Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,779 members, 7,813,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? (6655 Views)

Six Churches That Don’t Celebrate Christmas And Why / Four Brain Teasers As We Celebrate Christmas / Daddy Freeze Is A Liar, It Is Not Nimrod We Celebrate On Christmas Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by mrkunlex(m): 9:48am On Dec 24, 2017
why celebrate Christmas
Question: "Why do we celebrate Christmas?"

Answer: Christians the world over celebrate Christmas in honor of the birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem. Various Christmas traditions have been associated with the celebration of Christmas, and different cultures celebrate different ways. The unifying factor is the historical fact that Jesus was born, c. 5 BC. The angel who appeared to the shepherds the night of Jesus’ birth said, “I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:10–11).

We celebrate Christmas because, as the angel said, the birth of Jesus Christ is “good news.” Good news is meant to be celebrated. In fact, the angel said the news of Jesus’ birth would cause “great joy” and would be “for all the people”—the joyful celebration would be universal. People around the globe would be glad for this occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8kCCjM8QPE
We celebrate Christmas because, as the angel said, “A Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.” The three titles the angel applies to Jesus are important. Jesus is the Savior who delivers us from sin and death (Matthew 1:21). He is the human Messiah (or Christ) who fulfills the Law and the Prophets, showing that God is faithful (see Matthew 5:17). And He is the divine Lord who has entered our world: the Almighty has taken on human flesh; God and man have been fused together in an indivisible, eternal bond; God is truly with us (see Matthew 1:23).

In celebrating Christmas, we celebrate the Savior, because we needed deliverance. We celebrate the Christ in whom all of God’s promises are “Yes” and “Amen” (2 Corinthians 1:20). We celebrate the Lord who in humility took on “the very nature of a servant” for our sakes (see Philippians 2:6–cool.

We celebrate Christmas with gift-giving because of the “indescribable gift” that God gave to us (2 Corinthians 9:15). We celebrate Christmas by stringing lights because the Light of the world has come to us (John 1:4; Isaiah 9:2). We celebrate Christmas with carols and choirs because they are expressive of joy and follow the examples of Mary and Zacharias and Simeon and the angels, all of whom extoled the Lord in poetry (Luke 1–2). We celebrate Christmas by decorating evergreen trees with stars and angels and tinsel because of the eternal life Jesus brings (John 4:14)—and stars and angels and beauty were all associated with Jesus’ birth.

In celebrating Christmas we celebrate the love and condescension of God. In Texas in 1987, a toddler by the name of Jessica McClure fell into an eight-inch well casing. Down she went, becoming stuck twenty-two feet below ground. Once people discovered that “Baby Jessica” was in the well, they took immediate action. They didn’t tell her to find a way to climb back up, and they didn’t just shout happy thoughts to encourage her. No, they went down to where she was and got her. They did whatever it took. Rescuers worked nonstop for fifty-eight hours to free her.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve fell. Down they went, dragging all humanity with them into the darkness and death of sin. And what did God do? He did not tell us to find our own way out of the mess we were in, and He did more than shout down happy thoughts to us from heaven. No, He came down to where we were and got us. That’s what Christmas is all about—God’s coming down to rescue us, to do whatever it took to deliver us from sure death.

When even one person is in a life-threatening situation, we understand what has to be done. When God looked down at our sinful planet, He saw a whole world of people in mortal danger. We celebrate Christmas because it was at Christmastime that the Rescuer of all mankind came to save us from the hopeless situation we were in. God did not stay in heaven; He came down to where we are.

Source: https://www.gotquestions.org/why-celebrate-Christmas.html

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by mrkunlex(m): 9:50am On Dec 24, 2017
Fp: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by godsamist: 10:16am On Dec 24, 2017
True the Angle announced the birth of a savior... was the actual date giving?
Did any of his disciples celebrated Christ birth?
With the kind of loss and wild parties associated with this season,can you link a savior to it?
Did the Bible instruct believers to celebrate his birth or his death?....pls read these...
Luke: 22:15_20. Also lcorinthians:11:24_26.
Look inward ,your kind of celebration incurred more atrocities, high rate of death, Increase in divorced when poor homes couldn't measure up!
High rate of unwanted pregnancy during and after!
Think again why you celebrate/worship what you know not.,.... John: 4;22.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by KushyKush: 9:38am On Dec 25, 2017
I don't know why we celebrate Christmas but I know why I'm having sex tonight undecided

7 Likes

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by KelvinC1(m): 9:38am On Dec 25, 2017
He
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Tascom236(m): 9:39am On Dec 25, 2017
WIRE ni
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by KelvinC1(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2017
Oshey..

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by BeReaSonAble(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2017
Though people say Jesus Christ wasn't born on 25th Dec, that 25th Dec was for the worship of some gods.......

