Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,275 members, 7,829,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! (6347 Views)

I Need A Reliable And Affordable Host For Joomla And Wordpress. / Tutorial: Create Templates For Joomla, Drupal, Direct Css-based Templates / Php Class For Beginners. Question Will Be Treated With High Priority. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 8:30pm On Apr 10, 2010
Hi Nairalanders and fellow Webmasters,

I have been a "secret" reader of this category and rarely post. I have over time observed that we do not have many web developers who are conversant with joomla hence i decided to start this topic to help assist my fellow webmasters who are having challenges in developing a joomla site.

Lately, i have spent time more developing sites with joomla than any other web software. So i will help with other pro in the house to resolve some issues. So let's get started.

Why Use Joomla?

So what is this Joomla thing anyway and why should you use it to design your client's website?

Joomla! is a powerful yet easy to use open source content management system to build websites. It is one of the most popular web site software available.

Good open source software like Joomla! is developed and constantly improved by highly skilled individuals volunteering their time to work together for the benefit of everyone who uses the software. The source code of the software is available for everyone to examine so you can know exactly what you are getting as opposed to commercial software which is not open to scrutiny. Since the software is open many developers can create components and extensions to greatly enhance the functionality of a website. Commercial software can be very expensive to achieve the same capabilities that good open source software like Joomla! affords you.

A content management system for a website is a system whereby the HTML for the pages is created dynamically by scripts run from the server as needed. You don't have multiple HTML pages sitting on the server waiting to be viewed. The content of the website is stored as text in a database and is separate from the design. This gives you the ability to create and manage much more content faster than you possibly could using static pages. You can also change the design of the site without disrupting the content and even have different 'themes' or looks for different parts of your website. Adding sections and categories along with new navigation for your site is simple. You can even reorganize your site's content handily and all content is searchable. Content management systems like Joomla! allow users to add and edit the content without needing to know HTML or have technical expertise in Web design.

Making your website look great is so easy with Joomla! There are an abundance of professionally designed themes, many are free, that you can use with your site. Themes can be used as is or even modified to give your site a unique look or conform to your graphic brand as needed.

You can get started by going to http://joomla.org
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 8:33pm On Apr 10, 2010
Let me know if we have interested people in the house, so i can post more tutorials if necessary
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by jjjkkkooo: 9:06pm On Apr 10, 2010
Pleeeease post more tutorials, they are very helpful
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by MonogramDoctor(m): 9:45pm On Apr 10, 2010
You are unique to pass this information. I am waiting for more.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 11:48pm On Apr 10, 2010
I am interested as well.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 11, 2010
You seem to have knowledge of joomla,

I have been a "secret" reader of this category and rarely post. I have over time observed that we do not have many web developers who are conversant with joomla hence i decided to start this topic to help assist my fellow webmasters who are having challenges in developing a joomla site.

I guess you mean off Nland. If na nland, forget it. *DHTML has explored joomla well, Quadrillio also knows how to use it and many others,

Good initiative though, i must comment it, and appeal to omnipotence to put it among that archive of tutorials.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 7:03am On Apr 11, 2010
No please, go on with the tutorial jare. I have been too busy to complete my tutorial. I will try complete
the tutorial thread on template creation in joomla and drupal.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 3:09pm On Apr 11, 2010
Thank you all for responding to the post and your interest.
@Donpuzo, i do not mean that we don't have guys in the house who are good at developing joomla, but my emphasis is on the minority that use this powerful web tool for web development.

So i welcome other contributors to assist in this topic as joomla is very broad and all encompassing open source software. So lets get started.

We will begin with Installing Joomla both on local server (your computer) and remote server(web server installation). We will be working with the Joomla 1.5 version.

Installing on your local Server

You can actually run a web server on your local computer, in other words, your desktop or laptop. This is known as having a localhost.

What you need to pull this off is some software that runs Apache, PHP and MySQL on your computer. These are the same software packages that power websites. There are two popular ones, WAMP and MAMP. But we will work with the first since most people use Windows OS. You can download the latest version here: http://wampserver.com/en/download.php. It is FREE. Install it and you will find an icon on your task bar that looks like a compass, that's the WAMP. Before i forget, WAMP stands for [b]W[/b]indows, [b]A[/b]pache, [b]M[/b]ysql and [b]P[/b]HP. Same for MAMP except for M representing Mac OS. Note: If you run Skype, it interferes with WAMP and so you have to start WAMP without Skype running (and then start Skype if you need it).

