Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. (1391 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Picture Of Ribadu And Jonathan? / Today Is Nuhu Ribadu's Birthday. Your Wish Or Advice To Him. / Fola Adeola Is Nuhu Ribadu’s Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 7:40pm On Apr 06, 2010
This post is not for or against Nuhu Ribadu, but to educate us who Ribadu really his.
Did he really do his job as EFCC Chairman?
Was he biased in the course of the job?
Was he used by OBJ to achieve some political ground?
Do we really need Ribadu or his likes in Nigerian corruption war?
Please post your view and comments here. No abuses please!.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
Some negative comments about Ribadu, from Col. Umar. This was when Ribadu was redeployed. before he was later sacked. Please mind the facts raised here. The good side of Ribadu will be posted shortly.

Why Ribadu must go, by Col Umar
Posted To The Web: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - By KENNY ASHAKA, Kaduna

Former Military Governor of old Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Dangiwa Umar (rtd) has stirred further controversy on the redeployment of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Umar said the EFCC Chairman should quit the job because his appointment was irregular in the first place.
He said although Ribadu would deliver on any task assigned to him, his low level experience needs the guidance of an honest leader.

“I am sorry to say that such environment was most lacking when Nuhu was prematurely appointed as Chairman of EFCC on the insistence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar; definitely due to their common geographical extraction”, he added.

The former Military Governor made this assertion while fielding questions from newsmen in Kaduna in what apparently was his first reaction to the EFCC saga .
Why Ribadu must go
While many say that the decision to post Nuhu Ribadu out is aimed at frustrating the ongoing trial of the President’s former governor colleagues, Umar thinks otherwise, anchoring his belief on the exigencies of the time.

According to him, “Nuhu found himself operating under the tutelage of a most dishonest boss, President Obasanjo. He was under the false impression that Obasanjo was sincere in his fight against corruption. And who would not be deceived considering the saintly image of Obasanjo up to the point of his first election in 1999 and the beautiful rhetorics and declarations he delivered in his inaugural speech in which he promised to restore the years the locust had eaten, to step on toes and have no scared cows in his war against corruption. When therefore Nuhu was appointed, he accepted the challenge with great zeal, some will even say overzealousness
“But very soon, it became apparent to most observers that former President Obasanjo had some other plans for setting up the EFCC and such plans ran counter to the fight against corruption.

“Instead, the EFCC was slanted to fight against the opponents of former President Obasanjo and to also use the institution to cover up Obasanjo’s monumental corruption. I have it on good authority that the EFCC Chairman was troubled and thoroughly embarrassed by Obasanjo’s hypocrisy and double standard. I still cannot understand why Nuhu couldn’t take the honourable path of resignation once he became aware of the President’s antics. I was shocked that the chairman could bear false witness that Obasanjo was not personally corrupt.

He vouched for the integrity of Obasanjo at a time when he had caused to be stolen well over 50 billion dollars through highly inflated contracts, illegal duty waivers and concessions, mismanagement of the Federations Account and scandalous NNPC transactions and a most criminal, opaque privatization of public treasures to his business associates and cronies. When Obasanjo embarked on total genocidal war against his political and business opponents, the EFCC became the most useful and loyal force that was used.

It acquitted itself disregarding all the recognized war conventions. A good example was the corruption advisory list issued on the instruction of President Obasanjo and his party, the PDP which led to the illegal disqualifications of all strong opposition members. It is a measure of the extent of that illegality that many election results are being reversed by tribunals including those of five state governors and still counting”.

Where Ribadu failed
In assessing the EFCC, Umar said although the anti graft body had carried out the anti- corruption war with some measure of seriousness, it does not deserve the credit being showered on it.
Asked if the prosecution of a former Inspector General of Police and former Governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha of Bayelsa State and the recovering of over N500 billion from criminals were not laudable achievements, the former Military Governor shot back, beginning with the case of the former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Tafa Balogun.
Umar said the culprit in the case was not Tafa Balogun, but President Obasanjo who he said aided and abetted the former IGP to embezzle the funds.

“I ask you what was the Police Force annual budget for the whole period that Balogun headed the force? How was it possible for the IGP, working directly under the President who declared war against corruption, to embezzle over N17 billion without the knowledge of the same President? Tafa Balogun was used as a scape goat. He served Obasanjo’s purpose which explained his ridiculously light sentence of six months mostly served in hospital and his house.

“The case of the former governors of Bayelsa State and Plateau goes to prove our claim that the EFCC was used to torment the opposition. They were only victims of the Obasanjo-Atiku feud since they remained loyal to the Vice President. Otherwise, how come they were the only two governors targeted in any serious manner in the fight against corruption?
“I ask you why was Bode George not prosecuted by the EFCC? The president prevented this from happening. In fact, even when Nuhu established a prima-facie case against Bode George, the president threw back the report on the pretext that the EFCC was not specific in identifying individual culprits. The EFCC Chairman was forced to exonerate Bode George by ridiculously claiming that Bode was only a Board Chairman and not the Chief Executive of NPA and could therefore not be held responsible for any contract fraud, as if he is unaware of the powers of the board in contract awards which of course are higher than that of the management.”

Speaking on the monies recovered from those found guilty, Umar said it is yet uncertain how much has been retrieved. He, however, called on the EFCC to expose those from whom such monies have been recovered, saying he is reluctant to praise the anti-graft agency.
He referred to the CNPP’s allegation that over N2 trillion perished under Obasanjo’s watch and wondered what the N500 billion recovered by the anti-graft body means to Nigerians.
Obasanjo’s hypocrisy, Ribadu’s gain
Umar’s response to the question on the coincidence of Ribadu’s redeployment and the prosecution of former governors? He said Ribadu’s appointment was irregular in the first place going by the Act which set up the EFCC. Quoting from the Act, the former military governor said: “the Act provides for a Chairman and Chief Executive and Board members representing the security services.

“The representative of the Police must be of the rank of an AIG. But when Nuhu was appointed, he was only an AC, meaning he was too junior in rank and therefore expected to attended many police and other professional courses if he is to remain in police service. The NIPPS happened to be a requirement for promotion to the top echelon of the security services. So, the exigencies of the police service require Nuhu to proceed on course. Please do a check on the seniority of Nuhu in the police.

It is Obasanjo that catapulted him to the rank of AIG over his mates and some of his superiors so as to unduly exaggerate the achievements of EFCC under him in its war against corruption. It is all part of Obasanjo’s dishonesty and hypocrisy. He decided to decorate his generals after being routed in a war. He surrendered to corruption, but he still has to publish another book on His Command.”
Why Obasanjo’s policies must be reversed

People also see the removal of Nuhu Ribadu as one more evidence that Yar’Adua is intent on reversing all the policies of Obasanjo’s administration. Could this not be true?
To answer the question, Umar went down memory lane, enunciating some of the policies of the Obasanjo administration. In his estimation, Yar’Adua’s government in incapable of reversing all the policies of that administration.

“But there is real and urgent need to reverse all those bad policies and they are so many. You must remember that the main reason Obasanjo was elected in 1999, against all odds, was to pull this country back from the brink. It was expected that with his saintly image which has since been debunked, he would restore the years that the locust had eaten.

He would reverse the rot. Luck played into his hand. The nation witnessed an unprecedented rise in its finance, thanks to the high rise in oil revenue. It was like God had blessed us with manna from heaven. What did our messiah do? He decided to restructure the nation on a very weak and shaky foundation. Our social, political and economic structure has been built on cronyism, nepotism and greed.

His policies have encouraged primitive and criminal appropriation of public wealth by a few to the detriment of the many. Obasanjo’s policies have pauperized majority of Nigerians. Over 70 percent of the people have fallen below poverty line while less than two percent of the population controls over 60 percent of our nation’s wealth. He has pushed the nation further on the precipice. It is therefore in the best interest of the nation that such policies are reversed.”

http://nm.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=11167&z=12
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 8:23pm On Apr 06, 2010
Capital Loss and Corruption: The Example of Nigeria - Ribadu
Wednesday, 20 May 2009 21:56 Nuhu Ribadu

Testimony before the House Financial Services Committee by NUHU RIBADU

Visiting Fellow at St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford; Visiting Fellow at the Center for Global Development; and former Executive Chairman, Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) of Nigeria

Good morning, Chairman Frank, distinguished US Representatives of the Committee, and thank you for this very kind invitation to offer testimony as part of this panel.

