settled issues in the country’s political system. We don’t have to look back. Why clamouring whether we want to call ourselves republic and so on? Those are the issues that are settled.”

He added that he believed more in confederacy than a federal system of government whereby the impact of governance could be easily felt by the people, saying “I believe more in small government than big government.”

While eulogising the celebrant, Babangida said that he (Daniel) was a rare potential of the nation’s younger generation who truly had vision and sterling leadership qualities.

He told the gathering that he was attracted to Governor Daniel based on the fact that he had domineering presence everywhere he went.

“When he invited me for this occasion, I promised him that I will be here. My coming to Abeokuta is indeed home-coming, having been here 44 years ago. There is an established romance between me and OGD.  I am glad and proud of him,” Babangida added.

He made his remarks after various speakers like Governor Amaechi, ace broadcaster, Chief Yemi Farounbi, and former Director-General, Voice of Nigeria, Chief Taiwo Alimi, had spoken extensively on the need for the country to practise true federalism.

Amaechi, in his own remarks insisted that Nigeria was not operating a true federal structure, rather it only had an “independent confused federal structure.”

He was of the opinion that federalism as being practised in Nigeria was distinctively different from what obtained in advanced countries, noting that the federal structure in Nigeria today was by servitude.

Governor Amaechi added that Nigeria was bereft of a productive economy, saying that government economy whereby the rich wanted to be sure of who became the governor or president because their existence depended on that government economy had become the order of the day.

The occasion had in attendance eminent Nigerians, including the Yeye Odua, Chief (Mrs) HID Awolowo, represented by her daughter, Reverend (Mrs) Tola Oyediran; former Senate President, Senator Adolphus Wabara; Chief Rasaq Okoya and his wife, Sade; Sir. Kesington Adebutu; Nigeria’s Ambassador to Zambia, Chief (Mrs) Folake Marcus-Bello; Chief Abiola Dosunmu; Chief Raymond Dopkesi, Dr. Oba Otudeko and Reverend Jide Awosedo.

Others included Ambassador Segun Olusola; Dr Yemi Ogunbiyi; Mr. Emeka Obasi; Secretary, Yoruba Council of Elders, Dr. Kunle Olajide; Honourable Lola Abiola-Edewor; Mrs. Doyin Abiola; Dr. Sunny Kuku; Prince Bola Ajibola; Alhaji Lateef Adegbite, amongst other personalities.

The guest lecturer, Dr. Don Kroah, while delivering his lecture entitled: “The Personalities, the Institutions and the Future of Democracy,” contended that the future of the country was at stake, if credible leaders were not put in place.

He explained that certain steps such as transparent electoral process; better political participation; tested and trusted personalities, with good character and sound health, would make the nation’s democratic experience sustained.

Kroah said, “The dilemma of Nigeria’s democratic experience is that even though distinct and clear functions are highlighted for these critical institutions, the personalities that execute the functions negatively impact on the institutions.

“Credible executive leader and credible legislature made up of qualitative personalities can sustain democracy. Until Nigeria has such personalities, the future of its democracy will always be at stake,” the American broadcaster said.

He commended the celebrant for allowing his personality to influence the democratic institutions by securing the future of people of the state.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/3492-2011-im-consulting-ibb-says-i-will-be-directed-by-general-opinion-reiterates-call-for-true-federalism-.html
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Onlytruth(m): 6:41am On Apr 02, 2010
This guy is making all the right noise these days -true federalism, state police, etc. Hmm, he may get my vote in 2011; afterall he cannot be worse than OBJ. undecided can he?
Another thing about him is that he is swayed by public opinion. That has to count for something.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Nobody: 1:37pm On Apr 02, 2010
Another thing about him is that he is swayed by public opinion. That has to count for something.

Nope we need a leader guided by his conviction.

For that is exactly why he oversaw months and months of transition and election only to refuse to hand over to the elected leader but willing to hand over to an interim leader.

He was pushed around by the Generals and their opinnions.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by doyin13(m): 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2010
I do not care for Babangida but those of us who have
been clamoring for ideology in Nigerian politics will be
heartened.

Parties might fissure along the lines of those willing to cede
power away from the centre and those determined to concentrate
power at the centre.

