Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:00 AM

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos - Politics (769) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos (2075264 Views)

Update On Developments in Ebonyi state (photos) / ABIA STATE: Updates On Developments- Pictures / Update on developments in Anambra state-photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) ... (1317) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by afube: 6:25pm On Aug 29, 2021
mktinsight:

You don't need an airport for an MRO facility. But as a business venture it makes sense if you can organise it. Aero is the only company with a small MRO facility for 737 C check and it uses the expertise of Ethiopian Airlines.

Air peace on its own cannot finance a facility that costs hundreds of millions of dollars. Thats why onyema buys 20 year old 737 jets that cost only a few million dollars and leases others at high cost.

The market for aircraft maintenance in Nigeria is hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Like J said I have a classmate who is a pilot and for regular maintenance they go to Europe or the Middle East at high cost.

I think you are venturing into a sector you obviously do not know much about............you do not know the level of maintenance checks he wants to carry out in his facility.............am sure Allen will not jump into aircraft D-check maintenance in the first instance. So talking about 100s of millions of dollars in investment does not arise.

7 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Philipxxxx0: 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2021
abnot:

In its initial years it did nothing different from arik, dana and the rest. In fact arik started better because it started off with new planes which were more efficient than the old planes air peace started with. However there are certain factors that led to arik's huge debt profile some of which I'll outline.
1. Wrong Aircrafts- Arik ran domestic routes with Beoing 737NGs (700/800). These aircraft types are more profitable on regional routes with flight durations of 3-5 hours. Arik used these planes on short 40-45mins flights which made it impossible for them to generate the kind of revenue they ought to have generated. Also the engines of the 737NG are very expensive thus generating very little money on each cycle of lagos to abuja also made it hard for them to breakeven.

2. Wrong funding: Arik was getting its financing from Nigerian banks at 24% interest rate. In commercial aviation the margins are very low thus starting off at negative 24% percent already sets the airline for disaster.

3. Expatriate workforce : Many of arik's pilots/engineers were expats earning in dollars along with other perks that drove up their personnel expenses. There was no longterm plan of training young nigerian pilots and gradually filling up positions with the young pilots..

4. Dollar loan Naira revenue: The massive devaluation of 2014 drove up arik's debt profile. They were exposed to dollar loans which they took when the dollar sold for NGN157 and had to pay back at NGN380 to the dollars.

5. Diversion of funds: There was a clear cases of the airline's owner taking advantage of the huge cashflow seen in commercial aviation by diverting these funds out of the airline to other personal and business interests. This made them unable to meet their financial obligations to service providers.

6. Heathrow and JFK landing slots: These landing slots are some of the most expensive in the world. Kenya airways recently sold one of the landing slots at heathrow airport to oman air for $75 million. Running a point-to-point (Lagos to heathrow) service to heathrow was definitely going to lead to cash bleed.

7. Unfavorable wet-lease deal with Hi-Fly - Another avenue for cash burn.

8. Management team with limited knowledge of aviation business - The owner's son graduated from uni, worked at a bank for 3 years and joined arik afterwards as a director or even CEO. Can't remember exactly.

9. Poor government policies in Nigeria that made sure that cost was permanently higher than revenue. Every airline operator today ought to know these and know that if arik could go down there businesses could also go down if they repeat the same mistakes arik made. At least the FG has taken away custom duties from all their imports and also granted VAT waiver on tickets. Also CBN now has a window where they can borrow at single digit interest rates. I wish them all the best and hope that they don't get carried away by the huge cashflow
Thanks, I know from what you said without check internet the owner of that Arik can not be Igbo man, Igbos dont play with their business, we are business minded, where others did not succeed, we will.

7 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by abnot: 7:39pm On Aug 29, 2021
Philipxxxx0:
Thanks, I know from what you said without check internet the owner of that Arik can not be Igbo man, Igbos dont play with their business, we are business minded, where others did not succeed, we will.
The way allen onyema is pushing this his business you can tell that there is a difference between his personality and that of arik founder. Allen goes to any length. All the aviation ministry senior officials know him because he goes to any office to make sure something is done to ease the burden on his business and that of other nigerian aviation operators. Even the aviation committees in both nigerian senate and house of reps hosted him and his colleagues many times when they went to lobby to get certain elements of the finance act amended. When he disagreed with nigerian customs over duties and all he went to everywhere to try to to get the government to call customs to order. He even threatened to take asky to court due to their anti-competitive actions. I still wonder why the arik CEO founder remained laid back and allowed his company's debts to accumulate despite the huge investments he had made. It marvels me.
Aliko Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Jim Ovia, Tony Elumelu , BUA and many others won't stay laid back and allow their businesses to suffer. They will go to anywhere (within government circle) to make a case. Today airpeace and many other airlines don't pay customs duty on any of their aircrafts or aircraft spares. Imagine how much arik would have saved if this policy was passed into law during their hay days. Right now the operators are fighting for CBN to create a FX window for them so they can buy dollars at the official rate.

7 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 29, 2021
afube:

I think you are venturing into a sector you obviously do not know much about............you do not know the level of maintenance checks he wants to carry out in his facility.............am sure Allen will not jump into aircraft D-check maintenance in the first instance. So talking about 100s of millions of dollars in investment does not arise.