The global financial crisis has made nothing so clear as the fact that the global economy is now highly integrated and interconnected. What effects one corner of the globe will reach to all other corners, and the lack of proper regulation and oversight in one place can undermine stability far away.

Corruption has the same effect on global markets, although it is not often thought of in those terms. So just as it is the purpose of this hearing to explore lines of responsibility in the global financial crisis, so too should it be to better understand the global responsibility to end corrupt practices.

Understanding corruption as a transnational problem is the only way to fight it. Corruption in one place is connected to others, enabled by systems of weak regulation and poor oversight. When you think of “corruption,” there will always be specific personalities and places that jump to mind, and inevitably Nigeria is near the top of that list. But I think you will all agree with me that corruption is not a native of any land; it just finds easier homes in some. Societies that have been able to move ahead are those that put the statutes in place to criminalize corruption and ensure that the enforcement mechanisms are proper and ready for action.

Let it be clear from the onset that my intention is not to speak ill of my country or continent, but rather to state the facts as they are.

Next year, Nigeria will be half a century old. In 1960, the year I was born, my country attained Independence from Britain. The promise of independence was boundless and the famous Nigerian energy was all too evident. We were sure we would make it. Home to about 140 million of the West African region’s 220 million inhabitants, Nigeria’s demography alone elects it as a regional power.

Today, after one civil war, seven military regimes, and three botched attempts at building real democracy, there is one connecting factor in the failure of all attempts to govern Nigeria: corruption.

Mr. Chairman, your chosen theme for today’s hearing is right on target. Corruption and capital drain have been the major factors in the lack growth and development in the region. The corruption endemic to our region is not just about bribery, but about mismanagement, incompetence, abuse of office, and the inability to establish justice and the rule of law. As resources are stolen, confidence not just in democratic governance but in the idea of just leadership ebbs away. As the lines of authority with the government erode, so too do traditional authority structures. In the worst cases, eventually all that is left to hold society together is the idea that someday it may be your day to get yours. This does little to build credible, accountable institutions of governance or put the right policies in place.

The African Union has reported that corruption drains the region of some $140 billion a year, which is about 25% of the continent's official GDP. In Nigeria alone, we had a leader, General Sani Abacha, it was believed that he took for himself between $5–6 billion and invested most of it in the western world.

With this history, the EFCC undertook the investigation and auditing of the assets of serving state governors and public officials suspected of stealing public funds. We were assisted by the London Metropolitan Police, including in two cases involving governors. Mr. Joshua Dariye, Governor of Plateau state, was found by the London Metropolitan Police to operate 25 bank accounts in London alone to juggle money and evade the law. Like many of the governors, he used front agents to penetrate western real estate markets where he purchased choice and expensive properties. The London Metropolitan Police determined Dariye had acquired £10 million in benefits through criminal conduct in London, while domestically we were able to restrain proceeds of his crimes worth $34 million. The other was the case of Mr. D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha, governor of oil rich Bayelsa State. He had four properties in London valued at about £10 million, plus another property in Cape Town valued at $1.2 million. £1 million cash was found in his bedroom at his apartment in London. £2 million was restrained at the Royal Bank of Scotland in London and over $240 million in Nigeria. This is in addition to bank accounts traced to Cyprus, Denmark, USA and the Bahamas.

These are just two examples. In 80% of the grand corruption that takes place in Africa, the money is kept somewhere else, enabled by systems of poor regulation that allow abuse by those looking for ways to profit.

Between 1960 and 1999, Nigerian officials had stolen or wasted more than $440 billion. That is six times the Marshall Plan, the total sum needed to rebuild a devastated Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War. When you look across a nation and a continent riddled with poverty and weak institutions, and you think of what this money could have done – only then can you truly understand the crime of corruption, and the almost inhuman indifference that is required by those who wield it for personal gain.

For the West to finally understand why those like myself and my colleagues here today, John Githongo and Monica Macovei, are willing to risk so much, risk our lives, to fight corruption in our home nations, the West must then be willing to see corruption as not just a system of bribes and patronage, but the systematic undermining of responsible governance, of visionary leadership, of a society’s ability to meet and overcome challenges. The West must understand that corruption is part of the reason that African nations cannot fight diseases properly, cannot feed their populations, cannot educate their children and use their creativity and energy to open the doorway to the future they deserve. The crime is not just theft. It is negligence. Wanton negligence, the full impact of which is likely impossible to know.

I have said this before, and while I know it is a controversial statement, I stand by the idea that corruption is responsible for as many deaths as the combined results of conflicts and HIV/AIDS on the African continent.

I always see myself as a policeman first, and as a law enforcement officer at the frontlines, I have seen corruption provide fertile ground for injustice, for violence, for the failure of government and the failure to use revenues and donor support for the benefit of the people. I see how those who are confronted with these systems – diplomats, foreign businesses, NGOs and others with the best of intentions for the continent – make the choice to work within those corrupt practices to get the job done faster, or try to work ethically and morally while knowing this choice will cost them time, profit, and impact. I see people suffer, and while they may not know why or how exactly, they understand that it is unjust, they know right from wrong, and they know that as long as these systems are allowed to thrive, their lives will never be better. But so long as bowing to corruption is the primary way of succeeding in certain societies, it trains generation after generation to accept its yolk, get their due, and ignore those around them.

On a regional dimension, it is estimated that some $20 billion leaves Africa annually through the illicit export of money extorted from development loan contracts. This money is deposited in overseas banks by a network of politicians, civil servants and businessmen. This figure is now roughly equal to the entire amount of aid from the US to Sub‐Saharan Africa every year.

This outflow is not just abstract numbers: it translates to the concrete reality of kids who cannot be put in schools, who will never learn to read, because there are no classrooms; mothers who die in childbirth because the money for maternity care never made it to the hospitals; tens of thousands who die because there are no drugs or vaccines in hospitals; no roads to move produce from farms to markets or enable a thriving economy; no jobs for young school graduates or even ordinary workers; and no security for anyone because the money has been stolen and shipped out.

The picture I paint here is that of my country. The picture of a potentially great land, slowly poisoned by the idea that the importunity of lawlessness is success. The picture of a land held hostage for decades by a kleptocratic bunch of fraudsters who built a career in politics to protect their lines of revenue. I am saddened when I hear America’s new president, his First Lady, and his cabinet officials all speaking at graduation ceremonies and calling for service to your country and your community, because I know that in Nigeria that this is not happening at the moment.

While there is much blame to be directed at Nigeria for this state, we should not stand accused for these crimes alone. The unholy alliance between local political elites and western financial institutions has been the foundation of this narrative of shame. The best illustration yet is the now famous Halliburton/KBR scandal where, as a Nigerian Newspaper recently reported, our leaders received “stacks of US dollar bills in briefcases and sometimes in bullion vans” until some $185 million had been exchanged for a contract to build a liquefied natural gas plant.

The other famous case is the Siemens scandal. According to the US Securities and Exchange Commission [SEC], Siemens made approximately $12.7 million in “suspicious payments” for Nigerian projects, including to government customers for four telecommunications projects. The total value of the four contracts was approximately $130 million. There are many other instances. The total amount in bribes is staggering.

In both of these cases, the United States and Germany, the parent nations of these two companies, have initiated stern investigations and issued out hefty fines on the companies – but those who received the bribes in Nigeria continue to enjoy the fruits of their labors, which only means the cycle will continue. It is clear that KBR did their own calculus: $185 million in bribes, plus eventually almost $600 million in fines for violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, but they won $6 billion in business for their efforts. These projects continue on. And this kind of math will continue on for as long as companies realize there are those on the ground willing and eager for this type of facilitation. In Nigeria, the alleged culprits are going about their daily lives and even running the government by default. And yet they are still engaged from outside as equal partners in governance and development. * * * * *

I have always held the belief that the laws needed to check these problems often already exist; what is lacking is the culture of enforcement. Enforcement blossoms only where there is the necessary political will, and this political will must be strong at the very top. There is no place in the world where anti‐corruption efforts will succeed without this political will, without leadership to promote the effort openly as a moral and political force. Without this will, the pressure on enforcement agents smothers their efforts and is destined to destroy the very agencies defined to lead the war against graft.

