Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today (14059 Views)

Best Loan Apps Without BVN In Nigeria / Banks Fear Rush As CBN Threatens To Bar Customers Without BVN, NIN By April / Banks Get 30-day Deadline To Close Accounts Without BVN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by BuhariCarryGo: 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2018
THE deadline for customers of Microfinance Banks (MfBs) and Other Financial Institutions (OFIs) without Bank Verification Number (BVN) linked to their accounts has elapsed today, January 1,2018.

If the directive by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) earlier in the year is anything to go by, such customers will be unable to make withdrawals from their accounts henceforth.

The BVN enrolment is a brainchild of the apex bank and the Bankers’ Committee, a body of banks’ managing directors and the CBN.

This is coming as the initial deadline set for July 31, this year was extended. The new directive indicated that by December 31, 2017, all customers of financial institutions operating in the country are expected to have had their BVN.

The CBN, again, assured Nigerians that the BVN is geared towards financial system stability, while ensuring Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) customers are identified and known, so as to prevent those that will use the banking system as a platform to carryout illegal activities.

The CBN had in November written a letter to the Deposit Money Banks in the country, asking them to submit list of customers and bank accounts without bank verification number.

The letter came after a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the CBN and 19 banks to freeze accounts without the BVN and got an interim order seeking the forfeiture of deposits in the accounts without theBVN, among others.

Government has said that there were about 45 million accounts in the banking sector withoutBVN as at February this year. According to the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS), there were 97.57 million accounts in the banking system as at February, 2017, with only 51.72 million of them having BVN. The BVN was introduced in 2014 to ensure that all bank accounts have biometric identification of their owners.

There is raging debate on the legality or otherwise of the planned forfeiture of funds in such accounts without BVN.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/deadline-bank-accounts-without-bvn-elapses-today/

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by LionDeLeo: 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
So they have been operating accs without BVN?

Why my bank come dey threaten about 3 yrs ago?

11 Likes

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by 9jaPromo(f): 12:24pm On Jan 01, 2018
LionDeLeo:
So they have been operating accs without BVN?

Why my bank come dey threaten about 3 yrs ago?

Trust naija now...
For naija dead man sign up for office
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by drnoel: 12:42pm On Jan 01, 2018
ManirBK:
Noted!!!

Lol, no vex. Buhari no need enemies. He is his own enemy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by ManirBK: 12:51pm On Jan 01, 2018
drnoel:

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by ManirBK: 12:51pm On Jan 01, 2018
drnoel:

5 Likes

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by pawesome(m): 1:55pm On Jan 01, 2018
Where is the money to even put inside the account

2 Likes

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 01, 2018
Wash
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by chiefolododo(m): 1:56pm On Jan 01, 2018
K
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Aniwhyte(m): 1:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
Na wa ooooo
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by geostrata(m): 1:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
so what will happen to my money?

Hahan, Pastors have been making prophesies. Let me make my own. Hear the word of the prophet. In 2018, rain will fall. In 2018, sun will shine. In 2018, people will sleep in the night and wake up in the morning. In 2018, people will pay their house rent, children school fees, utility bills etc. If these things do not come to pass, them I am not a child of God.For prayer and counselling, call me.God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by seunlayi(m): 1:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
Extra coins for buhari

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by ipobarecriminals: 1:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
angry
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Horsebok(m): 2:00pm On Jan 01, 2018
Enough time given already
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Okay
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Dollabiz: 2:03pm On Jan 01, 2018
Oh..I'm late
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by deafeyez: 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2018
These bloggers eh. Una dey go remind these people wetin dem don forget.
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
My pension account no get BVN o angry

Any IBTC Pension staff here? Abeg wetin I go do now.
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2018
smiley
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by loomer: 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2018
Make them keep my #18 I no do bvn
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by BruncleZuma: 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2018
I don't have an account...come and beat me.

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by oluFELAxy(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
Yeh! My money! [Faints]

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by oluFELAxy(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
Yeh! My money! [Faints]

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by usba: 2:12pm On Jan 01, 2018
Same fools will start wailing again that government wants to cease their money.
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by kokomaster3d: 2:13pm On Jan 01, 2018
So what will happen to those who will open account in the feature

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Kenshinmunac(m): 2:21pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ahn Ahn how many deadlines these people they give self?

2 Likes

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by highchief1: 2:23pm On Jan 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 01, 2018
I dash Emefiele and his boss my 30billion
Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by fistonati(m): 2:29pm On Jan 01, 2018
Campaign fund already available without adverts. Well timed.

1 Like

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by AreaFada2: 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
usba:
Same fools will start wailing again that government wants to cease their money.
Dude no need to insult people. Naija thing is never that easy.

A large number of people operating accounts live in diaspora.

Not many can visit frequently. When people began operating accounts they never knew BVN would come up.

Many diaspora people even paid hard currency to do BVN at designated centres abroad. Yet not all could get banks in 9ja to link them to their 9ja accounts.

Imagine a case that one goes to 9ja for urgent stuff. Goes to bank branch to give BVN number. Then they say one of his middle names did not show in the account opened like 10 years ago. Though the middle name clearly shows in the ID used to open the bank account then. A copy of which the bank still has. The client has the ID too with him.

Staff at the bank start arguing among themselves if it is ok to update with BVN. After much talk they now ask him to go to high court and swear an affidavit! No time to do it as he must fly back to his base within few hours.

It was supposed to be just walking into the bank and update. Naija system has a way of complicating simple things.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Deadline For Bank Accounts Without BVN Elapses Today by okotv(m): 2:57pm On Jan 01, 2018
well done mine ages ago, no need to panic

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buying Itunes and Amazon @ Good rates / Bitmama Acquires Payday / Nigerians Can Now Register Businesses In 2 Days – Presidential Council

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.