Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,341 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

DNA Match/ Ekiti State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / DNA Match/ Ekiti State (738 Views)

DNA: Ooni Hosts, Renames Americans With Ile-ife Root (photos) / Olukere Of Ikere Ekiti Now Recognized As An Oba In Ekiti State / Photos From The Procession Of Elehinle Festival In Okemesi, Ekiti State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DNA Match/ Ekiti State by Patterson504(m): 2:34pm On Jan 11, 2018
Hello all, My name is Lawrence. I'm from New Orleans, LA. A lot of people across the world are starting to use DNA testing to find out where they come from and distant relatives. It is very popular in America and black Americans are no exception. This morning, I was contacted by a distant relative from Ekiti state. She is Yoruba. I was really excited to finally hear from someone who I share a common ancestor with... Could anyone tell me more about Ekiti state and the Yoruba?
Obviously, our common ancestor was taken as a slave to America. My distant cousin surname is Fadogba.... I've read that Ekiti state has a lot of educators... I'm pursuing a teaching career right now... My DNA is split between Benin, Mali, and Cameroon... I am unfortunately 13% European... I'm 85% African and 2% Native American.... Could I fit in with the Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by scholes0(m): 4:13pm On Jan 11, 2018
Welcome to the Fold of the largest ethnic group in Black Africa.

I hereby name you Akinluyi Adeola

Akinluyi is a Yoruba name that is very specific to the Ekiti area where your ancestors come from.
It means “The brave (You) is deserving of Honor”
Adeola is a general Yoruba name.

4 Likes

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by Patterson504(m): 5:00pm On Jan 11, 2018
Wow... Thank You! I like the name..lol... I wish I knew the life he/she lived before captivity and slavery in America... I am thankful for my ancestor surviving.. I am also happy to know I'm part of t he Yoruba...

1 Like

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by scholes0(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2018
Patterson504:
Wow... Thank You! I like the name..lol... I wish I knew the life he/she lived before captivity and slavery in America... I am thankful for my ancestor surviving.. I am also happy to know I'm part of t he Yoruba...

The Ekiti subgroup of the Yoruba number over 4 milllion.
Their special delicacy is Pounded yam and a series of delicious soups and stews such as Ishapa ( a delicous soup made from a special type of roselle plant native to West Africa), Egusi, Efo riro (Vegetable soups) etc

You would have to ask your DNA match more questions about his/her specific hometown or village since Ekiti has got too many of those.

Once again, welcome.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by lx3as(m): 10:41pm On Jan 11, 2018
Patterson504:
Hello all, My name is Lawrence. I'm from New Orleans, LA. A lot of people across the world are starting to use DNA testing to find out where they come from and distant relatives. It is very popular in America and black Americans are no exception. This morning, I was contacted by a distant relative from Ekiti state. She is Yoruba. I was really excited to finally hear from someone who I share a common ancestor with... Could anyone tell me more about Ekiti state and the Yoruba?
Obviously, our common ancestor was taken as a slave to America. My distant cousin surname is Fadogba.... I've read that Ekiti state has a lot of educators... I'm pursuing a teaching career right now... My DNA is split between Benin, Mali, and Cameroon... I am unfortunately 13% European... I'm 85% African and 2% Native American.... Could I fit in with the Yoruba?

Ekiti people are central Yorubas just like Ifes, Ijesas and Igbomina. Their major townships are Ado (Ekiti State capital), Akure (Ondo State capital, and although, the people of Akure South, North and Ifedore are trying to calve new identify for themselves), Ikere, Ikole, Otun, Ijero, Aramoko, Iyin, Ido, Efon, Oye, Ise, Omuo, Ilawe, etc
Ekitiland is mainly highlands dominated by high and mighty rocks, mountains, freshwater and springs.
It was initially been populated by 'ulesun' people, well related to Nok people. The land was also occupied earlier by people we can only refer to as 'Atlantis'. The reminants were the ulesuns headed by an 'Ifa' diviner by the name 'Agboniregun', the son of Orunmila who was in the same league with Ogun, Obatala, Elegbara, etc. Hence, there are lots of Ekitis with names like, Fayemi, Fasogba, Falayi, Faseyi, Faluyi, etc.

Later, the arrival of migrants from 'The East' (probably the remnants of Aramaic people) in Ile Ife brought a lot of migrants to Ekiti area and these people continuously migrated to Ekitiland, took over the land from Ulesuns and rule the land up till date. Below are few examples of ulesun words:

English. Yoruba. Ulesun

Goat. Ewure. Ideregbe

leave. ewe. eira

Pap. Eko. Orin

Pawpaw. Ibepe. Ogolomasi

Dog. Aja. Okili, etc.

To Ekitis, Aba ( Abba) means Father unlike other Yorubas that say 'Baba', etc.

Ekiti people are very straightforward; they can lay down their lives for whatever they believe in. They are well known for their intelligent and academic pursuits. They are good, fearless and great warriors who fought Binin and Ibadan to stand-stills during wars; although some of them were sold into slavery earlier. Ekitis have integrated their local slaves of olden days that it's difficult to trace any slave again.

1 Like

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by DarkLover: 12:56am On Jan 12, 2018
Hello man, nice to know that your DNA is 85% Africa, having a distant cousin who put the call true to you, we might rightly assumed you a Nigerian, but you could be any of Igbo, Bini, Ijaw, Yoruba or any minority tribe in the rainforest belts.

Yoruba culture is so sweet and diverse, you'll just gotta love the language and our ways of life. You can visit YouTube and search for each distinct culture that ranges from greetings to music, our history, markets, and most especially watch Yoruba films with subtitles on YouTube, both the ones set in modern and old times. It encompasses our culture.

Hope you'll come down here as an educator/instructor sometimes in future?

2 Likes

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by Patterson504(m): 12:59am On Jan 12, 2018
Wow... thanks for the information... I would really like to visit the land of my ancestor and visit my distant cousin who is a retired teacher in Ekiti...

1 Like

Re: DNA Match/ Ekiti State by Patterson504(m): 1:02am On Jan 12, 2018
Darklover, I would love to come to Nigeria and teach in the summer months (jun-aug).. I am finishing my masters degree in education to teach science grades 4-8th... I'm not sure if Nigeria has the same grade structure as American education systen...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lady Under Spiritual Cleansing Shows Off Zanku Moves, Shocks Spiritualist / Is Ghana, The Greatest Country On The Continent / Six Prominent Styles Of Traditional Music In Igbo Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.