7 I learnt this myself by firsthand example. Having spent five years building Nigeria’s EFCC into a world‐class crime‐fighting agency with trusted partnerships with US and UK agencies, all of it has now changed, like many of the other reform efforts in the country.

When the EFCC was formed in 2003, our country had never secured a single criminal conviction for corruption charges. We were fortunate to have the political support of President Obasanjo; of other several powerful ministers in the government including Nasir El‐Rufai, from whose budget the original money to support the EFCC came; from key Senators; and from the judiciary whose responsibility it was to decide the cases presented to them.

By 2007 we had secured convictions in over 275 of the near 1000 cases in the courts. It was modest but revolutionary, especially since the convictions were from cases against high‐ranking officials such as the leadership of the Nigeria Police, a number of state governors, ministers, legislators and top bureaucrats. The symbol of these convictions to ordinary Nigerians had more impact than I could have believed. But for the first time, they saw those living unlawfully and with impunity being called to task, and they allowed themselves to hope that a new Nigeria, where the fruits of their labors would finally be enough to prosper, may be coming.

And things changed, at least for a while. This was homage to the extraordinary will and belief of young Nigerians who saw corruption as the barrier to the progress of our country and wanted to contribute. The effort we made at the EFCC was a marriage of two forces: pressure from outside and the force from within. The international community deployed the instruments of the Financial

8 Action Task Force [FATF] to trigger necessary reforms, which provided us the platform to build a strong local program to clean up our financial institutions and prosecute those who sought to undermine them. This ultimately paved the way for a far‐reaching banking reform in the country, famously described as the consolidation of about a hundred mushroom banks into 25 strong institutions. Some of these banks are now seen as credible financial institutions with continental reach; indeed, some of them are stepping in to fill the gaps left by decreased activity of Western banks during the financial crisis.

The EFCC also helped to address the problems in the Niger Delta, which, in my opinion, is driven entirely by corruption. Indeed, one of the governors of the Delta that we investigated offered me $15 million in cash to stop the investigation against him. We charged him both for the theft of state revenues and for the bribery attempt. Sadly today he is still one of the most powerful political figures in both the ruling party and the country. This clearly highlights the problem of the Delta – money meant to have gone for development has gone to very few hands and is used for negative ends. In 2003‐4, almost 100,000 barrels of oil was stolen daily; by 2005‐6, we had managed to reduce this to 10,000 barrels per day. We also secured convictions for kidnappers in the Delta, who were driving the cycle of violence and bribery with the private oil companies.

The entire team responsible for these successes, which was trained by a variety of agencies in the US, has been moved out of the EFCC. I personally have been dismissed from the service, though I continue to challenge this dismissal in court. After surviving an assassination attempt, I decided to relocate temporarily out of Nigeria. But much work remains to be done. But the policy today in Nigeria is to use all the right rhetoric – speaking of the need for rule of law and the fight against corruption – to cover‐up their real campaign to completely undo the reform efforts of the previous government and so thoroughly confuse corruption and anti‐corruption that no one can sort out which is which any longer. This is why today; many of the law enforcement agencies that used to work hand‐in‐hand with the EFCC are no longer willing to partner with the EFCC or the Nigerian Justice Department. The issue of integrity is paramount in such relationships.

I offer these examples to illustrate the challenge in fighting corruption. When you fight corruption, it fights back. It will likely have greater resources than you, and it is lead by those who operate outside the law and view the fight as life‐and‐death for their survival. In a globalized and networked world, we all need to believe that the fight against corruption must assume a transborder dimension. Our own modest success at the EFCC was supported by efforts of institutions of the United Nations, regional bodies, and many bilateral bodies like the US Secret Service, the FBI, the US Postal Service, and the Department of Justice. I would particularly mention the support we got from the United States in setting up and nurturing the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit. We were also aided by the emergence of statutes that offered universal applicability. But without a doubt, the fight against corruption in countries like Nigeria will require strengthening international regulations and standards to enable enforcement on the ground.

For example, the work of the EFCC would not have been possible without the Financial Action Task Force, which de facto forced Nigeria to develop new anti‐

10 money laundering laws and spurred the creation of the EFCC. However, the FATF lost its original might and importance and there is a need to strengthen it, empower it, and provide the necessary framework for international financial regulations. Stronger global standards against money laundering can force Nigeria and other countries to accept that the old way of business will come with too high a cost.

Similarly, the US could help promote a Proceeds of Crime law that has treaty status, and push the boundaries of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) to be expanded power to bite both givers and takers of bribes. Until those receiving the bribes are punished for their actions, the marketplace for high‐stakes elite bribery will continue to thrive. I would also propose that Congress support civil society monitoring programmes and direct support for programmes building investigative journalism, which can support transparency and anti‐corruption efforts.

Other challenges will include expanding cooperation in intelligence gathering and sharing and reigning in the vicarious liability of tax havens and offshore banks. This comes back to the theme of today’s hearing, about the role of financial institutions. Safe havens are undermining the effort of poor nations to make progress and we must all work in concert to ensure that secrecy does not undermine greater transparency and accountability. The UK’s Commission for Africa estimates that the assets stolen from the continent and held in foreign bank accounts amount to $93 billion. If Africa can succeed in tracing and repatriating such stolen wealth, the next chapter in the story may truly turn a new page, and the days of aid dependency can start to wane.

11 From a distance, systemic corruption seems like too big a hurdle to overcome. Nigeria’s problems may seem insurmountable, but the rest of the world can make a difference by doing what they can to promote transparency. In five short years, the EFCC was able to make a difference in one of the most challenging environments on the planet; the lesson is that small measures with limited support can bring about meaningful change.

But to do this, Western partners and others must truly understand how corruption works and that in some instances they have been unwilling partners to it, even when the intentions have been nothing but good. Corruption is often viewed as a political challenge, and many donor nations would rather support more humanitarian‐based causes, like health and education. But it is time for everyone to understand that by pumping money into development efforts without a clear accountability mechanism as a part of such programs, these efforts are often as good as putting money down the drain. The US has many new health and development initiatives in Africa – in Nigeria alone the total is over a half billion dollars a year. You owe it to yourselves and to your taxpayers to ask how this money is spent, ask for results, and insist that any such funds are spent to the good of the people. I believe if you looked more closely at some of the organizations in Africa tasked with utilizing these funds, you would not like what you see. The same is true of any nation offering development aid on the continent; the need for greater oversight standards are needed by all partners.

The examples I give today are not to point fingers, but to illustrate that corruption is killing Nigeria, and it is killing across the African continent. I urge you to view the fight against corruption as the ultimate humanitarian effort, for surely there is no stronger chain to shackle the poor to their lot. Corruption may have taken some shots at us, but what it is doing to ordinary Nigerians every day is far worse and far more fatal.

When corruption is king, there is no accountability of leadership and no trust in authority. Society devolves to the basic units of family and self, to the baser instincts of getting what you can when you can; because you don’t believe anything better will ever come along. And when the only horizon is tomorrow, how can you care about the kind of nation you are building for your children and your grandchildren? How can you call on your government to address what ails society and build stronger institutions?

Corruption makes democracy impossible because it subverts the will of the people. A select few, with so much money and authority, continue to steal elections and make a mockery of the notion of government by the people or for the people. Nigeria today is the worst example of electoral theft in the world. So it is also important that the United States and other partners in Nigeria stand by the Nigerian people first and foremost, and say that enough is enough.

