Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? (11947 Views)

Only God's Opinion Matters / The Christmas Season I Grew Up With :photos / What Is The Best Creation Of God? - Opinion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by otr1(m): 11:00am On Dec 24, 2017
Since when has our faith in Jesus been about what we feel?
No Christian is obliged to take part in Christmas. In fact, its pagan root alone is a reason not to have anything to do with it.
I still worship in a Church that celebrates Christmas, but whatever they do concerning Christmas, is none of my business. They are on their own.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by SAMBARRY: 11:07am On Dec 24, 2017
There's no need for baseless arguments here.it's not every issue worth arguing about.it's like arguing about why weekends is a day for rest or why you sho go to work on Monday or why women have 2 brezs
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by seansifo(m): 11:08am On Dec 24, 2017
I've gone through the teachings of Jesus Christ over and over again and there's no place in the Bible where He instructs/commands us to celebrate His birth. Why can't we just stick to the teachings of Jesus Christ since he's our perfect example.

I pray the eyes of our understanding be enlightened in Jesus's nsme
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by kelib: 11:08am On Dec 24, 2017
U call Monday to Sunday d way it is but always quick to remember pegan when it comes to Xmas read ur bible again God has given us right to Make a degree n He shall honour it so look for another topic cos if u want to follow history we r not suppose to go to church on Sunday cos it was a day set aside to worship d sun god but God does not reason like man we choose it as our Sabbath day n God himself honours it, Jesus never set a day n call it Sabbath day so read ur bible well n obtain d Devine knowledge n pray to d Holy Spirit for understanding

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Raymondfayowole(m): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2017
What most of u all fail to understand is dat u dont worship God based on your own convinent..if u celebrate Christmas just because it is a combination of christ name, hav u ever wondered or researched on it if it is scriptural. The bible made it clear to us concerning the celebration of his death, that we are to celebrate his death evry first day of the week. Acts 20:7, I cor 11:23-26. we are to celebrate his death in remembrance of him every first day of the week.

The bible is silent concerning the date of his birth, anything the bible is silent on, we are to run away from it. Deut 29:29.

If Christ wanted us to celebrate his birth, when and how to celebrate it would be clearly stated in the bible cause the bible is the word of God.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:10am On Dec 24, 2017
princetom1:

Which celebration do u do on Monday till Sunday? Bt on 25th December, wat do u do?
That's why I ask, what is in day? Are Christians celebrating the Saturnalia that day? If not, is anything wrong because it has a pagan origin? Why do we communicate with words whose origins are pagan? Or communication with the creations of pagans, like when we use the days and months, is different celebrating a day which was pagan's? What's the link?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by lunacol(m): 11:13am On Dec 24, 2017
Why do we mention the days of the week.Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.These are names of pagan gods but we still mention these names.So if you call upon these names of the week Monday to Sunday and condemn celebration of Christmas you are no different from the Pharisees and the Sadducees which we know are pure HYPOCRITES

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by arrestdarrester: 11:16am On Dec 24, 2017
God's opinion? Is this some sort of paradoxical rhetoric or what? Why would one bring God so low as to refer to His Truth on a matter as an opinion?
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by gregyboy(m): 11:16am On Dec 24, 2017
Smartini:
Celebrate Jesus every day of your life, and not just on a date that was previously used by Pagans and then converted by Christians.

No matter how beautiful and holy everyone may portray Christmas to be, the date and the origin remains paganic. In conclusion, celebrate Jesus everyday, and not just on one day.

jesus is celebrated everyday even the God acknowledged the laws of men remeber for whom soever disobey the laws of the land has sin against god ,whatsoever is bound on earth is bound in heaven
there is never a special day for the devil nor special drinks nor food. everyday belongs to God

only this alone i have convinced myself and Jehovah's witnesses

as longs as it exhorts is name and praise his name is worthy to celebrate

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by TVTKOKO(m): 11:17am On Dec 24, 2017
muller101:
Christmas is rubbish and nonsense celebrated by f00ls.
Now do you have to insult I won't reply your insult.
Now to the topic
I know this debate coming up every single year is because, This is the most widely celebrated and popular celebration of the year all over the world and Some people are getting angry because of this fact.
Now tell me, if December 25th was a day of pagan god and the early Christians used this day in exchange to celebrate Jesus in other for the pagan worship to end,, what wrong is there in it?? FYI, we celebrate Christ and not some pagan god..so whatever else is celebrated that day is a mere coincidence.
You say December 25th is the day many people commit sin Tell me.. Are you God's personal Secretary What happened to the remaining days of the year

No matter how much you try to paint this black, it would never change!
And like someone rightly said, the days of the week are pagan rooted.., for each day is dedicated to a god.

