Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract (9380 Views)

Is It Advisable To Ask Your Landlord For a Loan? / My Landlord And I / Man Kicked Out By Landlord For Changing Girlfriends Too Often In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by ailehwise(m): 1:59am On Dec 21, 2017
I payed for a room selfcontain in abule egba area to be paid installmentaly. The agreement was that the landlord needs to renovate the room, toilet, bathroom, and kitchen. And i was told there is water in the house. The total package of the rent is #150,000. I gave him 70,000 out of the money for the renovation as agreed to balance 80,000 when packing in.

The issue now is that the landlord has change the agreement showing me unexpected attitude. He told me he needs to buy pumping machine after there was agreement there is water in the house. Infact, he is denied some things to be done in the house and called me to balance the 80,000 before the work continues.

What i observed is that he is trying to use my money to renovate his property. I don't trust him anymore.

please is there anyway i can get my money back because i have lost interest to live in the house. Meanwhile, i video him when paying him. Please Lawyers and human right in the house, what should i do?
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by 9jaDoc(f): 2:10am On Dec 21, 2017
Lawyers in the house, help the bro.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by biacan(f): 2:33am On Dec 21, 2017
Never you have anything to do with a faulty house is not worth it........

Meanwhile lawyers in the house come help this brother maybe I would learn something here

10 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by MrHistorian: 7:25am On Dec 21, 2017
So. .You are one of those who believes in Nigeria Judicial system?

Simple Logic. . . .

Get 3 SARS officials,pay them 10k each and let them invade your landlord's residence demanding for an immediate refund of your rent.

Your Landlord will not hesitate to atleast make an 80% repayment at that point when he sees the unfriendly SARS official. . .Be prepared to leave the house that same day and never should you visit that area in your life ooh.. grin

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by nony43(m): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2017
Bros na normal thing, Land lords do collect money to complete their hux

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by veekid(m): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2017
Pple ll never ever learn sha

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by stanliwise(m): 7:26am On Dec 21, 2017
As much as I can remember, to collect money from a Nigerian man after giving them naw like starting world war 3

LANDLORD RIGHT NOW

11 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Talk2Bella(f): 7:27am On Dec 21, 2017
sadly you cannot get your money back, and if u arrest him all he can do is pay back in installments thereby making the money useless to you, you need to apply wisdom when dealing with dubious people as they are never satisfied and think they are wise.

meet him and tell him outright you will do no such thing, do u smoke weed? grin if u do please smoke very well till your eyes are red, talk to him authoritatively let him know you're the boss in this situation, tell him he better refund your money or complete the house in a week and end the statement with "IF NOT" just walk out like a boss, he will call, stammer and beg grin grin grin grin grin

may God save us from evil Landlords Amen

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by ogundokun: 7:27am On Dec 21, 2017
You don't have a case cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by ladeb: 7:27am On Dec 21, 2017
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by YINKS89(m): 7:31am On Dec 21, 2017
Why wld u agree to such an offer to start wif.... Did u even go to the house check around? If nt u re in for it... Moreova 70k is small compared to d money u wld spend in court

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by wildchild02: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2017
Ok

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION... X'mas Promo is on
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Financialfree: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2017
Always make sure anything u are paying for is properly documentrd and signed
It is hard to deny a written agreement

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by koolgee(m): 7:32am On Dec 21, 2017
Hmmmmm​
The issues with Nigerian landlords and their agent is that when a prospective tenant comes, they'll tell you things like "we will renovate the house for you in 1week" but once they collect your money, the story changes. The agent will just disappear cos all he was interested in was his commission.
My principle is renovate before I pay you a dime else, I will kuku go look for another house. No time to dey pursue person pesin for my money.
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by money121(m): 7:36am On Dec 21, 2017
Ok
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by onatisi(m): 7:37am On Dec 21, 2017
is there any written agreement prior to your paying him stipulating it clearly that he is supposed to use the 70k to renovate the property ?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Ojim07(m): 7:38am On Dec 21, 2017
get the mother fucker axe in the head,

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Otapipia: 7:40am On Dec 21, 2017
Any documented agreement? If not, he can conveniently deny your claims and still insist your rent started running from the day you made a deposit. Infant, in the absence of a written agreement suggesting you're a yearly tenant, in the eyes of the law, you're a monthly tenant. I hope you got a lawyer involved while taking the steps you took with the landlord.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by sisisioge: 7:43am On Dec 21, 2017
MrHistorian:
So. .You are one of those who believes in Nigeria Judicial system?

