Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio (7758 Views)

JAMB Sanctions Officials For Asking Female Student To Remove Her Hijab / My Daughter Not Allowed To Write JAMB With Her Hijab On - Man Raises Alarm / Check Out A Woman Climbed An Electric Pole With Her Hijab ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by Moboj: 12:17pm On Dec 22, 2017
"Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's" Shikina
Mehn our God is just soo wise
If all gods and God wanted peace to reign they'd see into the future like our God to also add that saying to all scriptural books
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by Vivere: 8:11pm On Dec 22, 2017
Qtsnow:
Via Ismaa'eel Olanrewaju Abu Umaamah

HIJAB SAGA AT THE CALL TO BAR: AN EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT

All through my life I have never experienced the kind of hatred and disgust towards a fellow human being as what I saw on 12th December, 2017. I arrived the ICC for the call on time, followed the queue and entered the hall.

When the BOB filed in, we all stood up as a sign of respect and followed the instructions as expected of aspirants to the Bar. Every thing was going smoothly until the time a lady approached the podium to receive hand shake and collect her certificates. As she moved down the podium and made to return to her seat, I noticed Mrs. Mevayen Jemialu, a lecturer at the Nigerian Law School, Abuja campus, walking at a very fast pace towards this lady.

Upon reaching the lady, she asked her to remove the hijab and throw it on the floor. Then she stepped on it and kicked it several times while uttering very humiliating words on the lady. As if that was not enough, she sked a guard to stand by the hijab and ensured the lady couldn't pick it. Few minutes later, Mrs. Jemialu, accompanied by her junior colleague, Mrs. Jennifer Ikwuanusi came to cease her certificates. My seat was close to the scene so I could see with my eyes.

I feel a deep pain in my heart as a human. I couldn't agree within me that the way the lady was treated is right. I respect Mrs. Jemialu so much, but from that very moment the respect I have for her disappeared. Her action was a strong indication of unwarranted bias against people of other faiths. In a saner society, people like Mrs. Jemialu should by now be on suspension. But this is Nigeria anything goes.

After the programme, the lady went to ask for her certificates. This time, she had lost the courage to put on the hijab the second time. But something more amazing happened. Mrs. Emetejife Onoriode, attempted to search the lady. Only God knows her mission. She and her colleagues present at the front side of the podium were accusing the lady of a premeditated action. It took the intervention of Mr. Samuel Osamolu to allow the sleeping dog lies. At this point I came to the conclusion that we actually have bias against the Muslims and we are not accommodating.

I left the hall to inquire about the lady. It was then I knew we finished together from the same Abuja campus and that she graduated from University of Ilorin. I was therefore not surprised to hear the next day that another female aspirant to the Bar was denied her right to be called to the Nigerian Bar just because of wearing hijab. This is Nigeria's most embarrassing story for the year 2017.

Copied.
Haba!! Which kind of falsehood is this? I guess he must be talking about another lady. Let him provide that lady's full details here...before we can believe his story. How come no other female Muslim lady has stepped out to say that she as victimised by the law school, because she wore a hijab to the call to bar ceremony? How did she even pass through the screening process?

So who is this person fabricating strange tales by moonlight, about something that did not happen? A lady who never agreed to remove her hijab, so how was it thrown on the floor and someone started kicking it? What kind of manafiki assertion is this? shocked

Firdaus case was different. All those present at the call to bar ceremony stated that the incident with Firdaus took place outside the Hall. Several people pleaded with her to remove the hijab, but she refused. Even Justice Alfa Belgore the former Chief Justice appealed to her to do what is right, but she still refused. After a while she even insulted those trying to get her to see reason and remove the hijab. When they saw she was not ready to do so, they left her alone but she was not allowed entry into the hall.
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by hamzeiy: 8:44pm On Dec 22, 2017
albacete:

Do you know that your right ends where another person's right begins? Ask yourself why female Muslims who are bankers don't wear hijab to work. Do you think the NBA is there to play the religious card? Or you think there are no reverend sisters who were also called to Bar?

