Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians (61952 Views)

More Reactions From Nigerians As Buhari Says "Edo Central" While He's In Ondo / Reactions From Nigerians As NLC Calls Off Strike / Patience Jonathan's Christmas Dress Compared To A Fowl (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by jrusky(m): 2:17pm On Dec 25, 2017
God bless you Gej we never knew your worth till we lost you to this evil people I power from witchcraft kingdom.

Gej despite your little shortfall you are better than this long thing doing foolish documentary called Buhari and to those who hate you leave them they are all suffering it today.

I respect you and will always do.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by udemzyudex(m): 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

True.

Anyone who lived or heard of the 'oil boom era' of 1973-82, and how things fell apart after the crash of 1982...could have seen this coming.

This is what happens for any economy based on just one source of revenue.

If GEJ had won, things won't have gotten better...neither would Buhari have improved things if he appointed his ministers as soon as he took office.

My annoyance with the PMB govt though is that they did not tell Nigerians that we have to get off our overt reliance on oil...and that getting there involves some hard choices. Instead, they are waiting for oil to go above 100 USD...hopefully the 120 needed

GEJ was diversifying the economy with Agriculture, we could all see the impact but what has Buhari done so far on Agriculture?

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by deomelo: 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2017
ABIOLAXYZ:
GEJ the moses of our time

Don't you mean the greatest looter of our time?

Good riddance to that crooked, corrupt and incompetent loser, glad Nigerians kicked him back to his village.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 25, 2017
deji68:
Well, the price of oil was never 100-140/barrel throughout GEJ tenure ..... cool cool

1998 $11.91 $17.26
1999 $16.56 $23.42
2000 $27.39 $37.54
2001 $23.00 $30.68
2002 $22.81 $29.92
2003 $27.69 $35.55
2004 $37.66 $47.04
2005 $50.04 $60.44
2006 $58.30 $68.27
2007 $64.20 $72.98
2008 $91.48 $100.00
2009 $53.48 $58.75
2010 $71.21 $77.10
2011 $87.04 $91.37
2012 $86.46 $88.93
2013 $91.17 $92.40
2014 $85.60 $85.34

Read this, then come back.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_oil_market_chronology_from_2003

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
musa234:
just shut up! Always justifying incompetency

Good afternoon to you.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Lame12: 2:20pm On Dec 25, 2017
Agreed Nigeria and Nigerians are passing through difficult time in our nationhood but let us recap back little while Bombs was everywhere, corruption was order of the day, bad road network, poor management of our Commonwealth. Let us endure better days are ahead us.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 25, 2017
bilulu:

during GEJ times oil came to down to fifty something.... oil started falling since 2014 so don't give us excuse jor

Oil in GEJ times was between 94-120 from 2009-14.

It did come down to $58, at the tail end of his regime.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by 1nigeriamyfoot: 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2017
dominique:
Though I'm not thrilled with this administration but there is no indication that the economy wouldn't have plunged into recession if GEJ had retained power. Naira was already nosediving against dollar, prices of items were already skyrocketing in the weeks before he handed over. I don't see how he would have magically restored the economy if he had been voted in. He was only lucky he left before things got out of hand. Even Emir Sanusi predicted the recession
and you believe the bullshit coming out from Sanusi mouth forgetting the fact that Sanusi is not in good terms with GEJ back then. Its not a hidden fact that there's corruption during GEJ era but what we witnessed back then was child's play compared to what's going on right now. Bubu said that there's nothing like subsidy again after they increased pump price to 145naira but as of yesterday we were made to know that there 26naira subsidy on each litre of PMS. Despite the allegation levelled against Baru, he was neither suspended nor questioned. Efcc boss case is there, Babachir lawal was suspended but walking a free man, etc.
Bubu administration lacked integrity and know how to have perfect economy and that's what plunged Nigeria into recession.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 25, 2017
tuniski:

Warped! If under buhari, the barrel sells for 200$ the suffering in the land will be times 3 what we are having right now. Buhari is a curse! He doesn't know how to share prosperity. he is essentially a sadist!