We all know Babangida's antecedents and he is not called 'Maradona'
for nothing. This might be an olive branch to the South where the calls
for federalism are loudest.

Whether if he wins the elections he will agree to cede powers is anyone's guess.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Dominoifet(m): 2:03pm On Apr 02, 2010
I don't know what to say. Pple that live in glass house shouldn't throw stones. I guess he threw his on June 12.

I guess he has repented, right?

Bleep that!!! Bleep his dead wife!!! Bleep his children!!! Bleep his father!!! Bleep his forefathers!!! Bleep is mother that witch!!! June 12 shall b requite from him.

He should go and consult MKO first
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by EmperorOlu: 2:03pm On Apr 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

This guy is making all the right noise these days -true federalism, state police, etc. Hmm, he may get my vote in 2011; afterall he cannot be worse than OBJ. undecided can he?

I think you are suffering from a case of "peppersoup overdose" .IBB will not rule except he has a death wish. He is no longer as protected as he used to be ,he could have easily been shot at the airport. Many people have not forgotten the mess he put Nigeria in. IBB you have been warned, consultation or not ,you will die if you attempt what you are trying to attempt and not even the C.I.A will be able to save you. kapish?
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Dominoifet(m): 2:09pm On Apr 02, 2010
@EmperorOlu

Quote.
IBB will not rule except he has a death wish. He is no longer as protected as he used to be ,he could have easily been shot at the airport. Many people have not forgotten the mess he put Nigeria in. IBB you have been warned, consultation or not ,you will die if you attempt what you are trying to attempt and not even the C.I.A will be able to save you. kapish?

Yeah!!!
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Beaf: 2:42pm On Apr 02, 2010
Isn't it the same IBB that said he had tryed everything to wreck Nigeria's economy, but he was surprised it was still standing? Wasn't it during his regime that drug pushing and 419 came to Nigeria? In those days, 419 bosses even used the real CBN buildings for their nepharious business.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Ibime(m): 2:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
Yankee must be speaking to IBB
. Let's keep watching
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by naijamini(m): 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2010
@doyin13
Please read the replies in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-423992.0.html#msg5816333

IBB doesn't deserve to be given any leeway. He is done with being a major player if Nigeria is ever going to move forward.

doyin13:

I do not care for Babangida but those of us who have
been clamoring for ideology in Nigerian politics will be
heartened.

Parties might fissure along the lines of those willing to cede
power away from the centre and those determined to concentrate
power at the centre.

We all know Babangida's antecedents and he is not called 'Maradona'
for nothing. This might be an olive branch to the South where the calls
for federalism are loudest.

Whether if he wins the elections he will agree to cede powers is anyone's guess.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by nduchucks: 4:14pm On Apr 02, 2010
Without supporting IBB's bid to become the next president of Nigeria, I venture to say that his presidency could not be worse that that of Yar'Adua's or even OBJ's.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by naijamini(m): 4:21pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ndu_chucks
Good to know that you don't support IBB's presidential bid.

The yardstick we need is not "could not be worse", but "much, no, light-years/phenomenally better than".

Not perfect, but the only northern politician I see with any possibility of making Nigeria better at this point is El Rufai. I wish he would come out with a serious agenda or else take his name out of the running. May be I am ignorant. If so, please provide more information as Nigerians should not be taken on another useless ride.

ndu_chucks:

Without supporting IBB's bid to become the next president of Nigeria, I venture to say that his presidency could not be worse that that of Yar'Adua's or even OBJ's.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by vigasimple(m): 4:59pm On Apr 02, 2010
I think IBB has an agenda for attending OGD birthday bash and talking about true federalism but he has forgotten thatt because of his annlment of June 12th 1993 election that result in MKO's death and Evil genius transformed to evil master ABACHA, and Nigeria went downhill from there.

Anybody who take IBB serious in anything needs their head examined. He singlehandedly plunged Nigeria to this chaos we have today. Durin Bhuari/Idiagbon we stsrted to have order and discpline in Nigeria, and people like IBORI and other thieves knows that the cats is in town and all the rats ran away. You dare not mess up with Idiagbon because he is not A THIEF like all the people before him.

