Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,583 members, 7,850,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:39 AM

Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! (6357 Views)

I Need A Reliable And Affordable Host For Joomla And Wordpress. / Tutorial: Create Templates For Joomla, Drupal, Direct Css-based Templates / Php Class For Beginners. Question Will Be Treated With High Priority. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2010
Today, we shall be installing Joomla on our local server. So lets get started.

First on your deskstop, start your server by double clicking it. Then, on your taskbar, locate the compass-like icon i.e your WAMP server and launch your local host. Scroll down and you will see Your Project, under it is your joomla directory, click on it to commence the proper installation. Next, we follow it step by step:

Step1: CHOOSE LANGUAGE

Of course, you choose the default which is English.

Step 2: PRE-INSTALLATION CHECK

This part is very important in the installation process, it checks whether all the minimum system requirements are met.

The first set are the expected minimums, if they are red (i.e not met) then you need to find a new environment (change hosts), talk them into changing their environment (upgrading PHP for example). Note that the last item is a permissions issue on a file that is much easier to rectify. You can usually change permissions through the cpanel provided by your host. This tool is generally an industry standard.

The second set is recommended settings. If you don't meet them you can still install Joomla but it you experience problems with functionality and security.

This step is more applicable to web servers with less than minimum requirement because the latest WAMP have all the requirements

Step3: LISENSE

Joomla is released under a GNU/GPL license. You may choose to remove the footer link that says powered by Joomla but you just have to keep the copyright statement in the source code.

Step4: DATABASE CONFIGURATION

This is one of the main steps of the installation process, it?s where you need to enter important information about the database that your Joomla site will use. Joomla 1.5 only really runs on SQL for now.

Database type: Leave it as default
Hostname: ?localhost?
Username: root
Password: Leave it blank

Jump straight to creating your database name. Just go back to your task bar and click on the WAMP icon, then click on PhpMyAdmin, a window will come up, see where you have create new database then enter your database name and click create. That is it. Now go back to the database configuration and enter the database name you just created.

Step5: MAIN CONFIGURATION

The Main Configuration page determines how you will insert content into your site. You have three choices:

Install Sample Data
This installs the default Joomla content that you have probably seen all over the web with ?Welcome to Joomla?. Note that is also includes all the menus, navigation links and sections/categories. If you are learning how to use Joomla this is highly recommended. Its easier to adapt and revise than to start from scratch.

You may explore the others on your own later.

Step6: FINISH

At this stage, before you launch your your site, go to the www directory where you have joomla folder in the wamp icon and delete ONLY the INSTALLATION FOLDER. Thereafter, your joomla site is ready for exploration.

Please feel free to ask questions if you encounter any problem.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 15, 2010
lol @ protracted problem, the problem has been described in many ways, this is the first time i will hear it said like this.
all is well that ends well.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:50am On Apr 16, 2010

First on your deskstop, start your server by double clicking it. Then, on your taskbar, locate the compass-like icon i.e your WAMP server and launch your local host. Scroll down and you will see Your Project, under it is your joomla directory, click on it to commence the proper installation. Next, we follow it step by step:

This part is very important in the installation process, it checks whether all the minimum system requirements are met.

The first set are the expected minimums, if they are red (i.e not met) then you need to find a new environment (change hosts), talk them into changing their environment (upgrading PHP for example). Note that the last item is a permissions issue on a file that is much easier to rectify. You can usually change permissions through the cpanel provided by your host. This tool is generally an industry standard.

The second set is recommended settings. If you don't meet them you can still install Joomla but it you experience problems with functionality and security.

This step is more applicable to web servers with less than minimum requirement because the latest WAMP have all the requirements

Joomla is released under a GNU/GPL license. You may choose to remove the footer link that says powered by Joomla but you just have to keep the copyright statement in the source code.

This is one of the main steps of the installation process, it?s where you need to enter important information about the database that your Joomla site will use. Joomla 1.5 only really runs on SQL for now.

Jump straight to creating your database name. Just go back to your task bar and click on the WAMP icon, then click on PhpMyAdmin, a window will come up, see where you have create new database then enter your database name and click create. That is it. Now go back to the database configuration and enter the database name you just created.

The Main Configuration page determines how you will insert content into your site. You have three choices:

Install Sample Data
This installs the default Joomla content that you have probably seen all over the web with ?Welcome to Joomla?. Note that is also includes all the menus, navigation links and sections/categories. If you are learning how to use Joomla this is highly recommended. Its easier to adapt and revise than to start from scratch.

At this stage, before you launch your your site, go to the www directory where you have joomla folder in the wamp icon and delete ONLY the INSTALLATION FOLDER. Thereafter, your joomla site is ready for exploration.

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:51am On Apr 16, 2010
Hope this post stays, cos i posted same yesterday but it mysteriously disappeared againgrin
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2010

Install Sample Data

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Apr 16, 2010
the spam bot swallowed that post yesterday, this second page of your thread was blank until i posted. .
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by jjjkkkooo: 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2010
i hope there are no cabals blocking mcfranc tutorial posts intentionally thinking he 's spoiling their business bocs he's offering the service free. If not, why is d situation peculiar to mcfranc. Is it another Nigerian factor?
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 2:52pm On Apr 16, 2010

Jump straight to creating your database name. Just go back to your task bar and click on the WAMP icon, then click on PhpMyAdmin, a window will come up, see where you have create new database then enter your database nameĀ  and click create. That is it. Now go back to the database configuration and enter the database name you just created.

