Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,142 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony (33732 Views)

Winners Chapel: We Have Received 36 Testimonies Of Healing Of Coronavirus Plague / Why Is RCCG And Adeboye So Tribalistic? / Pastor EA Adeboye: Biography, Age, Family, History Of Rccg And Many More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Nobody: 10:04am On Jan 07, 2018
Focus on Church Growth in Nigeria:
ADEBOYE'S REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD AND OYEDEPO'S LIVING FAITH CHURCH; ONE OF THE GREATEST TESTIMONIES OF INTER-CHURCH HARMONY IN GLOBAL MEGA-CHURCH HISTORY.

By Leke Beecroft

"And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devil's in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: FOR HE THAT IS NOT AGAINST US IS FOR US".

As the Church continues into the latter of the last days, it seems that strife, rivalry and competition are more pronounced than ever. From the days of Christ aptly described by the above scripture to the schism between Apostles Paul and Barnabas over John Mark in Acts chapters 12 and 15, the Church began to experience strife in various dimensions as it grew globally.

The Catholic Church came as a result of fusion of religion and political power and catholicism soon ruled the world. From thence came forth the Church of England (Anglican) and Lutheran Churches. Soon the Methodist Church resulted as a reaction to the Anglican doctrines. The Baptists also emerged due to dissatisfaction with the Church of England. These events and many others leading to the growth of orthodox christianity globally over about 1,900 years can be considered as the First Wave of Church Growth and spread.

In the early 20th century, the Azusa Revival by Seymour and Charles Parnham's (who also left the Methodist Church) pentecostal revival happened at about the same time leading to the evolution of pentecostalism. The Second wave led to the birth of the Apostolic Faith Mission, Assemblies of God, Church of God in Christ (the oldest black church), The Apostolic Church and Foursquare Church among many others. These churches spread to Africa in the first part of the 20th century.

The 3rd wave period varied around the world; in Africa and specifically Nigeria, it's most populous nation, it began with the advent of the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) who broke off from TAC in 1940, the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) in 1952, a departure from the pervasive white garment churches at the time and the Church of God Mission in 1968 led by Idahosa (formerly of the Assemblies of God). Soon, Nigerian universities produced indigenous university graduates who led the. 4th wave led by Kumuyi's 'Deeper Life', Tunde Joda's 'Christ Chapel',Mike Okonkwo's 'The Redeemed Evangelical Mission' (TREM) Oyedepo's 'Living Faith', Wale Oke's 'Sword of the Spirit', Olubi Johnson's 'Scripture Pasture', Omobude's 'New Covenant', Oritsejafor's 'Word of Life', Olukoya's 'Mountain of Fire' (MFM) 'and Oyakhilome's 'Christ Embassy' to mention but a few. The 5th (Joshua Generation) and 6th (Generation Next) waves are subjects which will be discussed in two of my upcoming books.

The 3rd wave in America led to the emergence of pentecostal greats such as Kenneth Hagin, Oral Roberts and Jack Coe. At some point, Kenneth Hagin, Oral Roberts, Gordon Lindsay and T.L Osborn all lived within the same block of flats. Coe who was affiliated to Assemblies of God and eventually had to part ways with them was dynamic and enthusiastic in his beliefs. Coe knew Oral Roberts and was taken in by the size of Robert’s 3,000 capacity revival tent. One day Coe went to a Roberts’s tent meeting and measured his tent. He then ordered a larger one. Subsequently, Coe announced that his tent was the largest in the world. He employed about 80 men which was considered a success at that time. He however kept his men on their toes, always sending them to measure other tents to ensure that none ever passed his. He died before he was 40. Such stories of competition and rivalry have continued to date, often being the case that the larger the ministries involved, the greater the rivalry.

Such rivalries even in Nigeria, partly led to the formation of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) by Idahosa and others. The newly ordained leader of the RCCG, Enoch Adeboye on his part played a major role in the commissioning of Oyedepo to start the Living Faith Church in 1983. He prophesied "This ministry shall be great". At the time, RCCG had 38 branches including one outside Nigeria (Ghana) while Oyedepo started church in December 1983 in Kaduna with 3 other members.