Onyema that was buying 20 year old 737 jets with questionable money for 2-3 million dollars in Florid and Texas will suddenly setup an MRO and do D checks? You are funny. All the best to Onyema. Aviation is not like Ekene Dili Chukwu.
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 29, 2021
Oga you don start again.
mktinsight:

Onyema that was buying 20 year old 737 jets with questionable money for 2-3 million dollars in Florid and Texas will suddenly setup an MRO and do D checks? You are funny. All the best to Onyema. Aviation is not like Ekene Dili Chukwu.

4 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2021

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by ChimaAdeoye: 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2021
Rocksvibes234:
Airpeace to establish a flight academy in umueri to be one of the best flight school in Africa, he's also interested to building airport hotel and resort.
He Also adviced his excellency to construct a road from the airport to Riverine areas so that it will be developed.

It's going seeing Anambra state developing.
This airport will really bring in huge development into Anambra thanks for Obiano, he's not leaving a stone behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hto1z6_KwxA

Great updates! Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Rocksvibes234: 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2021
"ANAMBRA WILL BE THE MANUFACTURING HUB OF NIGERIA" - SOLUDO
DECLARES AT AGUATA APGA STAKEHOLDERS MEETING

By Christian ABURIME

Prof Chukwuma Charles Soludo, CFR, the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA,
gubernatorial candidate has declared that Anambra State will be the
manufacturing hub of Nigeria if elected governor
The world renowned economist made this declaration at the Aguata APGA
stakeholders meeting hosted by Chief Godwin Ifeanyichukwu Okafor "Winco"
(Okpala Anyanwu-Ora) and his wife, Chief Mercy Okafor in their country home in
Isuofia
Addressing the gathering, Cee Cee Soludo expressed gratitude to the host for
inviting him to be part of the meeting. He counselled the audience on the need to
take full advantage of the on-going INEC continuous voters registration exercise
by registering in their various wards.
He urged them to be ready and vigilant, saying the opposition are boasting of
coming to "take' Anambra but insisted that APGA will win the gubernatorial
election in a legitimately free and fair contest
"The future of Anambra is on the ballot, therefore you must be vigilant and ready
to vote APGA for continuity" Soludo stated
Cee Cee Soludo further told the gathering that he is coming with an Agenda for
the poor and vulnerable, adding that nobody should be limited in life by reason of
circumstances of birth or environment.
He recounted as "Charlie Mwagbafor" (a nickname for his humble beginning), he
rose against all odds to become a Professor at the age of 38 years stressing that
such opportunity should be available to all
The former CBN Governor also gave some tips of his Agenda for the people of the
state which he said will be unveiled soon.
On youth empowerment, he said he will reverse the trend of youth migration from
Anambra State to other States by deliberately creating an enabling environment
that will create 1000 youth millionaires every year who will in turn create
employment opportunities for others.
On infrastructural development, Soludo said Governor Willie Obiano has done
exceptionally well in this regard. He cited the Anambra International Passenger
and Cargo Airport, the 10,000 sitting capacity International Conference Centre and
the Awka City Stadium as monumental edifices that he will build on to open up the
state for unprecedented industrial growth
Speaking on the real sector of the State economy, the erudite Professor said he
will make Anambra the manufacturing hub in Nigeria. To make this a reality, he
said, he will tackle the electricity issue headlong that has bedeviled that sector
and create cluster of industries to boost employment for Ndi-Anambra.
He told the audience that he will lead by example as the Chief marketing officer of
every product made in Anambra State. He assured the people that everything
about his government will be localised within the state
"My government will deliberately and consciously promote products and goods
made in Anambra state and everything the government will use will be localised"
Soludo asserted.
He stated further that the textile industry alone can create thousands of job
opportunities for the masses, saying this is the reason he has chosen to wear the
Akwuete textile material to promote and boost the local textile industry
On natural disaster threatening the state, Soludo said there are about 900 erosion
sites in the state which deserve immediate attention while the issue of flooding,
especially in some riverine areas in the state will be tackled headlong.
On urban renewal, Cee Cee Soludo revealed that Awka, Onitsha, Nnewi and
Ekwulobia will form the major axis of the urban renewal plan while adequate
attention will be paid in rehabilitating the people in Okpoko
On environment, he asserted there will be full comprehensive planning for a clean
and healthy environment within the markets and residential areas and across the
entire landscape of the State
On education, he said it will be prioritised and ICT driven for the younger
generations of Ndi Anambra to remain competitive in the emerging digital world
On health, Soludo promised to upscale the medical facilities in the hospitals for
Ndi Anambra to have access to affordable health system adding that hospitals
and other health centres will equally be upgraded
Concluding his speech, Cee Cee Soludo again told the audience to gird their loins
and remain active participants in their wards, saying that election are won at the
wards and polling booths. He thanked the audience and the host for the
opportunity given to him to speak to them
Other dignitaries present at the occasion include: Dr Vin Okpala, Commissioner for
Health; Engr Emeka Enzewanne, Commissioner for Utilities, Hon Okey Okoye, Hon
Chike Anyaonu, Hon Jude Emecheta, Hon Vitalis Okoloakor, Hon Titus Anigbodu
(Igwummba Aguata); HRH Igwe Col C.A.O Muoghalu, Isu II N'Isuofia; HRM Engr
Emmanuel Chukwukadibia Onyeneke, Ezejiofor 2nd N'Ekwulobia, ADS members
and many others

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Chikeluba25(m): 11:17pm On Aug 29, 2021
Obiano should have given us a terminal building like the one below. But let me save this it here for future use. We can still expand you know. Airport is all about adding new things...

