Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. (16979 Views)

US Army Engineers Corps To Construct A29 Air Base In Nigeria / Nigeria's Newly Acquired Tucano A-29s In Pictures / A Review Of The A29 Super Tucano Fighter Jets - Photos And Videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Xbee007(m): 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2017
The United States (US) Ambassador to Nigeria, Stuart Symington, today presented the Letters of Offer and Acceptance (LOA) in respect of the A29 Super Tucano Aircraft to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF). The LOA represents the official US Government offer to sell US defence articles and services to the Nigerian Government. Speaking while presenting the LOA to the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, at NAF Headquarters in Abuja, the US Ambassador noted that peaceful existence in Nigeria was strategic to the security of the entire West African Sub-Region in particular and the entire world at large. Accordingly, Ambassador Symington expressed the commitment of the US Government to helping Nigeria completely defeat the Boko Haram Terrorists and also eliminate all forms of terrorism from its territory. In addition, he conveyed the US Government’s belief that the capacity of the NAF could greatly be enhanced by the acquisition of the Super Tucano Aircraft. According to him, the US Government would therefore continue to support the NAF in its capacity building efforts, including the timely supply of needed aircraft spares. The US Ambassador also indicated the readiness of relevant US Government officials to work with NAF officials to facilitate the early delivery of the aircraft once payment had been made. In that regard, officials of both the US Government and the NAF would be meeting in early January 2018 to jointly study the LOA prior to subsequent endorsements by both parties.
The CAS, while receiving the LOA, expressed the appreciation to the US Government for its steady support towards sustaining NAF air operations. He also praised the personal commitment of the US Ambassador to ensuring that the Super Tucano Aircraft deal became a reality. Air Marshal Abubakar agreed with Ambassador Symington that the wellbeing of Nigeria was closely linked to those of other African countries, and indeed the entire world, as terrorism is a global phenomenon, which had to be confronted by all stakeholders. He then reassured the US Ambassador of the commitment of the NAF to the stipulated deadlines in the LOA. Furthermore, the CAS assured the US Ambassador that the NAF would ensure the readiness of proposed home base of the Super Tucano Aircraft in Nigeria before the aircraft’s delivery. He further said that the NAF would nominate and prepare all the pilots and maintenance crew to be trained on the Super Tucano Aircraft, ahead of their training in the US.
It is expected that the LOA would have been signed and necessary payments made before 20 February 2018 to ensure the commencement of production of the NAF’s Super Tucano Aircraft. It would be recalled that the US State Department had earlier approved the sale of 12 x A29 Super Tucano Aircraft to the NAF to further aid the nation’s counterinsurgency campaign.
OLATOKUNBO ADESANYA
Air Vice Marshal
Director of Public Relations and Information
Nigerian Air Force

Cc. Lalasticlala Mynd44

3 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Xbee007(m): 5:39pm On Dec 27, 2017
More
****edited****
Mind you A-29 Super Tucano is a Ground Attack and reconnaissance aircraft not Fighter Jet. To be called a jet you need a JET ENGINE. And the Tucano is propeller driven not jet at all.
To learn more about the deal visit the link below.
https://www.google.com.ng/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2017-08-28/pdf/2017-18191.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiK9IeXhazYAhWM7BQKHfEdBGUQFggfMAE&usg=AOvVaw2zg2OW4dhTEJtw4MdCJ0i7

11 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by nely(m): 5:40pm On Dec 27, 2017
Is this a good or bad news...anyway congrats
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Xbee007(m): 5:41pm On Dec 27, 2017
The Federal Register revealed Nigeria has requested Paveway II and Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) laser-guidance kits and ammunition. It lists these items as “major defence equipment” valued at $29 million, while the “other” component of the deal, for the Super Tucanos, sensors, training and support, is valued at $564 million, .

The weapons and ammunition includes 100 GBU-12 (500 lb) Paveway II Tailkits; 100 GBU-58 (250 lb) Paveway II Tailkits; 400 Laser Guided Rockets including Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) rounds; 2 000 MK-81 (250 lb) bombs; 5 000 2.75 inch (70 mm) Hydra 70 unguided rockets; 1 000 2.75 inch Hydra 70 unguided rockets (practice); and 20 000 rounds of .50 calibre machinegun ammunition.
The APKWS is a low cost semi-active laser guidance kit developed by BAE Systems which is added to unguided 70 mm rockets, turning them into precision strike weapons. Similarly, the Paveway II, developed by Raytheon and Lockheed Martin, uses semi-active laser guidance to turn Mk 81 and Mk 82 general purpose bombs into guided weapons. The DSCA said the sale includes the tailkits to transform Nigeria’s existing 500-lb and 250-lb bomb bodies into GBU-12s and GBU-58s respectively, and that Nigeria is also buying additional GBU-58s/Mk 81 bombs.