Corruption is one of the greatest crimes the world has ever known. But those who are suffering the most from its poison are the least able to fight it; their resources, their health and wellbeing, and their futures have been stolen away. There is no surer salt in the earth of democratic and representative governance. It is for this reason that I call on you to help fight this global injustice, both for the sake of Nigeria, and for every other country that will never know its potential without your support. But at the end of the day it will be we, the Nigerians and the Africans, that will have to solve our own problems and catch up to the rest of the world in freedom and development. I assure you that can be done.

Thank you once again for this kind invitation and I now welcome your questions.

http://elombah.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=837:capital-loss-and-corruption-the-example-of-nigeria-&catid=36:omoba&Itemid=83
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 8:29pm On Apr 06, 2010
selingel:

Why Ribadu must go

According to him, “Nuhu found himself operating under the tutelage of a most dishonest boss, President Obasanjo. He was under the false impression that Obasanjo was sincere in his fight against corruption. And who would not be deceived considering the saintly image of Obasanjo up to the point of his first election in 1999 and the beautiful rhetorics and declarations he delivered in his inaugural speech in which he promised to restore the years the locust had eaten, to step on toes and have no scared cows in his war against corruption. When therefore Nuhu was appointed, he accepted the challenge with great zeal, some will even say overzealousness
“But very soon, it became apparent to most observers that former President Obasanjo had some other plans for setting up the EFCC and such plans ran counter to the fight against corruption.

“Instead, the EFCC was slanted to fight against the opponents of former President Obasanjo and to also use the institution to cover up Obasanjo’s monumental corruption. I have it on good authority that the EFCC Chairman was troubled and thoroughly embarrassed by Obasanjo’s hypocrisy and double standard. I still cannot understand why Nuhu couldn’t take the honourable path of resignation once he became aware of the President’s antics. I was shocked that the chairman could bear false witness that Obasanjo was not personally corrupt.

He vouched for the integrity of Obasanjo at a time when he had caused to be stolen well over 50 billion dollars through highly inflated contracts, illegal duty waivers and concessions, mismanagement of the Federations Account and scandalous NNPC transactions and a most criminal, opaque privatization of public treasures to his business associates and cronies. When Obasanjo embarked on total genocidal war against his political and business opponents, the EFCC became the most useful and loyal force that was used.

Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 8:35pm On Apr 06, 2010
selingel:

Where Ribadu failed:

Asked if the prosecution of a former Inspector General of Police and former Governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha of Bayelsa State and the recovering of over N500 billion from criminals were not laudable achievements, the former Military Governor shot back, beginning with the case of the former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Tafa Balogun.
Umar said the culprit in the case was not Tafa Balogun, but President Obasanjo who he said aided and abetted the former IGP to embezzle the funds.

“I ask you what was the Police Force annual budget for the whole period that Balogun headed the force? How was it possible for the IGP, working directly under the President who declared war against corruption, to embezzle over N17 billion without the knowledge of the same President? Tafa Balogun was used as a scape goat. He served Obasanjo’s purpose which explained his ridiculously light sentence of six months mostly served in hospital and his house.

“The case of the former governors of Bayelsa State and Plateau goes to prove our claim that the EFCC was used to torment the opposition. They were only victims of the Obasanjo-Atiku feud since they remained loyal to the Vice President. Otherwise, how come they were the only two governors targeted in any serious manner in the fight against corruption?

Obasanjo’s hypocrisy, Ribadu’s gain
Umar’s response to the question on the coincidence of Ribadu’s redeployment and the prosecution of former governors? He said Ribadu’s appointment was irregular in the first place going by the Act which set up the EFCC. Quoting from the Act, the former military governor said: “the Act provides for a Chairman and Chief Executive and Board members representing the security services.

“The representative of the Police must be of the rank of an AIG. But when Nuhu was appointed, he was only an AC, meaning he was too junior in rank and therefore expected to attended many police and other professional courses if he is to remain in police service. The NIPPS happened to be a requirement for promotion to the top echelon of the security services. So, the exigencies of the police service require Nuhu to proceed on course. Please do a check on the seniority of Nuhu in the police.

It is Obasanjo that catapulted him to the rank of AIG over his mates and some of his superiors so as to unduly exaggerate the achievements of EFCC under him in its war against corruption. It is all part of Obasanjo’s dishonesty and hypocrisy. He decided to decorate his generals after being routed in a war. He surrendered to corruption, but he still has to publish another book on His Command.”
Why Obasanjo’s policies must be reversed

Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 8:44pm On Apr 06, 2010
selingel:

Ribadu's Speech:
Next year, Nigeria will be half a century old. In 1960, the year I was born, my country attained Independence from Britain. The promise of independence was boundless and the famous Nigerian energy was all too evident. We were sure we would make it. Home to about 140 million of the West African region’s 220 million inhabitants, Nigeria’s demography alone elects it as a regional power.

Today, after one civil war, seven military regimes, and three botched attempts at building real democracy, there is one connecting factor in the failure of all attempts to govern Nigeria: corruption.

Mr. Chairman, your chosen theme for today’s hearing is right on target. Corruption and capital drain have been the major factors in the lack growth and development in the region. The corruption endemic to our region is not just about bribery, but about mismanagement, incompetence, abuse of office, and the inability to establish justice and the rule of law. As resources are stolen, confidence not just in democratic governance but in the idea of just leadership ebbs away. As the lines of authority with the government erode, so too do traditional authority structures. In the worst cases, eventually all that is left to hold society together is the idea that someday it may be your day to get yours. This does little to build credible, accountable institutions of governance or put the right policies in place.

The African Union has reported that corruption drains the region of some $140 billion a year, which is about 25% of the continent's official GDP. In Nigeria alone, we had a leader, General Sani Abacha, it was believed that he took for himself between $5–6 billion and invested most of it in the western world.

With this history, the EFCC undertook the investigation and auditing of the assets of serving state governors and public officials suspected of stealing public funds. We were assisted by the London Metropolitan Police, including in two cases involving governors. Mr. Joshua Dariye, Governor of Plateau state, was found by the London Metropolitan Police to operate 25 bank accounts in London alone to juggle money and evade the law. Like many of the governors, he used front agents to penetrate western real estate markets where he purchased choice and expensive properties. The London Metropolitan Police determined Dariye had acquired £10 million in benefits through criminal conduct in London, while domestically we were able to restrain proceeds of his crimes worth $34 million. The other was the case of Mr. D.S.P. Alamieyeseigha, governor of oil rich Bayelsa State. He had four properties in London valued at about £10 million, plus another property in Cape Town valued at $1.2 million. £1 million cash was found in his bedroom at his apartment in London. £2 million was restrained at the Royal Bank of Scotland in London and over $240 million in Nigeria. This is in addition to bank accounts traced to Cyprus, Denmark, USA and the Bahamas.

HEAR RIBADU HERE:
I always see myself as a policeman first, and as a law enforcement officer at the frontlines, I have seen corruption provide fertile ground for injustice, for violence, for the failure of government and the failure to use revenues and donor support for the benefit of the people. I see how those who are confronted with these systems – diplomats, foreign businesses, NGOs and others with the best of intentions for the continent – make the choice to work within those corrupt practices to get the job done faster, or try to work ethically and morally while knowing this choice will cost them time, profit, and impact. I see people suffer, and while they may not know why or how exactly, they understand that it is unjust, they know right from wrong, and they know that as long as these systems are allowed to thrive, their lives will never be better. But so long as bowing to corruption is the primary way of succeeding in certain societies, it trains generation after generation to accept its yolk, get their due, and ignore those around them.

Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 8:47pm On Apr 06, 2010
Comments from posters here. Please no abusive language.

Do Ribadu deserve a second chance?
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Enjoyment1(f): 8:54pm On Apr 06, 2010
Well, the chap did well initially considering the circumstances he found himself. This is evident in the initial report he submitted to OBJ while in office about Bode George, but he does not deserve a second chance, since he showed signs of being used to achieved selfish aims. That is what destroyed Ribadu. He should just keep shut.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 9:58pm On Apr 06, 2010
Ribadu refutes EFCC claim on sold assets
By Ifedayo Adebayo
April 6, 2010 02:18AM

Lawyers to former EFCC chairman, Nuhu Ribadu, on Monday, reacted to reports suggesting that Mr. Ribadu, as Chairman of the commission, fraudulently sold assets seized from convicts such as Tafa Balogun, Emmanuel Nwude, and DSP Alamieyeseigha.