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by OreMI22: 11:43pm On Aug 29, 2021
Chikeluba25:
Obiano should have given us a terminal building like the one below. But let me save this it here for future use. We can still expand you know. Airport is all about adding new things...
That terminal building is more than 986 meters long!

When one sees posts from mksignDemon, you don't know whether to laugh, cry, ignore or rain abuses.

All of a sudden, Obiano has access to magical resources more than France to build any type of massive structure in the world just for wanting it.

I often wonder why not a single airport in Nigeria that has been existing since 1960 is even close to That. Yet MkstDemon will not find it appropriate to recommend the structure to oil producing governors that receive 100 times bigger allocation than Obiano. Or even to the FG to expand and modernize ABUJA airport.

Even the richest oil state AKWA IBOM has a tiny bungalow terminal for more than 10 years now. I don't even want to mention Bayelsa so i won't get in trouble with some of them here.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by afube: 12:42am On Aug 30, 2021
mktinsight:

Who appointed you moralist-in-chief for people's source of wealth ! You keep making incongruent posts and counter posts on this forum, are you suffering some kind of bipolar condition?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 30, 2021
afube:

Who appointed you moralist-in-chief for people's source of wealth ! You keep making incongruent posts and counter posts on this forum, are suffering some kind of bipolar condition?

STFU. Clearly you are immoral like three quarters of the Nigerian population and lack an ability to think critically as a result. I would never bet on a business run by someone indicted for fraud in the US. Whether he is from Anambra or my village.

The US DOJ and FBI spent years tracking Onyema, Kingsley Kuku and Eghaga and the controversial Presidential Amnesty Fund that was looted by Kuku and laundered by Onyema in the US and Canada.

I have seen this movie before. Arik Air and it will not end well.
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by ChineduAIaegbu: 10:10am On Aug 30, 2021
BeijinDossier:

Mktinsight is a cursed miseeable frustrated fellow. He is a failure in life, that's why he tries to drag others down to his miserable level, but he hasn't succeeded, not even in this thread. Everyone knows him here and his propaganda mission that has equally failed woefully. cheesy

You don get like 671 monikers for Nairaland.
At this rate, na to make you admin or shareholder remain.
You are doing well.

4 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by ChlneduAlaegbu: 10:13am On Aug 30, 2021
Desmond face me, your backward useless worthless shithole Imo state is burning but all you do is camping here with your over 100 monikers. Unfortunately for you, I am the only one that fits you. Owerri is a glorified village where terrorists are now having a field day but you are never worried. I spit on you.

[s]
ChineduAIaegbu:

You don get like 671 monikers for Nairaland.
At this rate, na to make you admin or shareholder remain.You are doing well.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by hammer3x: 10:16am On Aug 30, 2021
Chikeluba25:

That is a beautiful terminal building you selected.

I like it.

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by BeijinDossier: 10:17am On Aug 30, 2021
ChlneduAlaegbu:
Desmond face me, your backward useless worthless shithole Imo state is burning but all you do is camping here with your over 100 monikers. Unfortunately for you, I am the only one that fits you. Owerri is a glorified village where terrorists are now having a field day but you are never worried. I spit on you.

[s][/s]

You said it all. You have actually tamed that clown. That's all he does on YouTube, spewing envy and bitterness while his cursed Imo state is in ruins. It is only the evil mktinsight that likes his post. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by bomb24: 10:19am On Aug 30, 2021
ChlneduAlaegbu:

[s][/s]

Bloody abobaku keep quoting urself. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 30, 2021
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/airlines-choking-on-high-repair-fuel-costs-report/

Airlines choking on high repair, fuel costs — REPORT
August 9, 2021

By Lawani Mikairu

Failure to establish a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility, MRO, that can carry out comprehensive maintenance and checks on aircraft operating in the country has been identified as a major factor stifling the growth of domestic airlines in the country.

It has also been established by stakeholders that aside from aviation fuel, maintenance remains the second major cost to airlines operating in the country, stifling their growth.

However, there appears to be no end to this, as the Federal Government’s proposed MRO facility is still at negotiation stage, according to Aviation Ministry officials.

It will be recalled that the federal administration had for over two decades nursed the ambition of setting up a maintenance facility in Nigeria to position the country as aircraft repair hub in West and Central Africa, but has so far failed to muster the necessary political will to bring it about.

The only two MRO centres in the country at present, Aero Contractors and 7 Star Global Hangar Limited, lack the capacity to meet the demands of operators. The harsh business environment in the country has also not helped their efforts to expand and acquire the necessary equipment for maintenance.

Airlines incur heavy costs

Experts, who spoke with Vanguard were unanimous that domestic airlines incur heavy costs taking their aircraft overseas for maintenance, especially as they have to pay allowances to pilots who will fly the aircraft to the MROs, pay for hotel accommodation, fuelling as well as airport charges.

It was learned that some of these expenses could have been avoided, if there were maintenance facilities in the country.

Vanguard learned that of the four aircraft maintenance regimes — A, B, C, and D-checks, only the first two can be conveniently done in the country, while for the last two stages, operators have no option but to take their planes abroad.

According to current NCAA regulation, every aircraft operating in Nigeria is mandated to go for a C-Check after every 18 months.