Somebody studied Nigerian law (not Islamic law) for 6 years and went ahead to disobey the same law. Just because she wants to be more Catholic than the Pope. I can only but wonder the kind of lawyer she would make. One that disobeys the laws of the land right from the day she was called to Bar.

Now look where her idiocy has landed her. She has successfully wasted 6 years of her life, just because she wants to be seen as a true believer of Islam.

Don't worry, when CBN calls you for a job interview, don't forget to wear your agbada /buba so that they will know you are an imam.
You are yet to tell me the laws of the land she trampled on, and what useless man made law that dosnt recognise other people way of life is a law that wont be obeyed.
That been said wearing agbada has noting to do with islam bith a way of dressing for the hausaz of nigeria so its something we can decide to change pending on culture and situation we find our self, islam tells muslims(not xtains pls) to dress responsible and the hijab is nt just part of being responsible in our women(not your women,yours can go ahead to dress with pants when civilisation tells them to)but an identification of faith. We are not going to bend our way of life to just to suit yours in the name of secularism or leaving in peace.
Its either we understand our differences and respect them our we keep hating each other. Both cases are good for us we are muslims not assholes, we will give peace when you want one but we wont beg you for peace, we would encourage tolerance when you tolerate us, we will never betray agreements made even with an enemy , we would not exceeds the limits of our creators on affairs just to make anybody happy..hijab is part of our faith and would never be forfeited for any reason
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by hamzeiy: 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2017
ReinaFarine:

No one stops her from wearing hijab. I accept, of is her right. And the governing body of the Nigerian Bar Association has a right to standard dress code and uniformity. We shouldn't encroach on their right to please her. NBA is not begging her for a position because of her distinguished performance and reputation. It is the other way around.

I read it was a screening (correct me if I'm wrong) if NBA said the reason for her disqualification Is because she didn't pass the physical appearance portion of the test, will you criticize them for it?

I want you to know it is not a Christian Vs. Islam Matter. It is NBA Vs. Firdausi. Christians didn't write that down in the bye laws. Just judge without sentiments and think of specific rules you set in your own home. If I as a stranger you're trying to help can't abide by them, will you change centuries of rules to please me at the expense of others?

Unlike that idiot above said... Being a Muslim doesn't make you above the law.
Very true being a muslim doesn't make you above the law, but any law that doesn't recognise our differences and religious way of life, the very purpose for our existence, such law is as good as dead to us .it would not obeyed. And lets stop deceiving our selves its a issue of muslim against xtains otherwise such joy derived by virtually all the xtains in nigeria over a hijab issue that dosnt concern them would be un explanable
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by dannybazz(m): 12:34am On Dec 23, 2017
Qtsnow:

Attention: Whomsoever wrote this article should know and let it stick to its medula oblaganta that the LAW of ALLAH (ShariĆ”/Islamic LAW) is far above and superior to/than any man-made promogate/constituted law, no matter who/whom may have written it. ''Whosoever brings anything other than islam will be rejected from him and will be amongst the losers on the Last Day.''
datz why she was advice to study another course na....abi
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by albacete(m): 4:00am On Dec 23, 2017
hamzeiy:

You are yet to tell me the laws of the land she trampled on and what useless man made law that dosnt recognise other people way of life is a law that wont be obeyed.
That been said wearing agbada has noting to do with islam bith a way of dressing for the hausaz of nigeria so its something we can decide to change pending on culture and situation we find our self, islam tells muslims(not xtains pls) to dress responsible and the hijab is nt just part of being responsible in our women(not your women,yours can go ahead to dress with pants when civilisation tells them to)but an identification of faith. We are not going to bend our way of life to just to suit yours in the name of secularism or leaving in peace.
Its either we understand our differences and respect them our we keep hating each other. Both cases are good for us we are muslims not assholes, we will give peace when you want one but we wont beg you for peace, we would encourage tolerance when you tolerate us, we will never betray agreements made even with an enemy , we would not exceeds the limits of our creators on affairs just to make anybody happy..hijab is part of our faith and would never be forfeited for any reason
First off, it is Christians, not xtians. What do you stand to gain when you address us as xtians?