The reports quoted the EFCC as saying it has issued an interim report of the investigations on Ribadu, and that the report is currently before the Acting President, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan, and the National Security Adviser, Mohammed Aliyu Gusau.

"While it is easy to read into, and sympathize with, the extreme desperation that has led the EFCC into these bogus and orchestrated media campaign, Mr. Ribadu states categorically today, as he did late November 2008, when this same groundless rumour was advertised by these same forces, that he did not supervise the sale of any property with respect to the convicted former governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. DSP Alamieyeseigha," one of the lawyers, Charles Musa, said in a statement issued on Monday.

"While it is true that the painstaking investigations, the conviction, and the recovery of all the proceeds of corruption from Mr. Alamieyeseigha were done during Mr. Ribadu's tenure, the disposal of the property was actually done at the instance of Mrs. Farida Waziri, the new EFCC boss." Regarding Mr. Nwude, the statement said whereas Mr. Ribadu supervised the investigation and prosecution of Mr. Nwude, leading to his conviction in a court of law, neither he nor any EFCC staff had a hand in the disposal of his assets.

"It is a sad illustration of the collapse of competence at the EFCC that the agency could still speak of some "Emmanuel Nwude's property," knowing full well that these were proceeds of crime, and that a court of law actually gave a proper order of forfeiture against him," the statement said.

Putrefied state

Mr. Musa said the court ordered the disposal of "Nwude's property" as restitution to the rightful owners of the stolen assets, and the disposal was handled by lawyers to the complainants whom Mr. Nwude duped in the first place.

"The law firm is one of the leading firms of attorneys in this country who can be contacted for further reference if the EFCC has difficulties understanding the process of asset forfeiture," Mr. Musa declared.

"Again, as in the case of Mr. Nwude, a clear court order was obtained to recover the assets of Mr. Balogun, and the process of disposal was again handled by some of the leading estate firms in the country. Mr. Ribadu did not partake in the asset disposal process, and did not know a single individual who bought or acquired any of the property.

Mr. Ribadu, his lawyer said, expressed dismay that an institution which, in its first four years of existence, garnered a lot of local and international esteem on account of its sterling reputation for dogged investigation, "has putrefied to this current state, where even basic reference records have become a challenge for the leadership of the agency. Mr. Ribadu earnestly looks forward to a timely return of those shaping values that gave meaning, pride, and honour to the EFCC we once knew and cherished so well."

Ribadu's Return

It is not clear if there is a connection between Mr. Ribadu's imminent return and the recent allegations against him. In a NEXT on Sunday exclusive, we had reported Mr. Ribadu's acceptance of a job as special adviser on anti-corruption, good governance, and sundry matters, to Mr. Jonathan.

His new designation will be to supervise Jonathan's anti-corruption crusade in the country, which includes his former agency, the EFCC; the ICPC; the Code of Conduct Bureau, and other related agencies

FEED BACK FROM THE SITE:

Back
Dear Reader.
While we value your feedback we may block inappropriate comment. Please feel free to respond to new comments. Note also that 234NEXT bears no responsibility for what readers post and is not liable for any form of impersonation.
reader comments (49)

Posted by De Jinx on Apr 06 2010
The present clowns at the EFCC led by the Queenpin Farida Waziri have realised that their time is up. As a result they will do anything to avoid closer scrutiny into their grandstanding and inactivity over the last couple of years. The likes of Ibori and all the other untouchables within and outside the government can no longer be protected rather than be prosecuted by the EFCC. The chickens have really come home to roost. The tragicomedy that is Nigeria continues to unfold. People be ready to laugh or cry some more depending on how it affects you. Naija for life abi for laff.

Posted by sailor on Apr 06 2010
the efcc sice the departure of ribadu haa been a den of corruption ,inneficiency and ineptitude.infact an extesion of ibori private office,

Posted by NaijaDude on Apr 06 2010
Farida your slippers don cut. Shameless woman

Posted by Chuka Umenne on Apr 06 2010
Infact Mrs. Farida Waziri should hide her head in shame. Nigerians are not fools. We know how she shielded Ibori from prosecution only to seem to investigate him now at the expense of the lives of innocent operatives. She is not fit to do this EFCC job. Her time is up. We await Ribadu's return. Nigeria go beta!

Posted by Sos on Apr 06 2010
Hajiya farida should just resign & go.her days are numbered.No mater what she does with iminent return of ribadu, she cannot suceed because of her inefectiveness

Posted by danjuma katsina,nuj vice chairmankatsina state on Apr 06 2010
ribadu as muslim. can he swear with holy kur an.that he is clean,on this allergations? me, i am not convinced this man is a saint or a messiah in fighting corruption in nigeria.ribadu is only a lucky person.

Posted by jerry rawlings on Apr 06 2010
Just compare the number of successful EFCC prosecutions of previous 'untouchables' under Ribadu with those under Farida. Case closed my Lord.

Posted by moses on Apr 06 2010
Ribadu ur good named will create ways for u, God almighty will fight for u .in any circumstand let ur hand been clean say the Lord ,those whose fight u will be under ur fit any moment now,they conpire u ,but God pass them,GoodLuck

Posted by MALLAM ABDUL on Apr 06 2010
LET RIBADU COME WITH PROOF NOT BLACKMAI

Posted by Mr. Teacher on Apr 06 2010
Just one word for Farida "Failure!!".

Posted by Mr. Teacher on Apr 06 2010
Mallam Abdul,u got it wrong, it is Farida that's supposed to come with d proof not Ribadu. Besides u should ask ur self i simple question. Why is Auntie Farida pulling a stunt like this at this time?

Posted by abbey on Apr 06 2010
the guity are afraid, you can the the sponsored reports against the person of Mr. Nuhu Ribadu in the dalies. you will see that these theives in power are afraid of the going back of Ribadu, they want to hold the Nation hostage and continue in their normal ways of enriching their pockage with the nation resources but we the masses must tell them that we are wiser and better inform than efore. we should resist this renew onslaughts against the person of Ribadu. they are thieves and the are afraid of Ribadu. we need young, radical and dynamic person to move niaja forward

Posted by Yunusa kogi on Apr 06 2010
Who is afriad of who. From asset non declearation to asset disposal. Farida & co to keep quit and stop frivorious petition. Its 2 late 4 you. Thumb up 4 ribado. U ar welcome and do ur work without fear or favour.

Posted by Yahuza on Apr 06 2010
Ribadu you are just speaking grammar and trying to divert attention, come home and clear your name. When court orders for forfeiture of assets to Federal government, do you leave in the hands of estate agent agents to sell or you involve the relevant government agencies as prescribed by the law. this is the issue. Ribadu,you stink!

Posted by Chike-lagos on Apr 06 2010
What a man can do woman can do even better. List all the women you that were in control about 4 of them (turai, iyabo, patricia and farida) what do they have in common? Naija wake up it's dawn

Posted by Nike ao. on Apr 06 2010
In simple english, what Mrs Warizi's efcc is attempting to do by its bogus report on Ribadu amounts to sourgrapes. Mrs Waziri's efcc is now a dog in a manager and employing desperate tactics to avoid Ribadu's take over, Beacuse of the desperation it is now exhibiting, i can bet my bottom dollar( that's pretty expensive money nowadays) to wager that Mrs Waziri's efcc is as corrupt as hell. As a woman, I am ashamed of her Turaic tendencies.

Posted by Marry Jouanah on Apr 06 2010
GLJ is tryin to build up his own criminal gang.Ribadu is a thief like any other public office holder.He should clear his name in a law court.THIEF! OLE! INÖ! Carry am go!

Posted by feelix on Apr 06 2010
Those of you abusing Ribadu are just fools where were you when Farida was using agents to collect money from suspects where were you when she was protecting Ibori with aondoaaka you refuse to see a lot of corruption that was taking place under her nose it is when she vacate the post that you guyz will see her unclothedness, farida is corrupt and her time is up like Maurice Iwu. All calumny against Ribadu will fall like a pack of card , if you are not corrupt you need fear anything but if you are corrupt you and all your agants are in for it.