No, it means we have more dollars to buffer the naira, import stuff, and prices will fall.

It isn't what I want tho.Strong nations don't stay on oil.

We are not a rich nation. Rich nations are China... Who went from being behind Sierra Leone in GDP in 1973 to being a top ten nation in GDP via industry.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by mikolo80: 2:26pm On Dec 25, 2017
FILEBE:
This too shall pass. Some people are just unfortunate to be in the wrong(right) place at the wrong time. I don't like Buhari's attitude towards fulani killings. He has not come out to caution his brothers. Every now and then, i hear these Hausas say they are children of Buhari and nothing can be done with them. A fight broke out between a Niger water seller and an Hausa water seller. You need to come see this fight. I swear this people get mind for fight . They were lifting each other up, one turned his back explaining cause of the fight when the other hit him with a strong stick on his neck. He used the edge. I was shocked.
All i hear the Niger guy saying was it won't be better for Buhari and blah blah blah. This aggravated the Hausa more. His fellow Hausas stopped by and were trying to shush the Niger guy for insulting Buhari. Mind you, Insulting Buhari wasn't the cause of the the fight but i am sure the Hausa guy must have said, "nothing will happen to me, i be Buhari pickin".

Apc and pdp have nothing good to offer Nigerians. Come 2019, let us surprise these people and vote neither of their candidates. They are not the only one contesting! Yes. Our votes count. Accord party won a constituent in LAGOS, so did pdp. Who would have thought that? 2019, we have the power against these one percenters.
what has the accord candidate achieved?
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by nely(m): 2:26pm On Dec 25, 2017
Iseoluwani:

I send you?
If you no send me oh, people plenty wey send me on, am not alone
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Doyin2(m): 2:27pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:
There is a simple explanation, and no i am not defending the govt.

1.During GEJ'S govt, the oil price was $94-120. That meant we had enough dollars to buffer the naira...and as a result the value of the naira was stronger..meaning we needed fewer naira to import rice.

2.Now, during Old Man Bubu's govt, the price of oil has fallen to $28-65. This means we have less dollars to buffer the naira, and the value falls.Meaning we need more naira to import the rice.

3.If oil jumps up to $100 again, rice prices will fall...see1 .

4.What does this mean?

a)INCREASE DOMESTIC RICE PRODUCTION...via mechanised farming and irrigation

b)Get other sources of dollars...ie industrialization., industrialization.

Fin.

Thankyou.Many Nigerians are so gullible to political theatrics.

How do you expect price of rice not to be higher when the dollar revenue shrank due to oil price crash?

And by the way,these are temporary times.How much will rice be when PMB leaves in 2023?

Present comparison is baseless and stupid.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by mikolo80: 2:28pm On Dec 25, 2017
folahann:
Somebody tell the ineffectual Buffon that we once bought bag of rice for 2,500 and petrol for 40 Naira. Ask him how much he met in our excess crude account and how much he left there.
I taya for human beings o. We need seriously patriotic politicians or businessmen to move this country forward. In fact we need serious industrialists.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by phemywise: 2:28pm On Dec 25, 2017
You are mad
GoroTango:
GEJ is one of the reasons we find ourselves in such a mess as this. When Buhari took over the kind of rot he met on ground will be enough to unnerve even the most committed of presidents. Buhari is doing his best and I support him

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by phineas: 2:29pm On Dec 25, 2017
Also to add that when oil was around 25 dollars in January 2017.The boys of the delta made sure we were producing at 50% capacity.that means our proceeds from oil was as good as 10dollars plus per barrel.Add that to the stolen excess crude account and drained foreign reserve under supervision of you know who and you can explain dollar to nairn prices.