Simple Logic. . . .

Get 3 SARS officials,pay them 10k each and let them invade your landlord's residence demanding for an immediate refund of your rent.

Your Landlord will not hesitate to atleast make an 80% repayment at that point when he sees the unfriendly SARS official. . .Be prepared to leave the house that same day and never should you visit that area in your life ooh.. grin

grin grin grin grin grin

Which kind advise is this?

Money he wants back is N70k
80% of said money is N56k
3 SARs @ 10k each = N60

Have you done the maths? Guy should just maintain he wasn't gonna add to it or ask that his money be refunded. If he declines, keep pestering.

Modified: 30k for the SARs. The bal still isn't enough for a happy ending.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by edoman2016: 7:45am On Dec 21, 2017
Do you think you won't spend more than 70,000 naira in lawsuit against your landlord? Or you think a lawyer is a father Christmas with no bills to pay? Some people will just be boasting of lawsuit as if its free in Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Akfrenzy(m): 7:45am On Dec 21, 2017
;DALL THESE LANDLORDS #IF_I_GET_MONEY_EHH
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by onatisi(m): 7:46am On Dec 21, 2017
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin grin

3 SARs @ 10k each = N60

Have you done the maths? Guy should just maintain he wasn't gonna add to it or ask that his money be refunded. If he declines, keep pestering.
the man wont give him his money back ,because unless there is a written agreement the the money is for the renovation of the property .the man is not even a tenant yet.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by money121(m): 7:48am On Dec 21, 2017
ailehwise:
I payed for a room selfcontain in abule egba area to be paid installmentaly. The agreement was that the landlord needs to renovate the room, toilet, bathroom, and kitchen. And i was told there is water in the house. The total package of the rent is #150,000. I gave him 70,000 out of the money for the renovation as agreed to balance 80,000 when packing in.

The issue now is that the landlord has change the agreement showing me unexpected attitude. He told me he needs to buy pumping machine after there was agreement there is water in the house. Infact, he is denied some things to be done in the house and called me to balance the 80,000 before the work continues.

What i observed is that he is trying to use my money to renovate his property. I don't trust him anymore.

please is there anyway i can get my money back because i have lost interest to live in the house. Meanwhile, i video him when paying him. Please Lawyers and human right in the house, what should i do?

All is well.. Greedy landlord just full naija...
Tell him u need refund of ur money don't involve any lawyer ooo becos that one na extra charges..

One yeye landlord that try that shit with my brother we collect the money bk..
He even pay extra sef..

Awon Eleribu landlord
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by sisisioge: 7:48am On Dec 21, 2017
onatisi:

the man wont give him his money back ,because unless there is a written agreement the the money is for the renovation of the property .the man is not even a tenant yet.

Imagine...imagine being scammed in Abule Egba. This OP should not be left alone to house hunt in Ikeja o grin.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by Malawian(m): 7:51am On Dec 21, 2017
you should have negotiated with the landlord to do the repairs yourself and the balance paid to him.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by masterP042(m): 7:54am On Dec 21, 2017
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin grin

3 SARs @ 10k each = N60

3 SARS @ 10k each is N60k? tongue

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by sisisioge: 7:56am On Dec 21, 2017
masterP042:

3 SARS @ 10k each is N60k? tongue

Na 30k grin but unforseen contingencies fit make my initial calculation accurate grin
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by MrHistorian: 7:59am On Dec 21, 2017
sisisioge:

grin grin grin grin grin

3 SARs @ 10k each = N60

3 SARS officials at 10k each equals 60k?

Man will get a considerable % of his money if he sticks to my advice.
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by sisisioge: 8:01am On Dec 21, 2017
MrHistorian:

3 SARS officials at 10k each equals 60k?

Man will get a considerable % of his money if he sticks to my advice.

N26k out of N70k isn't considerable even with the SARs costing N30k. Miscellaneous nko?
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by chigoizie7(m): 8:20am On Dec 21, 2017
Is there any written agreement to that effect?if oral, who is ur witness?
Re: I Want To Sue My Landlord For Breach Of Contract by pokipoki: 8:22am On Dec 21, 2017
ailehwise:

The first question is was there a written agreement documenting the contract?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying A New Home Versus Building A New Home – Which Is Better? / Building Plan Cost / How To Deal With Problem Tenants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.