For Boeing 737-300 and 737-500, the C-check is conducted after every 4,000 flight hours, while for Boeing 737-400 and Boeing 747-400 it is conducted after 4,500 and 6,400 flight hours respectively. In the case of Airbus A-330-341 this check is done every 21 months

The most detailed inspection is the D-check. This inspection is generally an overhaul. For Boeing 737-300, 737-400 and 737-500, this inspection is conducted after 24,000 flight hours.

Boeing 747-400 requires a D-check after 28,000 flight hours, while for Airbus A-330-341, after six years. Note that the commonest aircraft type used by operators in the country is the B-737 series because it is strong and rugged.

$200m spent annually on aircraft checks

Vanguard investigation and interaction with some operators revealed that Nigerian airlines spend more than $200 million dollars annually on maintenance of their aircraft abroad.

This constitutes huge capital flight and heavy financial burden on operators, considering the difficulty of accessing foreign exchange even as rates race upwards.

‘FG working on an MRO’

Right now, there is no government-owned MRO facility currently in the country . The Federal Government recently came up with an advertorial that it intends to establish an MRO facility in Nigeria, stating that it had identified the need for the establishment of such facility.

It read: “The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) through the Federal Ministry of Transportation (Aviation) has identified the need for the establishment of Maintenance, Repairs and Overhaul (MRO) Facility in Nigeria, as currently there is none in the West and Central African regions.

“The availability of this facility would help to achieve the following objectives: establish the first MRO facility in West and Central Africa that will address the demand in the region; optimize foreign exchange expenses for major aircraft maintenance; generate more employment opportunities for Nigerians and Nigerian companies; enhance knowledge and technology transfer and support aviation value chain contribution to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth.”

The ministry noted that due to the sizable investment and technical expertise required in setting up the MRO facility, FGN was exploring the possibility of entering into a Public-Private Partnership, PPP via a Build-Operate-Transfer, BOT, model, whereby a private sector partner will develop and operate the MRO facility, while the government provides the required support to facilitate its establishment.

The proposed MRO will have the capacity to serve both Narrow Body (Jet and Turbo Prop) and Wide Body aircraft maintenance requirements and may be located at either the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja or Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos,” the notice also read.

‘Project on, at advanced stage’

Speaking with Vanguard about the current status of the proposed federal government-owned MRO, the Director of Press, Federal Ministry of Aviation, Dr James Odaudu, said the project was still on track.

According to Odaudu, “the project is in advanced stage in the procurement phase. A preferred partner has been selected, negotiations will commence soon.

“The next step will be commencement of negotiation with preferred partner and finalisation of Full Business Case, FBC.”

Airline operators lament

Some operators noted the debilitating effects the problem of inadequate maintenance facility in the country was having on their operations.

The General Manager, Corporate Affairs, Dana Air, Mr Kingsley Ezenwa, said: “It’s affecting all airlines, not just Dana Air; and we are taking the initiative to build ours because our engineers have the capacity for such maintenance here in Nigeria. The only thing affecting it is just the huge cost of taking the aircraft outside and bringing them back.
READ ALSO: FBI, Nigerian Police not fair to Kyari — Northern Coalition

“We also work with Aero when necessary and it has been good. If we have more functional ones in Nigeria, it will help a great deal but while we are working towards this, we would continue the maintenance schedule abroad and partner Aero where necessary also.”

COVID-19 worsened things, says Air Peace COO

Reacting in a similar manner, the Chief Operating Officer, COO, Air Peace, Mrs. Toyin Olajide, said the coming of COVID-19 devastated airlines worldwide.

She explained that Air Peace had several aircraft out on C-check maintenance abroad before COVID-19 and were caught up with the Covid-19 lockdown globally.

“In our own case, we had several aircraft out on C-check maintenance abroad before COVID-19. These aircraft were supposed to have since come back, one after the other, but because of lock-down in those countries since February, the maintenance facilities shut down too. There was no maintenance.

“The Nigerian C-check regime is driven by calendar, which implies that every aircraft has a time frame they must go for mandatory checks, which is usually between 18 and 24 months.

“Out of 25 aircraft in our fleet, several aircraft were out on one maintenance or another. This is the reason for our cutting down on our frequencies and the destinations we serve.

“However, the good news is that most of the planes have started returning to the country after the maintenance and we have started returning to our old routes and opening new ones.”

Only 2 MROsin Nigeria

In spite of Nigeria being aviation hub in West Africa, there are only two maintenance facilities in the country licensed by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA. They are Aero Contractors and 7 Star Global Hangar Limited, a start-up facility. But their capacity in aircraft maintenance is limited and not comprehensive, as they can only conduct the first two stages of repairs, A and B-checks.

Speaking with Vanguard, the Base Maintenance Manager/Head, AMO, Aero Contractors MRO, James Ominyi said the current cost of carrying out C-Checks on a Boeing 737 series depends on the state of the aircraft.

“There are so many factors involved. The first is the type of aircraft; second is the type of C-check, age of aircraft, and work scope for the C-check,” he said.

One of the domestic airlines’ maintenance engineers who preferred anonymity, told Vanguard that “depending on the scope of work to be done, an average C-check costs about $1.8 million, which is conservatively about N500 million per aircraft based on the current exchange rate.”

Costly maintenance abroad

Further investigations revealed that to carry out a C-check on a B737-300 aircraft outside the country costs between $320,000 and $350,000 per plane, while the changing of a landing gear of the same aircraft type costs around $90,000. D-check, which is almost complete overhaul, costs much more.