Next, go over to www.joomla.org and you will see a link to the download section on the home page, click on it to download joomla 1.5 version. You need to unzip, or unpack the big Joomla files you have onto your local server. Assuming you follow the default setting when installing WAMP, go to the path c:/wamp/www and drop the joomla directory in the www folder.

Now, you are ready to install your joomla site on local server. Expect that in our next tutorial. Comments are welcomed.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
@Donpuzo, i do not mean that we don't have guys in the house who are good at developing joomla, but my emphasis is on the minority that use this powerful web tool for web development.

So i welcome other contributors to assist in this topic as joomla is very broad and all encompassing open source software. So lets get started.

We will begin with Installing Joomla both on local server (your computer) and remote server(web server installation). We will be working with the Joomla 1.5 version.

You can actually run a web server on your local computer, in other words, your desktop or laptop. This is known as having a localhost.

What you need to pull this off is some software that runs Apache, PHP and MySQL on your computer. These are the same software packages that power websites. There are two popular ones, WAMP and MAMP. But we will work with the first since most people use Windows OS. You can download the latest version here: http://wampserver.com/en/download.php. It is FREE. Install it and you will find an icon on your task bar that looks like a compass, that's the WAMP. Before i forget, WAMP stands for Windows, Apache, Mysql and PHP. Same for MAMP except for M representing Mac OS. Note: If you run Skype, it interferes with WAMP and so you have to start WAMP without Skype running (and then start Skype if you need it).

Next, go over to www.joomla.org and you will see a link to the download section on the home page, click on it to download joomla 1.5 version. You need to unzip, or unpack the big Joomla files you have onto your local server. Assuming you follow the default setting when installing WAMP, go to the path c:/wamp/www and drop the joomla directory in the www folder.

Now, you are ready to install your joomla site on local server. Expect that in our next tutorial. Comments are welcomed.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by chuksokey: 7:06pm On Apr 11, 2010
Good topic mcfranc, I will be glad to contribute to this thread, I believe that this tutorial will help our Nigerian webmasters to do good work.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 7:51pm On Apr 11, 2010
ATTENTION: MODERATOR
Hello all, i have an issue here, i actually started this thread with my username as mcfranc. I have tried severally to continue the tutorial i introduced on joomla but have discovered that my post does not show when posted hence this new username. Am using this medium to ask the moderator to look into this as i dont know why this is happening.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 11, 2010
no problemo, i am sure they have seen your message already.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:42am On Apr 12, 2010
, just wondering if this post will show
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:46am On Apr 12, 2010
Thanks Mr. Moderator for fixing the problem. So, let continue with our tutorial. Today we shall learn how to install joomla, first on local server then on web server. Enjoy it!

What you need to pull this off is some software that runs Apache, PHP and MySQL on your computer. These are the same software packages that power websites. There are two popular ones, WAMP and MAMP. But we will work with the first since most people use Windows OS. You can download the latest version here: http://wampserver.com/en/download.php. It is FREE. Install it and you will find an icon on your task bar that looks like a compass, that's the WAMP. Before i forget, WAMP stands for [b]W[/b]indows, [b]A[/b]pache, [b]M[/b]ysql and [b]P[/b]HP. Same for MAMP except for M representing [b]M[/b]ac OS. Note: If you run Skype, it interferes with WAMP and so you have to start WAMP without Skype running (and then start Skype if you need it).

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:51am On Apr 12, 2010
Thanks Mr. Moderator for fixing the problem. So, let continue with our tutorial. Today we shall learn how to install joomla, first on local server then on web server. Enjoy it!

What you need to pull this off is some software that runs Apache, PHP and MySQL on your computer. These are the same software packages that power websites. There are two popular ones, WAMP and MAMP. But we will work with the first since most people use Windows OS. You can download the latest version here: http://wampserver.com/en/download.php. It is FREE. Install it and you will find an icon on your task bar that looks like a compass, that's the WAMP. Before i forget, WAMP stands for Windows, Apache, Mysql and PHP. Same for MAMP except for M representing Mac OS. Note: If you run Skype, it interferes with WAMP and so you have to start WAMP without Skype running (and then start Skype if you need it).