Posted by Toyin Ade on Apr 06 2010
These are definitely not best of times for Farida Waziri. She is afraid of her own shadow. She is terribly afraid to her bones about the iminent return of Ribadu to the country and not only that that, she is equally afraid of the way she has treated Ribadu and all her conspiracies with known thieves & rogues and very corrupt personalities like Ibori & Aondoakaa. She is afraid because her agency EFCC will be under Ribadu's supervision, which is a big headache for her. The chicken has come home to roost, all the corruption activities of Farida herself will come under search-light. With above reasons and other reasons best known to Farida are the reasons why Farida through the EFCC is starting another round of failed rumour & baseless propaganda against Ribadu. Useless and shameful media organisations that have taken money from Farida Waziri to emback on this ignoble course will have their fingers burnt very soon. Farida will have to explain to Nigerians how she got all the millions of Naira she is spending for propaganda war.

Posted by Jinxbreaker on Apr 06 2010
Run Ibori.,run Ibori, Ibori runnnnnnnnn!!!

Posted by Igbo boy. on Apr 06 2010
What do you mean by proceed of crime. At the end of the day, Mr Nwude succeded where others fail. He made the money in another country and brought it home to invest. When this case was going on, they made him pay back all that he owns to the Brazillian Bank. Stupid Nigerian lawyer, what do you know. For me, as long as the money comes home, then no problems. After all, the British did it and are still doing it, the Russians, Germans, Swiss and now the Chiness nationals. All of them targeting and short changing us and as soon as a Nigerian abroad succedes in getting a little back from whichever way, everybody will start shouting. They will even use our people against us while it is still the same oyibo that sheilds our politicians and and provides adequate protections for the looted funds in their respective countries. Please go after politicians and leave the Nigerian husler abroad alone. Let their own police catch us if the can. As long as the money gets home as in the case of Nwude, then who is complaining. Ribadu did well as the head of EFCC exept his handling of Chief Nwude's case after all, he paid back everything so why not leave him alone. Provide amunities and work for your people and stop chasing beloved Nigerians who only mean well for the country. Open your eyes.

Posted by Chris on Apr 06 2010
Of all the chics in Govt na only Aunty Dora and my babe Allison de represent.

Posted by Abdulrazaq Yusuf on Apr 06 2010
Farida Waziri is a failure at EFFC and she must go. we know how she was brought to head EFCC james Ibori, Yar'Adua most trusted friend

Posted by Mr. Ribadu on Apr 06 2010
Of course Ribadu himself is a propagandist and he will be used by Jonathan just as OBJ to terrorise Nigerians home and abroad so as to secure Jonathan as the next President. In fact the present agenda is to rubbish Yar'Adua while Jonathan remain Acting President. Insh'Allah Jonathan sojourn will end within one month and Yar'Adua will return and Ribadu will be arrested when he step foot in Nigeria.

Posted by Azimi Ahmed on Apr 06 2010
Why cant people be fair in judging others?Ribadu should prove all he is saying instead of hiding and spitting out cheap lies.

Posted by nana adam on Apr 06 2010
Mallam Ribadu,y dont u come home ,answer ur query and clear urself, if really u re hu u re,i tink its high time u come and clear urself.

Posted by MATTHEW OYE on Apr 06 2010
c/o Igbo boy, When you engaged in 419 and get some money, it is called crime or stealing. That is not how to make good money.To make good money you have to work hard with your mind and hands. Your way of thhinking is not good enough.Cheating, duping people whether it is within Nigeria or from abroad is a sin. We should all endeavour to clean and purge ourselves from this notion of making money in another countries through dubious means. Nigeria is a great country. Nigerians especially the ibos are enterprising people. In fact, the same hard thinking they are using to do 419, if they use the same thinking in a positive and honest ways, I bet you they will still be making good money. So igbo boy, yes you may not fancy going to school, but please get into doing appretice under a master and few years from now you will be making good money with peace of mind.

Posted by chinyere Obi on Apr 06 2010
Farida has done,is doing and will do better thinhs for this country if given the chance why dont we join her and make things easier for us all she has tried justn give her kudos RIBADU just confess she is doing far better than what u did ok now i know thats why ure getting hyper active now abi

Posted by Cynthia Elumelu on Apr 06 2010
Jonathan call on Ribadu and withdrawal of active court case and his arrest shows disregard to Nigerian Laws. Are we in democracy with separation of powers? Jonathan is slowly becoming a dictator which is an invitation for the Military takeover which explains why he is not interested in leaving Nigeria for USA. Unfortunately for Jonathan, Mr President will rise again and his hold on the Presidency must end. Ribadu for God sake get a job like any other Nigerian. Federal government does not belong to your father or yourself

Posted by Azimi Ahmed on Apr 06 2010
Those of you who feel you know all Farida's shady deals, Why not come out and expose her, instead of doing follow follow for what you dont really know of.make una no die for wetin una no know oh.

Posted by maimuna abubakar on Apr 06 2010
stop with the talking and fighting thru media, if u are truly innocent comeback to the country and defend urself.

Posted by Ikpe on Apr 06 2010
If an allegation is levelled against an individual,the very first thing to do is to defend himself against such but this must be done accordingly.Ribadu must come home to defend himself.He should not take refuge abroad.The allegations against him are weighty and should not be defended in the pages of newspapers or on the internet

Posted by ALTINE DODO on Apr 06 2010
Farida is doing well,all she is doing is her job as a patriotic and dedicated Nigerian,so Ribadu should just obey the law,he should come and wash himself ,if he knows dat he is clean.

Posted by Oye@Abuja on Apr 06 2010
Ribadu personal vendetta against certain persons surely will no longer be tolerated. Jonathan was rubbished by him and I don't see any reason why Ribadu will not blackmail Jonathan with the hope of him seeking Presidency (That will be the day) and in all honesty Nigerians will never accept a dictator like Ribadu ever again. If Ribadu claimed some people wanted to assasinate him because he faced corruption charges then can he tell us why he wanted to return to NIgeria to take a position??

Posted by Chris Eberechukwu on Apr 06 2010
Ribadu,please don't let them decieve you. Come back and face these charges because he who lives in a glass house do not throw stones.

Posted by oludare mayowa on Apr 06 2010
I think from the look of thing here, those who were calling Nuhu Ribadu names here must surely be the gang of 419 and the yahoo boyz tamed during the reign of Nuhu. For many of us, Nuhu played his part, made his mark and contributed his onw quota to the fight against corruption in our country. If not for him, the likes of Ibori, DSP Alams would have continue to parade themselves as defenders of Niger Delta people. The next stage is for Ag President Jonathan to summon the courage to appoint Nuhu back as head of all the anti-corruption agencies in the country and see how his name will be remember for life. Once we are able to tackle the issue of corruption in Nigeria, our problems will be half solved.

Posted by Ugbor on Apr 06 2010
Farida Waziri, if i were u, i would'v resigned if the atmosphere is not condusive for me to perform creditably well in stead of messing urself up like u are currently doing. After all, good name, they say, is better than riches. Farida, bear in mind that u have been categorised in the same line wth such failures as Patricea Ette and other disgracefull, animalistic women who should bury their heads in shame. I have vibrated!!!,

Posted by Tonee on Apr 06 2010
I think it is absolutely shameful for Jonathan to order the withdrawal of charges against Ribadu. Those singing the praises of this man are all quiet on that. I smell the vindictive influence of Obasanjo. Jonathan will ruin himself on this Ribadu issue. The matter is really simple. Let the man come home and face the law. If the courts clear him, you can give him any appointment you want.