Speaking about the urgent need for an MRO in the country, the Accountable Manager of 7 Star Global Hangar Ltd, Isaac Balami, said the total cost of aircraft maintenance in West Africa is over $1 billion dollars annually, adding that Nigeria, with the highest number of aircraft taken overseas for maintenance, bears about 75 per cent of the said amount.

Balami said: “When you talk about Nigerian airlines, you are talking about West Africa because Nigeria is actually West Africa, whether you like it or not. Across the sub-region, over $1 billion is spent annually on aircraft maintenance and that is a fact. Nigeria contributes about 75 per cent of this expenditure.

“That is huge capital flight. Those of us in the sector and in MRO business feel frustrated about it. This is obviously a serious blow to Nigeria’s economy because I think that if the Aviation industry has $1 billion, you can imagine what they will do with it.

‘’So the point is that we must stop that leakage. It is not a matter of let’s try; we have to stop it. The private sector has to be involved because government cannot do it alone.

“Yes, there is 100 per cent interrelationship between cost of airline failure and cost of maintenance overseas. Aside from aviation fuel, maintenance is the second biggest cost for Nigerian airlines and it is affecting our airlines badly.

“The issue is when you put Boeing-737 on the ground and it is not flying, you will be losing over $100,000 every day. This is because your fixed and variable costs are known. You cannot change it because whether you fly or you don’t fly, you will still do maintenance; whether it is after 500 hours, 1,000 hours or 18 months, whether it is D-check, whether it is C-check; that you are not flying does not mean you won’t conduct checks on the aircraft.’’

He also identified high cost of maintenance overseas as the major reason Nigerian airlines go under after a short period of operation.

“Aircraft maintenance is determined by calendar and cycles. So when you are not flying, you may not be getting the cycles, but the calendar is affecting it, so at the end of 18 months, you must do it.

“When you do it overseas, you spend extra cost, including visa for your crew, allowances you have to pay to the crew, hotel accommodation, among others. You are also going to pay for navigational charges. If you are going to the US, you will be losing about three to four days. You will stop and refuel. What you will spend on your aircraft taking them overseas will be enough to pay your staff for a certain period,” he explained.

There is, therefore, an urgent need for Nigerian MROs to upgrade their facilities so that Nigerian airlines will not be taking their aircraft abroad.

Modern equipment needed

The head of Aero Contractors MRO, James Ominyi, while speaking on this, said for Nigerian MROs to develop the capacity to take over the maintenance of aircraft and stop airlines from taking their equipment overseas, they have to ensure that they had modern equipment and personnel.

“MROs in Nigeria first need to spend money to improve their equipment, training, tools to be able to compete with MROs outside the country. One thing airlines think about is if I go to Aero, will they have everything to do what they need to do? But thank God that our chief executive officer has been buying new equipment every month.

“Last month, our set of jacks came in. So the truth of the matter is that in Aero MRO and other MROs locally, once you patronise us, your man-hour rate is lower than you can get in Europe. That is already big savings. If an airline has to leave Nigeria and fly six hours to Europe; that is a huge cost you would have saved if you towed your aircraft to Aero Contractors’ hangar.

“The growing MRO sub-sector in Africa is a $3 billion business. Most of that business is going outside. We need to retain that business within Africa. For Nigerian airlines, they need to retain their hard-earned foreign currency by patronising Nigerian MROs,” Ominyi said.

Vanguard News Nigeria
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 30, 2021
Nigeria's Dana Air eyes local MRO facility
Dana Air Boeing 737-300 Dana Air Boeing 737-300 © Dana Air
29.07.2021 - 14:01 UTC

Escalating aircraft maintenance costs abroad are forcing Dana Air (9J, Lagos) to look into establishing its own maintenance repair overhaul (MRO) facility in Nigeria, says Chief Operating Officer Obi Mbanuzuo.

He told The Authority newspaper local aircraft maintenance would cut domestic airlines’ operating cost by 50%, due to savings on ferrying aircraft abroad and the extra manpower needed to do so.

According to Mbanuzo, Nigeria has the technical expertise to carry out heavy maintenance checks. “We don’t have the MRO at present, but we have the knowledge and capability to do it, which is why we now work towards establishing our own MRO.”

“Right now, we fly our aircraft abroad for checks. Just flying the aircraft abroad one way costs about USD15,000, and flight charges may be about USD2,000, and the airplane goes there for a month, six weeks, or eight weeks in some cases. Then the technician abroad earns four to five times what somebody in Nigeria will earn, so manpower cost is the main thing that makes the charge very high,” he explained.

According to the ch-aviation fleets advanced module and Flightradar24 ADS-B data, one of Dana Air's two B737-300 leased from Aerolux - 5N-DNA (msn 28400) - is currently in maintenance with Atitech at Naples Capodichino. The airline's fleet consists of two B737-300s, one MD-82 stored at Lagos; and three active MD-83s.

Dana Air is not the first Nigerian airline to consider setting up its own MRO facility to avoid costly maintenance abroad. Air Peace (P4, Lagos) earlier this year oulined long-term plans in this regard but cited high operating costs and lack of adequate technical manpower as some of the challenges impeding a local maintenance operation. Nigerian carriers also lack the foreign currency to pay for heavy MRO services abroad. A home-based heavy maintenance facility would mean airlines would be able to pay in local currency. Air Peace currently has at least four aircraft on maintenance abroad, including two B737-300s at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion and Amman Queen Alia respectively; one B777-200(ER) in Cairo, and two B777-300s at Cairo Int'l and Addis Ababa each. Another three of its aircraft - a B737-300 and an EMB-145LR - are in repair in Lagos, with a B737-500 being repaired at Port Harcourt Omagwa, ch-aviation fleets advanced data shows.

