Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo (21648 Views)

EFCC Officials Caught Slapping ABU Students At A Private Hostel / UNILAG SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS & DURATION - 09082964145 / NOUN Lists Requirements For Postgraduate Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by maestroferddi: 9:16pm On Dec 21, 2017
kimbraa:
Then you're lying. My ex schooled there, and he confirmed it. grin
Dont come here and be disgracing yourself...

Because some faceless ex of yours bad-mouthed a federal university reputed for being uncompromising when it cpmes to maintaining standards, you chose to apply critical thinking.

Must you swallow what was at best a subjective/visceral view line, hook and sinker?

What does it say about you that you elected to outsourced the proper use of your faculties to some character who has discontinued interfacing with you seasons ago?
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by realabraham: 9:22pm On Dec 21, 2017
Nackzy:

My set started January 2016 n finish December 2017, yeah I paid 173k first session, second I paid 110k, the fee increases every year, faculty of science...

Now that's high. Same faculty at Unilorin payed 76k first year and 70k second year. And I must give them the credit, they are fast too.
Thanks, didn't know uniport was that fast. Good to know.

1 Like

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by KingRabota: 9:23pm On Dec 21, 2017
seunmohmoh:
too long infact i no read anything,i read only d heading.
Then it's obvious that you don't have the intellectual capacity to comprehend what a post graduate degree is about, or mental ability to even be on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Ermacc: 10:32pm On Dec 21, 2017
kimbraa:
sorry, your Ex is a liar.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by dview001(m): 10:40pm On Dec 21, 2017
kimbraa:
If I have the opportunity to advice even a jambite on a choice of university, I'll overrule UNIUYO 'cause of nepotism and tribalism. Secondly, Their lecturers act like all the students they're lecturing speak Efik Ibibio. That's very silly of them.
stupid bitch... I can see you're suffering from intellectual myopia.... what of the lecturers in SW universities that expect everyone to understand Yoruba.. foulmouthed smelling pussy prostitute
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by valenu(m): 10:58pm On Dec 21, 2017
mrphysics:

Sorry to ask Sir, don't be offended. Do Unical have any glory, past, and future glory?
Your English is not correct. Which University did you attend?
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by valenu(m): 11:01pm On Dec 21, 2017
kimbraa:
He isn't the first person I heard this from, and don't forget I also got a first hand experience with their admin. As a matter of fact, I was welcomed in Ibibio before I sternly informed her I wasn't from Akwa Ibom. It's either you don't want to say the truth 'cause it's your school. What kind of a lecturer in a federal university stops half way in middle of lectures to communicate in his dialect in classes where students are from diverse tribes?. Are they even being professional in their jobs?.

Then, you haven't been to any Federal university in Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by valenu(m): 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2017
kimbraa:
And u believed everything ur ex told u? Hope ur ex graduated at the right time.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Gerrard59(m): 3:11am On Dec 22, 2017
princeking2:
I graduated from this school.
I can relate with what the OP is experiencing.
I swore not to have anything good or bad to do with UNIUYO. The lecturers feel if you graduate on time or graduate with good grades, that you will snatch their jobs from them
. So the work towards frustrating that fear. But, my prayer is that they will receive divine wisdom to do right. Their mindset is major problem.
They school should start by compulsorily retiring 80% of their academic staffs, 100% of their non academic staffs.

Selah......

Heard this from someone whose friend undergoing an MSc program. There's that morbid fear of people succeeding even under one's tutelage. What about the lad who was excessively envied because he was graduating with a First Class from a department in the state university? Simply because he's not from the state.

I blame it on lack of exposure, suffering and smiling mentality, poverty and lack of critical thinking amongst the populace.

3 Likes

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Gerrard59(m): 3:15am On Dec 22, 2017
AnodaIT:
Schools in Uyo and Calabar are like that

They frustrate their people keeping them in a program for extra 2 years while their mates in the North and SW and churning out thousands of graduates every months

Then they will be complaining that Yoruba have taken over Mobil.

How can you frustrate someone for 3 years then graduate him with low grade and expect him to measure up with a younger person who graduated with honors and already on the way to further studies

Simply the truth. I've discussed same with top academics on the need to make things easier for students in tertiary institutions in the state, but no, they believe that's how things should be run.

The mentality of "since I passed through same, others must pass it" pervades the state.

Foolish mentality!

2 Likes

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Nobody: 6:32am On Dec 22, 2017
dview001:
stupid bitch... I can see you're suffering from intellectual myopia.... what of the lecturers in SW universities that expect everyone to understand Yoruba.. foulmouthed smelling pussy prostitute
Mynd44. Rule 2 broken here.