Merry Christmas

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by princetom1(m): 11:19am On Dec 24, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
That's why I ask, what is in day? Are Christians celebrating the Saturnalia that day? If not, is anything wrong because it has a pagan origin? Why do we communicate with words whose origins are pagan? Or communication with the creations of pagans, like when we use the days and months, is different celebrating a day which was pagan's? What's the link?

Perhaps, u should celebrate Muslim festivals too, after all, it's just a day. It's wat u do that matters on days like Christmas and so on. Nothing freaks me about this celebrations, infact, it's a time i stay totally indoor because what's out there is the opposite of wat Christ stand for. Christ didn't command u to celebrate it either... So, na u sabi

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by lunacol(m): 11:19am On Dec 24, 2017
seansifo:
I've gone through the teachings of Jesus Christ over and over again and there's no place in the Bible where He instructs/commands us to celebrate His birth. Why can't we just stick to the teachings of Jesus Christ since he's our perfect example.

But you worship the Almighty God on a "sun day" (A Pagan deity) or a Saturn day(A pagan deity also)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 24, 2017
Esepayan:

very correct mate ....the problem is that christains don't read

It is people like you that dont read, and have a problem comprehending. Who made the said december 25th date? Was it the pagan god or God the almighty who created the heavens and the earth and all things therein? "Made day and Night"

So if the date was choosen by pagan worshippers does that mean Christians should avoid it like a plague? if the early church decides to adopt said date to commerate the birth of christ it is adopting a pagan day by your warped thinking ? Or where in your dillusions did you read that the pagan celebration was called Christmas? Go and google the meaning of Christmas.

who are you to question what is to happen on said date? Had God who is the maker of heavens and the earth made a particular day for idol Worshipping? And that said day/ date shouldn't be associated with him? Oga you have a brain use it logically.

5 Likes

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by otr1(m): 11:23am On Dec 24, 2017
Dnaz:
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath.
Colossians 2:16

Christmas is our festival to celebrate Christ, don't pass judgement on us
The Man you're quoting was not trying to justify the celebration of christmas, but was trying to tell us that the death of Jesus has blotted out the handwriting of ordinance ( the law of Moses and should not be confused with the 10 commandments: compare the difference between the Law in Exo. 40:20, and that in Deut. 31:24-26)
Apostle Paul was talking about the law written by Moses (see Deut. 31:24) because that was the handwriting of ordinance written as a witness against us: compare Col. 2:14 and Deut. 31:26b).
The Colossian 2 has nothing to do with christmas nor is it a point of justification to break any of the 10 commandments.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:24am On Dec 24, 2017
seansifo:

There are many things we practice that Christ himself didn’t talk about..like a woman preaching in the church (it was Paul who talked on it and not Christ)..circumsicion wasn’t talked on by Christ (but Peter allowed Jewish converts to get circumscised)...so what say you on these? Are the Christians who listened to Paul and Peter condemned because Christ didn’t talk about these things in his teaching?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Sapiosexuality(m): 11:26am On Dec 24, 2017
princetom1:

Perhaps, u should celebrate Muslim festivals too, after all, it's just a day. It's wat u do that matters on days like Christmas and so on. Nothing freaks me about this celebrations, infact, it's a time i stay totally indoor because what's out there is the opposite of wat Christ stand for. Christ didn't command u to celebrate it either... So, na u sabi
Do Christians worship the Pagan God on Christmas? It's true, they were not commanded to. Do you know that the Celebration of Birthdays have a pagan origin according to the Bible? But Christians celebrate it. Why do they celebrate it? To please the pagan God they don't worship or what?

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Adedayobusayo12(f): 11:26am On Dec 24, 2017
Quite interesting angle to this argument
COLOSSIANS 2 vs 8
See to it that no one takes you captive by
philosophy and empty deceit, according to
human tradition, according to the elemental
spirits of the world, and not according to
Christ.

AND CONTINUE BY READING COLOSSIANS 2VS 16 and 17. DO NOT JUDGE IGNORANTLY. PAGAN OR NO PAGAN, I CAN DECIDE TO CHOOSE A DAY OGUN OR AMADIOHA ARE WORSHIPPED AS A CELEBRATION FOR MY CHRIST SO THE DATE DOESN'T MATTER BUT THE MODE OF WORSHIP. PUBLIC HOLIDAY FOR MOHAMMED'S BIRTH USE TO COME DIFFERENT MONTHS EVERY YEAR SO SHIFT MAKE I HEAR WORK. JJC
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by TVTKOKO(m): 11:27am On Dec 24, 2017
Ollymurs:

It is people like you that dont read, and have a problem comprehending. Who made the said december 25th date? Was it the pagan god or God the almighty?

