Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,782 members, 7,827,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? (952 Views)

Nigeria Is A Poor Country / Poor Country People Mentality Vs Developed Country People Mentality / Nigeria Is Not A Poor Country, We Are Not Offering More Financial Support - EU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 6:18pm On Dec 26, 2017
Nigeria , a country lying west on the Africa continent,often referred to as the "Giant of Africa" , bordering Benin in the west, Chad and Cameroon in the east, and Niger in the north. Its coast in the south lies on the Gulf of Guinea in the Atlantic Ocean . It comprises 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory , where the capital , Abuja is located.

The country dance around the epileptic euphoria of being an oil-rich country, it imperative to note that this behemoth is a poverty stricken country.

While the country’s 2017 budget is at NGN7.44t ($25b) that is less than what the youngest department in United cabinet is allocated annually for a country of about 200 million citizens (193,392,500) this show Nigeria is poor.The budget per capita is 40k roughly $100.That is what the government intends to spend on each Nigerian in the year, this is with endemic poverty and other problem we face like unemployment, gross infrastructural deficit and low manufacturing capacity.

Comparatively, Indonesia has a population of 261 Million and annual budget of $158b(2017).

Check this out

Nigeria - $23 billion(8.6 trillion)
South Africa - $116 billion
Angola - $124 billion
Algeria - $53 billion
Egypt - $40 billion

the above data is the annual budget of the coming year,even if the we sum the top three of the budget that is 116+124+53 (303) billion dollars the sum of the countries population - 41+57+30 (128) million is still far less than that of country Nigeria.

The point is even if we have a credible government that care so much for it citizens, one that will not allocate 125B naira for some old men who parade themselves as 'lawmakers' and allocate 60B naira for the most valuable asset the country can give to it 'leaders of tomorrow' in the 36 state of the country , basically we still remain poor with that kind of budget. Now the Questions is :

are taxpayers not paying?

how are we even surviving with the numbers of population
considering the budget of the State of California in the United State alone for 2017 is at $179b with population less than 35 million?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 26, 2017
OP, u're very wrong........annual budgets are not converted to $$$. As a matter of fact, no African country has up to $20b annual budget. Get proper education before littering the cyber space with ur ignorance.
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 7:46pm On Dec 26, 2017
shervydman:
OP, u're very wrong........annual budgets are not converted to $$$. As a matter of fact, no African country has up to $20b annual budget. Get proper education before littering the cyber space with ur ignorance.
what your highest education qualifications before I answer u?
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
shegzhkn:

what your highest education qualifications before I answer u?
Does that matter?.....u post trash n I correct u, c'est fini.
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 8:17pm On Dec 26, 2017
shervydman:
Does that matter?.....u post trash n I correct u, c'est fini.
there is nothing trashy there huh ? just broaden your horizons c'est fini
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by oooduancalmdown: 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2017
Angola budget is bigger than Nigeria's?
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
shegzhkn:

there is nothing trashy there huh ? just broaden your horizons c'est fini
Listen, budgets are not budgeted n $$$ and can't be converted to $$$ either. If u want to do comparison of budgets between two countries, u check the % of the budget to each countries GDP.

Let's compare Nigeria's 2017 budget with S.As 2017 budget.
Nigeria's budget(2017)......-2.1% of $405b
https://tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/indicators

South Africa(2017).......-3.9% of $295b.
https://tradingeconomics.com/south-africa/indicators

*note*..... that's even a recessed Nigerian economy, now go back to school n demand ur wasted sch fees.
oooduancalmdown:
Angola budget is bigger than Nigeria's?
Impossible !!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2017
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 9:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
shervydman:

Listen, budgets are not budgeted n $$$ and can't be converted to $$$ either. If u want to do comparison of budgets between two countries, u check the % of the budget to each countries GDP.

Let's compare Nigeria's 2017 budget with S.As 2017 budget.
Nigeria's budget(2017)......-2.1% of $405b
https://tradingeconomics.com/nigeria/indicators

South Africa(2017).......-3.9% of $295b.
https://tradingeconomics.com/south-africa/indicators

*note*..... that's even a recessed Nigerian economy, now go back to school n demand ur wasted sch fees.

Impossible !!

poor little kid suffering from Dunning-Kruger Effect. I did ask you a question earlier,well it has a purpose because I knew this kind of thing was imminent.

now go and read about GDP and A Country annual budget
huh..God bless
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by omololu2020(m): 10:12pm On Dec 26, 2017
shervydman:
you are dumb
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by omololu2020(m): 10:13pm On Dec 26, 2017
shegzhkn:

poor little kid suffering from Dunning-Kruger Effect. I did ask you a question earlier,well it has a purpose because I knew this kind of thing was imminent.

now go and read about GDP and A Country annual budget
huh..God bless
you better stop quoting that mumu
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 10:27pm On Dec 26, 2017
omololu2020:
you better stop quoting that mumu
seriously, your own view?
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by Toosure70: 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2017
@ op, please leave those unreasonable kids alone
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by dokunbam(m): 10:44pm On Dec 26, 2017
This what I keep telling people

Compared to our population
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by bkool7(m): 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2017
Now I know that we are really earning far more than our poli-thiefians are claiming we are earn.
We well more crude than Angola, so why should they be budgeting more than us?

Moreover, Some states in Nigeria are just lazying around and feeding off the resourceful ones.
Without structural , resource and systemic restructuring of our system of govt- we ain't going no where.

Angola is roughly 26m population and we are amost 180m.

We need creative and innovative leaders not people who are only concern abt the next election.

I don't even want to know whether Angola is meeting that budget targets or not. But the fact that they dared it....
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
dokunbam:
the situation is pathetic.
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by shegzhkn: 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2017
dokunbam:
the situation is pathetic.
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by bkool7(m): 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2017
dokunbam:

Is our popullation not supposed to be an edge for us?
What about China and India?
The most important resources is human resources
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by slimfit1(m): 11:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
Yeah mentally poor resourcefully rich.
Re: Nigeria Is A Very Poor Country, Isn't It ? by AbelDjassi: 10:57am On Dec 27, 2017
shegzhkn:

Comparatively, Indonesia has a population of 261 Million and annual budget of $158b(2017).

Check this out

Nigeria - $23 billion(8.6 trillion)
South Africa - $116 billion
Angola - $124 billion
Algeria - $53 billion
Egypt - $40 billion

the above data is the annual budget of the coming year,even if the we sum the top three of the budget that is 116+124+53 (303) billion dollars the sum of the countries population - 41+57+30 (128) million is still far less than that of country Nigeria.

The point is even if we have a credible government that care so much for it citizens, one that will not allocate 125B naira for some old men who parade themselves as 'lawmakers' and allocate 60B naira for the most valuable asset the country can give to it 'leaders of tomorrow' in the 36 state of the country , basically we still remain poor with that kind of budget. Now the Questions is :

are taxpayers not paying?

how are we even surviving with the numbers of population
considering the budget of the State of California in the United State alone for 2017 is at $179b with population less than 35 million?

Brilliant thread! But you have provided just the kind of information the average Nigerian finds difficult to process.

How does one get it through to the likes of @shervydman, who clearly basks in his own ignorance, that Nigeria's stunted growth is real - despite the often touted claim about being "the giant of Africa".

shervydman:

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Secondus Appoints Amori Political Adviser / A Nigeria Senator Commissioning Electric Poles In Niger State / The Minister Of Defence Is Part Of The Conspiracy Against Benue - Gov. Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.