As things stand, Aero Contractors (N2, Lagos) has an MRO facility that can maintain B737 Classics and turboprops like DHC-8-Q400s and DHC-8-Q300s.
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 30, 2021
Ethiopian MRO Services is a division of Ethiopian and is established in 1957 to provide MRO services for aircraft, engines and components of Ethiopian and third party customers. The primary base of Ethiopian is at Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

At present Ethiopian MRO has work force of over 1800 fully qualified technical staff and a facility certified by competent regulatory bodies like ETCAA, FAA and EASA.

Ethiopian MRO has four main hangars used for airframe maintenance. A closed-door hangar to accommodate one B767/787/777, a closed door hangar to accommodate two B767/787s or four B737 size airplanes at the same time. The third hangar is open-door and can accommodate three B737 size airplanes and the fourth is an open door hangar that accommodates two Q400s.

There are two warehouses for over 100,000 line items. The first is dedicated for aircraft parts whereas the second is used for commercial and bulk items.

Ethiopian MRO is utilizing “Maintenix”, a state of the art MRO management IT system also Selected by Boeing for Gold-care program.

The values of Ethiopian MRO focus on the following four exceptional customer satisfaction.

1. Top quality
2. Short turnaround time
3. Highly competitive Price
4. Excellent customer service

Ethiopian MRO Engine shop has full overhaul capability of CFM56-3/7, PW120, and GTCP331-200 APU as well as modular maintenance capability for PW2000, PW4000 engines supported by various repair shops.

In support of its engine overhaul facility, Ethiopian is utilizing a fully equipped with up to 100,000 pound jet engine test cell and two modern turboprop engine test beds.

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by MI6Surveillance: 12:58pm On Aug 30, 2021
Hahahaha frustration has set in. This can only be joblessness.

Mktinsight, no one is interested in your pile of rubbish. Anambra has got international airport and will soon get international MRO.

So take your nonsense post outta from here

[s]
mktinsight:
Ethiopian MRO Services is a division of Ethiopian and is established in 1957 to provide MRO services for aircraft, engines and components of Ethiopian and third party customers. The primary base of Ethiopian is at Bole International Airport, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. At present Ethiopian MRO has work force of over 1800 fully qualified technical staff and a facility certified by competent regulatory bodies like ETCAA, FAA and EASA. thiopian MRO has four main hangars used for airframe maintenance. A closed-door hangar to accommodate one B767/787/777, a closed door hangar to accommodate two B767/787s or four B737 size airplanes at the same time. The third hangar is open-door and can accommodate three B737 size airplanes and the fourth is an open door hangar that accommodates two Q400s. There are two warehouses for over 100,000 line items. The first is dedicated for aircraft parts whereas the second is used for commercial and bulk items.
Ethiopian MRO is utilizing “Maintenix”, a state of the art MRO management IT system also Selected by Boeing for Gold-care program.he values of Ethiopian MRO focus on the following four exceptional customer satisfaction.

1. Top quality
2. Short turnaround time
3. Highly competitive Price
4. Excellent Ethiopian MRO Engine shop has full overhaul capability of CFM56-3/7, PW120, and GTCP331-200 APU as well as modular maintenance capability for PW2000, PW4000 engines supported by various repair shops.
In support of its engine overhaul facility, Ethiopian is utilizing a fully equipped with up to 100,000 pound jet engine test cell and two modern turboprop engine testbeds.ethiopianairlines.com/images/librariesprovider10/default-album/engine.jpg?sfvrsn=ca4710a_5[/img]
[/s]

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by MI6Surveillance: 1:02pm On Aug 30, 2021
Another useless worthless post. No one is interested in your post. You are rejected and all your post.

