Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,214 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? (1227 Views)

Tithing Is Not Compulsory - D.K Olukoya / Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by EVarn(m): 6:32pm On Jan 12, 2018
I was wondering, if tithing is insurance against "satanic encroachment", what about muslims,jews,hindists,etc who don't pay tithe, but still experience prosperity, without disturbance?.

Apart from many successful atheists like Gates,Zuckerburg,Seun and co, there are millions of successful people on the planet that dont pay tithe, yet witness abundance; there are those who pay tithe,yet witness poverty, and yet again,there are those who dont pay tithe,and are in poverty.

When talking about tithing,many tend to forget that the world isnt made up of christians alone.

So what is the essence of tithing?.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Richdee1(m): 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2018
Lemme sit here and wait till it gets 2 FP
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Pierohandsome: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2018
Muslims pay tithe u can ask. Though they dnt call it tithe they have what they call their own one tenth.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:
Muslims pay tithe u can ask. Though they dnt call it tithe they have what they call their own one tenth.
oga speak for yourself not us,we don't have nothing called one tenth.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by olasaad(f): 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:

Muslims pay Zakat and zakat doesn't take from the poor but rather the rich give to the poor

2 Likes

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by EVarn(m): 7:09pm On Jan 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:
Tithe in islam?...do you have any kind of evidence of that?
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Pierohandsome: 8:00pm On Jan 12, 2018
abdelrahman:
oga speak for yourself not us,we don't have nothing called one tenth.
i have a deep rooted muslim who told me they pay tithe too. I raised the issue on something similar to this topic ,he told me they pay one tenth
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:
i have a deep rooted muslim who told me they pay tithe too. I raised the issue on something similar to this topic ,he told me they pay one tenth
it is not tithe,it is zakah,given to the poor by the rich once in a year,and it is 25% out of 100%1

1 Like

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by enilove(m): 8:39pm On Jan 12, 2018
Is life all about money?

Mark 8:36-37 KJV
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
[37] Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 6:32-34 KJV
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. [33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. [34] Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Ecclesiastes 5:15 KJV
As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.

It is a fact that there are many non Christians who are rich in this world and don't pay tithes , and many Christians who pay tithes , fast and pray , yet poor. The answer is simple ;

Proverbs 15:24 KJV
The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

In summary, Christians pay tithes to follow the commandment of God not because of becoming the richest in the world . A Christians focus is more of the things of heaven .
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 12, 2018
Pierohandsome:

Guy, stop trying too hard to make a point. There is no tithing in Islam. There is only zakat which is giving to the poor, not to some over fed egoistic God of men.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2018
enilove:
Is life all about money?

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

(For after all these things do the Gentiles seeksmiley for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. [33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. [34] Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.

It is a fact that there are many non Christians who are rich in this world and don't pay tithes , and many Christians who pay tithes , fast and pray , yet poor. The answer is simple ;

In summary, Christians pay tithes to follow the commandment of God not because of becoming the richest in the world . A Christians focus is more of the things of heaven .

But your pastors would make us think otherwise by the prosperity dominated sermons they preach all day and the way they live extravagantly and lavishly. Point of correction please, God didn't command you pay tithe to Pastors. Malachi said to bring food to storehouse so that the poor, orphans, widows, strangers in Israel can have a field day. Jesus said to give to the poor when he said that I am hungry and you feed me, thirsty, unclad and you clothe me. Christianity nowadays is fast loosing ideology, focus and depth to be replaced with shallow doctrines of prosperity focus living
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by enilove(m): 10:28pm On Jan 12, 2018
maryjames9:

But your pastors would make us think otherwise by the prosperity dominated sermons they preach all day and the way they live extravagantly and lavishly. Point of correction please, God didn't command you pay tithe to Pastors. Malachi said to bring food to storehouse so that the poor, orphans, widows, strangers in Israel can have a field day. Jesus said to give to the poor when he said that I am hungry and you feed me, thirsty, unclad and you clothe me. Christianity nowadays is fast loosing ideology, focus and depth to be replaced with shallow doctrines of prosperity focus living

That is your opinion but not a fact.

The synagogue was a place of worship for the Jews and the custodians of the synagogues are the priests ,the Levite's.
The custodian of the church is the Pastor .

Abraham did not pay tithes to the Levites but God later gave the Levite's rights to receive tithes. Why ?
It is because tithes is for God and mearnt to show appreciation to Him. Why did God say " You have ROBBED ME" ? It is because tithes is for God . Any synagogue or church where the true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is called is the House of God and you are expected to take your tithes there . The Pastor can use it for his welfare, church welfare and welfare of the people as the Holy Spirit directs him.