@the bolded: I thought you read that part where she was asked to remove her hijab but she refused. Or should we be defining disobedience?

@red font: Suit Nigerian Bar Association first, don't bother about pleasing us. Christians are not responsible for her woes, we are not her village people. Go and talk to NBA that didn't call her to Bar because of her foolishness. Don't make this a Christian / Muslim fight.

What kind of religion disrespects an institution's law? Won't you give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar?
You can't come to NBA's house and tell them how to run their affairs. If your religion won't allow you to abide by their rules and regulations, look elsewhere. Must you practice law?

She wants to be a lawyer, NBA did not beg her to study law. If the cut off mark for Law is, say 270 and she got 269, would it be right to give her admission based on 269? She has seen where her people from the North got admitted to tertiary institutions with low scores due to Federal Character and Quota system. She has even read when JAMB wanted to make their cutoff mark to be 100 (out of 400,which is a paltry 25%) so as to favour her people. So her shallow thinking confused her into believing that anything can be compromised. We can't tolerate it any further.

It is true that Nigerians are very religious people. Christians and Muslims alike came to be called to Bar, and this one came to do identification of faith. Maybe she has been getting away with such deviant acts but on that day, Karma decided to pay her a visit.
This is 6 years gone down the drain. Time wasted, money wasted, all because of religious sentiments.

Keep telling her that she did the right thing while she continues to wallow in self-pity.

Her village people finally caught up with her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by albacete(m): 6:57am On Dec 23, 2017
Vivere:

Haba!! Which kind of falsehood is this? I guess he must be talking about another lady. Let him provide that lady's full details here...before we can believe his story. How come no other female Muslim lady has stepped out to say that she as victimised by the law school, because she wore a hijab to the call to bar ceremony? How did she even pass through the screening process?

So who is this person fabricating strange tales by moonlight, about something that did not happen? A lady who never agreed to remove her hijab, so how was it thrown on the floor and someone started kicking it? What kind of manafiki assertion is this? shocked

Firdaus case was different. All those present at the call to bar ceremony stated that the incident with Firdaus took place outside the Hall. Several people pleaded with her to remove the hijab, but she refused. Even Justice Alfa Belgore the former Chief Justice appealed to her to do what is right, but she still refused. After a while she even insulted those trying to get her to see reason and remove the hijab. When they saw she was not ready to do so, they left her alone but she was not allowed entry into the hall.

To even imagine that a Chief Justice would beg her, a mere aspirant, to remove her hijab is a pointer that this girl has total disregard for law and order. And it has eaten into her head. How did such a strong headed fellow pass through Law school in the first place?

If she had succeeded with this act of rebellion, maybe a deeper lifer would insist on wearing khaki skirt to NYSC camp. I can even decide to join the military with tattoos and overgrown beards.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by ReinaFarine: 7:30am On Dec 23, 2017
hamzeiy:

Very true being a muslim doesn't make you above the law, but any law that doesn't recognise our differences and religious way of life, the very purpose for our existence, such law is as good as dead to us .it would not obeyed
. And lets stop deceiving our selves its a issue of muslim against xtains otherwise such joy derived by virtually all the xtains in nigeria over a hijab issue that dosnt concern them would be un explanable

And any group of people that will not obey the laid down rulesnof an association should be ready to forfeit their membership. As a Nigerian she has the freedom of religion.

And please, I've never worn the 'lawyer's wig' before bit are you telling me that there is no way it can be fashioned to cover her hair properly so as to obey that part of her religion.

Like someone earlier said, Gandhi picked his turban over the right to practice law in a certain country. I think she should pick whatbis most important to her. God and her beliefs or Law and its rules.

It seems like a tough call, but if this thing be from God, he is going to give her something greater than NBA and Nigerians in general can ever offer. But of it is just her fanaticism manifesting, then I'm sorry for her.