Rice is also expensive because we are boosting local production.To ensure our local farmers and the country achieve self sufficiency in rice you tax foreign importation heavily.The problem is supply of local rice is yet to meet demand.But eventually we will a have equilibrium in rice demand and supply ,be self sustaining in rice and keep our precious money in country

I hope you all know that China was able to move a lot on individuals from low class to middle income level on Rice production only

Nigeria n's are smiling to the bank on Rice.Next year will be better,Rice mills are been established all over subsidised by Government. Better ask your Governors to cash in for your youths sake.But to reverse this trend,that will not happen,wailers will do well to get on board
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 25, 2017
arrestdarrester:

Tell that to the marines!

With the relatively low price of oil why is the price of petrol in an oil exporting country still beyond reach after 2 years of the advent of a political party that told us that subsidy was a scam? And to think that we believed them. So what is going on now? Are we still being scammed? Is it Yahoo now, 419 or what?

Fuel? Over N240 per litre? On Christmas day? Is this a bad dream?

1.Because we don't have the high crude oil prices of 4 years ago, we have less dollars.

As a result we need more naira to buy dollars.

2.We also don't have enough dollars to pay for an increase in the subsidy, now at 26 per liter.

3.Hence the increase in prices.

4.Deregulation, if it had been implemented as planned in 2012, would have solved these problems, and provided investment for more refineries. But Nigerians could not see the benefit beyond price increases.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by jrusky(m): 2:30pm On Dec 25, 2017
deomelo:

Don't you mean the greatest looter of our time?

Good riddance to that crooked, corrupt and incompetent loser, glad Nigerians kicked him back to his village.

You are likely suffering from dementia same as your Buhari is right now. Stop fighting back foolishly it makes you look more stupid.

Please who are the looters just mention 7 confirmed one and proof it? Hahaha I know you will say madueke to your foolishness why did apc silly govt refused to let her comes back to defend herself or is that how British or America allow their citizen to be charge outside their country? Your illiterate EFCC boss said MADUEKE stole 90billion dollars and all our reserve still at less than 40 billion dollar till date pls reconcile that stupid calculation

Oh sorry Olisa Metuh or Dasuki right? ok pls add all their loots together and minus it from 20billion dollar NNPC contract scam that ended up in handshake in Aso rock few weeks back pls reconcile it Mr big mouth and tell me who is more corrupt

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by nely(m): 2:31pm On Dec 25, 2017
Tugsramm:
on behalf of u nd ur family
Oga abeg ur family name na Nigerians, why e de pain you
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by zakari247(m): 2:31pm On Dec 25, 2017
Goodness4525:
Neither of them is worth LGA chairmen in the first place with what they can offer all our leaders are blindfolded with the greed of continuity in power unlike Nelson Mandela
you are only ashamed of admitting that he is one of Nigerian finest of leader not even your lord whom u brought to power for change can't beat it.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2017
Doyin2:

Thankyou.Many Nigerians are so gullible to political theatrics.

How do you expect price of rice not to be higher when the dollar revenue shrank due to oil price crash?

And by the way,these are temporary times.How much will rice be when PMB leaves in 2013?

Present comparison is baseless and stupid.

Thank you.

Though, we do need to increase domestic rice production, and we need more sources of a income/dollars.

And no,these aren't temporary times...oil is not going to rise above $70, and we really should get away from it.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by banre(m): 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2017
GEJ...the best leader 9ja has ever had. merry Christmas sir. PMB on the other hand is such a failure. 2018 must better.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by flyinghorse123: 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2017
Goodness4525:
Neither of them is worth LGA chairmen in the first place with what they can offer all our leaders are blindfolded with the greed of continuity in power unlike Nelson Mandela
Bro u have spoken well I don't know why some people are just clueless every regime in this country has got nothing to offer things must always go up. These politicians are birds of the same feather they care less about ordinary citizens. I don't trust and believe any goddamn politician! Make God help us to create our own dynasty for good. They don't care about us at all! Every regime is corrupt heartless and cruel! I wonder how some people would be fighting and cursing each other for these heartless corrupt pretenders called politicians! I don't trust any of them until they'll proof me wrong! Even buying of fuel @ #40 highest should be the fuel pump price, good economy an average Nigerian has never been comfortable in this countty! All these people don't care stop praising or fighting for them! They are all the same! The rich and powerful doesn't give a hoot about people not in their circle!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by zakari247(m): 2:38pm On Dec 25, 2017
may God judge all those that campaigned for buhari. may their children generation be more sensible their father's
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by highwaist: 2:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
Crude oil was 125dollAr par barel but now 55 dollar'thank you pmb

