Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,735 members, 7,813,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 - Travel (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (1163926 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (452) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by MrKM: 6:09am On Jan 24, 2020
Don't be surprised, with the way things are evolving, they may even start carrying out pregnancy tests on every adult female b1b2 visa holder at their port of entry. Anything fit happen. Never say never undecided
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 6:28am On Jan 24, 2020
lami88:

The end of an era. But i trust Nigerians to find a way. Maybe couples will start going to the US now, copulate there, get pregnant there and kuku stay and deliver the baby there. smiley grin��
Visit visa is for six months not nine months, not sure how it's going to work
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Omachichi: 6:44am On Jan 24, 2020
So does of us that have a visa should do what now? Me I don’t have money to waste..I’m just confused ���

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by falopey: 7:55am On Jan 24, 2020
TWoods:

The rule is far stricter than you've made it appear to be. It is not intended merely to "register displeasure", it is a clear binding rule on all US consulates around the world and the news agencies have reported the intent of the rule correctly. Yes you are correct that the rule only applies to the D/S and not to the DHS. This simply means the rule applies to every consular officer who has to make a determination as to whether you can obtain a visa to the US or not. As i read the rule, unless there is a specific medical reason that you cannot have your baby in the US that cannot be treated in your home country, simply stating "i want to have my baby in the US so he can have citizenship" is no longer a permissible reason to obtain a B visa. Not only are you required to state what the medical reason is, you also have to prove that a medical facility in the US has agreed to treat you and has provided you a projected duration and cost for the medical procedure. Based on this rule, i would wager 99% of cases here will no longer qualify for a visa.

As you said, the rule does not affect the CBP, so folks who have current visas and intend to have their babies in the US may still have the chance to do so (please do your own homework before you travel). Those affected are those who will be applying for a visa after tomorrow sadly[b].
[/b]

The other day when travel ban was implemented. Those with already issued valid visa before the ban were turned back at the port of entry.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:12am On Jan 24, 2020
MrKM:
Don't be surprised, with the way things are evolving, they may even start carrying out pregnancy tests on every adult female b1b2 visa holder at their port of entry. Anything fit happen. Never say never undecided

They are not allowed to do that. According to New York Times. Lol

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:17am On Jan 24, 2020
[quote author=Omachichi post=86060249]So does of us that have a visa should do what now? Me I don’t have money to waste..I’m just confused ���[/
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Ttosyn12: 8:18am On Jan 24, 2020
My interview is next month... Please, is it possible to change my purpose of traveling before the interview date?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:30am On Jan 24, 2020
Kemo88:

My own visa just expired.i’m very sure as long as your child is born in the US , the child will get a citizenship no matter your visa status, that bit hasn’t changed. That’s why the children of illegal immigrant have over the been given US citizenship even though their parents are illegal.
I believe over the next few months things will get clearer. I’m not bothered about the visa application as much as POE. You can get a visa for whatever reason even before you get pregnant. Are we gonna be lying at POE now? Are we reverting to going as early as 5months to conceal the belle so we can enter or does this rule not concern POE?
If you or your spouse is a US citizen or permanent resident you can give birth in US soil and that's fine.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:34am On Jan 24, 2020
Ttosyn12:
My interview is next month... Please, is it possible to change my purpose of traveling before the interview date?
Next month is not far, you may reapply for a new one, I don't think they do change the purpose of traveling that easily. BTW if giving birth there is the reason, as long as your spouse or you are a US citizen or permanent resident don't worry that much
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:36am On Jan 24, 2020
[quote author=Stephenmoka4 post=86062526]If you or your spouse is a US citizen or permanent resident you can give birth in US soil and that's fine.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by UhnNah: 8:38am On Jan 24, 2020
Kemo88:

My own visa just expired.i’m very sure as long as your child is born in the US , the child will get a citizenship no matter your visa status, that bit hasn’t changed. That’s why the children of illegal immigrant have over the been given US citizenship even though their parents are illegal.
I believe over the next few months things will get clearer. I’m not bothered about the visa application as much as POE. You can get a visa for whatever reason even before you get pregnant. Are we gonna be lying at POE now? Are we reverting to going as early as 5months to conceal the belle so we can enter or does this rule not concern POE?