I first got to know of the RCCG in 1993 as a teenager through a RCCG calender. My parents had newly moved to Lagos. This seemed to be a fast growing church and I took interest in it. In 1997, I got to meet Pastor Adeboye with my Dad at the Redemption Camp. Four things struck me firsthand. First was Adeboye's humility and second, the mammoth crowd at the Holy Ghost Night-the largest Christian gathering in Nigeria. Third was the size of the venue of the meeting and fourth was the expansive land called the 'Redemption Camp'. My first meeting with Oyedepo was in 1989 when he displayed the architectural model of the soon to be constructed 'Garden of Faith' at the. Kongo Conference Hotel, Zaria. I thought it was simply too ambitious; it was going to be the largest church building in northern Nigeria. In 1996, I walked into the Garden of Faith. Again, I was in the Faith Tabernacle, a sequel to the Garden of Faith in 1999 at dedication. I could tell by the late 90s that these two churches were going to 'reign'. However, as was normally said at the time, the church reigns were seasonal and would only last a while before other ministries took over. Say, 3, 4 or 5 years. Examples of churches which had previously 'reigned' were commonly mentioned.

At the foundation laying of Faith Tabernacle, I went with a number of RCCG members (Redeemed Christian Fellowship, Yabatech), also students, who were keen to know one fact :how many acres was Canaanland? Oyedepo as if knowing the minds of his church members made a profound statement during that event which struck deep "We are not in a competition, we are in a commission". My Dad referred to that statement after the service. From then till date, the two leaders have together and independently made statements and taken actions that have kept members in a good place. A place where they see each other as brethren and not rivals. Stories abound of relationships gone sour but this has stood the test of time.

It may be necessary to at this point mention some of the testimonies of these two ministries headquartered within the same location, Ogun State, Nigeria to understand the magnitude of greatness they've had to manage. RCCG in 64 years has established over 32,000 branches in 140 countries while Living Faith has in 35 years established about 8,000 in 60 countries and often builds the largest single church in every city of Nigeria and many cities of Africa with services held live online in about 160 nations. The two ministries have also run successful aviation organisations to the chagrin of critics. RCCG's Redemption Camp is about 40,000 acres while Canaanland is about 17,000 acres making them the two largest Christian estates in the world. The sheer size of Redemption Camp has led to court cases with two other mega churches. Providence however located RCCG at Lagos-Ibadan Expressway while placing LFC at the other end, the Ota-Idiroko Expressway. The RCCG oversees about 200 nursery and primary schools while Living Faith Church (LFC) runs about 160. RCCG owns about 10 secondary schools while LFC administers 20. RCCG owns Redeemers University while LFC presently runs 2, Covenant and Landmark. The two churches own two of the largest Christian residential estates in the world. Presently, RCCG is constructing the 3km by 3km Arena, considered the largest open air pavilion in the world while LFC is constructing an ultra-modern 100,000 capacity Faith Theatre which is double in size of 50,000 seat Faith Tabernacle, currently the world's largest church auditorium.

These however wane when considering that in 1998, the RCCG gathered by CNN estimates, about 7.2 million people, considered the largest gathering of Christians in the world at Lekki, Nigeria. The numbers haven't necessarily decreased and church membership for a church less than 70 years is in excess of 6 million. LFC on the other hand gathers weekly, what is considered the largest gathering of christians, (numbering in excess of 400,000) anywhere in the world.

That these two ministries have handled growth well has not come without challenges. From differences in doctrines, to perception by overzealous members. The unity in leadership has ensured the friendship between members. The last elections in Nigeria brought up a RCCG Vice-Presidential candidate as well as an incumbent President who visited Canaanland weeks to the election. Elections came and went and the fallout was managed properly. A few weeks later, Vice President Osinbajo visited Covenant University hosted by Oyedepo. In one of my interviews conducted with a very successful and senior pastor of RCCG in 2011, he asked me "I used to think Oyedepo was a noisemaker and that we only had to contend with Catholics, Baptists and Methodists; please tell me, where does Oyedepo get all that money" ? The corporate tithing doctrine practiced by LFC seems to be a sort of icing on the cake of this relationship.

It is my earnest prayer that long after these patriarchs are departed and if Jesus tarries, the two ministries will not only continue their roles in the expansion of the Kingdom, but remain a model of inter-church harmony even till the end of the age.

