Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,661 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help (3768 Views)

You Summon The Courage To Visit Your Boo's Family And Then You Meet This (Photo) / Ladies,how Do You Feel About The Man That Disvirgin You,do You Like Or Hate Him? / I Didn’t Know I Was Also Jazzing Him, Help Me! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by SiaFuller: 3:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
I am an Avid reader of Nairaland and i have never bothered to comment but to enjoy the comments and advices of others i relationship matters but i think i now need your assistance before i lose the plot.

I have been dating this guy for a while now and honestly speaking without exaggerating too much, he is the most perfect man to me. He is tall, dark, handsome, hardworking and very kind to a fault. He helps people at will and takes no offence whatso ever at my excesses except i over do it to a fault and instead of getting mad at me to hit me or abuse me, he just walks away for an hour or 2 and comes back as if nothing happens. The only snag i have with him is that he is an atheist and doesnt believe in God whatso ever. I am a very strong Christian and i didnt take it as anything at first when he was trying to date me. I saw it as a juvenile boy's thing and maybe misguided and my purpose was to date him to make him change his ways and believe in God, but instead he has kept steadfast to his belief of not believing in God and hating anything about religion but apart from that, he is everything a girl could want in a man or more.

Since i have known him, he doesnt smoke or drink or party, move around with unserious or bad friends. He has never cheated on me and promised to never do so because its not his nature. He hasn't hit me before and also swore the day that he hits me mistakenly i should stab him and dump him there and then because he doesnt appreciate Men who beat women. He takes care of me and sometimes even cook for me when ever i come to his place. He even paid close to N300,000 for my hospital bills when i had a surgery and he stayed with me most of the time. I know he truely and genuinely loves me but this issue of his religion and atheism is my only problem with him. He has even driven me to church on so many occassions when it rains or when am going for Night Virgil but he never comes down or attends it and he sometimes comes back to pick me up when i am done.

He blatantly refuses to change. My pastor dislikes him so much and sees him as a bad influence to me because he says anybody that is not of the spirit and with the spirit of God is a temptation to be cut loose. My Mom doesnt even want to hear anything about him until he renounces his atheism but she hasnt complained about him concerning anything else. My Dad has warned me not to bring a devil to his house hold and sees him as a Devil's incarnate and spritually unclean. He even promised to disown me if i ever call him my financee talkless of bringing home as a potential husband. Most of my female friends drool over him and tell me how lucky i am to meet such a good man while others warn me that he is demonic and i should stay away from him because he doesnt believe in God.

The thing is that he is very brilliant and intelligent and when you hear him speak sometimes he could be so mesmerizing when denouncing religion and the bible or Koran as mere propagandas and fictional works. There was even a day some people in my fellowship came to meet him to pray and convert him and it turned into a debate and he ended up winning the argument and making us question or faith back in a total reversal of roles. He is very unsparing and merciless when it comes to things of God, Bible or religion and makes no apologises for it. Apart from that, he is a total pussy cat. Calm, collected, mature, responsible and humble. 2 days ago he jokingly made a feeble attempt to propose to me but added a clause that we would only do a registry marriage and not church wedding because he cant stand the site of the hypocrisy of christianity and the church but he would go out of his way to make sure i have a memorable wedding @ the registry and reception. He tells me that prayers dont work and only daft and lazy people believe in prayers. He says you don't have to be a christian to be kind, compassionate and honest and to help people. He says its human nature and the society that dictates how we think and act and he chooses to be someone that is kind and honest to people and not attribute it to one God or Church. Anytime i come back from Church and talk about my pastor or what i was taught, he gets very angry. He doesnt like hearing anything about pastors, churches, tithes and sermons but when you get into a biblical argument with him, its as if he knows the bible inside out and the right quotes without even reading it. He is that articulate.