As I pointed out b4, we are expected to obey God and not because we want to be rich that should make a Christian to pay tithes.

The good deeds Jesus commanded us, has nothing to do with tithing. After your tithe, you should still be generous to the needy.
There is no one that will escape the judgement of God, even if he is the G.O of his church. They will give account of how they use the tithes and offerings. This we know because Jesus said so :
Matthew 7:22-23 KJV
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

That iniquity can be anything , stewardship inclusive.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by tartar9(m): 11:17pm On Jan 12, 2018
enilove:

The synagogue was a place of worship for the Jews and the custodians of the synagogues are the priests ,the Levite's.

Abraham did not pay tithes to the Levites but God later gave the Levite's rights to receive tithes. Why ?
It is because tithes is for God and mearnt to show appreciation to Him. Why did God say " You have ROBBED ME" ? It is because tithes is for God . Any synagogue or church where the true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is called is the House of God and you are expected to take your tithes there . The Pastor can use it for his welfare, church welfare and welfare of the people as the Holy Spirit directs him.

As I pointed out b4, we are expected to obey God and not because we want to be rich that should make a Christian to pay tithes.

The good deeds Jesus commanded us, has nothing to do with tithing. After your tithe, you should still be generous to the needy.
There is no one that will escape the judgement of God, even if he is the G.O of his church. They will give account of how they use the tithes and offerings. This we know because Jesus said so :
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Of all the 613 commandments in the old testament,tithing just happens to be the one your daddy g.o's chose to follow.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by tartar9(m): 11:18pm On Jan 12, 2018
abdelrahman:
it is not tithe,it is zakah,given to the poor by the rich once in a year,and it is 25% out of 100%1
You meant 2.5%

1 Like

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by ponziponzi(m): 4:04am On Jan 13, 2018
enilove:

Where did you get all these teachings from? Even the present day Isealistes do not tithe because it will be against the commandment of God given to them.

Pastors are not Levites, Levites belong to a Hebrew tribe of Levi, they receive tithe because they don't have any inheritance in Israel and not all Levites are priests (Only the descendants of Aaron are made Priest).

We are Christians in Nigeria, we are not Israelites and Pastors are not Levites.

1 Like

Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 13, 2018
tartar9:

You meant 2.5%
yes, 2.5% thanks for correction bro!
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by OkCornel(m): 1:09pm On Jan 13, 2018
enilove:
Is life all about money?

The question is if Christians are under any obligation to pay tithes as a form of insurance from the devourers...

Anyways, the answer to this is in Acts Chapter 15. If people read this part of their Bible instead of listening and swallowing everything their Pastor teaches...then this tithing issue won't be a controversy in the first place.

Monetary tithing in Christendom is a scam. You can check Acts 15 and Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29 for further details...
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by OkCornel(m): 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2018
enilove:

Tithe has no basis whatsoever in Christianity... the Gentile church were never any under obligation to tithe. The evidence is there in Acts 15.

I wonder if An African man can be more Jewish than a Jew OR whether he's a gentile like the gentile believers of those early church days...
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by enilove(m): 1:44pm On Jan 13, 2018
OkCornel:

Tithe has no basis whatsoever in Christianity... the Gentile church were never any under obligation to tithe. The evidence is there in Acts 15.

I wonder if An African man can be more Jewish than a Jew OR whether he's a gentile like the gentile believers of those early church days...

Are you paying tithes to a man or to God?

Was there any law b4 Abraham paid tithes? He did that to appreciate God. Christian are expected to pay tithe in appreciation to God for the blessings , financial or material.

God said : Malachi 3:8 KJV
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

ROBBING GOD IN TITHES AND OFFERINGS? Why do you want to pay only offerings?
Giving of offerings is also to appreciate God , if you have and you don't give it, you are robbing God. The same is applicable to tithes.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by OkCornel(m): 3:43pm On Jan 13, 2018
enilove:

Was there any law b4 Abraham paid tithes? He did that to appreciate God. Christian are expected to pay tithe in appreciation to God for the blessings , financial or material.

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

Giving of offerings is also to appreciate God , if you have and you don't give it, you are robbing God. The same is applicable to tithes.

Only the Israelites were under the obligation to tithe. Nowhere in the Bible did Jesus tell His followers to tithe. Jesus has told us what to do on how to give in Matthew 25 v 31-46 . I'll put Acts 15 here for us to discuss. Malachi was written at a time when Jesus had not died to fulfill the requirements of the Law...unless you're implying that Jesus has not fully fulfilled the requirements of the Law.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by OkCornel(m): 3:54pm On Jan 13, 2018
1599 Geneva Bible

Acts 15

1 Then came down certain from Judea, and taught the brethren, saying, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.

