Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,695 members, 7,851,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:06 PM

Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! (6358 Views)

I Need A Reliable And Affordable Host For Joomla And Wordpress. / Tutorial: Create Templates For Joomla, Drupal, Direct Css-based Templates / Php Class For Beginners. Question Will Be Treated With High Priority. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by sandy0000: 11:10am On May 06, 2010
Hi Mcfranc,

I really appreciate your thread.

When I search my site on Google it points to www.mysite.com/Installation/index.php

How can I fix this ? My site is www.my-refuge.com

Looking forward to your assistance.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by sandy0000: 11:38am On May 06, 2010
Hi Mcfranc,

May you kindly assist with my Joomla site, when I search in on Google, it point to

www.boldmediasignage.co.za/installation/index.php

my site is www.my-refuge.com

How can I fix this ?

I would appreciate your assistance.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 5:19pm On May 06, 2010
sandy0000:

Hi Mcfranc,

May you kindly assist with my Joomla site, when I search in on Google, it point to

www.boldmediasignage.co.za/installation/index.php

my site is www.boldmediasignage.co.za

How can I fix this ?

I would appreciate your assistance.

Did you delete the installation file after building your website? or you can just rename it as well so it does not link to it. I think it has something to do with the installation folder or file but lets wait for the boss anyway.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 12:29pm On May 07, 2010
@ Sandy0000,

I just checked your site on google with the search term "Bold Media Print and Signage" and cant find the link www.boldmediasignage.co.za/installation/index.php, instead, i found www.boldmediasignage.co.za. Please let me know if you have resolved the problem before now.

Thanks.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 1:29pm On May 07, 2010
@dhtml, i just sent you a mail.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 4:15pm On May 07, 2010
Today, we will look at the topic: ADDING CONTENT TO YOUR JOOMLA SITE. I believe this area is where most readers of this thread has been waiting for. Your questions and comments are welcomed.

As you are aware, content is the heart of any website hence the need to organise the content. This is where CMS like joomla becomes extremely useful. First you must take the time to think about how the site material will be organized and arranged.

Planning Your Content

Before you begin planning, you need to understand how Joomla organizes content. Joomla uses hierarchical levels, called sections and categories. Joomla also offers the designation of uncategorized content for static content.
Static content includes articles that don’t fit within the site hierarchy (such as a Terms and Conditions page).

Sections and Categories

Each article is stored in a database table and its location is specified
within the hierarchy with an attribution field. This makes it easy to organize content.
The top level is known as sections, the second level is categories. A category in joomla is like a filing cabinet, with each filing cabinet containing one or more articles. If described like a folder hierarchy, the Joomla content
structure might look like this: Section\Category\Article

The highest level contains sections. Under each section are a number of categories. Categories separate the content into topic areas such as FAQs, News, and so on. All sections and categories are modifiable and new types of each can be freely added by the administrator.

In our next tutorial, we shall be creating sections and categories from the back-end as administrators.

Please drop your questions, comments. Happy viewing. grin
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 11:05am On May 15, 2010
Let's have people post their questions, or is everybody getting it right?
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 21, 2010
we are getting it, seems nice learning something new really,

can you continue,
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by olaolaking: 7:27pm On May 21, 2010
In my attempt to copy joomla files to my c/www, it gives warning by asking that if I want to replace it with the one in C.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 7:36pm On May 21, 2010
olaolaking:

In my attempt to copy joomla files to my c/www, it gives warning by asking that if I want to replace it with the one in C.