For the past 2 days i have been in a dilema now. He wants to marry me i believe and i love him seriously to bits. I have dated other so called born again or spiritually filled guys in my past that messed me up so badly and i know alot of men use this as a bait to catch women and end up showing their true colors later on. My boyfriend is not disguising who he is in terms of his spirituality but he is offering me this unconditional love which i have seen and no man has given me despite their promises. My only fear is that my parents will see me as an out cast, my friends dont like him for it, my pastor and church members loathe him for being an athiest and dislike more everyday i am with him. If i go ahead with my choice to stick with him, i lose my soul and my community but gain happiness because he has truely being a wonderful man so far but if i leave him for my friends, family and community i might lose my prince charming that every woman dreams of that loves me dearly.

I am really confused and i have to make a decision quickly. Please help advise me. Please no nasty comments too i beg you. Hope we can be civil with this.

P:S: I will be 30 in September.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Omolulu(m): 4:00pm On Apr 11, 2010
Hmm this your case is a very sensitive issue in Nigeria my sister, and you'd soon be 30, well for one if you love him, you'd marry him, the bible states that a faithful woman can convert an unrighteous husband through her prayers and actions, As for your family and friends, well you cant do without them, you would have to reach a compromise with them so you'd have shoulders to cry on lest things turn bad
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 11, 2010
Awwww you poor dear sad sad If he is all that then go for it. Just seat down your family and friends and plead with them to be happy for you. Im sure they want you to be happy and if he makes you happy then they should be happy for you. I do agree with your boyfriend the hypocrisy in the church is astounding and No you dont have to be a christian to be a good person.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
A hard one here!

I'd stick with your guy. I'm Catholic myself, but have since come to realise there are more demonic people within the church, than out of it. A lot of so-called born-again Christians will quote the scriptures, when it suits them, to cover some of their actions that are otherwise pretty unsavoury to society at large.

How strong is your faith? I only ask this because, this will probably be one of the greatest tests of your faith, you'll ever experience in your lifetime. Can you live with your man, at the expense of alienating your family and friends? Can you convert him in to your faith? Is your faith strong enough for both of you? On the face of it, you've got the perfect man who loves you unconditionally, and you also love. I feel we all have that one special person in our lifetimes, that we'll only get one chance at. You've said you've dated within your faith, but these relationships haven't worked out.

Don't you feel it's worth giving this relationship a go? There's every chance your faith will be sufficient to turn him round. Whatever you decide, please make your choice based upon what you both want and feel, not what your Pastor or friends dictate. Your Pastor shouldn't hate your man, he's meant to be a man of God, and should know better. Man is not qualified to judge, that's left to God.

Good luck, hope it all works out for the best.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by rawswagga(m): 4:38pm On Apr 11, 2010
Well to be I had be carefull of such person.all dat glitter”s hhhhhmmm.to me I mit call him a devile.bkos hardly can u find a guy dat is so complete as u say.he is kitty cat,calm, can't even stay at nit wit him.bt come to d real sens.if it was a normal case like a christain nd a muslim,trib setiment I will advice u to go for ur happiness.ur parent will one day leave dis earth nd u will live happily ever after.girl for me dat guy is more to wat u are seeing physically.is he a nigerian?,devil can quot d bible very well.wats he yought full nd teenage background.if u where to b my sister I will advice u nt to marry him bkos u gonna loos ur faith,friends,parents nd siblings.so wat r u living for then?b wise girl

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by axeman85(m): 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2010
@poster

touchy and dicsy situation.
you love this guy and from your words he is the perfect man for you and for your parents and friends he is a demon.   being a xtian myself. i dont step foot in the church while i am away abroad only when i am in naija. and it very interesting when you know the nitty gritty that goes on in these churches. its also very interesting for your pastor to be saying he is demonic because he doesnt believe in GOD and thats not what a man of GOD sgould be saying and i agree with ur man 100% you dont have to be a xtian or born again to show mercy and be charitable to people and give alms and help the needy.    

if you decide to stick with this guy, and your folks are not ready to give up their stand . if they see how happy you are, they will come round on the long run, it mught take time thou.  and also for the sake of christ i hope he is showing his true self and not camourflaging his true colours so as not to make you regret your decision ooo.   let me give you an example altough a different way

i have a friend he is yoruba and the girl is igbo, the guy from a broken home, the parents dont want the girl to marry the guy due to this reasons and some of her friends are in support of the girl to marry the guy but the family is totally against it, to cut the long story short, the girl knowing how lucky she is to have landed such a girl at the age of 24 and after 6relationships. told my guy that the only way she can be with him and he parents will alllow her to marry him is to get pregnant for the guy. the girl said it with her own mouth and when my friend asked her why she said she loves him and all the blah bleak sweet things and that all her friends and even married boss at work has advised her to do same.   she is sure of this becos she knows the kind is the best thing to have happened to her, and ticks all the boxes in what a girl wants in a man. to the extent that her collegues fought her becos they wanted to snatch the guy from her.

