Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect (38824 Views)

Victor Osimhen Closes In On George Weah’s Record, Hails Liberian Legend / Arsene Wenger Invited To George Weah's Inauguration As Liberian President / John Fashanu Congratulates George Weah, Liberian President-Elect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by chrisxxx(m): 1:32pm On Dec 29, 2017
ERR
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by zavalskii(m): 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2017
Check your facts well he played professional football in Cameroon before heading to Europe and NOT from Liberia

1 Like

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by 360command: 1:40pm On Dec 29, 2017
Ghnaija:
Is he a Ghanaian or Liberian
both. Dad is a Ghanaian

1 Like

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by uniqueman(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2017
Realsman405:
Chux Ohai

After starting his career in his home country of Liberia, Arsene Wenger brought him to Europe where he signed for Monaco in 1988.

*. Weah moved to Paris Saint German in 1992 where he won Ligue 1 in 1994 and became the top scorer of the 1994-95 UEFA Champions League.

*. He signed for AC Milan in 1995 where he spent four successful seasons, and won the Italian Serie A, twice. His most notable goal in Italy saw him run the length of the field against Verona.

*.He moved to the English Premier League towards the end of his career and had spells at Chelsea and Manchester City, before returning to France to play for Marseille in 2001, and subsequently ending his career with Al-Jazira in 2003.

*. At international level, he represented Liberia at the African Cup of Nations on two occasions.

*. An idol in Africa, Weah has been heavily involved in politics in his homeland Liberia and ran unsuccessfully for president in the 2005 elections, losing to Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in the second round of voting.

*. In the 2011 election, he ran for vice president on Winston Tubman’s ticket. Running as a Congress for Democratic Change candidate, Weah was elected to the senate in 2014.

*. As successful as he was at club level, Weah was not able to bring over that success to the Liberia National Team. In total, Weah played 60 games for Liberia over 20 years, scoring 22 goals.

*. Along with all-time greats in the sport such as Alfredo Di Stefano and George Best, Weah is regarded as being among the best football players who never got the chance to play at a World Cup.

*. Upon official announcement, George Weah will be the only retired professional footballer to emerge as the President of a country.

http://punchng.com/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-george-weah/

This list is incomplete without mentioning that he once won the World's Best Footballer award. How can you list his lesser footballing accomplishments without mentioning that?
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by veacea: 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2017
My spirit is telling me that Goerge Weah will soon have a statue in Imo state. Lemme ask ifa when this shall be done

2 Likes

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by bolinjkezzy(m): 1:45pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrHistorian:
So. . .The writer deliberately decided to ignore the FACT that he is the FIRST and ONLY footballer in Africa to win the FIFA World Best player award?
The fact am actually expecting to see at the top
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Ghnaija(m): 1:47pm On Dec 29, 2017
Tanx
360command:
both. Dad is a Ghanaian

1 Like

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by harrisonford001: 1:48pm On Dec 29, 2017
Money maketh everything beautiful! if you ever think being broke is holy,trust me your destination is hell! Congrat legend
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 29, 2017
Promismike:
I want to plead with every meaningful Nigerian. It's not about APC or PDP. But it's about our future and that of our kids.

Pls If APC can not present another person as its presidential candidate in 2018 order than Buhari, I don't care where the person comes from, East, west or North or south. Pls lets make sure Buhari is voted out.

Just imagine how 8 yrs would be under Buhari. Hardship and suffering. God forbid.
I beg any good and petriotic Nigerian to reason beyond party, religious and ethnic lines.

People are suffering under this administration. That you are privileged to still be with your job or come from a rich home, Eating what you desire to eat everyday does not mean people are not suffering.

Pls lets reason beyond party, religious and ethnic lines and save ourselves and our kids from impending doom and hardship.
Bihar us not the one bringing suffering. We are paying for our sins. The sin of bad leadership over the years ,corruption in high places low oil prices uncontrolled population lack of infrastructure to attract investors etc
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Caseless: 1:59pm On Dec 29, 2017
msjijitar:
All African football legends will like.
I like this picture. Kanu and benjani mwariwari.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by brightnonso: 2:01pm On Dec 29, 2017
harrisonford001:
Money maketh everything beautiful! if you ever think being broke is holy,trust me your destination is hell! Congrat legend
you are a fool!! A fool @ 40
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrHistorian:
So. . .The writer deliberately decided to ignore the FACT that he is the FIRST and ONLY footballer in Africa to win the FIFA World Best player award?
..must be a tribalist, possibly an AFON........
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by hysteriabox(m): 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2017
Promismike:
I want to plead with every meaningful Nigerian. It's not about APC or PDP. But it's about our future and that of our kids.

Pls If APC can not present another person as its presidential candidate in 2018 order than Buhari, I don't care where the person comes from, East, west or North or south. Pls lets make sure Buhari is voted out.

Just imagine how 8 yrs would be under Buhari. Hardship and suffering. God forbid.
I beg any good and petriotic Nigerian to reason beyond party, religious and ethnic lines.

People are suffering under this administration. That you are privileged to still be with your job or come from a rich home, Eating what you desire to eat everyday does not mean people are not suffering.

Pls lets reason beyond party, religious and ethnic lines and save ourselves and our kids from impending doom and hardship.

I pray people hear o
Most youths now don't care about participating in the electoral process not to mention having voters card.