It means there is a file there that has the same name with one of the file you are copying to that folder so you have to rename or delete it. I think it should be the index folder.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 8:35pm On May 22, 2010
Am glad, you guys are picking interest. I will add more tutorials soon.
@Olaolaking, like Black Revo rightly said, its most likely that you are having a conflicting file name. If you don't have any work started on your joomla site, you may consider deleting all joomla files and replace it with a new one. Don't forget to unzip your files before putting it in your www directory.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by olaolaking: 5:11pm On May 24, 2010
Which one do I rename, is it the joomla index file or the one in the www folder?
I also want to know if this joomla can be used to build a forum or database website
Thanks in advance
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 8:36pm On May 24, 2010
You may rename the earlier one installed in your www directory or completely delete it if you are not having files there.
For forums, you have to create a subdomain or a folder (for example www.yourjoomlasite/forum) and install a forum site like smf there and from your joomla site put a link to the forum. The good thing about it is while installing joomla, it automatically creates a database for you. You can also chose to use another database.

Hope this helps.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by olaolaking: 10:17am On May 25, 2010
OK Now go with the tutorial because I am very keen on knowing how to build a website
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by adpost: 12:16pm On May 25, 2010
RUNNING YOUR UNLIMITED RESELLER HOSTING BUSINESS

Choice247.net provides affordable & reliable Linux and Windows Reseller web hosting for its customers. User-friendly cPanel control panel, unlimited emails and domains, industrial low price are all ideal for you to extend these to your customers.
You will be amazed at how easy, inexpensive and profitable it is to start your very own web hosting company! We provide you with all of the tools and support needed to have your business up and running in only a few minutes time. All of our reseller hosting plans will allow you to create unlimited web sites under your own brand name, with their own prices, packages and features.
As a Choice247.net reseller you will keep 100% of the money you collect!
Best for reselling, make your own plans, set price and resell under your brand. Freedom to host multiple domains in one plan. Manage all domains through a single login interface.

Features
• UNLIMITED Domains
• UNLIMITED Sub Domains
• UNLIMITED Email Accounts
• UNLIMITED MySQL Databases
• UNLIMITED cPanels
• UNLIMITED FTP Accounts
• PRIVATE Name Servers
• FREE Billing Systems
• FREE Domain Reseller Account
• Many Languages Available

Visit our website www.choice247.net for online Chat or call us today

If you have any questions you can email us and contact our team for support.

Thanks,

Choice247 Support Team
01-736-0176, 01- 7369489
eedris@choice247.net
support@choice247.net
http://www.choice247.net
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 12:53pm On May 25, 2010
Now that am getting encouraging responses, lets move on to creating sections and categories from the back-end as administrators.

The sections and categories may seem complex and problematic to understand, but its actually quite easy if we bear in mind the basic principles.

Lets draw analogy from a book. This will give us a good idea of how to structure our site.

Sections:

These are like the parts of a book (Not chapters), like you will have Part I, Part II and so on. Lets say we are going to build a site about Microsoft word, then the sections of your site will look like this:

[list]
[li]Home
Insert
Page layout
References
Mailings etc[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

These book parts (sections) can further be divided into chapters (categories)

Categories

Categories are like the chapters in a book (from our example). This is where you make the chapter structure of your book part (section). For example, under the book part (section) called page layout, you can have chapters (categories) like:

[list]
[li]Theme
Page Setup
Page Backgroud
Paragraph
Arrange[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

Now that we have created sections and categories, lets move on to creating contents
Note: Based on this example (i.e Microsoft word), we have created many sections. Please note that if your website is not as big as the example given, you may just have to create only one section with many categories. Just like saying your book has only one part with many chapters. Okay?  

Content:

Now You are going to write your pages, your articles for your book. Now you need to understand which part (section) and chapter (categories) where your articles or pages must fall into. For instance, if you are writing an article on “how to set margins in Microsoft word”, where do you think the section and category should be? Of course not in insert section or theme category. The article is very suitable for page layout section and page setup category. Are you getting it now? Its that easy.

Now Your site is well structured and your visitors can navigate the with easy to find what they are looking for.
Suppose you misplaced the article or page, the joomla application allows  you to move it into a new section or category with the "move" function of Joomla.