what am trying to say is the decision is yours to make and not anyone else. jst make sure the attributes and characters he is showing now is true and not fronting.

as the saying goes, it is he who has eaten from the pot of soup will tell the world how sweet it is.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Travelista(f): 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2010
Sweetie, this is a tough one but let me tell you this: The Devil can quote Scripture as well as any apostle; don't EVER forget that. I have friends that are atheists and they respect my religious beliefs and don't go about trying to 'debate' how I'm wrong. THAT'S love. You are too blind to see it but your boyfriend is trying to pull you over into atheism because to him, it's about winning (judging from you're statement about the debate he had with your church friends). And may I ask, how strong is YOUR faith because I can't imagine how you're able to reconcile the obvious disrespect of Christ (who, if you're a Christian, you know is your one and only Lord and Savior) just because you love this guy. How do you think he will react to your religion after the wedding? What about when it comes time to have children? Are you sure this man is worth being cast out of your family for? Sounds like a divide and conquer tactic employed by the Devil himself on numerous occasions to me. Adding in your age (sorry girl but let's keep it 100), you want to get married something fierce. Don't even try and lie about it because I'm still trying to understand how a Christian could even put up with a situation like this unless there was something else keeping them in such a relationship.

It's a test. This man has you questioning your faith and seeing him as the only one for you. No bueno, ma and you know it.

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by H2O2: 4:53pm On Apr 11, 2010
Listen to your familik. Love isn't enough . . . you better try to discover what you share in common with the guy, or at least see if your belief systeems intertwine.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by ngozianu(m): 5:12pm On Apr 11, 2010
if you are a true born again, then see your pastor, be ware of self-righteousness.

Lucifer can appera as an angel of Light as the bible has warned us
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by MissyB1(m): 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2010
It's much easier to tell You what I think You want to hear - 'Go ahead, marry him'.
Sorry but No, I'D Love to offer a candid opinion. If I were Your Friend or Relative, I wouldn't be excited about the Idea either. No, I'm not a Religion fanatic but sensitive issues like marriage should be handled with care from the onset before it's too late and then Reality becomes personal.

On what ground do You want to build Your family?
How much good is the marriage going to do to Your spiritual Life?
What teachings are Your kids going to have?

Marriage is a BIG deal and is complicated enough with little issues like 'who eats what'.
This is going to be a big problem, unless You aren't a practicing christian.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by EshuKemi: 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2010
Some people here are just replying nonsense because they are too sentimental with their Religion and christianity. Lets go through the main issues here again. She loves him. He takes care of her. He respects her. He is kind and lovely to her. He is romantic to her. She calls him her prince charming. He doesnt beat her. He wants to marry her and she is almost 30. What else does a girl want again and she has the kind of man all girls pray and do night virgil for at her side but you guys are advising her to leave him because he doesnt believe in that crappy unbelievable book you call the bible? undecided

At least she confessed that she has dated the so called pastors, born again, church loving guys and holy spirit wannables before and they have left her heart broken. Where were you guys to make things right for her? Why didnt the pastor hate on those ones that almost destroyed her life. Now her parents, stupid friends and a very retarded pastor i must say is not happy she is dating an atheist. If she listens to them and leaves the guy, what are the guarantee that she would meet another guy that loves her so much like this before she hits 35? What if she doesnt meet anyone that matches up to her standard, must she play the role of second best because he believes in one bloody fable that somebody rose up from the dead? I would rather respect a person who is true to himself and dogma and not change styles or lifestyle because it will please other people. The b/f has done no wrong except to say the truth that Religion is a farce and Christianity is a hoax but after that, he is her prince charming.