[s]
mktinsight:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/08/airlines-choking-on-high-repair-fuel-costs-report/
Airlines choking on high repair, fuel costs — REPORT
August 9, 2021By Lawani MikairuFailure to establish a Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul facility, MRO, that can carry out comprehensive maintenance and checks on aircraft operating in the country has been identified as a major factor stifling the growth of domestic airlines in the country.t has also been established by stakeholders that aside from aviation fuel, maintenance remains the second major cost to airlines operating in the country, stifling their growth.However, there appears to be no end to this, as the Federal Government’s proposed MRO facility is still at negotiation stage, according to Aviation Ministry officials.It will be recalled that the federal administration had for over two decades nursed the ambition of setting up a maintenance facility in Nigeria to position the country as aircraft repair hub in West and Central Africa, but has so far failed to muster the necessary political will to bring it about.he only two MRO centres in the country at present, Aero Contractors and 7 Star Global Hangar Limited, lack the capacity to meet the demands of operators. The harsh business environment in the country has also not helped their efforts to expand and acquire the necessary equipment for maintenance.Airlines incur heavy costsxperts, who spoke with Vanguard were unanimous that domestic airlines incur heavy costs taking their aircraft overseas for maintenance, especially as they have to pay allowances to pilots who will fly the aircraft to the MROs, pay for hotel accommodation, fuelling as well as airport charges. It was learned that some of these expenses could have been avoided, if there were maintenance facilities in the country.anguard learned that of the four aircraft maintenance regimes — A, B, C, and D-checks, only the first two can be conveniently done in the country, while for the last two stages, operators have no option but to take their planes abroad.]According to current NCAA regulation, every aircraft operating in Nigeria is mandated to go for a C-Check after every 18 months.
For Boeing 737-300 and 737-500, the C-check is conducted after every 4,000 flight hours, while for Boeing 737-400 and Boeing 747-400 it is conducted after 4,500 and 6,400 flight hours respectively. In the case of Airbus A-330-341 this check is done every 21 months[/bhe most detailed inspection is the D-check. This inspection is generally an overhaul. For Boeing 737-300, 737-400 and 737-500, this inspection is conducted after 24,000 flight hours.Boeing 747-400 requires a D-check after 28,000 flight hours, while for Airbus A-330-341, after six years. Note that the commonest aircraft type used by operators in the country is the B-737 series because it is strong and rugged$200m spent annually on aircraft checksanguard investigation and interaction with some operators revealed that Nigerian airlines spend more than $200 million dollars annually on maintenance of their aircraft abroad.This constitutes huge capital flight and heavy financial burden on operators, considering the difficulty of accessing foreign exchange even as rates race upwards.‘FG working on an MRO’ight now, there is no government-owned MRO facility currently in the country . The Federal Government recently came up with an advertorial that it intends to establish an MRO facility in Nigeria, stating that it had identified the need for the establishment of such facility.It read: “The Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) through the Federal Ministry of Transportation (Aviation) has identified the need for the establishment of Maintenance, Repairs and Overhaul (MRO) Facility in Nigeria, as currently there is none in the West and Central African regions.The availability of this facility would help to achieve the following objectives: establish the first MRO facility in West and Central Africa that will address the demand in the region; optimize foreign exchange expenses for major aircraft maintenance; generate more employment opportunities for Nigerians and Nigerian companies; enhance knowledge and technology transfer and support aviation value chain contribution to Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth.”b]The ministry noted that due to the sizable investment and technical expertise required in setting up the MRO facility, FGN was exploring the possibility of entering into a Public-Private Partnership, PPP via a Build-Operate-Transfer, BOT, model, whereby a private sector partner will develop and operate the MRO facility, while the government provides the required support to facilitate its establishment.
he proposed MRO will have the capacity to serve both Narrow Body (Jet and Turbo Prop) and Wide Body aircraft maintenance requirements and may be located at either the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja or Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos,” the notice also read.
Project on, at advanced stage’peaking with Vanguard about the current status of the proposed federal government-owned MRO, the Director of Press, Federal Ministry of Aviation, Dr James Odaudu, said the project was still on track.ccording to Odaudu, “the project is in advanced stage in the procurement phase. A preferred partner has been selected, negotiations will commence soon.The next step will be commencement of negotiation with preferred partner and finalisation of Full Business Case, FBC.”irline operators lamentome operators noted the debilitating effects the problem of inadequate maintenance facility in the country was having on their operations.The General Manager, Corporate Affairs, Dana Air, Mr Kingsley Ezenwa, said: “It’s affecting all airlines, not just Dana Air; and we are taking the initiative to build ours because our engineers have the capacity for such maintenance here in Nigeria. The only thing affecting it is just the huge cost of taking the aircraft outside and bringing them back.
READ ALSO: FBI, Nigerian Police not fair to Kyari — Northern CoalitionWe also work with Aero when necessary and it has been good. If we have more functional ones in Nigeria, it will help a great deal but while we are working towards this, we would continue the maintenance schedule abroad and partner Aero where necessary also.”OVID-19 worsened things, says Air Peace COOReacting in a similar manner, the Chief Operating Officer, COO, Air Peace, Mrs. Toyin Olajide, said the coming of COVID-19 devastated airlines worldwideShe explained that Air Peace had several aircraft out on C-check maintenance abroad before COVID-19 and were caught up with the Covid-19 lockdown globally.In our own case, we had several aircraft out on C-check maintenance abroad before COVID-19. These aircraft were supposed to have since come back, one after the other, but because of lock-down in those countries since February, the maintenance facilities shut down too. There was no maintenance.The Nigerian C-check regime is driven by calendar, which implies that every aircraft has a time frame they must go for mandatory checks, which is usually between 18 and 24 months.Out of 25 aircraft in our fleet, several aircraft were out on one maintenance or another. This is the reason for our cutting down on our frequencies and the destinations we serve.However, the good news is that most of the planes have started returning to the country after the maintenance and we have started returning to our old routes and opening new ones.”Only 2 MROsin Nigerian spite of Nigeria being aviation hub in West Africa, there are only two maintenance facilities in the country licensed by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA. They are Aero Contractors and 7 Star Global Hangar Limited, a start-up facility. But their capacity in aircraft maintenance is limited and not comprehensive, as they can only conduct the first two stages of repairs, A and B-checks.b]Speaking with Vanguard, the Base Maintenance Manager/Head, AMO, Aero Contractors MRO, James Ominyi said the current cost of carrying out C-Checks on a Boeing 737 series depends on the state of the aircraft.
There are so many factors involved. The first is the type of aircraft; second is the type of C-check, age of aircraft, and work scope for the C-check,” he said.One of the domestic airlines’ maintenance engineers who preferred anonymity, told Vanguard that “depending on the scope of work to be done, an average C-check costs about $1.8 million, which is conservatively about N500 million per aircraft based on the current exchange rate.”[/ostly maintenance abroad
urther investigations revealed that to carry out a C-check on a B737-300 aircraft outside the country costs between $320,000 and $350,000 per plane, while the changing of a landing gear of the same aircraft type costs around $90,000. D-check, which is almost complete overhaul, costs much more.peaking about the urgent need for an MRO in the country, the Accountable Manager of 7 Star Global Hangar Ltd, Isaac Balami, said the total cost of aircraft maintenance in West Africa is over $1 billion dollars annually, adding that Nigeria, with the highest number of aircraft taken overseas for maintenance, bears about 75 per cent of the said amount.Balami said: “When you talk about Nigerian airlines, you are talking about West Africa because Nigeria is actually West Africa, whether you like it or not. Across the sub-region, over $1 billion is spent annually on aircraft maintenance and that is a fact. Nigeria contributes about 75 per cent of this expenditure.That is huge capital flight. Those of us in the sector and in MRO business feel frustrated about it. This is obviously a serious blow to Nigeria’s economy because I think that if the Aviation industry has $1 billion, you can imagine what they will do with it.So the point is that we must stop that leakage. It is not a matter of let’s try; we have to stop it. The private sector has to be involved because government cannot do it alone.Yes, there is 100 per cent interrelationship between cost of airline failure and cost of maintenance overseas. Aside from aviation fuel, maintenance is the second biggest cost for Nigerian airlines and it is affecting our airlines badly.The issue is when you put Boeing-737 on the ground and it is not flying, you will be losing over $100,000 every day. This is because your fixed and variable costs are known. You cannot change it because whether you fly or you don’t fly, you will still do maintenance; whether it is after 500 hours, 1,000 hours or 18 months, whether it is D-check, whether it is C-check; that you are not flying does not mean you won’t conduct checks on the aircraft.’’ also identified high cost of maintenance overseas as the major reason Nigerian airlines go under after a short period of operation.Aircraft maintenance is determined by calendar and cycles. So when you are not flying, you may not be getting the cycles, but the calendar is affecting it, so at the end of 18 months, you must do it.When you do it overseas, you spend extra cost, including visa for your crew, allowances you have to pay to the crew, hotel accommodation, among others. You are also going to pay for navigational charges. If you are going to the US, you will be losing about three to four days. You will stop and refuel. What you will spend on your aircraft taking them overseas will be enough to pay your staff for a certain period,” he explained.ere is, therefore, an urgent need for Nigerian MROs to upgrade their facilities so that Nigerian airlines will not be taking their aircraft abroad.Modern equipment neededThe head of Aero Contractors MRO, James Ominyi, while speaking on this, said for Nigerian MROs to develop the capacity to take over the maintenance of aircraft and stop airlines from taking their equipment overseas, they have to ensure that they had modern equipment and personnel.MROs in Nigeria first need to spend money to improve their equipment, training, tools to be able to compete with MROs outside the country. One thing airlines think about is if I go to Aero, will they have everything to do what they need to do? But thank God that our chief executive officer has been buying new equipment every month.Last month, our set of jacks came in. So the truth of the matter is that in Aero MRO and other MROs locally, once you patronise us, your man-hour rate is lower than you can get in Europe. That is already big savings. If an airline has to leave Nigeria and fly six hours to Europe; that is a huge cost you would have saved if you towed your aircraft to Aero Contractors’ hangar.The growing MRO sub-sector in Africa is a $3 billion business. Most of that business is going outside. We need to retain that business within Africa. For Nigerian airlines, they need to retain their hard-earned foreign currency by patronising Nigerian MROs,” Ominyi said.Vanguard News Nigeria
[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 30, 2021
Hey Nothing Upstairs. How does it feel like being ignored ? grin grin grin
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by MI6Surveillance: 1:06pm On Aug 30, 2021
mktinsight:
Hey I AM EMPTY AND FRUSTRATION