You ladies should avoid revealing your next moves on public forums! I’ve seen a lady here from reuters news asking to interview people! If she knows about this forum! Be assured the ‘Feds’ are watching as well to know what next you guys are up to!

13 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:40am On Jan 24, 2020
[quote author=Ttosyn12 post=86062237]My interview is next month... Please, is it possible to change my
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by AAESO: 8:41am On Jan 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
Next month is not far, you may reapply for a new one, I don't think they do change the purpose of traveling that easily. BTW if giving birth there is the reason, as long as your spouse or you are a US citizen or permanent resident don't worry that much

Oga where are u getting this info from ? Abeg calm down. No child born on US soil will be denied his or her citizenship regardless of the parents status,that's what the constitution says.the problem now is entering the US to have that baby so whether one partner is American or not it doesn't affect the child's right until the constitution is amended.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:43am On Jan 24, 2020
UhnNah:

You ladies should avoid revealing your next moves on public forums! I’ve seen a lady here from reuters news asking to interview people! If she knows about this forum! Be assured the ‘Feds’ are watching as well to know what next you guys are up to!
So true. Deleted!!!!

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by lami88: 8:43am On Jan 24, 2020
Ttosyn12:

Are you pregannt and intending to give birth there?. Whether you change the purpose or not, i doubt it will make any effect. The visa officers will be extra cautious for women now especially those applying for visiting Visa's.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:44am On Jan 24, 2020
Kemo88:

Even if they are not us citizens. Even if they are illegal immigrants as long as your child is born on US soil, the child becomes a citizen. Now it’s how to get on that “soil” that is the concern. I’m not worried about the visa. If you apply for other things before you get pregnant, you may get visa. But do we now lie at the POE?
There are other visa category that last at least a year, however the denial rate is the problem. You may apply for visit visa with your partner (six months is the visa duration and must be without child inside you) if you are granted the visa, you can extend it to six months(extension might be a little bit rough as you are to show reason for extension, you should be pregnant by this time) which total one year. However this would be a very expensive method as the living cost for a year in US is relatively high.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 8:46am On Jan 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
There are other visa category that last at least a year, however the denial rate is the problem. You may apply for visit visa with your partner (six months is the visa duration and must be without child inside you) if you are granted the visa, you can extend it to six months(extension might be a little bit rough as you are to show reason for extension, you should be pregnant by this time) which total one year. However this would be a very expensive method as the living cost for a year in US is relatively high.

You are right. It’s better to just stay away and do the right thing. Thanks
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by lami88: 8:47am On Jan 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
If you or your spouse is a US citizen or permanent resident you can give birth in US soil and that's fine.

She said her visa expired, you are asking again if she is a us citizen or PR. If she were, would she need a visa in thw first place?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:49am On Jan 24, 2020
AAESO:

Oga where are u getting this info from ? Abeg calm down. No child born on US soil will be denied his or her citizenship regardless of the parents status,that's what the constitution says.the problem now is entering the US to have that baby so whether one partner is American or not it doesn't affect the child's right until the constitution is amended.
Please read it carefully, I didn't mention anything like children born in US soil would be denied citizenship
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by lami88: 8:51am On Jan 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:

Haha. Why would anyone go and sit down in thw US for one year? When you are not working there?.
You people should not complicate this things jare and cause more problems for others. Everyone will start applying for extension now till they decide to cancel it even for those with genuine reasons. For everything that has a beginning , there is an end. Lets face the reality of the situation on ground.
Try other countries that welcome birth tourism. Someone here mentioned chile. Chile citizens have access to enter 170 countries visa free. ( I'm quoting what was said here ni o)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:53am On Jan 24, 2020
lami88:

She said her visa expired, you are asking again if she is a us citizen or PR. If she were, would she need a visa in thw first place?
right
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by ANIT1: 8:59am On Jan 24, 2020
Kemo88:

They are not allowed to do that. According to New York Times. Lol

Not so true.. I know of someone who a pregnancy test was conducted on 3 years back and was sent back at the POE. Thou she lied she wasn’t pregnant sha
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 9:01am On Jan 24, 2020
lami88:

Haha. Why would anyone go and sit down in thw US for one year? When you are not working there?.
You people should not complicate this things jare and cause more problems for others. Everyone will start applying for extension now till they decide to cancel it even for those with genuine reasons. For everything that has a beginning , there is an end. Lets face the reality of the situation on ground.
Try other countries that welcome birth tourism. Someone here mentioned chile. Chile citizens have access to enter 170 countries visa free. ( I'm quoting what was said here ni o)
Exactly, how about other US oversea territories do they have this giving birth issues and Visa hmm
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Sunshine1980: 9:02am On Jan 24, 2020
I can see people are still misrepresenting this issue. The issue is straight forward. People should read the actual policy document and not the false intepretations that are tailored to what ever intended purposes.

The B2 visa is generally used for tourism, pleasure and medical treatment. What the new policy says is that having a baby in the USA will no longer be classified as use of the Visa for pleasure purposes. Having baby in the USA will now be classified as use of visa for medical treatment and the consular officer will evaluate the applicant as required. You cannot just show up and say I wish to have my baby in the US as before. Now you need a strong medical reason for going to the US to have your baby and also evidence you can pay for the medical services. All these are with respect to your visa interview with consular officer and not the POE.

The rule also does not affect the POE CBP officers in any way. Please read excerpt from the federal register below for reference.

'SUMMARY: The Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs (“Department”), is
amending its regulation governing the issuance of visas in the “B” nonimmigrant
classification for temporary visitors for pleasure. This rule establishes that travel to the
United States with the primary purpose of obtaining U.S. citizenship for a child by giving
birth in the United States is an impermissible basis for the issuance of a B nonimmigrant
visa. Consequently, a consular officer shall deny a B nonimmigrant visa to an alien who
he or she has reason to believe intends to travel for this primary purpose. The Department
does not believe that visiting the United States for the primary purpose of obtaining U.S.
citizenship for a child, by giving birth in the United States – an activity commonly
referred to as “birth tourism”–is a legitimate activity for pleasure or of a recreational
nature, for purposes of consular officers adjudicating applications for B nonimmigrant
visas. The final rule addresses concerns about the attendant risks of this activity to
national security and law enforcement, including criminal activity associated with the
birth tourism industry, as reflected in federal prosecutions of individuals and entities
involved in that industry. The final rule also codifies a requirement that B nonimmigrant
visa applicants who seek medical treatment in the United States must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the consular officer, their arrangements for such treatment and establish
their ability to pay all costs associated with such treatment. The rule establishes a
rebuttable presumption that a B nonimmigrant visa applicant who a consular officer has
reason to believe will give birth during her stay in the United States is traveling for the
primary purpose of obtaining U.S. citizenship for the child.
DATES: This rule is effective on [insert date of publication in Federal Register].
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Megan Herndon, Deputy Director for
Legal Affairs, Office of Visa Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State,
600 19th St. NW, Washington, DC 20006, (202) 485-7586.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:
I. What changes to 22 CFR 41.31 does this rule make?
This rule makes certain changes to the Department’s regulation on B
nonimmigrant visas, but does not change Department of Homeland Security regulations
regarding the admissibility of aliens, including Visa Waiver Program travelers, or
otherwise modify the standards enforced by officials of the Department of Homeland
Security.
The Department is revising the definition of “pleasure” and subdividing 22
CFR 41.31(b)(2) into three paragraph levels. The Department is retaining its existing,
and longstanding, general rule that pleasure, as referred to in Immigration and Nationality
Act (INA) section 101(a)(15)(B), 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(B), for purposes of visa issuance,
refers to legitimate activities of a recreational character, including tourism, amusement,
visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social,
or services nature. The Department is also adding a provision that provides, for purposes
of visa issuance, that the term pleasure, as used in INA 101(a)(15)(B), 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(B), does not include travel for the primary purpose of obtaining United States citizenship for a child by giving birth in the United States. The Department is renumbering this provision as paragraph (i).