Listen poster: Forget what your stupid pastor is saying about your b/f. Tell your friends who dont like your b/f to Zap off. Tell your parents and family to mind their freaking business and wave a middle finger to the people on Nairaland that are advising you to throw away your happiness and future because your man doesnt believe in fairy tales. Its just a fairly tale and after that, you have prince charming besides you. For you to lay out all the attributes of this man shows he is really your special one for you. Dont throw it away because of sentiments from people here who have serious bad belle for you that they dont have a Mr Right and will never have one. They will spend all their days and night in night virgils looking for your kind of man with those qualities but will never see. If this man is about to promise you martial bliss, take it up. 10yrs down the road, your parents will become wiser and happier that a responsible and mature man married their daughter who is taking care of you which is their ultimate dream for any child and they will forget their stupid hypocritical anger at you now. Your friends would probably be divorced at the age of 40 dreaming of having gigolos to satisfy them or better still still hoping into bad relationships by boys who claim to be christians but use that style to hood wink them foolishly but will never marry them or good christians that beat the living crap out of them and your pastor would have probably stolen the whole money of the church, fled to the bahamas and spending all his loot on prostitutes there and would even forget you. So Thats life my dear. Dont think of today, think of tomorrow. As long as he hasnt stopped you for once for being a christian and even drives you to church, respect his wishes while he respects yours, if not he will continue to be merciless to Christians around you if they provoke him.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2010
^^^ Interesting post. I don't agree with everything posted, but I agree - this lady must make her choice, based upon what she wants, not others.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by 190: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2010
EshuKemi:

Some people here are just replying nonsense because they are too sentimental with their Religion and christianity. Lets go through the main issues here again. She loves him. He takes care of her. He respects her. He is kind and lovely to her. He is romantic to her. She calls him her prince charming. He doesnt beat her. He wants to marry her and she is almost 30. What else does a girl want again and she has the kind of man all girls pray and do night virgil for at her side but you guys are advising her to leave him because he doesnt believe in that crappy unbelievable book you call the bible? undecided

At least she confessed that she has dated the so called pastors, born again, church loving guys and holy spirit wannables before and they have left her heart broken. Where were you guys to make things right for her? Why didnt the pastor hate on those ones that almost destroyed her life. Now her parents, silly friends and a very retarded pastor i must say is not happy she is dating an atheist. If she listens to them and leaves the guy, what are the guarantee that she would meet another guy that loves her so much like this before she hits 35? What if she doesnt meet anyone that matches up to her standard, must she play the role of second best because he believes in one bloody fable that somebody rose up from the dead? I would rather respect a person who is true to himself and dogma and not change styles or lifestyle because it will please other people. The b/f has done no wrong except to say the truth that Religion is a farce and Christianity is a hoax but after that, he is her prince charming.

Listen poster: Forget what your silly pastor is saying about your b/f. Tell your friends who dont like your b/f to Zap off. Tell your parents and family to mind their freaking business and wave a middle finger to the people on Nairaland that are advising you to throw away your happiness and future because your man doesnt believe in fairy tales. Its just a fairly tale and after that, you have prince charming besides you. For you to lay out all the attributes of this man shows he is really your special one for you. Dont throw it away because of sentiments from people here who have serious bad belle for you that they dont have a Mr Right and will never have one. They will spend all their days and night in night virgils looking for your kind of man with those qualities but will never see. If this man is about to promise you martial bliss, take it up. 10yrs down the road, your parents will become wiser and happier that a responsible and mature man married their daughter who is taking care of you which is their ultimate dream for any child and they will forget their silly hypocritical anger at you now. Your friends would probably be divorced at the age of 40 dreaming of having gigolos to satisfy them or better still still hoping into bad relationships by boys who claim to be christians but use that style to hood wink them foolishly but will never marry them or good christians that beat the living crap out of them and your pastor would have probably stolen the whole money of the church, fled to the bahamas and spending all his loot on love-peddlers there and would even forget you. So Thats life my dear. Dont think of today, think of tomorrow. As long as he hasnt stopped you for once for being a christian and even drives you to church, respect his wishes while he respects yours, if not he will continue to be merciless to Christians around you if they provoke him.