Comparing OBJ and IBB is like comparing Day and Night. OBJ with all his fault has twice relinqiush power voluntarily and PAY OFF NIGERIA FOREIGN DEBTS AND LEFT $50BILLION IN OUR FOREIGN RESERVES, That OBJ record is better than all before him.

IBB is the head of 419 plc and master yahooze. Nigeria is getting close to distingration if IBB were to succeed ( as he could , if he pushes for it as the North is desperate to hold on town Presidential power.

Has throw stones in a glass house once , and by God's grace the glass did not brake, he would be a fool to try because the glass will break this time.

IBB is satanic. period
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by ojimboIV: 5:16pm On Apr 02, 2010
no one's stopping him from consulting. it's his fundamental 'human right'. apparently he denied nigerians their's when he annulled elections in 1992.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2010
Ibime:

Yankee must be speaking to IBB
. Let's keep watching

Dont you think you are too smart to believe that US could be asking IBB to run for elections? Ignore what you read in the news.

When Hillary came to Nigeria she also met with Gowon and Shagari. Could US also be asking this people to run too?

IBB was once a General and Head of State, the world still considers him a power broker in Nigeria. But not every meeting him should translate into asking him to run. That perception has more to do with the ambition of the man than the wishes of US or UK for that matter.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by nduchucks: 5:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
naijamini:

@ndu_chucks
Not perfect, but the only northern politician I see with any possibility of making Nigeria better at this point is El Rufai. I wish he would come out with a serious agenda or else take his name out of the running. May be I am ignorant. If so, please provide more information as Nigerians should not be taken on another useless ride.

El-Rufai's may have lost his rights to run for any elective office in Nigeria because he was indicted by a senate panel on the sale of government houses in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), banning him from holding public office for life.
Hopefully he can get the ban overturned in court.  He is not quite as popular in the North, by the way.  Ribadu probably stands a better chance.

@mikeansy, keep in mind that the number one motivation for the USA as well as most other countries, is self interest. Think about it.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Nobody: 5:35pm On Apr 02, 2010
ndu_chucks:

El-Rufai's may have lost his rights to run for any elective office in Nigeria because he was indicted by a senate panel on the sale of government houses in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), banning him from holding public office for life.
Hopefully he can get the ban overturned in court. He is not quite as popular in the North, by the way. Ribadu probably stands a better chance.

@mikeansy, keep in mind that the number one motivation for the USA as well as most other countries, is self interest. Think about it.

They risk undermining that interest and their political capital if they openly endorse a candidate very controversial that may not reflect the will of the people.

US and UK will rather remain quiet and work with whoever emerges leader than openly endorse IBB.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by chosen04(f): 5:39pm On Apr 02, 2010
ojimbo IV:

no one's stopping him from consulting. it's his fundamental 'human right'. apparently he denied nigerians their's when he annulled elections[b] in 199[/b]2.

Its 1993.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by nduchucks: 5:42pm On Apr 02, 2010
mikeansy:

They risk undermining that interest and their political capital if they openly endorse a candidate very controversial that may not reflect the will of the people.

US and UK will rather remain quiet and work with whoever emerges leader than openly endorse IBB.

Don't expect the US to openly endorse IBB's candidacy. If they indeed support IBB, they will send him strong signals and support privately. The Shah of Iran was supported by the USA for years with the knowledge of the looting he perpetrated against the Iranian people - again self interest is the key.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by ojimboIV: 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2010
chosen04:

Its 1993.

ok
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Don't expect the US to openly endorse IBB's candidacy. If they indeed support IBB, they will send him strong signals and support privately. The Shah of Iran was supported by the USA for years with the knowledge of the looting he perpetrated against the Iranian people - again self interest is the key.

And trust me they learnt a bitter lesson from that. Since after the Iran experience they don't do it anymore, not when the candidate has a very dirty record like IBB.

The US open support for the Shah gave birth to Khomenei (Iranian Revolution) and the US does not engage in that kind of politics anymore.

Besides that Obama is redefining Foreign Policy for US. Did you see his latest spat with Netanyahu?
There is an emerging New World order, I will be shocked if whatever calculations Obama makes leads him to either openly or secretely endorse IBB.
Obama has shown a special affinity to Africa and I do not expect his politics will endorse setting fire on Nigeria just to protect US interest.