"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another"
Romans 12:5

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=845147855629087&id=444807728996437

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Nobody: 10:12am On Jan 07, 2018
"This Ministry(LFC) will Succeed whether you support it or Not. The Glory would be so heavy, but don't let the Glory blind your eyes to the Rider of the Ass because when Jesus alighted from the Ass nobody knew where the Ass went"

EA Adeboye September 17, 1983(living faith had 3 members)

"The Best is yet to Come(Regarding LFC) because when we come back in the Next five years it shall be said that God had done more in five years than in the past 35 years"

EA Adeboye May, 2016

“Every prophet sent to you is ordained a father. Elisha shouted: ‘My father! My father!‘ He was the son of Sherphat. Elijah was not his biological father, but he was a prophet sent to him…Every prophet sent to you is sent as a father, not as brother, not as an uncle, not as a friend. I have enjoyed this kind of covering all my life.” .....There is no Controversy, the less is blessed of the Greater. I have the Life of EA Adeboye flowing through me"

D.O Oyedepo October, 2017(After escaping a near plane crash a day to his birthday)

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
whatever!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Ulue: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
smiley

God is good......

13 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by jbreezy: 4:32pm On Jan 07, 2018
K

2 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by teewhydope(m): 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
jbreezy:
K

Just like DC or Marvel heroes coming together to form Universe ScamVerse

grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by hucienda: 4:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
Both are non-orthodox, so no surprises.

Besides LFC ... got one thinking of the famous football club in Merseyside.

Besides, seun and lalasticlala, an observation -

Why does one have to literally take an e-oath so to speak before being able to comment on Islamic topics and same is deprived Christian topics? Both are Abrahamic religions and should not be seen where you favour one over the other - especially in terms of expression of views and censorship.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by ProjectNaija(m): 4:35pm On Jan 07, 2018
Let's just say they are partners in crime. tongue
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Jamiubond009(m): 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
International merger and tithe collection enterprises

1 Like 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Pavore9: 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
hucienda:
Both are non-orthodox, so no surprises.

Besides LFC ... got one thinking of the famous football club in Merseyside.

Liverpool just flashed through my mind! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by hopefulLandlord: 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
Business men supporting each other ,that's the way it should be .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Benekruku(m): 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2018
Business empires!

Same vision, Same scope!

Impoverishing through mental slavery

1 Like

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by PitexyBaba(m): 4:37pm On Jan 07, 2018
God Is Great. God Has Done A Lot Of Wonders Through Him... Praise God.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by estolaB(f): 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hmmmmm
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by mccoy47(m): 4:38pm On Jan 07, 2018
Why won't they?

2 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by blackbeau1(f): 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2018
Interchurch harmony ? I seriously doubt that . I mean people from redeemed think Winners are loud and don't practice actual Christianity because they wear trousers , don't cover their hair and many other differences in doctrine. If only they'd realize that doctrines are man made and we are serving one God. I think it would be nice if the pastors could schedule a program together or something to show their sheep that we are not fighting a cold war.

5 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Elnino4ladies: 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
Two Scammers

2 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Benekruku(m): 4:41pm On Jan 07, 2018
ProjectNaija:
Let's just say they are partners in crime. tongue

Seconded!
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jan 07, 2018
A New Dawn In Christ Jesus is my new realm.

9 Likes

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by AngelicBeing: 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2018
cool
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by StarUp: 4:43pm On Jan 07, 2018
Sometimes I just feel like cry for people criticizing these churches. When you visit Canaan Land Ota as well as Redemption Camp, you will know there's a divine hand controlling the atmosphere.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Oyindidi(f): 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Hmmm
grin grin say it
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by dahunsy(f): 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
It is well
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by pointstores(m): 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Wow

1 Like

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by hopefulLandlord: 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2018
Oyindidi:
grin grin say it
I have said the little I want to cheesy
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Skyfornia(m): 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
This article carry weight

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by mfonab: 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2018
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by anochuko01(m): 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2018
the love winners members have for rccg is just great. I'm a proud member of both families

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Oyindidi(f): 4:48pm On Jan 07, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

I have said the little I want to cheesy
grin lemme check
Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by Oyindidi(f): 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Business men supporting each other ,that's the way it should be .
You no even dey patronize them but you call them businessmengrin

1 Like

Re: RCCG And LFC: One Of The Greatest Testimonies Of Inter-Church Harmony by cold(m): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2018
Church business is good business

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor's Lover Dies During Abortion In Kaduna State / The Antichrist Will Be A Gay World Ruler? / Ogun Preacher Dies During Sermon Against Ritualists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.