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 10:00am On Apr 12, 2010
@Moderator, though i posted once with my initial username this morning and thereafter couldn't see any of my post again. While i still await you to help fix it, i shall continue with this username.

@webmasters, Thank you all for responding to the post and your interest.

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 12, 2010
well, the post showed, hurray! now please continue your class. . .
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 11:58am On Apr 12, 2010
@Moderator, Thanks for fixing the problem

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by oddworldstranger(m): 2:38pm On Apr 12, 2010
nice tutorials, keep it up,
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by quadrillio(m): 4:03pm On Apr 12, 2010
Go on bro, wouldn't mind contributing.

- SAFE
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 4:07pm On Apr 12, 2010
ATTENTION: Nairaland Moderators,

I just got these message while trying to login to my account - mcfranc:
Sorry mcfranc, you've lost your forum posting privileges.

Reason: Posting a message that seems like spam.
If this is a mistake, please click here to complain.

I have been a member of this great forum for over three years, though i rarely post but when i do, I DON'T POST SPAM. I had an experience yesterday that i suspect necessitated this suspension by your anti-spam software. I started this thread on Joomla training under this category.

In one of my post i discovered that it does not display when posted which made me reposted again. I had to register with a new username -Joomla to lay the complain to the moderator. This morning, i tried posting and it showed but subsequent posting now displayed the above warning.

You may view all my post to confirm this because i have not even posted up to 30 post since inception.

Kindly resolve this issue as many people are interested in the tutorial.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by jjjkkkooo: 6:13pm On Apr 12, 2010
Please Seun and the other technical team help joomla (mcfranc) fix this problem
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 9:39am On Apr 13, 2010
Hi all,

I am yet to get the attention of the moderators to fix the problem am having with my initial username. Meanwhile, i think i should continue with this username until the issue is rectified (Hope i won't be penalized).

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by gameaddict(m): 9:29pm On Apr 13, 2010
Cool tutorial. Got me some weeks of freedom and spent a whole day with it. The result was really great. Made me some cool stuff with 'em plugiins. When you get to the articles part, could you expantiate on it? I'd also like to know how to create sub pages with links to even more sub pages. It's for an idea I'm working on. THANKS.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 13, 2010
Yo, mr gameadict, articles are the primary/main content of joomla. Others like forum and stuffs are by the way. Dont worry, mr franc will get there shortly, just hold on tightly to your chair and dont fall off!
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 9:24am On Apr 14, 2010
Hi all,

am sorry for the repeating same post, that was when i was having issues with my post showing, although my other username have been banned (Have written the moderators though), i will continue the tutorial with this username.

Thank you all for your interest.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Hakeemval: 9:56am On Apr 14, 2010
Hi, I ve been following the joomla tutorial. Pls mcfranc (joomla) can we continue with the tutorial ?
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 10:31am On Apr 14, 2010
Today, we shall be installing Joomla on our local server. So lets get started.

First on your deskstop, start your server by double clicking it. Then, on your taskbar, locate the compass-like icon i.e your WAMP server and launch your local host. Scroll down and you will see Your Project, under it is your joomla directory, click on it to commence the proper installation. Next, we follow it step by step:

Step1: CHOOSE LANGUAGE

Of course, you choose the default which is English.

Step 2: PRE-INSTALLATION CHECK

This part is very important in the installation process, it checks whether all the minimum system requirements are met.

The first set are the expected minimums, if they are red (i.e not met) then you need to find a new environment (change hosts), talk them into changing their environment (upgrading PHP for example). Note that the last item is a permissions issue on a file that is much easier to rectify. You can usually change permissions through the cpanel provided by your host. This tool is generally an industry standard.

The second set is recommended settings. If you don't meet them you can still install Joomla but it you experience problems with functionality and security.

This step is more applicable to web servers with less than minimum requirement because the latest WAMP have all the requirements

Step3: LISENSE

Joomla is released under a GNU/GPL license. You may choose to remove the footer link that says powered by Joomla but you just have to keep the copyright statement in the source code.

Step4: DATABASE CONFIGURATION

This is one of the main steps of the installation process, it’s where you need to enter important information about the database that your Joomla site will use. Joomla 1.5 only really runs on SQL for now.