poster if you must listen 2 anybody

listen 2 this guy!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by dipo4info: 6:21pm On Apr 11, 2010
Young lady,is only God that can give someone best in life.you may have it in your mind that is the best guy for you 2marry,look am not saying you shuld cut off your relationship, but b4 you people get marry look for a good pastor t2 pray for you maybe that guy is your husband or not, if the guy is your husband go for him,but if the guy is not ur husbnd younglady !!! DON'T TRY IT.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Niiade(m): 6:50pm On Apr 11, 2010
I KNOW THAT IT IS HARD TO JUST LEAVE YOUR BF, AND IT WILL BE HARD TO JUST DUMP FAMILY, FOR YOUR BF. I DONT ATTEND CHURCH ANYMORE BECAUSE OF THE BEHAVIOUR OF MY CHURCH MEMBERS, THEY LIVE LIES THEY DONT DO WHAT IS PREACHED IN THE CHURCH AND I SEE THE GIRLS AT STRANGE PLACE, THERE WAS THIS DAY I SAW ONE OF THE SU IN MY CHURCH COME INTO MY OFFICE TO SEE MY FRIEND WHO WORKED WITH ME THEN ONLY FOR HIM TO TAKE HER TO THE SECURITY POST AND HAVE INTIMACY WITH HER I WAS SHOCKED.
I WILL TELL YOU TO CHECK UP WELL ON YOUR BF, MAKE SURE ALL YOU HAVE SAID IS REAL AND NOT THAT WHEN YOU FINALLY GET MARRIED HE CHANGES TO SOMETHING ELSE.TALK TO HIM ABOUT ISSUES, WHEN YOU HAVE KIDS WHAT WILL BE THE RELIGION FOR THE KIDS,WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU WANT TO ATTEND VIGILS AND OTHER ISSUES ABOUT MARRIAGE. IF HE RESPECTS YOU AND ALLOWS YOU TO ATTEND CHURCH AND CONTINUE TO PRAY TO GOD THEN THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM.YOU THEN HAVE TO SIT YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS DOWN AND TELL THEM YOUR DECISION AND BEG THEM TO SUPPORT YOU ON THIS ISSUE. BUT IF THEY REFUSE I GUESS YOUR PARENTS WILL NOT BE HAPPY BUT THEY CANT HATE YOU FOREVER WITH TIME THEY WILL COME AROUND YOUR DECISION.
DONT JUST MARRY HIM JUST BECAUSE OF LOVE SEARCH YOUR HEART AND DEBATE OTHER IMPORTANT ISSUES NEEDED FOR MARRIAGE WITH HIM.IF YOU ARE OK WITH THE ANSWERS THEN GO AHEAD, BUT DO NOT FORGET DO NOT BLAME US NAIRALANDERS,OR YOUR FRIENDS FOR WHATEVER OUTCOME THAT COME OUT OF WHAT YOU DECIDE,IF YOU WANT HIM GO FOR HIM WITH NO REGRETS IN MIND AND IF YOU CAN T MARRY HIM THEN LEAVE HIM WITH NO REGRETS IN MIND REGARDLESS OF THE OUTCOME OF BOTH DECISIONS,ACCEPT YOUR FATE AND MAKE YOU LIFE BETTER RATHER THAN CRY OVER ISSUE YEARS LATTER.TAKE YOUR TIME AND I AM SURE YOU WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION,BELIEVE IN YOURSELF TRUST IN YOUR FAITH, AND EVERYTHING WILL BE GOOD. GOODLUCK WISH YOU A HAPPY MARRIED LIFE IF YOU GO AHEAD.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by BloodShed1: 8:07pm On Apr 11, 2010
Interesting.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by rickie4us(m): 8:14pm On Apr 11, 2010
Missy B:

It's much easier to tell You what I think You want to hear - 'Go ahead, marry him'.
Sorry but No, I'D Love to offer a candid opinion. If I were Your Friend or Relative, I wouldn't be excited about the Idea either. No, I'm not a Religion fanatic but sensitive issues like marriage should be handled with care from the onset before it's too late and then Reality becomes personal.