So if the date was choosen by pagan worshippers does that mean Christians should avoid it like a plague? if the early church decides to adopt said dat to commerate the birth of christ it is adopting a pagan day by your warped thinking ? Or where in your dillusions did you read that the pagan celebration was called Christmas? Go and google the meaning of Christmas.

who are you to question was is to happen on said date? Had God who is the maker of heavens and the earth made a particular day for idol Worshipping? And that said day/ date shouldn't be associated with him? Oga you have a brain use it logically.
as in eh,, i see no reason whatsoever for this yearly argument. They are simply pained at the celebration of Christmas.
Imagine someone saying that most sins are committed on Christmas day..? Whosoever commits a sin on Christmas day has always been a sinner and not because it's Christmas. It's just foolish to imagine
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 24, 2017
Dnaz:
16 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath.
Colossians 2:16

Christmas is our festival to celebrate Christ, don't pass judgement on us

Passing Judgement is not a Sin Sir.

Nobody celebrated Christmas in heaven or on the earth
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:30am On Dec 24, 2017
Ollymurs:

It is people like you that dont read, and have a problem comprehending. Who made the said december 25th date? Was it the pagan god or God the almighty?

So if the date was choosen by pagan worshippers does that mean Christians should avoid it like a plague? if the early church decides to adopt said date to commerate the birth of christ it is adopting a pagan day by your warped thinking ? Or where in your dillusions did you read that the pagan celebration was called Christmas? Go and google the meaning of Christmas.

who are you to question was is to happen on said date? Had God who is the maker of heavens and the earth made a particular day for idol Worshipping? And that said day/ date shouldn't be associated with him? Oga you have a brain use it logically.
They have ears but cannot hear, eyes but cannot see, brains but cannot think! As if the earth was created by any pagan god, how dare any pagan worshipper to tell children of the almighty Creator what day to celebrate their savior? Did the pagan god contribute in creation? What rights does the so called pagan god have to the creation of God? We as humans and God’s children limit and belittle ourselves out of ignorance and fear..it’s like someone telling me not to enter into my father ‘a land because a stranger came in and planted juju on the land? I will enter the land and uproot the nonsense juju because it was never meant to be there in first place, likewise no pagan god has any authority over the creation of God!
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 24, 2017
TVTKOKO:
as in eh,, i see no reason whatsoever for this yearly argument. They are simply pained at the celebration of Christmas.
Imagine someone saying that most sins are committed on Christmas day..? Whosoever commits a sin on Christmas day has always been a sinner and not because it's Christmas. It's just foolish to imagine

My brother ehn, I dont understand the way some people think o! Its baffling
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by otr1(m): 11:34am On Dec 24, 2017
lunacol:
But you worship the Almighty God on a "sun day" (A Pagan deity) or a Saturn day(A pagan deity also)
Whether or not someone decides to name Sabbath, Saturn Day, is not an issue, The issue is, Almighty God sanctified the 7th day (friday sundown to saturday sundown) after creation ( Gen 2:3) far back before the first man walked the earth. Before now, 7th has always been known to be synonymous with Yahweh's day and not saturn.
We all know sunday has been a day for worshipping the sun by pagans and has no place in the Bible
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Adedayobusayo12(f): 11:34am On Dec 24, 2017
We christains are our own enemies, u will never or hardly see muslims bringing there selves to public. You will never see them making public announcement on verses that a contradictory in there holy book. You will never see Alfa as headlines for rituals and pedophiles but pastors, meanwhile, alfas have Phd in those. But fools like Freezer or cooler that has mental issues will be the ones going to national tv to judge pastors. Even when Saul lost it in the bible, God didn't allow pple to treat him like trash cos he was annointed. Have I paid tithe before, No! Am I saying tithe is right or wrong, No! cos its a delicate topic but the Albino called Freezer's approach is a No No. JJC

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 24, 2017
Ollymurs:

It is people like you that dont read, and have a problem comprehending. Who made the said december 25th date? Was it the pagan god or God the almighty who created the heavens and the earth and all things therein? "Made day and Night"

who are you to question what is to happen on said date? Had God who is the maker of heavens and the earth made a particular day for idol Worshipping? And that said day/ date shouldn't be associated with him? Oga you have a brain use it logically.

just for ur information it was a crime to celebrate christmas in the early days.......guess if u read u will know that

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 24, 2017
Esepayan:

just for ur information it was a crime to celebrate christmas in the early days.......guess if u read u will know that

O God! Oga what are you on about? Are we in 1659, how does this correlate with my assertions earlier? What business of your's is early persecutions of christians or laws baning christian celebrations.

Oga thank God we have moved from the days of yore to the days of nigh, what are you going to do again in 1659 na? Haba! Is Christmas a crime in the clime we both live in 2017?