It's easier to get young people to hear and score a Wizkid track than to listen to common Channels News update. I am not surprised that must of our political jobbers don't bother putting up a manifesto because we wont read it.

But our bane remains bigotry. I pray we heed your counsel
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by daresimon(m): 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrHistorian:

No mind am jare
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Praktikals(m): 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2017
Promismike:

Sorry, dude. Even if PDP presents my papa, na Buhari I go still vote.

1 Like

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Promismike(m): 2:11pm On Dec 29, 2017
toyetade:

Bihar us not the one bringing suffering. We are paying for our sins. The sin of bad leadership over the years ,corruption in high places low oil prices uncontrolled population lack of infrastructure to attract investors etc
If you read the history of most developed nations. Most of them were so bad at a time till they had visionary leadership who reshaped their future.

China and Singapore for example were so bad before they had the right leadership. There was nothing like let's suffer now as we do the right thing. Nooo! Reforms and good leadership brought instant visible progress which acumulates with time.

My brother Buhari is not what we need. We need a constructive reformer. The system need reformations not iron hand and this facade and scam called fighting corruption.

2 Likes

Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Promismike(m): 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2017
Praktikals:

Sorry, dude. Even if PDP presents my papa, na Buhari I go still vote.
Mind you I am not talking about PDP or APC. I don't care if any one who present good candidates wins.

Can you give me one reason u want Buhari to continue. Keep party, religion, ethnicity and loyalty and likeness for Buhari apart as you analyze.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 29, 2017
olkjyuiuyt:
get involved in fixed betting and win big. 130 odds now ready..
see previous winnings below..

Gambling never pays. It may be too late by the time you realise see it. Find other work to do
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 29, 2017
Promismike:
If you read the history of most developed nations. Most of them were so bad at a time till they had visionary leadership who reshaped their future.

China and Singapore for example were so bad before they had the right leadership. There was nothing like let's suffer now as we do the right thing. Nooo! Reforms and good leadership brought instant visible progress which acumulates with time.

My brother Buhari is not what we need. We need a constructive reformer. The system need reformations not iron hand and this facade and scam called fighting corruption.
No country can developed without first of all fighting corruption. No gain without pain. We have been deceived over the years, we need the sacrifice now. Bihari is taking us through the right path
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by meliziz12(m): 2:21pm On Dec 29, 2017
Writer another time make sure you deal with a persons biography consciously before posting to us,you cannot mention George Weah without being the only African holding the prestigious world best player,you missed it all there!
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:28pm On Dec 29, 2017
jawjaw1:
He remains the only African to have ever won the World Footballer of the Year award.

Infact the only man alive to have won African Footballer, European Footballer and World Footballer of the Year titles in the same year.

Hmmm, really a football legend.

Hope he becomes a political legend too?
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 29, 2017
the very interesting thing about this guy was he refused to allow his academic disadvantage to stand on his way.
he was accused of not being educated but within a space of 5 yrs the guy got his degree.
he really persisted
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Promismike(m): 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2017
toyetade:

No country can developed without first of all fighting corruption. No gain without pain. We have been deceived over the years, we need the sacrifice now. Bihari is taking us through the right path
No nation will succeed without fighting corruption holistically not selectivity, my brother. Fighting corruption not considering party affiliation. If you can remember. What Buhari is doing today was done by Obasanjo years ago. Today, where are we. We can only progress when we become sincere to ourselves and tackle our problems without considering our ethic background, party loyalty and religion.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by delpee(f): 2:38pm On Dec 29, 2017
The reality is that he worked hard to get to this level. It's not about money and sentiments. He had the support of some African statesmen including OBJ. He was also smart enough to go back to school to become a graduate. Wise and humble guy!
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by nickxtra(m): 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2017
MrHistorian:
He is the first and only player in whole world to win FIFA, European and African best player in the same year.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 29, 2017
George Okpoku Weah, I'm so very proud of you. You've made my generation proud. Well done! I wonder why this writer dfid not mention that you were once FIFA's World Footballer of the year, European footballer of the year and Africa footballer of the year.

I pray that GOD will use you go make Liberia a better place for Liberians.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
smiley
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by Praktikals(m): 3:08pm On Dec 29, 2017
Promismike:
Mind you I am not talking about PDP or APC. I don't care if any one who present good candidates wins.

Can you give me one reason u want Buhari to continue. Keep party, religion, ethnicity and loyalty and likeness for Buhari apart as you analyze.
You seems not to realise that Buhari is more like a religion.
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by ripbubu: 3:12pm On Dec 29, 2017
9jakohai:

How many elections has okocha contested and won?

Which party is Okocha in?

Who has okocha allied himself to?
politics is not for everyone are you ready to be bathing in human blood to be a politician park
Re: George Weah: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Liberian President-Elect by SmartyPants(m): 3:16pm On Dec 29, 2017
oludyke:
George Okpoku Weah, I'm so very proud of you. You've made my generation proud. Well done! I wonder why this writer dfid not mention that you were once FIFA's World Footballer of the year, European footballer of the year and Africa footballer of the year.

I pray that GOD will use you go make Liberia a better place for Liberians.

As far as know his name is George Oppongi Usman Manneh Weah. There is no Okpoku.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Update on WWE Recent Shows / Uruguay Vs Nigeria - U20 World Cup (2 - 1) On 2nd July 2013 / Ronaldo Unveiled at Al-Nassr FC: My Work In Europe Is Done, I Won Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.