The reason most Christians are showing this level of vexation over an issue not pertinent to them is because of the high level of partiality shown to northerners especially the Muslim. If an exception is going to be made for this religion even in secular and aristocratic organisation like the NBA, it is going to creep.to the banking sector, the NDA and little by little, the spirit of uniformity will die in areas where they should be important.

I really hope I'm talking to a matured and unbiased individual that will not be prejudiced because of the struggle at hand, but picture catholics with their swinging crosses, deeper life and their turbans, the Lord's Chosen and their Apron, and some alhajas the will want to.wear the full length hijab and even covering their face tomorrow, all of them got this instruction from the lord.

And contrary to what most Muslims think, these are not choir uniform but part of the day to day dressing of fanatical members of this religion and taking it off is akin to unclothedness for them too.

I am not an IBO person and definitely not in support of what the Biafran struggle has been made into but you and I know what the SE are fighting for is real. They are being marginalized and there contribution is taken for granted. They are not allowed to have a say in the direction of the country and despite generating more.revenue, they're given little allocation year after year.

And the reverse is the case with northerners. If this same set of people are allowed to change a very sensitive aspect of the law culture, then it safe to.say that the country is biased and more sympathetic to the needs of the Muslims over the Christians.

How many years have dlbc members been crying over the use of trousers for the compulsory service year. How many deeper life corp.members have rejected posting to breweries and other nicotine producing firm and have preferred lesser paying jobs in remote areas for the sake of.their faith? If the country has not listened to.the plea of these people for well over 30 years but will quickly readjust because of a different group of people, is the law then said to be fair?

If her only purpose of existence is to serve the Almighty, most beneficent and merciful, then I know she would fulfil that purpose better without the incumbrance of the law school.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by albacete(m): 8:38am On Dec 23, 2017
ReinaFarine:

And any group of people that will not obey the laid down rulesnof an association should be ready to forfeit their membership. As a Nigerian she has the freedom of religion.

And please, I've never worn the 'lawyer's wig' before bit are you telling me that there is no way it can be fashioned to cover her hair properly so as to obey that part of her religion.

Like someone earlier said, Gandhi picked his turban over the right to practice law in a certain country. I think she should pick whatbis most important to her. God and her beliefs or Law and its rules.

It seems like a tough call, but if this thing be from God, he is going to give her something greater than NBA and Nigerians in general can ever offer. But of it is just her fanaticism manifesting, then I'm sorry for her.

The reason most Christians are showing this level of vexation over an issue not pertinent to them is because of the high level of partiality shown to northerners especially the Muslim. If an exception is going to be made for this religion even in secular and aristocratic organisation like the NBA, it is going to creep.to the banking sector, the NDA and little by little, the spirit of uniformity will die in areas where they should be important.

I really hope I'm talking to a matured and unbiased individual that will not be prejudiced because of the struggle at hand, but picture catholics with their swinging crosses, deeper life and their turbans, the Lord's Chosen and their Apron, and some alhajas the will want to.wear the full length hijab and even covering their face tomorrow, all of them got this instruction from the lord.

And contrary to what most Muslims think, these are not choir uniform but part of the day to day dressing of fanatical members of this religion and taking it off is akin to unclothedness for them too.

I am not an IBO person and definitely not in support of what the Biafran struggle has been made into but you and I know what the SE are fighting for is real. They are being marginalized and there contribution is taken for granted. They are not allowed to have a say in the direction of the country and despite generating more.revenue, they're given little allocation year after year.

And the reverse is the case with northerners. If this same set of people are allowed to change a very sensitive aspect of the law culture, then it safe to.say that the country is biased and more sympathetic to the needs of the Muslims over the Christians.

How many years have dlbc members been crying over the use of trousers for the compulsory service year. How many deeper life corp.members have rejected posting to breweries and other nicotine producing firm and have preferred lesser paying jobs in remote areas for the sake of.their faith? If the country has not listened to.the plea of these people for well over 30 years but will quickly readjust because of a different group of people, is the law then said to be fair?