On what ground do You want to build Your family?
How much good is the marriage going to do to Your spiritual Life?
What teachings are Your kids going to have?

Marriage is a BIG deal and is complicated enough with little issues like 'who eats what'.
This is going to be a big problem, unless You aren't a practicing christian.

Travelista:

Sweetie, this is a tough one but let me tell you this: The Devil can quote Scripture as well as any apostle; don't EVER forget that. I have friends that are atheists and they respect my religious beliefs and don't go about trying to 'debate' how I'm wrong. THAT'S love. You are too blind to see it but your boyfriend is trying to pull you over into atheism because to him, it's about winning (judging from you're statement about the debate he had with your church friends). And may I ask, how strong is YOUR faith because I can't imagine how you're able to reconcile the obvious disrespect of Christ (who, if you're a Christian, you know is your one and only Lord and Savior) just because you love this guy. How do you think he will react to your religion after the wedding? What about when it comes time to have children? Are you sure this man is worth being cast out of your family for? Sounds like a divide and conquer tactic employed by the Devil himself on numerous occasions to me. Adding in your age (sorry girl but let's keep it 100), you want to get married something fierce. Don't even try and lie about it because I'm still trying to understand how a Christian could even put up with a situation like this unless there was something else keeping them in such a relationship.

It's a test. This man has you questioning your faith and seeing him as the only one for you. No bueno, ma and you know it.

GBAM
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
There is growing trend i have been seeing with this new form of atheism . . . it is visceral in its hatred of anything christian, sometimes violent and elicits the worst kind of dislike.

For instance, i do not believe in Sango, but i dont go foaming in the mouth at the site of sango worshippers. Notice these from the OPs boyfriend . . .

He helps people at will and takes no offence whatso ever at my excesses except i over do it to a fault and[b] instead of getting mad at me to hit me or abuse me, he just walks away for an hour or 2[/b] and comes back as if nothing happens.

This guy must be gold . . . doesnt sound like anything upsets him but then . . .

Anytime i come back from Church and talk about my pastor or what i was taught, he gets very angry.

This looks like an "innocent" kind of anger but is it? why is this guy calm, cool and collected about EVERYTHING else but goes crazy at the mere mention of Jesus?

He doesnt like hearing anything about pastors, churches, tithes and sermons but when you get into a biblical argument with him, its as if he knows the bible inside out and the right quotes without even reading it. He is that articulate.

Satan knows the bible too, far better than the greatest preacher on earth . . . but knowing the scriptures is completely different from living it. Seems your boyfriend knows the bible verses simply as a weapon to denigrate it.

Now to the OP. . .

There was even a day some people in my fellowship came to meet him to pray and convert him and it turned into a debate and he ended up winning the argument and making us question or faith back in a total reversal of roles.

Quite clearly . . . neither YOU nor your church members understand the bible at all.

If i go ahead with my choice to stick with him, i lose my soul and my community but gain happiness because he has truely being a wonderful man so far but if i leave him for my friends, family and community i might lose my prince charming that every woman dreams of that loves me dearly.

You ma'am will only gain temporary happiness with this man. I'm sorry but no man (nor woman) is worthy of losing my soul in hell, faith in Christ and my entire family. Your "prince charming" may be ok with you going to church now but have you ever considered what happens WHEN you eventually become his wife? Would he stand the sight of you and his kids forever hoping from church to bible study, night vigils or prayer meetings? Would you have the freedom of praying in your own bedroom? What will his reaction be when he sees you reading the bible when he wants you doing something else? I think you are forgetting something very important - a marriage where the man and woman are divided on something as major as spiritual compatibility is one headed for disaster and misery for you.

When you have problems in this marriage who will you turn to? the mother, father and pastors you despised to marry your "prince charming"? You say that you are a "strong christian" but NO WHERE in your write-up did i read about you asking God if this man is truly His choice for you. You seem to be carried along by your infatuation for this man. . .

It is said that no matter how rich a young man is, he can never have as many rags as an old man. Your parents love you more than you think, you may be an adult and able to make your own decisions . . . but i'd be wary to marry someone my parents have deep reservations for.