Install Sample Data

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 3:18pm On Apr 16, 2010
Na wa for this spam bot o! Na the monster dey make me post same thing o shocked
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by OmniPotens(m): 3:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
Sorry I didn't observe this in time as no reports were put across to me. Is all settled now?
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 4:13pm On Apr 16, 2010
The Olorioko himself has spoken! Thanks for fixing it once and for all. Now, let the contribution roll in.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
I reported the issue to seun and he says it has been fixed. So now, letz roll on with the tutorial. Mr franc, maybe you can
add a few screenshots, i think it will help the students (or shall i add them)?
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 5:59pm On Apr 16, 2010
@dhtml, thanks for that support. I did include the screenshots before but for that mix-up earlier. I will do that again ASAP. Thanks man.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:49am On Apr 17, 2010
Here are the screenshots of the steps on installing joomla on your local server.

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:53am On Apr 17, 2010
More,

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by jjjkkkooo: 11:14pm On Apr 18, 2010
good job mcfranc
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:31am On Apr 19, 2010
Hi all,

Would have continued the tutorial with new post but I am not getting an encouraging feedback from my interested friends here. Need to know if the tutorials are making sense.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 11:22am On Apr 19, 2010
mcfranc:

Hi all,

Would have continued the tutorial with new post but I am not getting an encouraging feedback from my interested friends here. Need to know if the tutorials are making sense.

Yeah they are making sense brother and please continue because actually more people prefer viewing than making comments. Go ahead with the tutorial please.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 19, 2010
mr franc, you know you are a bit new here, so people are being cautious, they are waiting to rate you based on your perfomance.
Many people will come here, start something and zoom off (they are labelled attention seekers), but i believe you are serious, so
plz move on. I was considering doing a joomla tutorial, but somehow i decided not to do too much tutorials this year, and yours is
helping people out alot.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 2:54pm On Apr 20, 2010
Your post is not showing maybe you can try shortening it.

Hi all,
Ok, am sorry for the snail movement of this thread, i promise to post the tutorials more frequently. Maybe twice in a day.

@dhtml, thanks for the advice.

In today's tutorial you will learn how to install Joomla 1.5 through your web server using the Fantastico Auto-installer. I am assuming you are using a hosting package that has fantastico.

Step 1:

Step2:
In your control panel, click on the Fantastico icon

Step3:
Under "Content Management" on the left-hand menu, click on the Joomla link. Next, click on "New Installation.

Step4:
In this page you will fill in information for your Joomla web site with the following:
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 12:03pm On Apr 23, 2010
Hi OmniPotens and all concerned Nairalanders,

I hope this post will be displayed

I am still having issues with my post showing. I have tutorial posted twice now with no display. This can be really discouraging. Hope that this will be fixed so i can continue the tutorial else with due respect to all, will discontinue the tutorial.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 9:59am On Apr 27, 2010
Hi all,

Please keep checking this thread as the issue is going to be resolved soon. Thanks for your encouragement.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 7:22pm On May 02, 2010
Hello all,

I have waited to no avail for the promised quick fix of the problem on my posing. Hopefully, this post will show and serve as a green light for us to proceed on our long awaited joomla tutorial class.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by BlackRevo: 8:02pm On May 02, 2010
Okay we are still waiting and hoping it is all fixed.
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 02, 2010
ride on brother, one love
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by mcfranc(m): 11:24am On May 03, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks for your interest and encouragement despite the hickup. Hopefully, the ride will go smooth now. So am reposting the earlier part of the tutorial that got missing grin

In today's tutorial you will learn how to install Joomla 1.5 through your web server using the Fantastico Auto-installer. I am assuming you are using a hosting package that has fantastico.

Step 1:

Step2:
In your control panel, click on the Fantastico icon

Step3:
Under "Content Management" on the left-hand menu, click on the Joomla link. Next, click on "New Installation.

Step4:
In this page you will fill in information for your Joomla web site with the following:

Install in Directory: This sets up the installation path. If you want to install Joomla in the root directory of your domain, (www.yourwebsite.com) you should leave this blank. If you want to install it as a subdomain, (www.yourwebsite/subdomain), then enter a name for the directory.

Admin access data: Choose a username and password that you will use to access the administration panel of your new Joomla website.

Base Configuration
Admin e-mail: Enter the address you would like to receive your email.
Admin full name: Enter your desired admin name
Site Name: Enter your website's name, this will be displayed in the title bar of your home page

Please dont forget all these details.

Step 5:
Once you are done with filling all the necessary information, click on Install. On the next page, confirm the installation. This brings you to a page that indicates a successful installation of Joomla.

That's it.

Now, you can access your website's administration panel at: www.yourwebsite.com/administrator. You will use the user-name and password that you selected during the installation

Have a great day!

Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by joomla: 9:17am On May 06, 2010
Hi,
I got the ban message from your spam bot again after the spam held my post captive for 3 days and 3 nights, but thank God the post surface but not without denial of my username. Please moderator release mcfranc and let him go o grin
Re: Beginners Class For Joomla - Join Now! by Nobody: 10:28am On May 06, 2010
held in captive. . .oga o. mr joomla, please i need your help in a joomla problem. please contact me on support@.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sygnifik.com Is A Scam SEO Website! Beware!!! / The West Africa Bloggers Conference 2015 Starts Today / Everything you need to know about Blogging/website + Google adsense In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.