Obama is smarter than that, US can advance its interests better without IBB.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by doyin13(m): 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2010
chosen04:

Its 1993.

Not only do you hate anything with Dora in it, you are a bloody pedant as well.

It must be the water in Guatemala
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Katsumoto: 6:20pm On Apr 02, 2010
International Batty Boy (IBB) had 8 years ruling Nigeria. In his time, we witnessed the introduction of the term national cake. He stole and encouraged others to steal. It was during his tenure that many Nigerians left the country. He institutionalised corruption and ruined the Nigerian economy. What does he have to offer Nigeria. Has he suddenly become a better leader?

He has no vision
He is a coward
He is a drug peddler

He should be consulting with his fellow looters on how they can make amends for all the lost souls. The souls of all who lost their lives either through culpable negligence and direct murder will NEVER allow IBB and his family to rest.
Karma is a bitch and I know it is following IBB.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by chosen04(f): 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2010
doyin13:

Not only do you hate anything with Dora in it, you are a bloody pedant as well.

You sound like a HEROIC WORSHIPPER. Are you?

I dont hate DORA.

But will continue to speak against "Selective truth, mere opportunism, cheap hero wannabe, double mouthing, and using different stanard to judge different public servants"

doyin13:

It must be the water in Guatemala

Am currently on official assignment in a "place called Biafra in Guatemala". Why not google it,
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Sunofgod(m): 6:55pm On Apr 02, 2010
Last month IBB was consulting with his CIA buddies; this month with OBJ and co,

The evil geniuses refuse to go and rest.

Its like they (IBB,OBJ,ETC) never retired from the military - constantly medling in the affairs and destiny of Nigeria.

Here's some leaked footage from the meeting -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeEHosU2_g0
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by oderemo(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02, 2010
the way things are going i might invest in a good AK 47. AND A BINOCULAR.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Onlytruth(m): 8:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
Not to sound too insensitive but IBB is one of the most patriotic Nigerian leaders I know. He was courageous and he was intelligent too.You wouldn't be ashamed to say that is my president. I remember how he used to intimidate visiting foreign leaders in Aso rock. I strongly suspect that he wouldn't have handed over Bakassi to Cameroun.
The guy was too clever to contemplate that idiocy.

He was interested in seeking public opinion everytime, which eventually led to the Option A4 in elections. He created the DMI, NIA,  FIIB, SSS and national guard. Under  this man, Nigeria was strong. He created states according to fairness and his cabinet reflected Nigeria well. He employed technocrats to man sensitive positions. All these would have paid more if he did them under a civilian arrangement.

An IBB, seeing the frequent killings in the north and the niger delta troubles and kidnappings in the east would have allowed state police. The guy is sensible! He may be a dictator in his day, but he listened more than civilian president Obasanjo would saw himself as a god, and introduced do or die elections and enthronement of criminals as political allies.

I can go on, but IBB is a better patriot than Obasanjo! I would trust him to preside over Nigeria's reconstitution through negotiations.  cool
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Katsumoto: 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2010
Onlytruth:

Not to sound too insensitive but IBB is one of the most patriotic Nigerian leaders I know. He was courageous [/b]and he was intelligent too.You wouldn't be ashamed to say that is my president. I remember how he used to[b] intimidate visiting foreign leaders in Aso rock. I strongly suspect that he wouldn't have handed over Bakassi to Cameroun.

He was interested in seeking public opinion everytime, which eventually led to the Option A4 in elections. He created the DMI, NIA,  FIIB, SSS and national guard. Under  this man, Nigeria was strong. He created states according to fairness and his cabinet reflected Nigeria well. He employed technocrats to man sensitive positions. All these would have paid more if he did them under a civilian arrangement.

An IBB, seeing the frequent killings in the north and the niger delta troubles and kidnappings in the east would have allowed state police. The guy is sensible! He may be a dictator in his day, but he listened more than civilian president Obasanjo would saw himself as a god, and introduced do or die elections and enthronement of criminals as political allies.