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Jeswino: 2:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
FILEBE:
This too shall pass. Some people are just unfortunate to be in the wrong(right) place at the wrong time. I don't like Buhari's attitude towards fulani killings.
Buhari is the grand patron of Miyetti Allah.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by phineas: 2:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

Oil in GEJ times was between 94-120 from 2009-14.

It did come down to $58, at the tail end of his regime.

In the middle eastern countries,1 country built 4 futuristic cities with their windfall.(Imagine building the equivalent of 4 cities far greater that Abuja with their windfall)

In Nigeria what did we do, we declared there was a rainy day and couldn't pay salaries during the Jonathan regime and drained the excess crude account by about 80-90%.The countries foreign reserve was also drained by about 50%.(the exact percentages are still been argued but we should have had a full stash not drained bank accouts)

How does that explain this man's place in history.

I respect all leaders.Leading Nigeria is not easy.He had his strengths but the economy was not it.The General has done way better and is doing way better with the economy

Next year will be better and Nigeria n's had better thank God and his economic team for it.

Last word-my advice to you all is to go an pay your taxes
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by deomelo: 2:40pm On Dec 25, 2017
[s]
jrusky:

You are likely suffering from dementia same as your Buhari is right now. Stop fighting back foolishly it makes you look more stupid.

Please who are the looters just mention 7 confirmed one and proof it? Hahaha I know you will say madueke to your foolishness why did apc silly govt refused to let her comes back to defend herself or is that how British or America allow their citizen to be charge outside their country? Your illiterate EFCC boss said MADUEKE stole 90billion dollars and all our reserve still at less than 40 billion dollar till date pls reconcile that stupid calculation

Oh sorry Olisa Metuh or Dasuki right? ok pls add all their loots together and minus it from 20billion dollar NNPC contract scam that ended up in handshake in Aso rock few weeks back pls reconcile it Mr big mouth and tell me who is more corrupt
[/s]

Jona your uncle was borrowing hundreds of billions to pay workers salary in 2014 when oil was selling for almost $100/barrel. Oh, you are one of the jokers with the ignorant mentality that economic hardship manifested after may 2015 right?

His admin generated the largest oil income in the history of Nigeria and he still left us in darkness with corruption, looting and stealing at every level of government.

Can you even list any achievement of his or the projects he initiated and commissioned with all that money?

Not interested in your ipobic rant, take it elsewhere or confine it to your fellow Igbos.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by tuniski: 2:40pm On Dec 25, 2017
9jakohai:

No, it means we have more dollars to buffer the naira, import stuff, and prices will fall.

It isn't what I want tho.Strong nations don't stay on oil.

We are not a rich nation. Rich nations are China... Who went from being behind Sierra Leone in GDP in 1973 to being a top ten nation in GDP via industry.
I noo get energy for this uncalled for line of logic of yours. Buhaari is too poor to handle even America that owns the dollar without taking the to recession. Wake up abeg.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by LordAdam16: 2:42pm On Dec 25, 2017
dominique:
Though I'm not thrilled with this administration but there is no indication that the economy wouldn't have plunged into recession if GEJ has retained power. Naira was already nosediving against dollar, prices of items were already skyrocketing in the weeks before he handed over. I don't see how he would have magically restored the economy if he had been voted in. He was only lucky he left before things got out of hand. Even Emir Sanusi predicted the recession

There are lots of indication that the economy wouldn't have plunged into recession if GEJ retained power.