I have been handling some projects now and do not have much time. I would have posted a screenshot for better comprehension. But you may check this video tutorial for more details

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16iMOaeRws&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16iMOaeRws&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 12:59pm On May 25, 2010
Now that am getting encouraging responses, lets move on to creating sections and categories from the back-end as administrators.

The sections and categories may seem complex and problematic to understand, but its actually quite easy if we bear in mind the basic principles.

Lets draw analogy from a book. This will give us a good idea of how to structure our site.

Sections:

These are like the parts of a book (Not chapters), like you will have Part I, Part II and so on. Lets say we are going to build a site about Microsoft word, then the sections of your site will look like this:

Home
Insert
Page layout
References
Mailings etc
[/li]

These book parts (sections) can further be divided into chapters (categories)

Categories

Categories are like the chapters in a book (from our example). This is where you make the chapter structure of your book part (section). For example, under the book part (section) called page layout, you can have chapters (categories) like:

[li]Theme
Page Setup
Page Backgroud
Paragraph
Arrange[li][/li]

Now that we have created sections and categories, lets move on to creating contents
Note: Based on this example (i.e Microsoft word), we have created many sections. Please note that if your website is not as big as the example given, you may just have to create only one section with many categories. Just like saying your book has only one part with many chapters. Okay?

Content:

Now You are going to write your pages, your articles for your book. Now you need to understand which part (section) and chapter (categories) where your articles or pages must fall into. For instance, if you are writing an article on “how to set margins in Microsoft word”, where do you think the section and category should be? Of course not in insert section or theme category. The article is very suitable for page layout section and page setup category. Are you getting it now? Its that easy.

Now Your site is well structured and your visitors can navigate the with easy to find what they are looking for.
Suppose you misplaced the article or page, the joomla application allows you to move it into a new section or category with the "move" function of Joomla.

I have been handling some projects now and do not have much time. I would have posted a screenshot for better comprehension. But you may check this video tutorial for more details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R16iMOaeRws
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 1:36pm On Jul 28, 2010
I was just searching for joomla tutorials and i came across the thread that i started sometimes ago. I actually paused because the bot would not let me continue. It keeps banning and unbanning me.

Let's see if we can all go another distance in the tutorial before the "kidnapper bot" go hold my post ransom again.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by bilionaire: 12:05pm On Jul 29, 2010
i have installed and started but i noticed that images i uploaded are not resizable for me. i can not enlarge or reduce images? i need help am stock!
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2010
Which images are you referring to? Let us know exactly what you are trying to do, from there am sure you can get help

Alternatively, If you have the site on a remote server, post the link here and lets see it together.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by bilionaire: 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2010
Which images are you referring to? Let us know exactly what you are trying to do, from there am sure you can get help

Alternatively, If you have the site on a remote server, post the link here and lets see it together.

At back end, when i upload image from my laptop, i can not adjust the size. i am talking of back end now not front end.

an uploaded image should be resizeable for the space you will put it on the web page/web content page.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2010
Not sure if i get you right,. However, the size of any image you are using should be known and set by you using any of your image software tool (like fireworks). Set the size and upload it to the place you want to. No auto resizing.

If not satisfied, please post a link or screenshot, it will assist in solving the problem.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by feelme3(m): 11:27pm On Aug 20, 2011
mfranc, Been following your tutorials and want to appreciate your taking time out to do this.

Ok. I've downloaded and installed the joomla on ma computer.

My questions:

1. From your analogy on sections and categories, can I assume the sections to be like the menus on navigation. e.g HOME, ABOUT, CONTACT, etc?

2. I downloaded some free joomla templates but I can't seems to change the default template, even after I've selected the desired template and saved, when I run it on my browser it still displays the old template.

I hope you woudn't mind but I ask loads of questions when am in class so I can understand better.

Nice job you are doing here for us.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sygnifik.com Is A Scam SEO Website! Beware!!! / The West Africa Bloggers Conference 2015 Starts Today / Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.