Posted by Naija Proper on Apr 06 2010
Hey fellow Nig-e-rians, i know as a people, we are skeptical about anyone who has had any position of power; we are so jaded as a people, that's why all sorts of rumors persist about even people like Ribadu, who clearly should be rewarded for his fight against "the deadliest human disaster" that has kept our nation from any meaninful progress. We all know in Nigeria, nobody is a saint, if you are, then kudos to you, but to apportion corrupt practices to Mr. Ribadu as the as other "thieving politicians" in Nigerian? Common, you ever you are, must be sick! Unless you are one of those who benefits from the continuous "raping" of your motherland, Nigeria! As in this, I will always choose the lesser of "two evils" to be on my side, which is clearly, Ribadu. The return of Ribadu is the beginning of "fear" for the "rapists" of our "motherland", Nigeria! Ribadu for President, 2011!

Posted by Igbo Boy. on Apr 06 2010
C/O Mathew onye, point of correction, it is not only 419 that Nigerians abroad make money from. Where i am based, we make good money and are enterprising. But enough of calling us bad names when we are not even doing one third of what the rest of the world is doing. And also, who are you to tell me about going to school when you cannot even write properly. for your information, i have completed my masters degree programme at Middlesex University here in the UK. So please, talk about the issue at hand. You keep your opinion to yourself. Thank you.

Posted by Naija Proper on Apr 06 2010
@ ALTINE DODO and others asking Ribadu to come aswers query in Nigeria, I ask you, what kind of judicial system do we have in Najia? We all know nigeria courts are "kangaroo courts", were the judicial process is compromised. You people asking for his "head" must be beneficiaries of the continuous "raping" of our motherland, that you fail to see the common good that Mr. Ribadu is fighting for. It's time all of you stick your heads out of your "asses", your days maybe numbered, nigeria has to move forward! Haba!!!

Posted by Edwino@Lagos on Apr 06 2010
'Many are the afflictions of the rightoeus, but the Lord delivers him from them all' so says the Bible. If indeed Ribadu eventually comes back to this country after all the horrible and heart breaking things that had been done to him, that will be a clear testimony to every living person that the Almighty God will never abandon those who fear him and work according to His will. Ribadu may not be a saint, but his passion for making this country great can only be described as God inspired.

Posted by Nike ao on Apr 06 2010
@ igboboy: "Ribadu did well as the head of EFCC exept his handling of Chief Nwude's case after all, he paid back everything so why not leave him alone, " you say! It is quite clear from the tone, tenor and illogic of your response that you are an unrepentant 419er! You and your ilk are the one's giving igbo boys a very baAAAAAD reputation! If we extend your 'logic' to its illogical conclusion, we should also leave armed robbers alone to continue enjoying thier illgotten wealth so long as thier heist is spent in Nigeria.For the likes of you, that's 'development funds". Please, if you have nothing reasonable to say, and lost all traces of the Igbo's sense of hardwork leading to success and victory, Igbo boy, silence becomes golden. Since when diid 419 qualify as hardwork?

Posted by Zeb on Apr 06 2010
Gbosa to Ribadu. Nigeria must move forward

Posted by Nike ao on Apr 06 2010
@ igboboy: "Ribadu did well as the head of EFCC exept his handling of Chief Nwude's case after all, he paid back everything so why not leave him alone, " you say! It is quite clear from the tone, tenor and illogic of your response that you are an unrepentant 419er! You and your ilk are the ones giving igbo boys a very baAAAAAD reputation! If we extend your 'logic' to its illogical conclusion, we should also leave armed robbers alone to continue enjoying their illgotten wealth so long as their heist is spent in Nigeria.For the likes of you, that's 'development funds". Please, if you have nothing reasonable to say, and lost all traces of the Igbo's sense of hardwork leading to success and victory, Igbo boy, silence becomes golden. Since when did 419 qualify as hardwork?

Posted by Igbo Boy. on Apr 06 2010
Everybody is entitiled to their own opinion and that includes you Nike ao. Bring the money home all you huslers out there so as to develop the country for that is a good thing to do unless you think otherwise. In the most recent UN Financial report, Nigerians abroad remitted US$10.Billion dolars into the country last year. These amount went into different projects as well as looking after our loved onces which includes you Nike and your likes. Not every Igbo boy that is young and successful is a 419er as they make you lots to believe. We work hard and negotiate hard and are the best in every department we find ourselves including 419. Do you have a problem with that.

Posted by Dvies on Apr 06 2010
Ribadu is NOT a saint.

Posted by Neyo on Apr 06 2010
Nobody is saying Ribadu is a saint. But why did Farida's EFCC waited this long to probe Ribadu's sales of seized properties from Nwude and Co. All these noise and propaganda of probes and interim indictments on Ribadu are just desperate last minute measures to stall his coming back.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by darlingbas(m): 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2010
are we suppose to read all these long post?
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 06, 2010
ibori's agent tongue
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 10:40pm On Apr 06, 2010
oyb:

ibori's agent tongue

This is the very problem in this nation. Short sightedness!. What makes you feel, I do not hate Ibori more than you? Do you know what their likes have done to this nation? Please grow up!.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 06, 2010
their likes have given you the good life . tongue
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 11:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
Dude, what is your problem here? Are you another Ribadu worshipper? Open up, and let me know your stand. I have no problem with Ribadu, but he failed in some areas, and that is all.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Oboma1(m): 12:54am On Apr 07, 2010
oyb:

ibori's agent tongue

This is the level of intelligence from many blinded fools, who do not correct mistakes from those they feel are good, and continue to knock on the heads of those killing this nation. It is a shame!
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 1:44am On Apr 07, 2010
Sale of assets: Ribadu lied – EFCC
By FAITH HASSAN

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has described a statement by its former Chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on the disposal of assets of convicted persons as insincere and fraudulent. While reacting to a statement by Ribadu through his lawyer, Charles Musa, the anti-graft agency, in its statement signed by its media spokesman, Femi Babafemi, said Musa lied when he said the present Chairman, Farida Waziri, supervised the sale of the assets while Ribadu only investigated and prosecuted the convicts.

“In a reaction to claims by Charles Musa, who is a lawyer to Ribadu, that the present EFCC Chairman, Mrs. Farida Waziri, supervised the sale of the assets of former Bayelsa State governor, DSP Alamieyeseigha, and those of Emmanuel Nwude, the commission said the lawyer was being economical with the truth.

“It is obvious that Musa lied in his statement when he claimed that Ribadu only investigated and prosecuted Alamieyeseigha and Nwude’s matters while Waziri sold their assets.
“The question then is, was Waziri the EFCC chairman in 2006 when Alamieyeseigha and Nwude’s assets were sold in breach of EFCC Establishment Act and Extant Financial Regulations or was it Waziri that supervised how the proceeds were diverted then? Was Waziri the EFCC chairman in 2006 when all of Alamieyeseigha’s property in Port Harcourt and Abuja were sold to the same person under the guise of two different legal non- entities?” the anti-graft commission asked.

According to its statement, the EFCC said though it was not aware of how the report being disputed by Musa got to the media, it confirmed that some of the facts in the media reports were part of the findings of a committee which had in 2009 worked on the disposal of assets of convicted persons.

According to the statement, Waziri had on assumption of office in June 2008 invited Ribadu to come and provide information on case files and assets of convicted persons whose lawyers had written petitions alleging shady deals in the sale of their property since there was no proper handing over but Ribadu took the commission to court.
Subsequently, the statement said a committee was formed to ascertain the entirety of assets seized by the commission from inception to date, among others.
“The committee later turned in a report which raised mind bogging observations on the sale of Alamieyeseigha, Nwude and Tafa Balogun’s assets.

“Musa may still need to tell Nigerians and, indeed, the world why his statement failed to explain the sale of Tafa Balogun’s property. Could it be because there was no reason to attribute that to Waziri or because he was scared of mentioning that out of nine companies that bought the property, six of them are fake companies?
“He needs another statement to explain the individuals behind these ghost companies and why the bulk of the houses were sold to them at ridiculously cheap prices. Or could it also be because he was scared of letting the public know that the property were sold at rates below the value of the land they were built on because the same person was the valuer, seller and cashier?
“If Musa has started shifting blame at this point, what will he do if he sees the entire report of the committee? We like to remind Musa that these are atrocities that are better defended before a competent court of law rather than an attempt to blackmail in the media,” EFCC said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/apr/07/newsbreak-07-04-2010-001.htm
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 1:47am On Apr 07, 2010
selingel:

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has described a statement by its former Chairman, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on the disposal of assets of convicted persons as insincere and fraudulent. While reacting to a statement by Ribadu through his lawyer, Charles Musa, the anti-graft agency, in its statement signed by its media spokesman, Femi Babafemi, said Musa lied when he said the present Chairman, Farida Waziri, supervised the sale of the assets while Ribadu only investigated and prosecuted the convicts.