If you dont like to celebrate christmas that is your business, dont come here spewing irrelevant and uncorrelated jargons

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 24, 2017
smiley
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Ericsunday619: 12:13pm On Dec 24, 2017
Godswillnwaoma:
why should a sane Christian celebrate what does not written or commanded in the holy Bible.
Christmas celebration has nothing to do with Christ Jesus, it's a pegan celebration so true Christian should not celebrate it.

Jehovah witnesses​ around the world does not celebrate Christmas.
am an atheist but i celebrate Christmas too grin
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by otr1(m): 12:23pm On Dec 24, 2017
AkpaMgbor:

There are many things we practice that Christ himself didn’t talk about..like a woman preaching in the church (it was Paul who talked on it and not Christ)..circumsicion wasn’t talked on by Christ (but Peter allowed Jewish converts to get circumscised)...so what say you on these? Are the Christians who listened to Paul and Peter condemned because Christ didn’t talk about these things in his teaching?
The essence of the death and resurrection of Christ is that it invalidates some old ways of life. Like animal sacrifice, jewish holidays (sabbath not among). Animals sacrifice is no longer necessary because Jesus has already sacrificed himself for us once and for all. The observation of jewish holidays like the passover is no longer an obligation, because all these are pointing to Jesus Christ that's why Paul said that they are shadows of things to come...when the perfect shall replace the imperfect.
In essence, not following the law of Moses (it's the law that specify what food, meat and drinks Jews should take; It's also the law that talks about the festivals) in this era is not obligatory and altogether not necessary.
Why? Because the 10 commandments defines what a sin is, the law of Moses (Handwriting of ordinance; Col. 2:14) specified the remedy for sin. And now that Jesus has been made sacrifice for us once and for all, that latter law is no longer necessary. So whether you get circumcised now or not, it does not compromise your faith in Christ. Whatever food or meat you decide to eat now, does not matter.
What then matters? Keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus (Rev. 12:17b).
What are these commandments? They are the 10 commandments in their true forms. And what is the faith/testimony of Jesus? It's the faith we have in Jesus Christ as the Chosen One that came to die for our sin.
What's the place of christmas (a festival with pagan origin) in all of this? None.
Christmas was not mentioned in the bible nor was it celebrated by Jesus or any of the Apostles.
The same people that changed the day of worship from the 7th day to sunday (changing the 4th commandments) are the same people that incorporated christmas and easter (pagan festivals that previously had nothing to do with Christians) into Christianity.

1 Like

Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by otr1(m): 12:30pm On Dec 24, 2017
kelib:
U call Monday to Sunday d way it is but always quick to remember pegan when it comes to Xmas read ur bible again God has given us right to Make a degree n He shall honour it so look for another topic cos if u want to follow history we r not suppose to go to church on Sunday cos it was a day set aside to worship d sun god but God does not reason like man we choose it as our Sabbath day n God himself honours it, Jesus never set a day n call it Sabbath day so read ur bible well n obtain d Devine knowledge n pray to d Holy Spirit for understanding
And where in the Bible did God honor sunday? Jesus never set a day and call it Sabbath? How then was he referred to as the Lord Of The Sabbath if it's not his day?
And for records, Sabbath is the 7th day, not sunday the 1st day. And yes, Jesus and his Apostles did keep the Sabbath. You should rather read your Bible.
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2017
Ollymurs:

O God! Oga what are you on about? Are we in 1659, how does this correlate with my assertions earlier? What business of your's is early persecutions of christians or laws baning christian celebrations.

Oga thank God we have moved from the days of yore to the days of nigh, what are you going to do again in 1659 na? Haba! Is Christmas a crime in the clime we both live in 2017?

If you dont like to celebrate christmas that is your business, dont come here spewing irrelevant and uncorrelated jargons

typical in ur comment earlier on u made it seem like christmas has always been celebrated and i just showed u a fact .....and what do u do ..... typical black man you digress .........u are a very slow indiviual who knows next to nothing.......swerve
Re: The Christmas Debate- What Is God's Opinion? by Majesticniyi(m): 12:38pm On Dec 24, 2017
optimus007:
God isn't out to get anyone, people. We need to abandon this our Christian culture of fear. The origin of Christmas doesn't colour the day black. It doesn't colour it white either. It is a day like any other way that God has made. We will be glad and rejoice in it. Christmas isn't a special day.

Its just an excuse for most people to be happy. It's a rich part of human culture that everyone has become a part of, Christian and non-Christian alike. Why sulk around in misery and fear of condemnation when you can cook and share food and goodwill to people around. [/b]
[b]
If I've learnt any thing about God, it's that he wants us to be happy in as much as we stay within the confines of his word.
[b][/b]

Dope!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Why It Will Be Difficult For Many To Enter Into Heaven, Don't Be Deceived / Is There Going To Be a Great Revival Before Jesus Comes ? / God Made Him Gay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.