You know what, even if it was the day they worship satan, .... we Christian chooses to convert that date to honor Christ birthday ( Christmas).
Christians has taken over the date and the devil can't do anything about it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by rs172(m): 9:40am On Dec 25, 2017
because that how we met it tho!!
but then dropping soon my first studio work.... Reagan stevs. No... download more music on nerohype.
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Chrisrare: 9:40am On Dec 25, 2017
We celebrate christmas so we can eat, drink, fucck, party, travel and entertain ourselves. At least dats how nigerian christians celebrate it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Hardeybohwarley(m): 9:41am On Dec 25, 2017
Eeehhh! I remember the first time I tried asking a lady out in church, after scheming for weeks and plotting my maps I didn’t have the guts to walk up to Vivian and tell it to her face, so I stylishly got her number from a friend and decided to call her up. You guys won’t believe the horrible thing I did, after days of rehearsals on what to say, I finally called her up one evening and dummest thing that could come out of my mouth was “hi, my names is Vivian, can I speak with Allison?”.. Like seriously? And she didn’t make it any easier for me; the response she gave was “sorry, Allison is not around, bye bye.” And she hung up. It was later when I replayed the brief convo in my head i realized how foolish somebody can be, how can I go and say my name is Vivian, you mean I cannot even remember my own name again? haiii,

But hey, before you starting laughing at me let’s admit it, a lot of you Christian guys are like me, shy when it comes to asking a Christian lady out or initiating the conversation.

The whole point is don't enter new year with that shy attitude.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by chukslawrence(m): 9:41am On Dec 25, 2017
k
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by seunlayi(m): 9:41am On Dec 25, 2017
That was before but now, I see this period as an holiday period which I prefer to spend by going to the Deeperlife December Retreat to have a nice time with my Lord and saviour who came and died for me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by opestein: 9:42am On Dec 25, 2017
seunlayi:
Bleep
BeReaSonAble:
ok
KushyKush:
KelvinC1:
He
chukslawrence:
k
una see una lives?
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Marcoassensio: 9:44am On Dec 25, 2017
shouting village people dey disturb me na hin i go kon pay money enter bus go meet dem....shey i craze........Jesus was not given birth to on 25 December...mumu beings
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Nobody: 9:44am On Dec 25, 2017
because everyone else is doing it
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:44am On Dec 25, 2017

LOL.
VIRGINS DON'T BEAR KIDS. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by seunlayi(m): 9:44am On Dec 25, 2017
opestein:
una see una lives?

JJC sported. Even lalasticlala and seun often book space

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Flexherbal(m): 9:44am On Dec 25, 2017
Romans 14 has the answer.
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:47am On Dec 25, 2017
Deep down,lots of folks know it ain't right,but do it anyways to feel among.
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by EmekaBlue(m): 9:48am On Dec 25, 2017
I'm not celebrating
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by noskcid(m): 9:51am On Dec 25, 2017
This topic is presented to answer the many questions that have arised concerning end time Christian believers taking part in the festivities of the CHRISTMAS SEASON. Is the celebration of Christmas biblical? Does the birth of Jesus really fall on December 25? What about Santa Claus, gift-giving, the christmas tree, and other tinsels? Are they really biblical?

INTRODUCTION
CHRISTMAS originated from the word "Christ-Mass" which is a Roman Catholic tradition, a special mass performed in celebration of Christ’s birth

Christmas was not among the earliest festivals of the Christian Church. It was not celebrated, commemorated, or observed, neither by the apostles nor in the apostolic church — not for at least the first 300 years of church history, after Catholicism took over the first church of Rome which was originally established by Apostle Paul. It was in the year 350 A.D. that Pope Julius-I declared that Christ’s birth should be celebrated on "December 25". History reveals that the Church at Jerusalem commenced the celebration of Christmas only during 440 A.D., following the leadings of Roman Catholicism.

ANCIENT HISTORY
Ancient history reveals that in past ancient pagan civilizations, it is no coincidence that December 25th was also the birthday of their pagan gods. All of BABYLONIAN and ROMAN FESTIVALS were characterized by 5-7 day celebration periods of unrestrained or orgiastic revelry and licentiousness held between the 17th and the 23rd of December. December is the time of year when days began to lengthen and ancient man was blessed with a “regeneration of nature” and held an annual celebration for it.

Specifically, December 25th was the Victory Festival of the “SUN-God” in the pagan Babylonian world. In the ancient Roman Empire, the same celebration can be traced back to the Roman Festival called “Saturnalia”, which honored Saturn, the harvest god, and Mithras, the god of light. They held the circus during this time of the year. Both festivals were celebrated during or shortly after the winter solstice, between the 17 th and 23rd of December.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by IAmSkinny: 9:52am On Dec 25, 2017
G.
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by Rexnegro(m): 9:54am On Dec 25, 2017
To remind the world when Christ was agreed to be born
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by ipobarecriminals: 9:57am On Dec 25, 2017
cool cool Jesus Christ. is the reason for today. As we celebrate His birthday, so shall the world celebrate the birth of of every good things in ur life. Happy birthday PRINCE OF PEACE

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by BeReaSonAble(m): 10:02am On Dec 25, 2017
opestein:
una see una lives?
how e dey? Anyway, it's going to be better in the coming years.
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by pawesome(m): 10:03am On Dec 25, 2017
As you ask me so,who you want make i ask?
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by muller101(m): 10:04am On Dec 25, 2017
Op where in the Bible were you ordered to celebrate Christmas
Better remain a pagan than being a confused Christian
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by muller101(m): 10:04am On Dec 25, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
cool cool Jesus Christ. is the reason for today. As we celebrate His birthday, so shall the world celebrate the birth of of every good things in ur life. Happy birthday PRINCE OF PEACE
Did he ask you to set today aside and celebrate him.?
Re: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas? by ajoguegbe(m): 10:05am On Dec 25, 2017
i

(1) (2) (Reply)

Same Religion, Same God, Same Aim..reduce The Infidèles. / Mountain Top Life Daily Devotional: THE POWER OF CONFIDENCE / Do You Believe In The Law Of Karma?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.