If her only purpose of existence is to serve the Almighty, most beneficent and merciful, then I know she would fulfil that purpose better without the incumbrance of the law school.

Thank you

Well said! Honest truth.
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by hamzeiy: 6:09pm On Dec 23, 2017
ReinaFarine:

Thank you
Oh pls lets stop being hypocrite and be sincere to our selves, the more of that the better for us as a people and country.
Its a fact that xtains have no issue wearing trousers, they do that while going to church yet a lot of your pastors see noting wrong in that (after all you are in an era of grace so why the sudden complain about biblical laws), bringing the compulsory Nysc way of dressing on this issue holds no water as obviously if you've served the country you would have notice we are the forerunners on our detest for trousers for females, its not a Christian. But its just a way to tell us " oh forget about this aspect of your faith after all we are also not practising ours"
As i said earlier it is better we know our differences and accommodate them otherwise we would keep going in cycles .....
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by ReinaFarine: 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
hamzeiy:

Oh pls lets stop being hypocrite and be sincere to our selves, the more of that the better for us as a people and country.
Its a fact that xtains have no issue wearing trousers, they do that while going to church yet a lot of your pastors see noting wrong in that (after all you are in an era of grace so why the sudden complain about biblical laws).

As i said earlier it is better we know our differences and accommodate them otherwise we would keep going in cycles .....

Get your facts straight. Ask about deeper life around you. Even ear rings, make up, powder, attachments of any kind, and many other forms of 'worldliness' as they like to call it. They don't wear.

I'm not saying you should bend because they bend. I'm saying they must not scratch your back if they wont scratch theirs.

So many dlbc sisters have forfeited service for their faith. Firdausi can do likewise without crying injustice and islamophobia.
Just do a little research in deeper life and the number of sisters that have been decamped for changing the khaki trouser to skirt. PR refusal to wear the white pt shorts.
Re: Bitter Truth About Lady Who Refused To Remove Her Hijab & So Was Denied Admissio by Vivere: 12:11am On Dec 24, 2017
albacete:

First off, it is Christians, not xtians. What do you stand to gain when you address us as xtians?

@the bolded: I thought you read that part where she was asked to remove her hijab but she refused. Or should we be defining disobedience?

@red font: Suit Nigerian Bar Association first, don't bother about pleasing us. Christians are not responsible for her woes, we are not her village people. Go and talk to NBA that didn't call her to Bar because of her foolishness. Don't make this a Christian /Muslim fight.

What kind of religion disrespects an institution's law? Won't you give to Ceasar what belongs to Ceasar?
You can't come to NBA's house and tell them how to run their affairs. If your religion won't allow you to abide by their rules and regulations, look elsewhere. Must you be a Barrister?

She wants to be a lawyer, NBA did not beg her to study law. If the cut off mark for Law is, say 270 and she got 269, would it be right to give her admission based on 269? She has seen where her people from the North got admitted to tertiary institutions with low scores due to Federal Character and Quota system. She has even read when JAMB wanted to make their cutoff mark to be 100 (out of 400,which is a paltry 25%) so as to favour her people. So her shallow thinking confused her into believing that anything can be compromised. We can't tolerate it any further.

It is true that Nigerians are very religious people. Christians and Muslims alike came to be called to Bar, and this one came to do identification of faith. Maybe she has been getting away with such deviant acts but on that day, Karma decided to call it a day.
This is 6 years gone down the drain. Time wasted, money wasted, all because of religion.

Keep telling her that she did the right thing while she continues to wallow in self-pity.
Keep disobeying the law and keep losing out.
Keep whipping up religious sentiments to attract sympathy and watch others do exploits.

Her village people finally caught up with her.

Oh goodness, I wish I could dash you 9,999 likes for this post. That part where you said "Christians and Muslims alike came to be called to Bar, and this one came to do identification of faith," was so hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing for ages...! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

JAMB To Conduct Mock Exams In January / Get Delta State University Delsu Post Ume Past Question/answers / NOUN 2018/2019 GP Calculation Tool. Be The First To Use It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.