I can go on, but IBB is a better patriot than Obasanjo! I would trust him to preside over Nigeria's reconstitution through negotiations.  cool

What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!
It was Abacha that was feared and not IBB. IBB was dancing to the the tune of a bunch of economists and bankers at the IMF
You say he was courageous; yet he sent Bello to die in his place. IBB was a coward; he couldn't even confront Dimka at Radio Nigeria after Danjuma gave him a direct order to flush Dimka out. It was Major Ugokwe who flushed Dimka out, yet IBB took the credit for it for a long time until he was found out.
IBB created all those bodies to be able to hound unharmed pro-democracy activists. Many governments around the world greate intelligence bodies to gather intelligence to forestall any attacks. It is only in Nigeria where Intelligence bodies go after innocent people.
He followed public opinion is selecting option A4 and what did he do after option A4 produced a president.
Were there no senseless killings in the North when IBB was president? There were several in Kaduna and Kano. I will not waste my time mentioning each one.
Was it not IBB that banned civilians owning guns after Igbo traders returned fire for fire when almajiris went on rampage in 1991?

I do not follow the logic of your arguments at times. On one hand, you advocate the emancipation of your people but on the other hand, you praise a thirsty blood sucker like IBB. The man responsible for most of the economic woes in Nigeria. Would you still love him if I said he was also in Murtala's division? The same division that murdered innocent boys and men at Asaba.

Your need to analyse issues through a tribal prism hinders your ability to analyse issues rationally. You were bent on painting Obasanjo in bad light and in the process, you mis-directed yourself in your analysis. Obasanjo for all his faults will always be better than IBB.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by oderemo(m): 8:46pm On Apr 02, 2010
was interested in seeking public opinion everytime, which eventually led to the Option A4 in elections. He created the DMI, NIA,  FIIB, SSS and national guard. Under  this man, Nigeria was strong. He created states according to fairness and his cabinet reflected Nigeria well. He employed technocrats to man sensitive positions. All these would have paid more if he did them under a civilian arrangement.
i am baffle by your ground support for these guy.  all these plausible reasons justification for nullifying an election? the mind bugles.
a man that grudgingly STEP ASIDE for sonekan, a man that set up ppls bank without a single benefit for the ppl, the man is nothing but Les miserable, under his watch untold moni was stolen, close to $10 bil. we hear. i detest this guy and his bosom friends , OBJ, ABDUSALLAM, and others with passion.
we don't want to recycle our leaders, have you wandered when YOU will be governor of your state? why them ,why not you.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Onlytruth(m): 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2010
Katsumoto:

What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!!
It was Abacha that was feared and not IBB. IBB was dancing to the the tune of a bunch of economists and bankers at the IMF

He was listening to opinion of experts. He selected the best economists in Nigeria to examine and implement the programs, from SAP to SFEM, etc.
He was feared and respected in Africa for sending troops to Liberia.

You say he was courageous; yet he sent Bello to die in his place. IBB was a coward; he couldn't even confront Dimka at Radio Nigeria after Danjuma gave him a direct order to flush Dimka out. It was Major Ugokwe who flushed Dimka out, yet IBB took the credit for it for a long time until he was found out.

We don't know the whole story so no need arguing about that. Bello was supposed to die in his place, he was IBBs ADC. duh? undecided

IBB created all those bodies to be able to hound unharmed pro-democracy activists. Many governments around the world greate intelligence bodies to gather intelligence to forestall any attacks. It is only in Nigeria where Intelligence bodies go after innocent people.

Well all those agencies are still around (except the national guard that was changed to NCDP). All security agencies he set up are still there today.

He followed public opinion is selecting option A4 and what did he do after option A4 produced a president.
Were there no senseless killings in the North when IBB was president? There were several in Kaduna and Kano. I will not waste my time mentioning each one.
Was it not IBB that banned civilians owning guns after Igbo traders returned fire for fire when almajiris went on rampage in 1991?

Some people felt that Abiola would cheat them if allowed to become president and they went ahead to scuttle it. If IBB wanted, he could have continued ruling and nothing would have happened. He stepped aside.

I do not follow the logic of your arguments at times. On one hand, you advocate the emancipation of your people but on the other hand, you praise a thirsty blood sucker like IBB. The man responsible for most of the economic woes in Nigeria. Would you still love him if I said he was also in Murtala's division? The same division that murdered innocent boys and men at Asaba.