2 And when there was great dissension, and disputation by Paul and Barnabas against them, they ordained that Paul and Barnabas, and certain others of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the Apostles and Elders about this question.

3 Thus being brought forth by the Church, they passed through Phoenicia and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles, and they brought great joy unto all the brethren.

4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the Church, and of the Apostles and Elders, and they declared what things God had done by them.

5 But said they, certain of the sect of the Pharisees, which did believe, rose up, saying that it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the Law of Moses.

6 Then the Apostles and Elders came together to look to this matter.

7 And when there had been great disputation, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Ye men and brethren, ye know that a good while ago, among us God chose out me, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the Gospel, and believe.

8 And God which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, in giving unto them the holy Ghost even as he did unto us.

9 And he put no difference between us and them, after that by faith he had purified their hearts.

10 Now therefore, why tempt ye God, to lay a yoke on the disciples’ necks, which neither our fathers, nor we were able to bear?

11 But we believe, through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved, even as they do.

12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and heard Barnabas and Paul, which told what signs and wonders God had done among the Gentiles by them.

13 And when they held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me.

14 Simeon hath declared, how God first did visit the Gentiles, to take of them a people unto his Name.

15 And to this agree the words of the Prophets, as it is written,

16 After this I will return, and will build again the Tabernacle of David, which is fallen down, and the ruins thereof will I build again, and I will set it up.

17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles upon whom my Name is called, saith the Lord which doeth all these things.

18 From the beginning of the world, God knoweth all his works.

19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them of the Gentiles that are turned to God,

20 But that we send unto them, that they abstain themselves from filthiness of idols, and fornication, and that is strangled, and from blood.

21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, seeing he is read in the Synagogues every Sabbath day.

22 Then it seemed good to the Apostles and Elders with the whole Church to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas: to wit, Judas whose surname was Barsabas, and Silas, which were chief men among the brethren,

23 And wrote letters by them after this manner, THE APOSTLES, and the Elders, and the brethren, Unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch, and in Syria, and in Cilicia, send greeting.

24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us, have troubled you with words, and cumbered your minds, saying, Ye must be circumcised and keep the Law: to whom we gave no such commandment,

25 It seemed therefore good to us, when we were come together with one accord, to [send] chosen men unto you, with our beloved Barnabas and Paul.

26 Men that have given up their lives for the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, which shall also tell you the same things by mouth.

28 For it seemed good to the holy Ghost, and to us, to lay no more burden upon you, than these necessary things.

29 That is, that ye abstain from things offered to idols, and blood, and that that is strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

30 Now when they were departed, they came to Antioch, and after that they had assembled the multitude, they delivered the Epistle,

31 And when they had read it, they rejoiced for the consolation.

32 And Judas and Silas being Prophets, exhorted the brethren with many words, and strengthened them.

33 And after they had tarried there a space, they were let go in peace of the brethren unto the Apostles.

34 Notwithstanding Silas thought good to abide there still.

35 Paul also and Barnabas continued in Antioch, teaching and preaching with many others the word of the Lord.

36 But after certain days, Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us return and visit our brethren in every city, where we have preached the word of the Lord, and see how they do.

37 And Barnabas counseled to take with them John, called Mark.

38 But Paul thought it not meet to take him unto their company, which departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work.

39 Then were they so stirred, that they departed asunder one from the other, so that Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus.

40 And Paul chose Silas and departed, being commended of the brethren unto the grace of God.

41 And he went through Syria and Cilicia, establishing the Churches.
Re: Tithing Is A Principle?,what About The Muslims And Others? by OkCornel(m): 4:50pm On Jan 13, 2018
enilove:

Carefully read Acts 15 and also read the following verses in context (which I've bolded): 1,5,9,10,20,28,29

The Apostles clearly told the Gentile Christians what is needed for them to be Christians in verse 10,20,28,29. And tithing is not part of the requirements.

Having seen this, please why are the Pastors preaching that non-tithers would be under the devourer's curse for not paying their tithes?

By the way...God Almighty never instructed tithes to be paid using gold, silver or money. The objects to be tithed were clearly stated in Deuteronomy 14 v 23. Who then is the church obeying by paying and receiving tithes monetarily? Do these Pastors now know more than God who gave these instructions?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Muslims Need The Tafsir Of The Qur'an? / Have You Truly Been Born Again Of Water And The Spirit? / Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.