1 Like

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 22, 2017
Ermacc:
sorry, your Ex is a liar.
What do you have to say of my personal experience since my ex is a liar?.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by asunmoGGMU(m): 7:49am On Dec 22, 2017
hrykanu231:
You are complaining of Uniuyo? Unical is worse off...they keep savoring in past glorious and are oblivious of how they have been left behind. Interestingly, they will be claiming "we deliver quality not quantity" forgetting in the process that everything in life is tied to time.
The sad part is that their contemporaries(especially most Fed universities in the North), have continued to churn out graduates at the PG level without unnecessary delay. The resultant effect is that, those who run their PG programs up North and finish on record time will most definitely be ahead of those who opted to do their PG program in the south.
Why and how they tenaciously hold unto this "Lord Luggard's way" of running PG program still baffles me.

Try schools in the North and smell your buttocks. It is the same thing everywhere. Nevertheless, there are always exceptions in every school who finishes at the stipulated time.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by asunmoGGMU(m): 7:50am On Dec 22, 2017
AnodaIT:
Schools in Uyo and Calabar are like that

They frustrate their people keeping them in a program for extra 2 years while their mates in the North and SW and churning out thousands of graduates every months

Then they will be complaining that Yoruba have taken over Mobil.

How can you frustrate someone for 3 years then graduate him with low grade and expect him to measure up with a younger person who graduated with honors and already on the way to further studies

Try schools in the North and smell your buttocks. It is the same thing everywhere. Nevertheless, there are always exceptions in every school who finishes at the stipulated time.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by engrbayo11: 7:50am On Dec 22, 2017
I want to say uniuyo is even better, come to Lautech, you will see worse cases here. PG program is just a waste of time in naija schools
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by hrykanu231(m): 8:12am On Dec 22, 2017
asunmoGGMU:

Bro, I'm writing from the prism of one who has undergone programs from both sides. I won't mention my school in the north(they did not pay me for advert). But the speed at which we finish PG program here is alarming and encouraging.
In Unical to even defend thesis proposal you must fast and pray for them to fix date.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by asunmoGGMU(m): 8:47am On Dec 22, 2017
hrykanu231:

Bro, I'm writing from the prism of one who has undergone programs from both sides. I won't mention my school in the north(they did not pay me for advert). But the speed at which we finish PG program here is alarming and encouraging.
In Unical to even defend thesis proposal you must fast and pray for them to fix date.

Exception bro. I am on a PG programme in a Northern university and I can confirm nothing different from the stories I read here are obtainable. I was delayed for just post-field defence that was delayed without reasons (either tangible or not). Chemistry students normally use four years here at PG level. I have friends who used 5 years in schools like BUK. I repeat, it is same thing everywhere with some exceptions across the divide.

2 Likes

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by sageb: 11:10am On Dec 22, 2017
So pathetic, i feel your pain bro #fellow tuskite
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by duduade: 11:46am On Dec 22, 2017
kimbraa:
If I have the opportunity to advice even a jambite on a choice of university, I'll overrule UNIUYO 'cause of nepotism and tribalism. Secondly, Their lecturers act like all the students they're lecturing speak Efik Ibibio. That's very silly of them.

Lol.. So their medium of instruction is ibibio.. In a federal university?? Haba that school must be called to order.. The OP should have copied the Ministry of education, NUC, Minister of Education, State Minister and other high ranking people.. Even Senate president and senators in that State representing them ..

Tweet on Twitter and Instagram..
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by KayCee92(m): 12:14pm On Dec 22, 2017
I graduated from that sch. thinking of going back to start my Msc there buh this article just put a whole on that dream.Really like that state. Op wah do u advise,should I go ahead n pick d form or look for another sch. pol sci and pub admin is the department.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Ermacc: 12:28pm On Dec 22, 2017
kimbraa:
What do you have to say of my personal experience since my ex is a liar?.
Maybe it must have happened once or twice, but not enough to make such generalisation. At U.I, lecturers often make jokes in Yoruba to loosen up the class, that doesn't mean they lecture in Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Mznaett: 7:14pm On Dec 22, 2017
Gbogbo ti gbo in the whole of Aks...
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Vickglam: 11:12pm On Dec 22, 2017
KayCee92:
I graduated from that sch. thinking of going back to start my Msc there buh this article just put a whole on that dream.Really like that state. Op wah do u advise,should I go ahead n pick d form or look for another sch. pol sci and pub admin is the department.