Database type: Leave it as default
Hostname: “localhost”
Username: root
Password: Leave it blank

Jump straight to creating your database name. Just go back to your task bar and click on the WAMP icon, then click on PhpMyAdmin, a window will come up, see where you have create new database then enter your database name  and click create. That is it. Now go back to the database configuration and enter the database name you just created. , Next

Step5: MAIN CONFIGURATION
I cannot post any screen now because i just exceeded my quota. Meanwhile, lets continue.

The Main Configuration page determines how you will insert content into your site. You have three choices:

Install Sample Data
This installs the default Joomla content that you have probably seen all over the web with “Welcome to Joomla”. Note that is also includes all the menus, navigation links and sections/categories. If you are learning how to use Joomla this is highly recommended. Its easier to adapt and revise than to start from scratch.

You may explore the others on your own later.

Step6: FINISH

At this stage, before you launch your your site, go to the www directory where you have joomla folder in the wamp icon and delete ONLY the INSTALLATION FOLDER. Thereafter, your joomla site is ready for exploration.

Please feel free to ask questions if you encounter any problem.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 5:02pm On Apr 14, 2010
Today, we shall be installing Joomla on our local server. So lets get started.

First on your deskstop, start your server by double clicking it. Then, on your taskbar, locate the compass-like icon i.e your WAMP server and launch your local host. Scroll down and you will see Your Project, under it is your joomla directory, click on it to commence the proper installation. Next, we follow it step by step:

Step1: CHOOSE LANGUAGE

Of course, you choose the default which is English.

Step 2: PRE-INSTALLATION CHECK

This part is very important in the installation process, it checks whether all the minimum system requirements are met.

The first set are the expected minimums, if they are red (i.e not met) then you need to find a new environment (change hosts), talk them into changing their environment (upgrading PHP for example). Note that the last item is a permissions issue on a file that is much easier to rectify. You can usually change permissions through the cpanel provided by your host. This tool is generally an industry standard.

The second set is recommended settings. If you don't meet them you can still install Joomla but it you experience problems with functionality and security.

This step is more applicable to web servers with less than minimum requirement because the latest WAMP have all the requirements

Step3: LISENSE

Joomla is released under a GNU/GPL license. You may choose to remove the footer link that says powered by Joomla but you just have to keep the copyright statement in the source code.

Step4: DATABASE CONFIGURATION

This is one of the main steps of the installation process, it?s where you need to enter important information about the database that your Joomla site will use. Joomla 1.5 only really runs on SQL for now.

Database type: Leave it as default
Hostname: ?localhost?
Username: root
Password: Leave it blank

Jump straight to creating your database name. Just go back to your task bar and click on the WAMP icon, then click on PhpMyAdmin, a window will come up, see where you have create new database then enter your database name and click create. That is it. Now go back to the database configuration and enter the database name you just created. , Next

Step5: MAIN CONFIGURATION
I cannot post any screen now because i just exceeded my quota. Meanwhile, lets continue.

The Main Configuration page determines how you will insert content into your site. You have three choices:

Install Sample Data
This installs the default Joomla content that you have probably seen all over the web with ?Welcome to Joomla?. Note that is also includes all the menus, navigation links and sections/categories. If you are learning how to use Joomla this is highly recommended. Its easier to adapt and revise than to start from scratch.

You may explore the others on your own later.

Step6: FINISH

At this stage, before you launch your your site, go to the www directory where you have joomla folder in the wamp icon and delete ONLY the INSTALLATION FOLDER. Thereafter, your joomla site is ready for exploration.

Please feel free to ask questions if you encounter any problem.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by chuksokey: 9:52am On Apr 15, 2010
Hey, Seun and other Moderators of Nairaland. Please help this guy (Mcfranc/Joomla) fix this Problem. Many of us are interested in this tutorial.I just observed that the guy have posted (Check last post under this thread) but its not showing, i perceive he is still having the same problem. I did promised to be a part of this thread. tanks
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 15, 2010
seun is working on it
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 6:45pm On Apr 15, 2010
Many thanks to Seun and all the Moderators for resolving this protracted problem.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? / Best WP Theme Or Plugin For VTU Portal / 7 Ways To Increase Your Adsense Click Through Rate - Ctr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.