Good luck to you
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by BloodShed1: 2:57am On Apr 12, 2010
Sia Fuller:

He hasn't hit me before and also swore the day that he hits me mistakenly i should stab him and dump him there and then because he doesnt appreciate Men who beat women.

OH!

NOW I see why you want to keep him. He sounds like a pvssy HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

So it isn't about his lack of belief, you just want a man you can take advantage of. Hitting is the ultimate form of disrespect and any man who'd let that slide is not a real man.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by indie22(f): 4:37am On Apr 12, 2010
After all the advice, its up to you what you want and who you wanna be with. He sounds like a great guy, but you seem to be thinking without putting your future into consideration. You've got children coming you know, seems to me that's where the wahala will start from.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Sagamite(m): 7:26am On Apr 12, 2010
Hmmm, do the OP and I know each other?

Or do I have a twin brother I am not aware of?

She seems to have just described me, except I don't know her or can't relate to the emotions and scenarios she described at the moment in my life.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by kpolli(m): 10:51am On Apr 12, 2010
everyman needs a comma, well we now see his
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Travelista(f): 1:17pm On Apr 12, 2010
kpolli:

everyman needs a comma, well we now see his

I had to think about this one for a second before I got it; ain't it the truth though?
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by TewMuch: 1:28pm On Apr 12, 2010
I think a belief system is important when choosing a spouse. Its easier for the family, and makes for a more unified belief, moral and value system. Its either you become atheist for love or you go with your family and find someone else. I have a wonderful family, and i trust their opinions. I take whatever they tell me, even if it is something i will not like to hear. It has helped me so far, and i will always have their support just in case things dont go my way. Family support is very very important, especially if you come from a good and trusting family, which you love so much. Goodluck on your decision. kiss
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Orikinla(m): 1:44pm On Apr 12, 2010
The hood does not make the monk.

ONLY AN IGNORANT FOOL IS AN ATHEIST and I have addressed this online and will not want to repeat myself.
I even addressed this with the late educationist and humanist Tai Solarin.

Even the devil can be more morally upright than majority of those who claim to be Christians.

No true Christian will lose in any discussion on the existence of God with an atheist.
No true Christian will argue about God.
Jesus Christ did not command us to argue the Word of God.
Simply preach and practice the TRUTH and leave it as it is to be accepted or rejected.
You do not force anyone to accept your belief.
CHRISTIANITY IS LOVE and LOVE IS NOT BY FORCE.

As I commented on the same topic on the Religion Board, NO TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL SLEEP WITH AN ATHEIST.
Atheism is a SPIRIT of falsehood working in rebellion against the IDENTITY, AUTHORITY AND DIVINITY AND SUPREMACY OF GOD.

Why most humans, especially impressionable and vulnerable young women fall into such temptations and traps is their lack of knowledge of the TRUTH.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Sagamite(m): 2:28pm On Apr 12, 2010
Orikinla:

ONLY AN IGNORANT FOOL IS AN ATHEIST and I have addressed this online and will not want to repeat myself.

Can you point us to where you addressed it?
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2010
I believe people should be allowed to make choices in life. He has made his own and there is no need to crucify him for that.

However, it's time to make your own choice! Are you willing to spend the rest of your life with someone, no matter how perfect, who doesn't beleive in God? Do you belive in enternity enought to know that you stand the chance of missing out in heaven because of your association with an unbeliever?

It's true that you've met some 'born agains' who have been unkind to you, but it's not always religion that makes a person good. But that is a faith we profess as christians . . that Jesus is lord! Are you willing to marry someone who makes a mockery of that?

That being said. It's your life, so make your decision and live with it!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by 190: 2:39pm On Apr 12, 2010
Orikinla:

The hood does not make the monk.

I even addressed this with the late educationist and humanist Tai Solarin.

Even the devil can be more morally upright than majority of those who claim to be Christians.

No true Christian will lose in any discussion on the existence of God with an atheist.
No true Christian will argue about God.
Jesus Christ did not command us to argue the Word of God.
Simply preach and practice the TRUTH and leave it as it is to be accepted or rejected.
You do not force anyone to accept your belief.
CHRISTIANITY IS LOVE and LOVE IS NOT BY FORCE.