Abeg no go, they frustrate post graduate like hail, you wi not graduate I can tell you for free, thank God I didn't make that mistake, two of my friends that went there for their masters since 2014 they are still they, one had to leave for the US for her masters, under graduate was serious hail for me you have to study very very hard, if you graduated with a 2.1 that means you are a first class material, lol
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by greypencils: 5:59am On Dec 23, 2017
This is very true. I have friends who had to drop out at the THESIS STAGE because of this tedium. The mistake the op made is going to UNIUYO for a masters programme
when there are faster universities. UNILAG-1yr, UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN -18months, IFE-18months, ILORIN - 18months. And the only reason for any kind of delay will be an ASUU strike.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by greypencils: 6:14am On Dec 23, 2017
asunmoGGMU:

Exception bro. I am on a PG programme in a Northern university and I can confirm nothing different from the stories I read here are obtainable. I was delayed for just post-field defence that was delayed without reasons (either tangible or not). Chemistry students normally use four years here at PG level. I have friends who used 5 years in schools like BUK. I repeat, it is same thing everywhere with some exceptions across the divide.
I AM NOT ADVERTISING FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN O. BUT I HAVE OBTAINED 2 MSC DEGREES WITHIN A SPACE OF FOUR YEARS. DO YOU WANT THE BEST PG EDUCATION IN NIGERIA? COME HERE
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by greypencils: 6:36am On Dec 23, 2017
ndoeyopbennet:

I used my name deliberately. It has been in my favour so far. I have been contacted already by the Dean of the PG school and other important persons who can help in my unique plight.
Thank God for that
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by asunmoGGMU(m): 7:49am On Dec 23, 2017
greypencils:
I AM NOT ADVERTISING FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN O. BUT I HAVE OBTAINED 2 MSC DEGREES WITHIN A SPACE OF FOUR YEARS. DO YOU WANT THE BEST PG EDUCATION IN NIGERIA? COME HERE

I know bro. I was offered admission by University of Ibadan in 2014 but I turned it down. I have friend who finished from the Dept of Library, Archival and Information Science, she spent three years for the programme. However, she emphasized that most departments finish as and when due. So, there is always that silly department in every school. Above all, postgraduate programme in Nigeria is frustrating.
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Neozy(m): 10:55am On Dec 23, 2017
ndoeyopbennet:

I used my name deliberately. It has been in my favour so far. I have been contacted already by the Dean of the PG school and other important persons who can help in my unique plight.
Best of luck op.

1 Like

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by bobokunlexzy: 6:36pm On Dec 23, 2017
SnowJay92:

When I see people especially youths post this kind of pessimistic comment on social media, it breaks my heart. This might not be the best place for him to complain, but what exactly do you mean, all lizards crawl so he should just condone the mess and try to come out with exactly? This is how we have been condoning, see where it has gotten us?

Nairaland isn't the best of place to write such thus my comment. Many who has done such in the past can relate
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by Aquarazy(m): 12:23am On Dec 24, 2017
kimbraa:
He isn't the first person I heard this from, and don't forget I also got a first hand experience with their admin. As a matter of fact, I was welcomed in Ibibio before I sternly informed her I wasn't from Akwa Ibom. It's either you don't want to say the truth 'cause it's your school. What kind of a lecturer in a federal university stops half way in middle of lectures to communicate in his dialect in classes where students are from diverse tribes?. Are they even being professional in their jobs?.

As much as i appreciate your comment here, i would advise you note.. .That you or your ex- had an encounter with supposed lecturer(s) of the University of Uyo who used vernacular during lectures is not enough reason to say certain things. Yes, i studied in the University of Uyo. Yes i had a lecturer who would sometimes chip in a thing or two in Ibibio. Did it make him any less professional than he needs to be? No way!! He did his job, passed whatever message he had to pass across to the students. There is no Federal University in this country where the lecturers have never in the course of lecturing used the local dialect. None!

Its not even a normal thing in the school. 98% of the lecturers there do not do that language shit you so openly claim to know so much about. Its all hearsay. Take it from a graduate of the school. Unless of course the student studied Efik/Ibibio.

2 Likes

Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by DateMynd44(m): 2:08pm On Dec 25, 2017
kimbraa:
[s] He isn't the first person I heard this from, and don't forget I also got a first hand experience with their admin. As a matter of fact, I was welcomed in Ibibio before I sternly informed her I wasn't from Akwa Ibom. It's either you don't want to say the truth 'cause it's your school. What kind of a lecturer in a federal university stops half way in middle of lectures to communicate in his dialect in classes where students are from diverse tribes?. Are they even being professional in their jobs?.
[/s]
u are a very big ignorant fool. Just thank God this is a faceless forum you would have received a very dirty slap.
Idiota
Re: The Many Woes Of Postgraduate Students At The University Of Uyo by DateMynd44(m): 2:11pm On Dec 25, 2017
KayCee92:
chose the school. Don't mind the idiotic O.P

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kwara Poly Admission For 2012/2013 / Covenant University Ranks 91st Best University Amongst Emerging Economies / Ways To Keep The Peace With Roommates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.