The proposed sale also includes seven AN/AAQ-22F electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) sensor and laser designator turrets, spares, support equipment, facilities infrastructure and hangar construction, night vision devices, simulators, and software. Training will cover pilot and maintenance instruction and human rights and international humanitarian law. FLIR’s Brite Star system comprises a large format thermal imager and colour daylight camera with laser designator for terminal guidance of laser-guided bombs and rockets.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Amein(m): 5:45pm On Dec 27, 2017
Some idiots are waiting for trump bomb Nigerian for voting against him.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by hatchy(f): 5:46pm On Dec 27, 2017
Wicket Trump will just sell scrap aircraft that will always misfire missiles target because Nigeria voted against the US in the UN last week.

Nigeria go hear am for this man hand.

4 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Xbee007(m): 6:09pm On Dec 27, 2017
Well Trump ain't a Dotard after all. Bless him, although he did it to create job for Americans, it will also help Nigerians in prosecuting the war against terrorists.
Plus it will help in patrolling our vast porous borders and waterways.
For y'all that are going to destructively criticize this deal, please spare few minutes of your time and Google about this Aircraft.

10 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by SpecialAdviser(m): 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2017
I know many illiterates will celebrate this and it is already happening. At a time that countries are making their own war equipment, we are still buying from everywhere.

How would any sane person celebrate that a country agreed to sell ammunition to you? Are they giving you for free? Is it not your money that you are spending to buy? Who wouldn't want to sell to build his economy? So you celebrate expenditure while your client laugh at you foolishness because he is making serious income. I won't be surprised that nations that sell ammunition, one way or the would provide backing to terrorism since it is equivalent to making sales. Slave is in the mentality.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by deomelllo: 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2017
Amein:
Some idiots are waiting for trump bomb Nigerian for voting against him.

hatchy:

Wicket Trump will just sell scrap aircraft that will always misfire missiles target because Nigeria voted against the US in the UN last week.

Nigeria go hear am for this man hand.

^^^^^^

Like this ipob..

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Ovamboland(m): 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
This deal alone is worth about $600 million meanwhile some people suffering from electoral loss syndrome (ELS) like Fayose said the $1Bn from ECA is for APC war chest towards 2019 election.

With the acceptance of sale of the Super Tucano by USA it is no longer speculation and we can verify the delivery of the planes

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2017
Biafra or Death Nigeria

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Ovamboland(m): 6:25pm On Dec 27, 2017
SpecialAdviser:
I know many illiterates will celebrate this and it is already happening. At a time that countries are making their own war equipment, we are still buying from everywhere.

How would any sane person celebrate that a country agreed to sell ammunition to you? Are they giving you for free? Is it not your money that you are spending to buy? Who wouldn't want to sell to build his economy? So you celebrate expenditure while your client laugh at you foolishness because he is making serious income. I won't be surprised that nations that sell ammunition, one way or the would provide backing to terrorism since it is equivalent to making sales. Slave is in the mentality.

We don't have the infrastructure in place to produce such advanced weapons systems in place. The insurgency can't wait for us to develop our own weapons before we start fighting.

that is not to say we should not increase investment in developing our own technology to meet our needs in agriculture,industry and surely defence

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 27, 2017
Air Commodore IA Yahaya. A combat pilot instructor with a difference, I sight you sir.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Adminisher: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2017
APKWS is the real insurgent / terrorist killer. Cheap, accurate and I am sure NAF is buying them for all aircraft including AW109 Power Chopper, A109 LUH Chopper, L-39 ZA and even AS352. APKWS is certified on all of them.

NAF pilots will soon become the world leaders in flying Super Tucanoes just like they are for Alpha Jets.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by UncleJudax(m): 6:46pm On Dec 27, 2017
Ovamboland:

We don't have the infrastructure in place to produce such advanced weapons systems in place. The insurgency can't wait for us to develop our own weapons before we start fighting.

that is not to say we should not increase investment in developing our own technology to meet our needs in agriculture,industry and surely defence
You are not developing anything.

5 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by SpecialAdviser(m): 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2017
Ovamboland:

You are right. We don't have it. But my point is that we don't need to celebrate it either.