He was not more blood thirsty than Adekunle or Obasanjo in the war. So spare me that holy anger.  undecided

Your need to analyse issues through a tribal prism hinders your ability to analyse issues rationally. You were bent on painting Obasanjo in bad light and in the process, you mis-directed yourself in your analysis. Obasanjo for all his faults will always be better than IBB.

Obasanjo was a rogue who gave away a sovereign territory of Nigeria (Bakassi) to win support for a third term or life term in office. He was almost narcissistic. He was the worst coward ever to lead Nigeria. He couldn't imagine life outside of Aso rock. He empowered criminals to man sensitive positions and loot the treasury while pretending to be fighting corruption. He had all his opponents exiled, jailed or killed.
I would choose IBB over OBJ any day.  cool
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by Katsumoto: 9:07pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Replying to this would be analogous to banging ones head on a wall. So I will let it rest.
Re: 2011: I’m Consulting - IBB by naijamini(m): 9:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
@Onlytruth

You certainly are joking, right? Everything Babangida did was for his ego, he doesn't care a hoot about you or me. Here is a good description of his nature:

One of the classic description for IBB is the following: He is the referee in a footbal match, but one of the teams is actually his own. However, IBB will not stop at refereeing the match and cheating for his team. No, you will find him on the field one hour before the game kicking the ball into an empty net and recording the goals for his team. Then at playing time he would declare that the other team has withdrawn from the match even though they are standing, ready to play, on the pitch.

This is coming from someone who at the time hung to IBB's every word. He could talk good talk too, but you believe him at your own peril. For example he once said: "we gave our today for their tomorrow" - now go ask him what he meant by that and whose today and tomorrow he was talking about. The only thing I know is that after the guy was forced out of rulership he has being living in a 50-room mansion above a hill in Minna. Whose tomorrow was he talking about?

Read this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-423992.0.html#msg5817545

If you care to know IBB better below are a couple of the Machiavelli principles he subscribed to and ruled by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince

"Men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance.” (37, Machiavelli).

Machiavelli notes that a Prince is praised for keeping his word. However, he also notes that a Prince is also praised for the illusion of being reliable in keeping his word. A Prince, therefore, should only keep his word when it suits his purposes, but do his utmost to maintain the illusion that he does keep his word and that he is reliable in that regard. Therefore, a Prince should not break his word unnecessarily.

"If he must harm a colony (take over a new company): harm the poor and dispersed."

"If he aquires a state (markets a product) he should absorb the surrounding(companies marketing this same product) and identify the enemies.

"Injuries (raising the price) should be performed all at once: so resentment does not develop, favors (deals, entertaining advertising, grants, charitable works) should be bestowed little by little."

"Whoever desires to found a state (company) and gives it laws, must start with assuming that all men (other executives, share holders etc.) are bad and ever ready to display their vicious nature, whenever they may find occasion for it."

"A prince should have no objective but war." (to beat the competition)

" A prince (executive) who is not wise himself cannot take wise (financial)advice."

"Men will succeed as long as method and fortune are in harmony."

Onlytruth:

Not to sound too insensitive but IBB is one of the most patriotic Nigerian leaders I know. He was courageous and he was intelligent too.You wouldn't be ashamed to say that is my president. I remember how he used to intimidate visiting foreign leaders in Aso rock. I strongly suspect that he wouldn't have handed over Bakassi to Cameroun.

He was interested in seeking public opinion everytime, which eventually led to the Option A4 in elections. He created the DMI, NIA,  FIIB, SSS and national guard. Under  this man, Nigeria was strong. He created states according to fairness and his cabinet reflected Nigeria well. He employed technocrats to man sensitive positions. All these would have paid more if he did them under a civilian arrangement.

I can go on, but IBB is a better patriot than Obasanjo! I would trust him to preside over Nigeria's reconstitution through negotiations.  cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igp Unable To Arrest James Onanefe Ibori (is Ibori Now Above The Law?) / Who Were The Original Secessionists That Led To Nigerian Civil War? / Corpers Killed In The North Have Fulfilled Their Destiny - Bauchi Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.