Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

My New Position - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My New Position (1089 Views)

Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job? / UK Bsc And Msc Degree. What Position Can I Expect In A Bank? / How Can I Get Sponsor For My New Radio Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My New Position by sweetmum(f): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2010
dont really know how to go abt this again.
one of my subordinate is not respecting me
she challenges me all the time.
Re: My New Position by tollu: 11:37am On Apr 03, 2010
That could be a big challenge and I do not envy you. I have some questions though:

1. Do you respect yourself n d subordinate?
2. Is this subordinate rude to everyone or does it appear to be jst u?
3. Are you on top of your job?
4. Did you get to be the person's boss by merit?

We need more details please.
Re: My New Position by chy(f): 7:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
I was in a similar poeition for like two years
IS this subordinate a female
Find out if she is having affair with your immediate line manager or the overall boss
Then pray about it
Re: My New Position by silentc(m): 11:37am On Apr 05, 2010
Depends on what kind of company you work for,

If her insubordination is affecting her work (i.e not taking directive from you), then you should have processes of handling this through HR. She should be sent a memo/email with HR copied stating how her insubordination is affecting her job and how you want to run your team. HR are there to back managers up in doing their job (I am assuming you are her manager).

If her attitude is more subtle, then you use a different strategy, involve her less in projects and be more formal with her etc. She will get the message that you are in charge.

If she isnt your direct report but work together (and is still your subordinate) then involve her manager.

BUT, look deep inside to be sure she is challenging you with good ideas and not just taking your direction without thinking and pushing back to you with good ideas. Sometimes we might not like people challenging our ideas or decisions.

If she is sleeping with a big boy in the company, then grit your teeth and ignore her. There is nothing you can do.
Re: My New Position by tboyjnr(m): 1:07pm On Apr 05, 2010
chy:

Find out if she is having affair with your immediate line manager or the overall boss
Then pray about it

Pray, lol, is that really your advice, bloody hell!!!

If it is really bad that you cannot ignore her, then find out why she is so confident to challenge you, she/he may be jealous of your position,
but first look deeply into the matter, or ask around the people you are close to at work.
Re: My New Position by sweetmum(f): 3:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
thank you for your contributions

i called her yesterday and sat her down to know why she was challenging me at every opportunity.she said she did not want to accept me as her boss because she is older than me and why should the company brought me from another branch to come and head the department while there are a lot of them that has been loyal.
i understood her but it is not reason she should not listen to me.
am going to watch her this week,if she did not change i will give her a warning letter.
Re: My New Position by Katsumoto: 7:00pm On Apr 10, 2010
sweetmum:

i called her yesterday and sat her down to know why she was challenging me at every opportunity.she said she did not want to accept me as her boss because she is older than me and why should the company brought me from another branch to come and head the department while there are a lot of them that has been loyal.
am going to watch her this week,if she did not change i will give her a warning letter.

You do not need people who are going to undermine you. Make her understand that you are going to replace her one way or the other if she does not change her attitude. Do you the power to have her transfered or sacked? As a manager, you probably have goals/objectives set for you by your manager. You shouldn't have to deal with a recalcitrant subordinate while trying to achieve your objectives.
Re: My New Position by DisGuy: 2:11am On Apr 11, 2010
chy:

Then pray about it

yea this is true, learnt it in my second year engineering management module, Mr Baker says it works tongue
Re: My New Position by DisGuy: 2:17am On Apr 11, 2010
sweetmum:

Have a word with senior management/HR informing them of the loyal sod that is questioning their decision and remind her she can be transferred if she is that bothered about her age!!

Tel her if she focus on the job at hand you can recommend her for senior roles elsewhere

(1) (Reply)

Keystone Bank Promotes 995 Staff - I Really Havent Believed It. / Do You Need Someone To Multivate Your Worker, Youth Or Church / Graduate Studies In Science Lab Technology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.