The Department is adding a provision that provides that a nonimmigrant B visa
applicant seeking medical treatment in the United States shall be denied a visa under INA
section 214(b), 8 U.S.C. 1184, if unable to establish, to the satisfaction of a consular
officer, a legitimate reason why he or she wishes to travel to the United States for
medical treatment, and that a medical practitioner or facility in the United States has
agreed to provide treatment. Additionally, the applicant must provide the projected
duration and cost of treatment and any incidental expenses. The applicant must also
establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he or she has the means and intent
to pay for the medical treatment and all incidental expenses, including transportation and
living expenses, either independently or with the pre-arranged assistance of others. If an
applicant’s responses to this line of questions are not credible, that may give consular
officers reason to question whether the applicant qualifies for a visa in the B
nonimmigrant classification, and could lead to additional questions as to whether the
applicant intends to timely depart the United States, or intends to engage in other
impermissible activity. The Department is renumbering this provision as paragraph (ii).
'

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Kemo88: 9:22am On Jan 24, 2020
Sunshine1980:
I can see people are still misrepresenting this issue. The issue is straight forward. People should read the actual policy document and not the false intepretations that are tailored to what ever intended purposes.

The B2 visa is generally used for tourism, pleasure and medical treatment. What the new policy says is that having a baby in the USA will no longer be classified as use of the Visa for pleasure purposes. Having baby in the USA will now be classified as use of visa for medical treatment and the consular officer will evaluate the applicant as required. You cannot just show up and say I wish to have my baby in the US as before. Now you need a strong medical reason for going to the US to have your baby and also evidence you can pay for the medical services. All these are with respect to your visa interview with consular officer and not the POE.

The rule also does not affect the POE CBP officers in any way. Please read excerpt from the federal register below for reference.

'SUMMARY: The Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs (“Department”), is
classification for temporary visitors for pleasure. This rule establishes that travel to the
United States with the primary purpose of obtaining U.S. citizenship for a child by giving
birth in the United States is an impermissible basis for the issuance of a B nonimmigrant
visa. Consequently, a consular officer shall deny a B nonimmigrant visa to an alien who
he or she has reason to believe intends to travel for this primary purpose. The Department
does not believe that visiting the United States for the primary purpose of obtaining U.S.
citizenship for a child, by giving birth in the United States – an activity commonly
referred to as “birth tourism”–is a legitimate activity for pleasure or of a recreational
nature, for purposes of consular officers adjudicating applications for B nonimmigrant
visas. The final rule addresses concerns about the attendant risks of this activity to
national security and law enforcement, including criminal activity associated with the
birth tourism industry, as reflected in federal prosecutions of individuals and entities
involved in that industry. The final rule also codifies a requirement that B nonimmigrant
visa applicants who seek medical treatment in the United States must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the consular officer, their arrangements for such treatment and establish
their ability to pay all costs associated with such treatment. The rule establishes a
rebuttable presumption that a B nonimmigrant visa applicant who a consular officer has
reason to believe will give birth during her stay in the United States is traveling for the
DATES: This rule is effective on [insert date of publication in Federal Register].
Legal Affairs, Office of Visa Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State,

nonimmigrant visas, but does not change Department of Homeland Security regulations
regarding the admissibility of aliens, including Visa Waiver Program travelers, or
otherwise modify the standards enforced by officials of the Department of Homeland
Security. The Department is revising the definition of “pleasure” and subdividing 22
CFR 41.31(b)(2) into three paragraph levels. The Department is retaining its existing,
and longstanding, general rule that pleasure, as referred to in Immigration and Nationality
Act (INA) section 101(a)(15)(B), 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(B), for purposes of visa issuance,
refers to legitimate activities of a recreational character, including tourism, amusement,
visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, and activities of a fraternal, social,
or services nature. The Department is also adding a provision that provides, for purposes
of visa issuance, that the term pleasure, as used in INA 101(a)(15)(B), 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(15)(B), does not include travel for the primary purpose of obtaining United States citizenship for a child by giving birth in the United States. The Department is renumbering this provision as paragraph (i).