2 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by brainpulse: 6:43am On Dec 28, 2017
Good job Buhari, we can see where the monies for security is going to and been used judiciously unlike PDP goatluck thieves that went to South Africa with cash to illegally buy equipment and ammunitions that we didnt see. Cursed boko harams, kanus pigs and idiots and their sympertizers will never like this.
I thought yeastern wailers of cursed generations said USA will not sell Weapons to Nigerians because of how army dealt with them in operation python dance and vote against Jerusalem, shame fall on them.
We are getting ready for operation python dance III in the yeast to fry them into potopoto

grin And somebody just whispered to my ears that it will be used also against kidnapping, armed robbery, baby factories/ smuggling and drug trafficking aka development.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by MrHistorian: 6:44am On Dec 28, 2017
undecided
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by BruncleZuma: 6:44am On Dec 28, 2017
And it will be used in straffing civilians ...my take.
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Promismike(m): 6:46am On Dec 28, 2017
When will we start building our own.

All this nation knows is to buy, buy and buy, even fuel we can produce at home we equally buy abroad.

For those saying we don't have the infrastructure to develop jets. When will we have then to develop sophisticated technological commodities? Hope you read that biafrans during the war developed their own armories just within a space of 2yrs.

This nation has no vision or priorities. It's just like a ship drifting in the ocean.

2 Likes

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by hezy4real01(m): 6:46am On Dec 28, 2017
Trust me some people are millionaires just with this project alone..... I don't think theirs service for humanity in Nigeria
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 28, 2017
Oga Ambassador be careful oo. These people have a reputational of dropping bombs on innocent people.
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by Write2018: 6:46am On Dec 28, 2017
No wonder we're still tagged developing country.
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by michoim(m): 6:47am On Dec 28, 2017
BH is in trouble
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by RealLordZeus(m): 6:48am On Dec 28, 2017
SpecialAdviser:

I'm usually amazed at the level of hypocrisy running our Nigerian blood.
You are sad at the news of importing fighter jet but you are happy using imported mobile phone. With your level of reasoning, I can deduce you are somehow well to do(I may be wrong tho) so you will have a lot of foreign house gadget with which you will be very proud of,
An average Nigerian always dream of using the most sophisticated tech without thinking of how to produce ordinary toothpick to contribute to the technological world. Since we are very religious, I will suggest we pray to God to loan us some techno induced angel to develop fighter for us abi. I can recollect well that these deal has been in negotiations with some time and when the US legislators voted against it some few years back, we all blasted the government for their social performance, now they show us they are improving, u still complained. My bro, please let this end in 2017....NOTE, I ve also stopped supporting the government, in fact I do criticize wella when given the opportunity but that doesn't mean I should support hypocrisy. Peace

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by davodguy: 6:49am On Dec 28, 2017
$1 billion already spent.
Heard the price of the 12nos A29 fighter jets are approximately $600 box.
If they now buy other things, $1billion dollars gone

SpecialAdviser:

Your kind of mumu is over advanced.

Countries bigger than Nigeria in terms of technology advancement and economy still buys weapons. Why can't Nigeria buy?
China
Australia
UAE
India
Turkey
Saudi Arabia
All import weapons

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by LionDeLeo: 6:49am On Dec 28, 2017
Someone up there is already wailing, fuming from both sides of his mouth, calling everybody illiterate because of this. According to him, buying of fighter jets is nothing to write home about since Buhari has not built a company that manufactures them within 2yrs.

These are the same things busy defending the ogogoro master on the arms procurement scam spearheaded by Dasuki. I really wonder if those arms were to be manufactured in the arms-manufacturing firm established by his PhD gej in 6yrs of "very productive and progressive" governance. angry

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by datola: 6:51am On Dec 28, 2017
Ok
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by ayd91(m): 6:51am On Dec 28, 2017
I like the transparency the Air force has adopted. In the past the cost of the transaction would have never been made public.
Kudos.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by slawomir: 6:51am On Dec 28, 2017
all right
nice move
Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by brainpulse: 6:53am On Dec 28, 2017
SpecialAdviser:

Is anyone stopping you from making your own war equipment, illiterates like u should know also Isrealis, Japan, Saudi arabia, and even UK buy some war equipment. You are an IPOB that's not just happy with this success and Nigeria no send you.

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: US Ambassador To Nigeria, Presents Acceptance Letter For The Sale Of A29-Tucano. by EazyMoh(m): 6:53am On Dec 28, 2017
Atiku Supporters will not be happy.

5 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osun Decides: Learn From Davido, Use Your Influence – Reno Omokri / Buhari’s Administration Has Saved Nigerians From Hunger - Lai Mohammed / Osun State Approves New Minimum Wage, Lifts Embargo On Promotion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.