Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

6 African Music Legends You Should Know - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 6 African Music Legends You Should Know (20678 Views)

Aliyah And 2pac, Two music Legends That Died Too Early / ‘Most Music Legends Are Not Versatile’ – Singer, Simi / Six African Music Legends You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by IdiAmin2(m): 2:37pm On Jan 12, 2018
what kind non sense be dis

where is Mo'cheddar in the list?
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by KimWooBin: 2:55pm On Jan 12, 2018
WIZKID (STARBOY) DESERVES THE LIST angry
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by dont8(m): 3:01pm On Jan 12, 2018
emailaddy:
A list without Angelique Kidjo is a useless list... a multiple Grammy winner of which I doubt if anyone one your list have any.

So many songs for Hollywood

Please read and be educated
So American Music Award is the benchmark for greatness in Africa?

Africa wake up and stop all the neo colonialism.
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by vroy(m): 3:26pm On Jan 12, 2018
where is sikiru ayinde barrister
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by enemmo(f): 3:38pm On Jan 12, 2018
Hugh Masakela

Yvonne Chaka Chaka

Manu Dibango

Salif Keita

Miatta Fanbulleh

Cardinal Rex Jim Lawson

Orlando Owoh

Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by room089: 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2018
Chukazu:

First time I saw the guy was his Advert he did with Peagout "306 . Dude was amazing with the Sax

Heard he is dead though.. embarassed

No bro, that was a hoax: he's alive.

He's not just a legend but also a force to reckon with in music industry.

A very close friend to Fela. He has done series of collaborations with him and also with Sunny Ade.

Some lyrics of his song: Soul Makossa was what Michael Jackson copied unlawfully in his song: Wanna be startin something. Manu sued MJ but they later settled out of court.

Rihanna also copied that lyrics into one of her songs after she sought permission which must have included some form of financial settlement to Michael Jackson.
Manu Dibango was infuriated by this, and he sued both artistes. I can't recall how they wriggled themselves out of that mess.

Truly, Manu Dibango is a force to reckon with!

1 Like

Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by room089: 3:52pm On Jan 12, 2018
Ben4sure:
My top 10 African musicians of all time:
1. Fela Kuti (Water no get enemy)
2. Tu face (African queen)
3. Onyeaka Owenu (Iyogogo)
4. Mike Nbanga (Sweet mother)
5. Eedris Abdulkareem (Mr. Lecturer)
6. Wizkid (Jaiyejaiye)
7. Olamide (Eleda mi o)
8. Majek Fashek (Send down the rain)
9. Dagrin (Pon pon pon)
10. African China (Crisis &Lead us well)

Uncle, No. 5 should be Prince Nico Mbarga and not the other way round.

Hope you know he's a cameroonian and not from your country Nigeria, although his mum is a nigerian.
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by GuidoVanRossum: 4:09pm On Jan 12, 2018
neoapocalypse:

That is your opinion , if I were to pick 6 legends in Africa , Lucky Dube wouldn't be on the list

Then you have not listen to Lucky.
Dube is my greatest African musician.
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by okayman4real(m): 4:21pm On Jan 12, 2018
where is lucky dude I and alpha Blondy.

1 Like

Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by gmoni2(m): 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2018
emailaddy:
A list without Angelique Kidjo is a useless list... a multiple Grammy winner of which I doubt if anyone one your list have any.

So many songs for Hollywood

Please read and be educated

Miriam Makeba won a Grammy too
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by TEEBLUE88(m): 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2018
may b d list is for best african footballers, cos if it is for musicians, Dube MUST b there

1 Like

Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Olubee22(f): 5:09pm On Jan 12, 2018
Ollygentle:
Hehe

Who made this list?

So the person doesn't know barrister
Abi ayinla omo wura?

Abi o, Barry should be on that list nah.
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 12, 2018
wat of daddy showkey or baba fryo
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by kayowalemi(m): 5:55pm On Jan 12, 2018
Shade Adu
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 12, 2018
GuidoVanRossum:

Then you have not listen to Lucky.
Dube is my greatest African musician.

I've been listening to Lucky Dube , Peter Tosh , Jimmy Cliff and other reggae musicians since the 80's and I still stand by my opinion , Lucky Dude wouldn't be in my top 6 ( even 10 ) legends of Africa. There are others who I'd consider ahead of him , the likes of Hugh Masekela , Mariam Makeba , Mory Kante , Fela , Salif Keita and Youssou N'Dour

Modified : And of course Manu Dibango

1 Like

Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by webngnews: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2018
Ok
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Newerakings(m): 6:57pm On Jan 12, 2018
This is a Yoruba list using other Africa musicians as camouflage
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 12, 2018
Brenda Fassie
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Smarkie: 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2018
this list was based on tribal affliction, op u should have done an extensive research before coming up with this dunce result
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by queenice7(f): 7:29pm On Jan 12, 2018
saleef keita should be number 1
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by 12345baba(m): 8:13pm On Jan 12, 2018
Person wey write this list no try at all. Wey my babe Shaka Shaka Yvonne!
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by madjune(m): 8:52pm On Jan 12, 2018
Where is Salif Keita?

Where is Papa Wemba?

I'm sure na Indomie mutant draw this list.
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by Princechuks90(m): 9:36am On Jan 13, 2018
jazinogold:
angry
one day...una go halla my name one day ooooooooooo grin grin grin

Faze! Faze! Faze! Faze!
Re: 6 African Music Legends You Should Know by GuidoVanRossum: 12:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
neoapocalypse:

I've been listening to Lucky Dube , Peter Tosh , Jimmy Cliff and other reggae musicians since the 80's and I still stand by my opinion , Lucky Dude wouldn't be in my top 6 ( even 10 ) legends of Africa. There are others who I'd consider ahead of him , the likes of Hugh Masekela , Mariam Makeba , Mory Kante , Fela , Salif Keita and Youssou N'Dour

Modified : And of course Manu Dibango

Well, we all like what we like. Dube for me is the unsung hero of reggae and my African best ever.
When I listen to songs like 'Teach the world", "Micky mouse", "money money money", "house of exile", "reap what you sow", "Not easy", "Affirmative action", etc. I feel so excited he was born into this world a musician.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Nigeria Is Scary Place To Be" Simi Rants On Nigeria Problems / DJ Cuppy: I Could Win A Grammy And People Will Still Feel I Am Not Good Enough / Billionaire' Wife Lawson Dabota Stuns In New Photos In The US

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.