I am the only one that fits your madness and propaganda, that's why you are running away from me. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 30, 2021
MI6Surveillance:

I am the only one that fits your madness and propaganda, that's why you are running away from me. cheesy cheesy

So you are also empty and Frustrated. Nothing Upstairs. grin grin grin
Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Bogus001: 1:09pm On Aug 30, 2021
I swear dat guy is evil! been watching his remark here before the construction of the airport instead of hiding in shame he still ve gut' to type.
MI6Surveillance:
Another useless worthless post. No one is interested in your post.

[s][/s]

3 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by MI6Surveillance: 1:12pm On Aug 30, 2021
mktinsight:

I AM EMPTY USELESS, JOBLESS AND FRUSTRATION IN LIFE

Mktinsight you need our prayers. Ndo ooh cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by MI6Surveillance: 1:15pm On Aug 30, 2021
Bogus001:
I swear dat guy is evil! been watching his remark here before the construction of the airport instead of hiding in shame he still ve gut' to type.

When I said that he is a demonic night owl, people thought it was a jest, but everyone has seen it now. That old disgruntled jobless hopeless mktinsight must have poisoned to death all the people around, no wonder he is alone and frustrated in life that's why all his posts are evil and bitterness. But we have conquered him in this thread cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Update on developments in Anambra state-photos by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 30, 2021
Please summarize those three epistles up there, in relation to air peace MRO. What is your conclusion?
mktinsight:
Hey Nothing Upstairs. How does it feel like being ignored ? grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) ... (1317) (Reply)

Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.