applicant seeking medical treatment in the United States shall be denied a visa under INA
section 214(b), 8 U.S.C. 1184, if unable to establish, to the satisfaction of a consular
officer, a legitimate reason why he or she wishes to travel to the United States for
medical treatment, and that a medical practitioner or facility in the United States has
agreed to provide treatment. Additionally, the applicant must provide the projected
duration and cost of treatment and any incidental expenses. The applicant must also
establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that he or she has the means and intent
to pay for the medical treatment and all incidental expenses, including transportation and
living expenses, either independently or with the pre-arranged assistance of others. If an
applicant’s responses to this line of questions are not credible, that may give consular
nonimmigrant classification, and could lead to additional questions as to whether the
applicant intends to timely depart the United States, or intends to engage in other
impermissible activity. The Department is renumbering this provision as paragraph (ii).
'
Yeah now the question is if I get a B1/B2 visa today and next year I get pregnant and go to the US, then at the POE I say , “ my purpose of entering the US is to birth” does the officer have the right to turn me back ? Since I didn’t get a the visa for birthing in the first place
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by Stephenmoka4(m): 9:33am On Jan 24, 2020
Kemo88:

Yeah now the question is if I get a B1/B2 visa today and next year I get pregnant and go to the US, then at the POE I say , “ my purpose of entering the US is to birth” does the officer have the right to turn me back ? Since I didn’t get a the visa for birthing in the first place
they have"the right" to turn you back, anyways if you have a visit Visa today, it should have expired by then.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by gingalady: 10:22am On Jan 24, 2020
Does this mean a pregnant woman with an existing B1/B2 Visa can still go through POE? Even though she is evidently showing?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by IamCookie(f): 10:39am On Jan 24, 2020
Semisolasola:
We don hear..the honest we preach will no longer suffice
People will be lying up and down now.. wink

Yes OOooo. They already knew what we are capable of doing so, they might request for medicals for females

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by NothingDoMe: 11:14am On Jan 24, 2020
lami88:

cheesy You guys are cracking me up. Are you after the number of countries your child can go visa free?

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by NothingDoMe: 11:17am On Jan 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
Exactly, how about other US oversea territories do they have this giving birth issues and Visa hmm
Yes.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by babestell(f): 11:26am On Jan 24, 2020
Does this mean that one can travel with an already granted B2 visa say in October to give birth. The visa was granted for birtha nd has been used already for one child

Sunshine1980:

Security.
The Department is revising the definition of “pleasure” and subdividing 22

'
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 by rozeybid: 12:34pm On Jan 24, 2020
Hello Everyone , Been so quiet lately as regards renewing visa but here is a bit of my story .

My husband applied for a J1 visa because he was chosen for the Obama Scholar Foundation program . (Note) He is well travelled and have been to US uncountable times and have never stayed for 1month , he couldn’t even come to childbirth.

The first visa application was denied - Because the VO claimed he took a discount durning our childbirth in the US . He tried explaining to the VO that we paid cash and we were generally given a discount for self pay but he was denied .

We contacted the hospital - OAKBEND HOSPITAL ... They said we can’t get any other letter except the zero balance letter we have been given before bla bla bla ...

The second time , the VO didn’t give him enough time for explanation. DENIED. But advise him to get an Immigration lawyer to sort out the issue.

Fast forward, we got an immigration lawyer in the US and paid 2000usd , he was able to iron out lot of things legally and we were told to contact the hospital to ask for the full bill before discount .

My husband contacted OAKBEND and they claim they can’t take any money etc , He reported OAKBEND hospital to TEXAS HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION . Lol and behold , OAKBEND sent us a mail that we need to pay 10,000usd to complete with what was paid before in order to get a new itemized bill without discount .

We paid this money and got the new itemized bill and a letter from Oakbend . My husband went for the THIRD visa application and the VO denied him again without any reason.

He wrote a mail to the US consular general and US Ambassador in Nigeria . He sent lot of Letters through DHL .

The consular general contacted him to go for his interview and he was given VISA (J1)

Back to my story - I applied to renew my visa tht expires August 2019 ... In a view to visit my husband who has been away since September for Xmas but was DENIED . The VO didn’t give me enough time to show all my document .

I booked another - The VO asked if I have new document but told him the previous VO didn’t have enough time to check my document to see I paid my bills in full . He said I will go thro the administrative process ... Alias , I got my passport back Jan and denied again.

Now , with the new development with the US government, I see the reason for the denial .
We already wrote a letter to the new Consular general but I am done applying for US visa .

PPR in progress .......

Sorry for my long story .

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (452) (Reply)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.