As I commented on the same topic on the Religion Board, NO TRUE CHRISTIAN WILL SLEEP WITH AN ATHEIST.
Atheism is a SPIRIT of falsehood working in rebellion against the IDENTITY, AUTHORITY AND DIVINITY AND SUPREMACY OF GOD.

Why most humans, especially impressionable and vulnerable young women fall into such temptations and traps is their lack of knowledge of the TRUTH.

SO WHAT R U SAYING NOW
make she follow am or make she bone!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Striker1(m): 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2010
SOME OF U NITWITS HERE ARE TALKING BS, SO IMMA KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE !

EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO A BELIEF SYSTEM - SIMPLE !

YOU CAN CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IN GOD, SANGO, A CANOE OR A SHOE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD ! - WHATEVER FLOATS UR BOAT LOVE !

SHE CLEARLY STATED SHE IS FREE TO PRACTICE HER XTIANITY - OKPARI !

SHE ALSO CLEARLY STATED THAT HER 'PEOPLE' ALWAYS TRY AND CONVERT HIM ! - WAHALA DEY OH !!

YOU SEE TO AN ATHEIST, THERE IS NO BIGGER INSULT THAN TO TRY AND CONVERT THEM, COS WHT UR SAYING IS, YOU'RE RIGHT AND THEY'RE WRONG, SO HERE U ARE THROWING THEM A LIFELINE ! - I'D GET MAD TOO IF A MUSLIM WAS TRYING TO CONVERT ME !!!! - LIVE AND LET LIVE PEOPLE !!!!

SOME OF U LONELY HAGS WHO ARE TELLING HER NOT TO MARRY THIS DUDE , THIS STORY OF THIS GUY WILL BE AS CLOSE U'D EVER GET TO KNOWING A PERFECT GUY, BUT I GUESS HE ISNT SO PERFECT IN UR EYES because HE BELIEVES IN SOMETHING ELSE , WHAT A WORLD WE LIVE IN !

MY DEAR, GOOD U'VE COME HERE TO SEEEK OUR OPINION, BUT U CANT POSSIBLY LISTEN TO EVERYONE, COS WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT AND ARE BOUND TO TELL YOU DIFFERENT THINGS - OUR OPINIONS ! NOT THE TRUTH , COS NO ONE KNOWS THE FUTURE !

BUT THIS IS MINE - IF I WERE A GIRL AND IN UR SHOES - I'D TAKE THE CHANCE ! COS THE 'DEVIL' I DO KNOW IS BETTER THAN THE ANGEL(THE PROPHETS AND SELF RIGHTEOUS PIGS) I KNOW !,

AS FOR UR KIDS AND WHAT THEY NEED TO BE DOIN, I'M SURE DIPLOMACY WILL PREVAIL, THEY'LL FIND THEIR OWN WAY, JUST THESAME WAY YOU FOUND URS - GOD WILL SEEK OUT HIS OWN - HE ALWAYS DOES - RIGHT ?

ONE LOVE LADIES AND GENTLEMEN !

P.S SORRY I COULDN'T KEEP THIS SHORT AS PROMISED !,

RELIGION IS A CHOICE, IF GOD WANTED US ALL TO BELIEVE IN HIM AND NOT HAVE A CHOICE, I'M SURE HE WOULD HAVE FIGURED OUT A WAY AROUND THAT, HE'S OMNIPOTENT REMEMBER !!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by minute(f): 6:06pm On Apr 12, 2010
Your Both headed straight to hell so whats it matter. undecided undecided undecided
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 7:35pm On Apr 12, 2010
minute:

Your Both headed straight to hell so whats it matter. undecided undecided undecided

And I guess you're qualified to say who goes to hell, and who doesn't?
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 12, 2010
Siena:

And I guess you're qualified to say who goes to hell, and who doesn't?

Its as clear as daylight in the bible. Political correctness aside of course.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Tribute To Nigerian Women: The Best Wives, Girlfriends, And Mothers In D World / Photo: Female Student Proposed To Her Boyfriend Inside Class / Pretty Ghanaian Star With Massive Butt Is Causing Commotion Online (photos+video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.