1. There would have been no NDA crisis, singlehandedly caused by the stupidity of Buhari.
2. The country would not have run on autopilot for 6 months, when Buhari was selecting his angels.
3. It wouldn't have taken NOI 20 months to compile an economic plan.

Those are the major three and there's more.

The naira nosedived in 2008/2009 during the Global Recession+Oil Slump. We didn't enter a recession. The prices of foodstuff was tied to the naira nosediving and marketers hoarding gasoline because they were unsure of payments since subsidy was a contentious issue leading up to the election.

Sanusi in the tail-end of his tenure CBN governor was a rabble-rouser, doomsday predictor, and political saboteur. First off, no $20b was missing. He reviewed it downwards to $5b or $2b, he was even unsure of the exact amount. Even then, it's been 2+ years since he left, why has Buhari and Magu not found the phantom "missing $5b"? Or did it just disappear out of the world's financial system?

You'd think smart people can at least do independent research or reason critically.

For every $1, this government has added to the reserves, $1.2+ has been borrowed. Yet, no projects are being commissioned. Less than 20% of the 2017 budget has been implemented and we're in December (same story for the 2016 budget).

Later in 2019, he'd use a high reserve balance to do campaign while 11m people have been unemployed under his stead in the last 24 months. And I expect lots of you to shower him with praise.

You were one of those who danced against subsidy removal in 2012. Then went back to your vomits to support its removal in 2016. Barely a year later, subsidy has ballooned to N40 per liter, and you're itching to quote stats blindly as an arm-chair quasi-economist about a government that is better than the current one in virtually all indices.

I'm sure in February next year when Nigeria will officially be declared as the country with the most people under poverty (overtaking India with a population five times larger than ours), you'd also find a way to prove it'd have still being the case if GEJ was the president.

I think you should be thrilled by this administration. It is exactly what you wanted. Since you seem to have excuses for every failure.

Nonsense! And to think you're a mod.

Buhari would probably win in 2019 not because he performed well, but because there are a lot of people with egos the size of Jupiter who continue to rationalize their mistake in 2015. You are one of these people. And let's not forget the ones in whose eyes Buhari can do no wrong.

-Lord

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by LordAdam16: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2017
phineas:

In the middle eastern countries,1 country built 4 futuristic cities with their windfall.(Imagine building the equivalent of 4 cities far greater that Abuja with their windfall)

In Nigeria what did we do, we declared there was a rainy day and couldn't pay salaries during the Jonathan regime and drained the excess crude account by about 80-90%.The countries foreign reserve was also drained by about 50%.(the exact percentages are still been argued but we should have had a full stash not drained bank accouts)

How does that explain this man's place in history.

I respect all leaders.Leading Nigeria is not easy.He had his strengths but the economy was not it.The General has done way better and is doing way better with the economy

Next year will be better and Nigeria n's had better thank God and his economic team for it.

Last word-my advice to you all is to go an pay your taxes

Oga, how much subsidy did GEJ pay in his five years?

Find out and check whether what you typed makes sense.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by wxyz1: 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2017
Reference:
Though reminiscence is a potent tool for political pressure on a sitting government but in this case it is becoming a bit too much. If we castigate the government for blaming all the present ills on the past administration then we ought to shrink that battle ground by moderating the comparisons with the past also when it comes to better times. Even the bible tacitly warns against living in the past as unwise. So can we move on on both sides of the argument and debate solutions to the present predicament instead.
I don't understand you o.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Christmas Message And Reactions From Nigerians by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 25, 2017
folahann:
Somebody tell the ineffectual Buffon that we once bought bag of rice for 2,500 and petrol for 40 Naira. Ask him how much he met in our excess crude account and how much he left there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lagos Local Government Election 2017 Results (Live Updates) / Sex-starved Women Take To The Streets In Rivers / President Buhari With Students Of Samuel Ogbemudia College, Benin City (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.