“In a reaction to claims by Charles Musa, who is a lawyer to Ribadu, that the present EFCC Chairman, Mrs. Farida Waziri, supervised the sale of the assets of former Bayelsa State governor, DSP Alamieyeseigha, and those of Emmanuel Nwude, the commission said the lawyer was being economical with the truth.

“It is obvious that Musa lied in his statement when he claimed that Ribadu only investigated and prosecuted Alamieyeseigha and Nwude’s matters while Waziri sold their assets.
“The question then is, was Waziri the EFCC chairman in 2006 when Alamieyeseigha and Nwude’s assets were sold in breach of EFCC Establishment Act and Extant Financial Regulations or was it Waziri that supervised how the proceeds were diverted then? Was Waziri the EFCC chairman in 2006 when all of Alamieyeseigha’s property in Port Harcourt and Abuja were sold to the same person under the guise of two different legal non- entities?” the anti-graft commission asked.

According to its statement, the EFCC said though it was not aware of how the report being disputed by Musa got to the media, it confirmed that some of the facts in the media reports were part of the findings of a committee which had in 2009 worked on the disposal of assets of convicted persons.

According to the statement, Waziri had on assumption of office in June 2008 invited Ribadu to come and provide information on case files and assets of convicted persons whose lawyers had written petitions alleging shady deals in the sale of their property since there was no proper handing over but Ribadu took the commission to court.
Subsequently, the statement said a committee was formed to ascertain the entirety of assets seized by the commission from inception to date, among others.
“The committee later turned in a report which raised mind bogging observations on the sale of Alamieyeseigha, Nwude and Tafa Balogun’s assets.

“Musa may still need to tell Nigerians and, indeed, the world why his statement failed to explain the sale of Tafa Balogun’s property. Could it be because there was no reason to attribute that to Waziri or because he was scared of mentioning that out of nine companies that bought the property, six of them are fake companies?
“He needs another statement to explain the individuals behind these ghost companies and why the bulk of the houses were sold to them at ridiculously cheap prices. Or could it also be because he was scared of letting the public know that the property were sold at rates below the value of the land they were built on because the same person was the valuer, seller and cashier?
“If Musa has started shifting blame at this point, what will he do if he sees the entire report of the committee? We like to remind Musa that these are atrocities that are better defended before a competent court of law rather than an attempt to blackmail in the media,” EFCC said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/apr/07/newsbreak-07-04-2010-001.htm

The many troubles of Nuhu Ribadu!.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by tundelola(m): 1:59am On Apr 07, 2010
pls, kindly lets leave this innocent, patriotic,loyalist and a very good servant alone!!!!!!!!!!!! he has been used and dumped!!! actually, he has tried his best 4 this nation!!
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Nobody: 3:10am On Apr 07, 2010
tundelola:

pls, kindly lets leave this innocent, patriotic,loyalist and a very good servant alone!!!!!!!!!!!! he has been used and dumped!!! actually, he has tried his best 4 this nation!!

Sounds like you the originator of this thread is tired of debating youself and decided to open a new handle in other to comment.

carry on debating yourself for no one will join in this senseless debate.

It has been debated over and over and just about everyone has said everything there is to say about Ribadu.

So what value is this new debate? Whatever is your personal opinion of Ribadu, keep it for yourself; we have formed ours already and not ready to change it.

[size=18pt]MODERATOR PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by blunt1990: 8:57am On Apr 07, 2010
Nuhu Ribadu and Nasir El Rufai are the worst public office holders in Nigeria and deserve critical examination day in day out while Rilwan Lukeman, Aminu Jibril, Isa Bio, Jerry Gana, Adamu Aliero, Mike Aondoaka, Magnus Kpakol, John Odey, Mbaekwe, Marwa and many others have lead us many steps close to promise land and do not deserve any form of critical examination.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by 18platoon(m): 9:09am On Apr 07, 2010
selingel = farida waziri.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by otukpo(f): 9:35am On Apr 07, 2010
I am begining to suspect that Jonathan has a hidden agenda for dropping charges against Ribadu and daring to bring him back in govt.

Maybe he wants to use Ribadu to hunt any perceived opponent for his 2011 cos Ribadu is good at that.
Ribadu stinks, just like the people he accused.

It is only time that wld place Ribadu where he truely belongs in this nation.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by ud4u: 9:41am On Apr 07, 2010
Was he not the person that cleared OBJ, Bode Goerge and Co. of corrupt practice? and now where is Bode?. Abeg make we hear word jare. Saint koo Pope nii.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 11:59am On Apr 07, 2010
18 platoon:

selingel = farida waziri.

Another Ribadu worshipper. Abeg comot for road make I pass.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Otobroto(f): 10:06pm On Apr 07, 2010
selingel:

Another Ribadu worshipper. Abeg comot for road make I pass.

Na wah oh!.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by henry101(m): 5:14am On Apr 08, 2010
Nuhu Ribadu is a crimainal.
It's a fact, He benefitted from Obj's govt. esp. in promotion.
My people hw do u explain a police officer with a rank of an Assistant commisioner of Police to an assistant Inspector General of police within a short time.
And to crown it all, It's on record that He didnt attend the mandatory NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF POLICY AND STRATEGIC STUDIES, kuru, Jos.
U attend dis institute before u bcome a commisioner of police or an AIG(not sure).
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by selingel: 9:32am On Apr 08, 2010
henry101:

Nuhu Ribadu is a crimainal.
It's a fact, He benefitted from Obj's govt. esp. in promotion.
My people hw do u explain a police officer with a rank of an Assistant commisioner of Police to an assistant Inspector General of police within a short time.
And to crown it all, It's on record that He didnt attend the mandatory NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF POLICY AND STRATEGIC STUDIES, kuru, Jos.
U attend dis institute before u bcome a commisioner of police or an AIG(not sure).

I wonder why people will not see that, at least Ribadu had fault too in OBJ's government. To them, Ribadu is a saint, and never had self-interest while in government. People like that, will never go far in life, becos of the way they reason.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by Afam(m): 10:24am On Apr 08, 2010
Ribadu is not a saint but he is the best anti corruption chief that we have seen in this country.

At least, we have realized that corruption could be tackled and the once powerful politicians can be investigated and tried. When Ribadu was around fraudsters relocated, politicians could not steal easily or flaunt the stolen wealth in public as they used to do, 419ners took their flashy cars to the village to avoid answering questions.

So, Ribadu is not a saint, he is not perfect, in my opinion he made some mistakes but in spite of these things he remains the best we have ever seen and may ever see considering the circumstances surrounding his tenure and the nature of opposition he faced not to talk about the risk to his life.

Ribadu is more of an asset than a liability and yes Ribadu stands tall as far as fighting corruption is concerned.

So, can we then leave out the issue of Ribadu being saint because I don't think he is and I don't think anyone is claiming he is one.
Re: Is Nuhu Ribadu Really What Many Thinks He Is? Critical Examination Of Ribadu. by azorjiu(m): 10:45am On Apr 08, 2010
Ribadu is not a saint but he is the best anti corruption chief that we have seen in this country.

At least, we have realized that corruption could be tackled and the once powerful politicians can be investigated and tried. When Ribadu was around fraudsters relocated, politicians could not steal easily or flaunt the stolen wealth in public as they used to do, 419ners took their flashy cars to the village to avoid answering questions.

My sentiments.

(1) (Reply)

Cool Article - 7-point Agenda For Goodluck Jonathan / Nigeria’s Ranking As 59th Most Corrupt Nation Unacceptable - Minister / Iyabo Obasanjo Snubs Bankole At Book Launch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.